• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Non-Pokémon Digimon Mystery Dungeon: Defying Logic

spinaltapdancer3

Lost my cloud pfp pic. :(
Pronouns
he, they
Warning: This is "technically" PG-13 as the f word appears written out exactly one time, meaning I'm pg-13 by MPAA rating standards. There is still quite a bit of swearing, usually typed out as something like ^%@* or some such. Also, probably some violence as well. Not entirely certain where this fic is going so may get other tags as time goes on.

spinaltapdancer3

Pronouns
he, they
Chapter 1
"Again."

"He's going to be late Again."

Seriously what the heck did he discover that's been keeping him away.

I stared at my phone. The recent text message shining back at me.

"Sorry can't make it home again. I left some food in the fridge."

I sighed, set the phone down.

Seriously he works at a computer lab for the government, what the hell do they have him doing that's taking so much time?

-o-

Chinese takeout for dinner.

Tasted surprisingly good given it was 2 days old. Guess meat drenched in sauces with rice wasn't that prone to tasting bad after a while. Or they just packed it with preservatives.

High school book bag on the counter. Haven't even started the homework due soon.

Wish my dad came back soon… kind of lonely without mom around anymore.

I sighed, I wasn't in the mood for eating. I wasn't in the mood for doing homework.

Might as well go to bed.

-o-

I took a shower.

The hot steam curling around my body.

I wasn't even washing myself, just enjoying the sensation of warm water.

Guess I had that going for me. Could be worse I guess? Could be in some slum, starving to death. They say you should be grateful for what you have. It was considered rude to gripe about life while you lived in a first world country or something.

-o-

I was getting into bed when I heard the door open.

Dad was back.

I heard some shuffling, then a microwave starting.

Guess he didn't go grocery shopping, guess he was going to eat leftovers as well.

It was nice having someone in the house again. Used to be my friend would keep me company, but they were part of a military family.

They moved about a year ago for a new assignment. Some base out in some tropical paradise.

Hadn't really made any other friends at school, and I didn't really know anyone else.

Didn't really feel like getting to know anyone.

-o-

Stared at the digital clock on my nightstand.

A bright red 2:32, surrounded by inky darkness, stared back at me.

I wasn't going to sleep anytime soon.

I got up, and quietly tiptoed to the kitchen.

I hope I didn't wake up Dad, he's probably exhausted from work.

I started for the fridge. But then stopped.

Next to my book bag was my dad's computer bag.

It was glowing.

What the hell?

I went over and opened the bag.

Dad's computer was glowing.

What?

Seriously his computer was glowing. The hard black case was glowing a soft blue color. I opened up his computer. His screen was glowing a light Cerulean. I tapped some buttons. Nothing happened.

I sighed, probably shouldn't be messing with his stuff anyway.

But still, it was really cool. I'd have to ask my dad how he was able to make his computer glow like that.

Maybe I should take a picture?

I started back for my room.

"…he…lp."

I spun around.

"Who's there!?" I shouted.

I heard some stumbling down the hall. Probably dad getting up. Good.

"Come out where I can see you."

"..he…lp…m…e."

The computer gave a light pulse before dimming.

Wait, did the computer just talk?

The computer pulsed again.

I heard footsteps coming down the hallway.

I tepidly inched towards the computer. Eyeing it warily.

The computer started to really light up. It was really glowing blue now. The room was a blue shade from all the light the computer was giving off.

"the…com…g."

I heard my father come in.

"What's going on?"

"I dunno you're computer is talk-"

My hand brushed against the glowing computer.

A massive portal opened up beneath me and I was sent plummeting into inky darkness.

spinaltapdancer3

Pronouns
he, they
Chapter 2

I felt myself falling.

Falling through what? I don't know.

There were green lines geometric lines all around me.

They glowed with a soft green light.

I could only see Darkness beyond that

Where am I?

I felt myself dissolving into a pool of light.

What's happening to me?

Welcome.

This is the portal that leads to the world of Digimon.

What the!?

"Who's that?"

Somehow I was able to shout even though I had no mouth. In fact, I had no arms either. I couldn't feel my body at all! I started to panic, desperately searching for any sort of sensory input that wasn't sight or sound. But I felt nothing. I couldn't move, I couldn't feel. I could just listen and watch.

