• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Fall 2020 Mafia - Game Thread

Persephone

Infinite Screms
Pronouns
her/hers
Partners
  1. mawile
  2. vulpix-alola
I personally think my role makes sense? The flavor of it is about rejecting the idea that there are 'good' and 'bad' guys in favor of spirits on both 'sides' trying to get the mortals to kill each other for their own amusement. To that end, I win if all the people actually firing shots are gone. I'm not sure how common it is, but it seems a decent alternative to the werewolf in that the game isn't radically accelerated, my victory is compatible with another side's, and there's still a player who wants both sides to suffer heavily.

minimal flavor posts on being sus of the nature of the game as presented:

“This isn’t how spirits work You’re just trying to talk us into killing each other for your own amusement. Nah, screw that. Screw you."

"At least everyone lived." Except, of course, for the person he'd helped kill. The innocent person he'd helped kill. And there was still no proof that there even were evil spirits possessing the living. It was entirely possible that their hosts were just playing a sick game with their guests, seeing if they would kill each other over nothing.

It was a solid bet that they would.

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
Hey uhh... I'm sick. Not well enough to go back and do any last minute thoughts rn. I'm gonna keep my vote where it is... BUT. I do want to say if persephone gets voted off and is town. Her claims might be worth looking into. Bc on the off chance they are true, that ... Well I'm not sure what it means and I've got too much of a headache to try and sort it out.

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
Actually, now that I think about it... Vote: Persephone .

Here's my reasoning: we get more info out of voting her than we do DW. If she's mafia like most of us think, then thats one less mafia to worry about and we can move on to the next most suspicious members on the next day.

But if she flips town, then there's good reason to believe she's telling the truth about the setup. And honestly, if we can at all take flavor text into account, I can believe her setup claim. And with that setup in mind we can make better educated guesses on who the mafia is on the next day.

Persephone

Infinite Screms
Pronouns
her/hers
Partners
  1. mawile
  2. vulpix-alola
I object to the argument that clearing me makes things clearer than killing Tanuki or DW, where it is exceedingly improbable that town has two roleblockers, which are usually a scum role. One is almost certainly a mafia blocker thinking that their actual role was the safest fakeclaim. If one flips town, the other is almost certainly scum. And vice-versa, since I can't believe that the mafia would counterclaim each other.

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
I've mulled over Perse's claim a bit and... I don't think it makes sense. Not as TR's first ITP, at least. It feels too complicated. Like, way too complicated. I feel like for something you would likely expect to be someone's first experience with ITP, you'd want a Survivor, maybe a SK, or a one-target Lyncher or Unlyncher with no extra powers. She claims to have softed that, her saying that "That's not how spirits work" just feels like Kekoa not being used to spirits working like they do here because they work differently in Broken Things. And her second supposed soft... it still just feels like Kekoa, to me.

Vote: Persephone

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
Quick update before EoD, may not post after this one. DawningWinds expressed the same thoughts I have about Persephone's roleclaim. Still think she is sus, but Shiny Phantump convinced me to change my vote. Better going for information now instead of later maybe, so vote: DawningWinds.

Starlight Aurate

Ad Jesum per Mariam | pfp by kintsugi
Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
Updated reads because I'm probably about to die in an hour:
windskull - If Tanuki is scum, windskull is obviously town. Their watcher claim seems to be likely true based on last night as well.

DawningWinds

Persephone - Awfully convenient that she claimed she asked about the Seraph Knight thing AFTER someone else claimed. And the Mafia number- nobody except the Mafia can confirm it, which means regardless of whether it's true or not, it's an easy fakeclaim. Her fakeclaiming Oracle and lying about knowing how many scum there are is very bleh. It would've made more sense to just claim Survivor if she's telling the truth. Aside from that, she was on the Del wagon, and her motivation for that is the least clear to me. Overall she's not looking great.

Equitia - He seems well-intentioned with his voting me, and with the only way he's lying about his role is if he's scum with Tanuki. Which is pretty likely since Tanuki is likely scum, but why would Tanuki block his teammate? And if he's lying, would it really be smart to risk this since, there is likely someone who can counterclaim his block? Tanuki and Equitia do seem to have landed another "Equitia can only be scum if Tanuki is scum with him" situation, though, which I'm not sure how to feel about. Could just be a coincidence, though.

Fusion

Waffle - Still kinda lurky/seems like she's trying to blend in. Claim looks a better unless she's scum blocker, which would be weird because I don't see almost a third of the game being blockers.

DeliriousAbsol

Tanuki - I just doubt two town blockers. I don't see it happening. His acting night zero doesn't make much sense from a town perspective. Otherwise Tanuki looks pretty decent.

Shiny Phantump - Her being proven to be most likely passive as she said makes me feel slightly better, especially with Perse's Bulletproof-like claim. Knowing she didn't carry out the kill also makes me feel better. Not much about her actual play makes me feel strongly about her, and her role is still alignment neutral, not enough to bring her up to lime. (If you recall, I said to pretend she was Tanuki-Waffle colored on the previous list, though, so is an improvement.)

