• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Railgun

Johto trash.
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. raichu
Spr_B2W2_Lance.png
Elevated
Spr_B2W2_Jasmine.png

Rating:
K
Characters: Lance, Jasmine
Pairing: Fairytaleshipping (Lance/Jasmine)
Summary: When winter returns, Lance forgets how much he hates it.
Genres: Romance
Links: Archive of Our Own | Fanfiction.net
Author's Note: I know it has been a long time since I updated my main Pokémon fanfic, Tempered Skies. If you have read it, rest assured I'm still working on it and will post the next chapter when ready. Just wanted to post this for the time being. Thought I'd write another piece about my favorite and underrated Pokémon ship.
Pokémon © GameFreak and Nintendo.

Lance detests winter. For it is isolating and haunting, weakening him much like the dragons he trains. He exhales out a puff of steam, his breath visible. The sky is a blanket of clouds that match the color of his eyes. Dull. Gray.

Beneath, his feet are planted onto the sheet of snow. The soil beneath is barren much like his current state of mind. Unfeeling.

He knows the cold will pass, but it always feels like an eternity. So, he waits.

He returns to the same place by springtime. The snow is gone, with murky puddles around the field. His boots become stained with mud, and his hair is dampened by drizzle.

As the rain stops, the clouds roll away and the sun shines over the field. He sees her. The plain dainty girl whose brown hair shines a golden hue under the sunlight. She smiles and waves, welcoming him. Her name? Jasmine.

Somehow, everything starts to go by faster.

By summer, the field's flowers are in full bloom. Colors spiral all about. It is said a beautiful rainbow appears once a dragonair quells a storm with its aura. Lance sees it now, and Jasmine is the one who shows it.

He doesn't mind. In fact, he feels something strong. Especially when the girl's pink lips curve up, with her hazel eyes shining bright as the sunlight's reflection over Olivine's sea.

He is attracted to her, like a moth to a flame. He becomes so lost in her eyes that by the time he looks away, the sun sets.

The autumn leaves fall onto a dirt path. The wind picks up and Jasmine's teal dress flutters. A slight chill hits her skin and its hairs rise up. She feels cold, but it flees once she is scooped up into Lance's arms. A grin sweeps across his face as he cradles her.

She blushes as he brushes his lips against hers. He doesn't want to let her go, nor does she.

Night falls and he carries her back home, ignoring the temperature drop.

When winter returns, Lance forgets how much he hates it.

Author's Note: The inspiration for this piece comes from a Lo-Fi Hip Hop song on my playlist called Elevated by jrd.

Have a listen!

Also available on Spotify if you use it. (Spotify Premium is my saving grace for writing... and driving, haha.)

Feedback is appreciated, thanks for reading! :)

Last edited:

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Glad to see another fic from you! A nice short, sweet fic that does a good job of showcasing your ship. I'm always a sucker for stories that lean into the passage of the seasons and changes in the natural world to reflect the changes in characters and their relationships, so I enjoyed all the descriptions of the natural environment here. Probably my favorite detail was the mention of dragonair causing rainbows after using their power, which I thought did a really nice job of tying the natural themes directly to Lance and his dragons.

It makes me wonder where this might be taking place--north of Olivine, maybe? I wouldn't expect to find so many fields in the city, but there are all those farms not too far away.

All in all a nice sense of progression. I think the story does a nice job of showing the growth in Lance and Jasmine's relationship and does a good job of covering a broad span of time in a small amount of space. Fits the vibe of the music well, too. :) It's good to hear that you're still working on your main fic, and I hope your writing goes well!

Some minor typos etc. under the spoiler if you're interested.

For it is isolating and haunting, a weakness much like the dragons he trains.
I like the connection of Lance's dislike of winter to the ice weakness his dragons have, but I think the wording is a little off here. Right now it reads as "winter is a weakness," which I don't think is quite what you're getting it. Maybe "weakening him" rather than "a weakness?"

The plain dainty girl whose brown hair leaves a golden hue under the sunlight.
"Leaves" strikes me as an odd word here, like there's this golden haze that sticks around after she departs. Maybe "shines" or "shows?"

Until its next visit.
This line confused me a little, since it sounds like Lance is going to be waiting for winter's return, but the next time he comes back it's spring.

Colors spiraled all about.
I think you want "spiral" to put this in present tense.

When winter returns, Lance forgets how much hates it.
Just missing a word, "he" hates it.

Railgun

Johto trash.
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. raichu
Glad to see another fic from you! A nice short, sweet fic that does a good job of showcasing your ship. I'm always a sucker for stories that lean into the passage of the seasons and changes in the natural world to reflect the changes in characters and their relationships, so I enjoyed all the descriptions of the natural environment here. Probably my favorite detail was the mention of dragonair causing rainbows after using their power, which I thought did a really nice job of tying the natural themes directly to Lance and his dragons.

It makes me wonder where this might be taking place--north of Olivine, maybe? I wouldn't expect to find so many fields in the city, but there are all those farms not too far away.

All in all a nice sense of progression. I think the story does a nice job of showing the growth in Lance and Jasmine's relationship and does a good job of covering a broad span of time in a small amount of space. Fits the vibe of the music well, too. :) It's good to hear that you're still working on your main fic, and I hope your writing goes well!
Oh, thank you so much for commenting Negrek! I really appreciate you took the time to review my story. It was a short and simple writing exercise. Honestly, it's been so long since I dabbled in fanfiction. Lately, my mind has been wandering toward original ideas, but I am still working on my main fanfic. I am just slow with updates, unfortunately. D:

Appreciate the critiques and the typo corrections, I'll be sure to tidy it up. My ship is underrated but I just enjoy writing about it. Glad to know people are reading my silly little musings about Lance and Jasmine, haha. :smile:

I didn't think much of the setting's location but I suppose it being near Olivine makes sense. There is farmland nearby if I recall. Like the side quest where you had to give oran berries to a sick miltank? I remember that in HGSS.

Finally, music is my biggest inspiration for writing. I listen daily, can't help myself!

Thank you again. I hope you're doing well with your writing too!

Railgun

Johto trash.
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. raichu
Hey howdy! Posting my review first here then to the forums. Been experimenting with some plugins for text reading.
Saw your review on Ao3! Now I am here reading the rest of it.
I like the shorter, broken up (that isn't the right word but whatever) style of this piece. You can tell a story that spans a year in just a few hundred words.
Yee, that was the plan. :P
Is this supposed to be the start of spring? It's a bit confusing here, because there's no mention of the season, but other than that it generally follows the structure of the other scenes.
You bring up a good point, should probably clarify that. I felt like leaving out it was spring because I felt the line break would make it obvious it was the next season. I guess not...
* dampened *
Fack.
This should be restructured as:
"Especially when the girl's pink lips curve up, with her hazel eyes shining bright as the sunlight's reflection over Olivine's sea."
Will fix.

Again thank you so much for reviewing. Fairytaleshipping is underrated but I wanna keep giving it love by writing about it. 😭At the same time, my mind has been plagued with original ideas that I am slowing down with fanfiction. I am still working on my main fic though! I have over 3k words for the next chapter... I will finish it, I will! :copyka:

Top Bottom