But Before I can let you through

I have several questions to ask of you.

"Like Hell you do, send me back. I don't care who you are. The hell did you do to me?"

I want you to answer them sincerely.

"Hey! Are you listening!? Send me back"

Are you Ready?

"No I'm not ready!? What happened to my body? Who are you?"

Then some bright white text appeared right in front of me

Can you sincerely thank someone when you feel grateful?

a) yes

b) no​

"What? What type of question is that. Send me back! Are you paying attention to me? Answer me!"

I waited.

Just silence, the green glow, and that shining white text that followed me down this pit of darkness.

I waited some more. Nothing.

You know what, maybe I just wasn't saying the right things. This sounded like a computer program. Maybe if I could crash it, it would reboot and spit me back?

"This sentence is False" I shouted into the void

Nothing.

"No response huh I'll -".

You have chosen b) no. next question.

"No I didn't what are you talking about, I can be perfectly gra-"

You win the lottery. How do you spend the money?

a) spend it now

b) save some of it

c) give some to charity​

"Dammit"

The new text floated in front of me. Replacing the previous question. Whatever the voice was definitely responded to me in some way. It just seemed to ignore my questions. Maybe threats would work where questioning had not?

"You know my dad is a genius computer wiz. He'll figure you out. So you better send me back right now, else my dad will make sure you'll spend-"

You have chosen a) Spend it now. Next question.

Do you dream of lounging around idly without much excitement?

a) yes

b) no​

You know what? This was too stupid. I must be dreaming. Maybe I just needed to wait this out. Maybe I'm back in bed and that glowing computer was just another part of the dream.

So I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

I waited for what felt like a better part of an hour. The green geometric lines slowly shifted shade to red, then yellow, then blue, then back to green again. If I listened closely I could hear some simplistic music in the background. It was actually quite soothing. This dream started weird, but I was kind of getting in the mood of things. Maybe I could negotiate with the voice to end the dream?"

"You kn-"

You have chosen b) no. Tabulating results.

Huh. Results. What Results? Was this a quiz? In a dream? Man this was bizarre.

Tabulations complete. You appear to be the Arrogant type.

"Arrogant type! What the hell are you on abo-"

You think of yourself first and others second.

"THINK OF MYSELF FIRST!? YOU KIDNAPPED ME-"

You would rather live a life of action than lounging around, claiming what is rightfully yours.

"WHO THE * #! ARE YOU TO JUDGE-"

Despite your attitude, you can be a loyal friend, and a powerful leader.

"NONONONO, YOU CAN'T JUST INSULT ME, YOU'RE MY DREAM VOI-"

A person who is so conceited, vain, and proud is clearly...

"NOW YOU'RE JUST BEING A-"

A Dracomon :)

"THE &^%# IS A DRACOMON!?"

Is this correct?

"WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN? I'M A HUMAN! WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M A DRACOMON?"

selection confirmed. You are a Dracomon. Now lets get you to the world of Digimon.

"THE ^*%$ IS A DIGIMON?"

But before you go what is your name?

"I WILL MURDER YOU-"

Alright Murder. A daring tale of Adventure awaits!

"I WILL SKIN YOU, I WILL-"

Then a portal opened up beneath me and I found myself falling from the sky.

spinaltapdancer3

Pronouns
he, they
Chapter 3
For the second time in about an hour I found myself falling through a mysterious portal.

This time I found myself in the sky, falling to a world unlike any other. The sky around me was a vivid blue punctuated with crisscrossing grey geometric lines. The landscape below appeared to be incredibly varied. As I fell I could make out rivers, plateaus, mountains, deserts, and massive forests. All relatively close to each other, not really following any geographic logic at all.

I imagine from the ground it was a sight to behold. Majestic mountains, clear skies, and in the distance the faint noise of me screaming:

A

A

A

A

A

A

A

A

H

H

H

H

H

H

H

E

L

L

L

L

L

P

M

E

E

E

E

E

E

E

E

!

!

!​

But there was no help. I fell to the earth(?) at terminal velocity, smashed into a tree branch, crashed into the ground and blacked out.