SparklingEspeon - Her Seraph Knight claim has no confirmation whatsoever. She claims to have moved last night but we don't know who she supposedly targeted, just that she didn't go with Equitia. I've reconsidered my stance on her low activity, I feel like it's probably NAI.

(Yes, this absolutely just an edited version of my last one. I'm lazy and very little has changed.)

(And windskull's color is supposed to be between lime and Equitia's color. Sorry if that's not clear.)

Starlight Aurate

Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
Wedding bells chime as Ashwood steps out from the tent, garbed in a lacy white shirt and dazzling cape. Capes are all the rage for weddings, apparently. Desper stands at the end of an aisle made of dead trees, rocks, and the occasional pumpkin. Tears leak from the Raichu’s eyes. He had cleaned up well— his boots are shined and he has a black vest over a white shirt. His cowboy hat hangs in his hand, and his trusty pistol still hangs at his side.

What would his parents say about him marrying a human? But that doesn’t matter—his parents aren’t there, and nothing would prevent him from partaking in this wedding in the middle of a haunted place infested with spirits where the various townspeople were hanging each other. None of that mattered. Because he was in love.

But Desper and Ashwood seem to be the only two actively participating in festivities. Off to the side, all of the others except for Detective Looker are hurling accusations at each other.

“They dun’ ma’er,” Desper says as he takes Ashwood’s hand in his own. “Hol’ off lynchin’ today, missus and misters! This ‘ere’s a ‘appy day fur me ‘n my beloved!”

Iona sits with her legs crossed and her chin resting on her palm as she watches the Raichu and human profess their love for each other. It seems pointless—by now, most likely, they’re all going to die. But, if Ashwood and Desper want this, who was she to stop them?

As the Raichu pulls out a handkerchief and blows his nose, Kekoa raises his voice. "I say Desper goes down."

“I say we get rid of Iona, and then we can celebrate!” Ashwood announces.

At Ashwood’s words, the rest of the people and Pokemon start pointing fingers at the young Pokemon trainer.

Iona, admittedly, doesn't do much to defend herself—she looked bad and she admitted it. She always did—nobody really trusted her. Not here, not back home. She doesn't want to die, but she can't really do anything about it.

As the others reach a consensus, Iona crosses her arms behind her head and closes her eyes, disappearing from the strange plane of existence completely.

The smiles vanish from everyone’s faces—including Desper’s and Ashwood’s—as they realize what they’ve done.

DawningWinds has been eliminated. She was Innocent. Night 3 will take place for the next 48 hours and ends at Midnight UTC/8 PM EST October 21.

Final vote:
1 skip: Tanuki
2 Persephone: Waffle, DawningWinds
4 DawningWinds: Shiny Phantump, windskull, Persephone, Equitia

Not voting: SparklingEspeon

Day 4 Start

Starlight Aurate

Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
It was surprising he'd survived that long, if he could spare a second of tactless snark to say. A detective, perhaps the only detective here, would be a striking but certain kill in a game of wits and deception. He still felt the knife in his back, cold, sharp and surrounded by numbing pain.

If anything, the only thought he could muster through all the shock was that it had been so sudden. A knife in his back, and just like that he had only seconds to live. He'd never even know who his murderer was. Such an unfitting way for a detective to go out.

The seconds ticked by like hours. Looker's last thought was to ask himself if death really was final here; would he just be ejected from the game, or would he die for good? Had they all been gambling their lives for the sake of a pointless sport? Either way, he supposed, he was about to find out. For better or for worse.

His vision faded, and he hit the ground.

-----------

As morning arrives, the wind howls through the hills and over the gloomy landscape. A creature of some sort can be heard adding its song to the moaning and groaning of the wind and restless spirits. People and Pokemon alike emerge from the tents and burrows, casually yawning and stretching. At this point, they’ve grown accustomed to the nights passing uneventfully. Looker would take count, announce that it was safe, and the day would go on with accusations, a wedding, and eventually a lynching.

But while everyone waits for the familiar deep voice to say, “It’s okay, we’re all here,” their spirits dim and they looked around. Luna gasps as she reaches down and picks up a magnifying glass, cracks spiderwebbing over its surface.

“They finally took one,” Shimmer mutters faintly.

Detective Looker (SparklingEspeon) was killed. He was Innocent. Day 4 begins and will last for 48 hours until Midnight UTC/8 PM EST October 23.

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
Will come back with something maybe tonight, definitely tomorrow. Whatever the case, I think it's clear that the mafia are Tanuki, Persephone, and maybe Phantump if there's a third.

Please try to find holes with my logic though. After all, my last two choices turned out to be innocent.

So sorry, DawningWinds :cry:

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
Well, to start off with. I'd like to know why Tanuki chose to block Waffle. If you're innocent, why the heck would you choose to block someone who might be a doctor? I know you were somewhat suspicious of myself and Waffle, but there were better options!

Top Bottom