"He...r..y.u...K?"

Huh, what was that? Everything was sore. My head hurt. I felt like I was eating dirt. I felt really weird too. Like my nose had grown really big and I had grown a third leg?

"He...u...w.k.?"

My attention slowly turned back to that sound. Was someone talking to me? My mind was drenched in a thick fog. I had trouble focusing and the sounds were murbled. Regardless I made an effort to focus. The words became a little clearer.

"Yo... al..ight?"

I stirred a little. My memories slowly coming back to me.

"Yo... Dracomon... lo..-"

Dracomon? The word triggered a flood of memories. The portal in my house. The darkness. The questions. The voice. Wait... the voice also called me a Dracomon. The voice that kidnapped me, insulted me, and threw me into the sky. The rage I felt then came back. Adrenaline shot through my body. This other voice called me a Dracomon (was that some sort of insult?), it must be in cahoots with the voice I heard back then. In that moment, I didn't know who I was, or where I was, all I knew was that the voice must PAY.

With a burst of speed I didn't know my body could achieve. I launched myself at the voice, claws(!?) swinging, screaming.

"I MURDER YOU!"

I crashed into whoever was talking to me. We tumbled a fair bit, me desperately swinging at the... thing? the world spinning as I rolled along the grass so I couldn't get a good look. Somewhere along the way the entity kicked me in the stomach disentangling me from them. The kick sent me flying a good 3 feet back. I crashed into the ground with an oomph, but I picked myself up almost immediately.

I finally saw my opponent. The bane of my past hour. It was... a giant armadillo? With really frilly ears? What type of animal was this? When could animals speak?

"You murder me? Not if I have anything to say about it!"

The weird armadillo swiped at me. I dodged out of the way. Holy fuck are those claws or knives? What type of animal has knives for claws? I screwed up. This thing could probably kill me. I was going to be turned into a filet mignon.

It swiped again. I barely dodged out of the way again.

"Don't kill me, please." I squeaked out.

"Don't kill you! You were about to murder me! Think I'm going to turn my back on you now so you can slash me in the back? How stupid do you think I am!"

"Please it's just a big misunderstanding, I don't want to murder you!"

"No, I'm pretty certain I MURDER YOU means you want to murder me."

"No that's not what I meant at all. You're misunderstanding me."

It took another swipe at me.

"How do you misunderstand "I MURDER YOU"!?"

"I was just trying to introduce myself!" I said, not really thinking about what I was saying.

That stopped him. He then gave the most "wut" face I have ever seen.

"You were... introducing yourself...?"

"Yeah" Wait did I just say? How do I salvage this? Um uh? Hold on I know!

I pointed to myself.

"Yeah, I Murder."

Then I pointed to him.

"You... . See I was just asking for your name."

"Your name is Murder?"

"Yes. Ummmmmm. My parents hated me very much."

"So they named you Murder."

"Yes. It was an intense hatred."

The Armadillo stood there. And stood there.

"OK I believe you. My name is Armadillomon, nice to meet you."

Wait that worked. Yes!

"Little bizarre though, most Digimon just go by their species name, I would have thought they would have called you Dracomon, given that's what you are."

"Dracomon? But I'm a-"

Then for the first time I actually registered my arm which was still pointing at the Armadillomon. The very not human arm. Which was attached to me. The arm that looked like a dragon arm.

I blinked.

I looked down. A very not human, reptilian body stared back at me.

I turned around.

There was a tail. A tail I could feel. A tail I could move.

I stared back at Armadillomon.

"What the-"

spinaltapdancer3

Pronouns
he, they
Chapter 4
"What the-"

I stared at my arm.

I'm not a human.

I'm not a human.

I'm not a human.

...What happened to me?

Armadillomon came over and sat next to me.

"Hey... you OK?"

"I'm not a human..."

"Yeah, I know, you're Murder the Dracomon."

"But... I'm not Murder the Dracomon."

I could feel the puzzled look Armadillomon was giving me.

"I don't understand...?"

"See, I'm not a Dracomon..."

I could sense Armadillomon shifting about, looking me over.

"I mean you look like a Dracomon to me, you some kind of shapeshifter?"

"No, I'm a human."

"hoomon? Can't say I ever heard of it."

"Well I'm a human, and we don't look like this."

I could sense the puzzlement in Armadillomon grow.

"Look, I was a human. Then I touched my dad's glowing computer and I got transported to this weird place. This voice asked me some questions, and then I got spit out here, transformed into this body."

"Oh... so you're not from here then."

"Yeah."

"Armadillomon, what am I going to do? How am I going to get back home?"

"I don't know Murder. I'm still trying to wrap my head around what you just told me. You say you got transported here and your body got transformed. Got any more details."

"I dunno. There were these weird geometric lines around me that sort of switched colors while I was being asked questions. Does that help?"

"Hmmmm. This doesn't ring any bells. Granted the Digimon World been all out of whack as of late, so it really could be anything too... I know! The guildmaster might know something about this. They've been around for a really long time! They could probably help you!"

"Guildmaster?"

"Yeah the Guildmaster! He leads the DigiRescuers guild! I'm a part of the guild so I know him! Come on!"

Armadillomon quickly started waddling away.

Having nothing better to do, I waddled after him. It was a little weird, my legs felt too short and having a tail was really distracting.

God, I hope this doesn't make me a furry.

"So... DigiRescuers huh?"

"Yeah! I just joined so I'm only a novice, but I'm part of the DigiRescuers! The world has been getting really hostile as of late, savage Digimon, weird mysterious dungeons that you can get lost in, all sorts of nasty stuff. So the guildmaster decided to get a group of Digimon together to help. We do deliveries, rescues, bounty-hunting, all sorts of things. I've even heard some of our more veteran DigiRescuers are looking into what's happening with the world."

"Huh... any progress?"

Armadillomon gave a sad sigh.

"I dunno... the higher ups rarely tells us newcomers anything. If they have or haven't, they haven't bothered to share it with us."

"Oh."

We walked along in silence. Armadillomon seemingly a little more depressed than usual.

The world was nice enough at least. The trees were a vibrant green, the sky a beautiful blue, the clouds pearly white. It was almost idyllic in a sense. Almost because there was this weird noise coming from the forest in front of us. It sounded like... crying?

wait crying?

Armadillomon seemed to pick up on it too. He immediately perked up.

"Someone's in trouble! We have to help."

Armadillomon rushed after the noise. Me not having anything better to do, went after him.

I burst into a clearing and saw Armadillomon talking to... A yellow football with knives sticking out of it?

Yep, that was definitely a yellow football with two knives sticking out of it.

I was looking at a talking Armadillo talking to a football with two knives sticking out of it.

This was my day now.

"Sakuttomon what happened!?"

"My baby.. sniffle... my baby's in trouble! My baby, oh what am I going to do. My baby!"

"Calm down, deep breathes... good, now tell me what happened."

"sniffle, it was just a normal day, when all of a sudden an earthquake happened and my precious Sakumon fell down into a crevice. I've raised Sakumon ever since I found their digi-egg, what am I going to do?"

"Never fear, I'm a member of the DigiRescuers! We'll get Sakumon, isn't that right Murder."

"Murder!?"

"Oh yeah meet my partner over there, his name is Murder. He'll help save Sakumon. Isn't that right?"

"Huh, me? Oh yeah, uhhh sure. We'll help you save your uhhhh... child, Mr Knifey football?"

"Your name is Murder?"

"Uhhh... yeah."

"Your parents must have hated you."

"Intensely. You have no idea." Goddamit mystery voice, I hate you so much right now.

"Well thank you for helping me, Yggdrasil knows we need more Digimon like you in the world."

"We wont let you down! C'mon Murder, let's go!" Armadillomon chirped.

With that we set off to find Mr Knifey Football's child.

spinaltapdancer3

Pronouns
he, they
Chapter 5
"So uh, do you know where to find Sakumon?"

"In the mystery dungeon obviously?"

"Yeah, but where in the mystery dungeon."

"At the end? Everyone knows that!"

"Wait how do you know Sakumon is at the end of the Dungeon."

"Cause' Sakuttomon didn't specify which floor Sakumon is on. Duh. Ergo, Sakumon is at the end of the dungeon."

"Wait, what. How does Sakuttomon not telling us which floor guarantee that Sakumon is at the end."

"Cause if Sakumon was on one of the floors, then Sakuttomon would've given us a rescue request that told us which floor they were on."

"Rescue request... ?"

"Yeah! That's how we know someone is lost! Whenever a Digimon gets lost one of the Digimon at the guild posts their request on the community board."

"A Digimon posts a request on the community board...?"

"Yeah, that's what I said."

"Where does the request come from?"

"From the Digimon who got lost obviously, haven't you been paying attention?"

"Yeah, but they're lost? How did they get the request to the board in the first place?"

"What a stupid question. They don't, one of the guild Digimon posts the request obviously."

"Wait how did the guild Digimon get the request?"

"They didn't, they had to write it out obviously."

"So wait the guild Digimon writes out the request?"

"Well yeah obviously, what did you think would happen? The lost Digimon would get unlost post a request and then get re-lost?"

"No. I'm just lost on how the guild Digimon would even know that the Digimon was lost in the first place, and then know where the Digimon was lost."

"They just know."

"What do you mean "they just know"."

"I dunno its like breathing. you just know."

"they just... know."

"Yeah. Who's lost, where their lost, and what the reward is."

"So you just wake up one day and know that a Digimon is lost somewhere, where they are, and how much their willing to pay to get un-lost?"

"Yep. Makes sense if you think about it."

"Well I don't know."

"Yes you do."

"What do you mean "yes you do", I don't know anymon who is los-"

Agumon

Help me! I was looking for fried eggs and got lost.

Windy Canyon B7F

Reward: 300 bits and some fried eggs

What the #&! ? When did that thought come into my head?

"Who the &8%* is Agumon and why is he looking for fried eggs in a windy canyon."

"OH so that's where Agumon is. See I told you you just know."

"Wait Augmon is an actual mon and he's missing? That wasn't just my brain being delirious?"

"Oh yeah he's been gone for a few months now, you should remember the deets, write it down later. Maybe we can go save after we save Sakumon!"

"He's been missing for a few month- you know what nevermind."

"See not that hard. Makes perfect sense really."

Some time later

"Ok we're here."

"We're where?"

"The mystery dungeon."

I looked around, nothing but trees, we were in the middle of the forest, not a single medieval castle or fortress in sight.

"I don't see anything but trees? Where's the dungeon?"

"Right in front of us."

I looked right in front of us. There was nothing in front of us but more of the path that we were walking down. The forest was a little darker ahead, the shadows a little longer, but I still didn't see a castle, or really any building at all.

"I still don't see it. Is it underground?"

"Part of it, if its part of a crevice I imagine it's a descending dungeon, not an ascending dungeon."

"Oh, so there's like a secret hatch somewhere here that leads downward?"

"Secret hatch? No silly, the stairs lead downwards."

"The stairs?"

"Yeah the stairs, the ones that always lead to the next floor."

"Where are the stairs?"

"I dunno we have to find them."

"Oh ok, so we have to find the stairs to get into the dungeon."

"Yeah! now you got it. C'mon!"

Who goes around excavating random underground dungeons in the middle of a forest? Man these Digimon are weird.

Armadillomon rushed forward. I followed them.

"OK we're in the dungeon, we need to be careful now."

"Wait what? We haven't found the stairs yet!"

"Well yeah, we're only at the start of the dungeon. We need to find the stairs to get to the next floor."

"What? I thought the stairs led to the dungeon."

"To the rest of it yeah, but the start of the dungeon we can just walk into. We started the dungeon a while back."

"Huh? We're in the middle of the forest, not a dungeon what are you talking about?"

"Yes we are in a forest dungeon, what's your point?"

"Ok maybe we're not understanding the word "dungeon" the same, when I say dungeon, I mean a prison you can't get out of."

"Yeah that's what I mean too."

"But we aren't trapped anywhere, we're just in the middle of the forest. See I can just walk back the wa-"

I stopped. There was no longer the forest road we were meandering down, instead behind me was a solid wall of trees.

"Armadillomon?"

"Yes?"

"We were walking down a road."

"Yes?"

"There are trees behind us."

"...Yes?"

"Why are there trees behind us?"

"That's just the dungeon wall."

What the ^%$.

Last edited:

spinaltapdancer3

Pronouns
he, they
Chapter 6

I blinked.

Armadillomon blinked.

A spiky ball with a leaf for a tail on the other side of the room blinked.

The giant armored death dinosaur armed with a revolver cannon did not blink, for it was asleep in the corner of the room.

We blinked again.

"Psst Armadillomon."

"Yeah."

"What's going on?"

"We're in a mystery dungeon."

"I know that! What's going on right now."

"uh... we're in a room, looking for some stairs."

"No, I mean what's with spiky over there. They've just been staring at us for the past few minutes. They haven't moved at all."

"Well yeah, thats because we haven't moved."

"What?"

"Yeah don't you know, the ferals can only move when we move. Or maybe we can only when they move. We haven't quite figured it out."

"What? It can't move until we move?"

"Or we can't move until it moves. It's one of the dungeon's greatest mysteries. Whether our movement allows them to move, or their movement allows us to move. It's a real "Who came first, King Drasil or the Digi-egg" type problem.

"But I can move whenever I want?"

"Can you? Or does their movement allow you to move, and they move right before you want to move providing the illusion that of free will, but in reality your actions are merely allowed by the movements of a feral."

"Wha-, you know what nevermind. I'll just walk over there myself.

I took a step.

At the exact same time I took a step it bounced forward.

I blinked.

I stepped forward again.

It bounced towards me at the exact same time.

I turned to Armadillomon who had apparently followed behind me.

"It's moving toward us. Why is it moving toward us?"

"Oh that's easy, it wants to kill us."

"What? That thing wants to kill us? Why?"

"I dunno, ferals are murderous monsters, always been that way."

I stared back. The spike ball was just bouncing in place. "That thing?"

"Yeah. That Budmon will try to eviscerate you once you it gets close. I would avoid the spikes, also it might try to spit at you."

"Wait hold up that thing is going to try to spit at me!?"

"Yeah, watch out, I heard that Budmon spit is hella corrosive."

I stared back at the spike ball. Then turned back to Armadillomon.

"Armadillomon."

"Yeah?"

"I don't want to be spit at, can you deal with it?"

"Eh. Sure. Should be pretty easy, after all its only an in-training feral."

In-training feral? This thing trained to be a feral? Is this a furry thing? Can Digimon even be furries?

We switched spots. The "Budmon" bounced forward some then stopped. It was getting pretty close.

"Oh, murder, you probably never been in a fight have you?"

"No?"

"Great! Then this will be a good learning experience for you then. Ok, it's really easy, there's only two steps. First you call out your attack really loudly, and then you flail about."

"Wut... you "call out your attack" and then... "flail about". Did I hear that right?"

"Yep! You got it first time too. You're much smarter than some of my friends, some of them kept on getting the order mixed up. They were flailing about and then calling out their attacks. Could you imagine making such a rookie mistake?"

"Uhhhh... I guess... not?"

"Good. Anyways time to show instead of tell."

Sure enough the Budmon had patiently waited just out of reach, just sort of happily bouncing there while our exchange had gone down.

Armadillomon stepped forward.

I unwittingly did too.

The Budmon bounced forward.

Armadillomon and the Budmon where face to face.

They weren't doing anything. Just sort of stared at each other.

"Sooo... you gonna do someth-"

"DOKUTOGETOGE!" the Budmon launched itself at Armadillomon.

"BEAT BLASTER!" Armadillomon slashed at Budmon.

Claw and Thorn met in mid-air. Sparks flew. They seemed to pause in that position.

Then I heard a crack.

Then I saw as Budmon's thorn break, it fall to the floor, and then *poof* out of existence.

I blinked.

"Armadillomon?"

"Yes?"

"Where did it go?"

"Where did what go?"

"The Budmon."

"Oh, its gone."

"Yes I see that Armadillomon. I can see that its gone. I'm not asking whether its still here. I'm asking where did it go."

"Oh I dunno. Ferals just sort of dissapear when they get beaten."

"They just... "dissapear"."

"Yeah. One of those dungeon mysteries."

"OK."

I was getting the feeling that I would not be getting much straight answers about any of my questions.

I looked over at the armored dino still sleeping in the corner of the room.

"Armadillomon."

"Yeah?"

"Why has that thing not wo-... you know what? Nevermind."

I wasn't going to get a straight answer anyway. So I just started walking towards the exit. Maybe ignorance was bliss. So I tabled my questions about why there was gun wielding t-rex in the room with us or why dungeon mons dissapeared or who was this "King Basil" or whatever.

Maybe there were things man was not meant to know.

Navar

Professional Mudkip Lover
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. swampert
  2. chesnaught-apron
  3. lucario-mega
Okay, Spinal. Like I said, time to give your story a proper review. This is coming from someone that has knowledge of Digimon(or at least I like to think so, lol), so this might have a few more criticisms than I usually do. Or maybe not, because I’m still a lousy critique. Regardless, I’m gonna do it now.

Chapter 1

Starting things off pretty simple. This chapter is only for character building, in this case, the protagonist. It’s fine to take your time to present his personality, someone that’s a loner, but still wants to have some friends, and his mother is nowhere to be seen(maybe she’s dead?). He seems to be pretty calm, at least.

Now the part of this chapter that’s related to the actual plot. The computer is glowing. First things first, you typed “Cerulean” capitalized, I’m not sure if this is a grammar error, but I felt like you should know. Second, this is pretty common in Digimon, actually, mostly in the second series, Adventure 02, so you have the right idea here. Someone screaming help is also common. I know you have almost no knowledge, but it seems you got the tropes right, congratulations. I have no idea if you researched this part before writing, but nonetheless, it makes sense.

And the protagonist shows his personality during this last part, wanting to help. Also, I noticed another error during this segment. You typed “You’re computer”, so unless the protag’s dad is some AI thing, you should fix that.

Overall, this is a good first chapter if you know your Digimon stuff. Even if that’s not the case, you set up a good mystery with the computer voice, so anyone not familiar with Digimon can enjoy that as well, in other words, the first chapter did its purpose well.

This should be enough comments on the first chapter, I’m moving on to the next one now.

Chapter 2

We interrupt this Digimon fic to bring you the quiz from PMD! Jokes aside, you hit the nail during this quiz section, although I did catch a few errors here and there, I can't exactly remember most of them now, but it's things like words that shouldn't be capitalized and stuff like that.

The voice seems pretty mechanical, and I suppose that makes sense, being a digital being. The reactions to the quiz are also good, you wouldn’t just answer a random voice that kidnapped you. This scene was also pretty funny to me, since the answers didn’t actually come from the protagonist, instead the voice just took a few words from him and said they were the answer. It made me chuckle and I loved how it was handled. Of course, that also includes the best part of this entire chapter: his name is Murder. I cannot stress this enough, this was a genius choice and anyone that tells you otherwise is just wrong. Sadly Digimon don’t have names, so we can’t even have more jokes like this.

This is a plot that’s also pretty common, sending kids(or maybe teenagers?) to the Digital World because apparently nobody there can fix stuff properly. You’re doing pretty good for someone that knows so little, it’s stunning, really. Also, I’m pretty sure you don’t know this, but let me tell you something that’s actually pretty genius: the voice described Murder as the “arrogant type”, and Dracomon can evolve into Examon, one of the Royal Knights. Said Royal Knights are one of the most arrogant beings on the franchise, so I guess that voice was spot on, lol. I know you’re not planning on making him evolve, but I wanted to let you know about this small trivia.

Chapter 3

Alright, our first trip into the Digital World. Nice job describing things, they can be a bit random sometimes, but usually the world is divided into “folders”, I suggest you take a look at the wiki so you can have a better idea about that. The world itself can vary between all series and even games, but the wiki should contain some general information that’s common, I think there’s a few locations that don’t change. Of course, you can just make your own, nothing wrong with that, really.

Armadillomon is a good boy, but uh, yeah, Murder was on the wrong here. Even if he was mad, you can’t just go around murdering people whenever you feel like it. Regardless, holy shit, his plan actually worked. I’m surprised, but chuckling for a bit. Although… There is something I should probably mention, it’s gonna take a whole paragraph, but alright.

Digimon don’t actually have parents, at least in most of the media. They don’t understand the concept of families and children, they go through an endless cycle of death and rebirth. When they’re deleted, they turn back into an egg and are sent to the Village of Beginnings, where they hatch and are off to the world. Of course, there’s exceptions. During one of the latest seasons, one of the main characters has a goal of finding his parents, and there’s even fics where they do. Usually it’s described as the parents’ data joining together and creating the child. I’m not saying you’re in the wrong here, but researching those things can help with your story.

Enough for this one, I’ll be moving on to the next chapter.

Chapter 4

Hm, the reaction to having his body changed makes sense, at least for me. And then we have a lot of exposition, that’s fine. So this world is very much PMD but Digimon? You have guilds and all that. Alright, I can take that, it’s a pretty good idea, does that mean the higher organizations are guilds as well? Hm, I’m curious, you have my attention.

And of course everybody still believes Murder is his actual name. Now that I think of it, you never said his human name, so I guess Murder shall be his name forever, I love this idea so much. It shouldn’t work, but it does.

Alright, so they have a mission to rescue Sakuttomon’s kid,to be honest, when I went on to search for what Digimon Sakuttomon is, I got a little weirded out by this scene. See, Sakuttomon is an In-Training Digimon, it’s not even a Rookie, think of it as a small baby, not a newborn, but not a child yet. It means that it’s basically a baby who lost a smaller baby. I get that you’re using the “Digimon can have babies” headcanon, and that’s fine, but in this case, I think you should have at least a Champion-level one to be a parent. Basically, the levels are like our ages, the higher the level, (usually) the oldest the Digimon is.

This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, I’m only saying this because I took the time to search what that Digimon was, a casual viewer won’t even notice this, but keep this in mind for future chapters.

Chapter 5

More worldbuilding in this one, I suppose. I couldn’t help but feel like they just popped in at the dungeon’s door, but ok. To be honest, I’m curious about how you’re gonna explain how the dungeons formed. Since it’s Digimon, there’s a lot of good ideas for how you can do that, I’m sure you’ll be able to handle that pretty well, so I’m not gonna question, I’m just here for the ride.

Okay, the Agumon mission got a chuckle out of me, but I should mention that you spelled it as “Augmon” during a few of the sentences. If that’s just Murder being stupid, it’s fine, otherwise, it’s an error and you should probably fix that.

Anyway, the interactions between Armadillomon and Murder are funny, I love how he’s just super confused about what the fuck is happening in this strange world. He’s gonna have a breakdown sooner or later and honestly, I’m all here for it. This will be fun to read, I think. I also liked the detail of the dungeon wall being a forest, it’s so random that I’m snorting after reading that part. I can tell you’re having fun with this fic.

There’s not much to comment on this chapter here, it’s mostly dialogue and character building, so I’ll just move on to the next and final chapter of this fic(for now).

Chapter 6

And I arrived at the last chapter, which also happens to be the one where they go to a dungeon for the first time. I’m curious as to your headcanon of how the dungeons work, but I’m invested in it at the same time. INstead of becoming a digi-egg, the ferals just… die. That’s brutal. Also, they call out the attacks, like Digimon usually does. Honestly, I think you’re free to remove that trope if you like, but unlike Pokémon attacks, everyone has their own, so it might be for the best that you’re using that trope.

Hm, I’m curious, they’re doing the Agumon mission or the Sakumon mission? I think it’s the latter, but just for reference, maybe have a comment on that?

Having the illusion of free will creeped me out for a few moments, so uh, good work with that part.

Okay, so one thing I think you should do is add a bit of an “encyclopedia” at the end of the chapter, showing what Digimons you used during it. This can help someone that doesn’t know every single one of them, and it’s a nice bit of trivia that could add to the experience. Your choice, really.

Well, I’m ending this review here. Overall, I think you’re doing great, considering you’re a newbie at Digimon lore. Keep it up and your fic should be better, I recommend you read other Digimon fics to get more information, or just check out the wiki. If you do check the wiki, I recommend you check out “wikimon”, it’s the bigger one and has way more info. With that in mind, I’ll be off for now, loved to read this fic, the bite-sized chapters help with the experience and I can absorb the information better this way.

Top Bottom