• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Destiny Village ~ X-Eye Cauldron

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJR Basimilus

Arceus is nice I suppose...
Partners
  1. arceus-fighting
  2. lurantis
  3. arceus-poison
  4. haxorus
"Now that's fair," Seyka said.

"Well, I have to be off," the Skarmory said lightly before his expression changed. "That was a lie. I'm just done drinking. I want to go look at that guy Joule again. It's like a painting, you know?"

"See you, Ivy. Stay away from evil drinks. If you need me to drink them, just come find me!"

<><><><><><><><><><><><>​

[R9] Drowning Shadows (Brisa and Icetales)

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
The X-Eye Cauldron was buzzing with activity at that time of the day. Pleasant scents swirled around the place, with various regular clients chatting among themselves and enjoying some good drinks.

However, there was one silver fox who was sitting by himself, downing the umpteenth cup of black tea. He felt like he needed to drown his demons. His fiery, persistent demons.

‘Stronger… I need to be stronger…’

Do not fool thyself! Thou shall never be stronger!

‘I must! For my friends!’

Must… As if thou could! But thy blood is marred and impure. Thou art a freak that isn’t meant to exist.

‘Why won’t thou… just hush?’

I am tired of being ignored, thou foolish lad! Respect the elders and the voice of knowledge! Thou art worthless and this cannot be changed!

‘I’m not useless! I’m—’

Worthless.

‘No—’

Weak.

‘Stop—’

Irrelevant.

“I said stop!

Icetales breathed harshly and took a look around. The other Pokémon were staring at him, wary and cautious.

“A-apologies, everyone,” he muttered, showing an apologetic stare. “All is swell. Resume what you were doing.”

After not too long, everyone restarted chatting and drinking. Icetales sighed and looked at his empty cup.

“…Why am I here?”

He poured himself some more tea. He felt so thirsty.

“I reckon my siblings would have been a better choice. Faster, stronger, smarter… so why me?”

Last edited:

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa went to the cauldron for some respite from the day's tasks, as she often did. This time she was intending only to stop for one drink. Then back to the dorms for an early night. The tournament had taken it out of her, and she needed to catch up on rest. She wasn't expecting to see Icetales, although his morose appearance tracked. The fella was a little highly strung after all, and he'd forfeited his match... Something like that stung a mon's pride. She went to him, tail flicking anxiously.

"How . . . do you do, Icetales? Fella, y'ain't lookin' so good. What's eatin' ya?"

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Heavens! Icetales stiffened and his claws dug into the wood. They might not have interacted much in those past months, but he recognized that voice clearly.

“…Greetings, Brisa,” he muttered without enthusiasm, staring ruefully at his cup. He pawed at it and tried to focus on something else. “Thou finished the match, hm? Fine job out there. Fine job, indeed…”

So much for focusing on something else. Just thinking about his match, and then her two matches… the difference was abysmal. His performance had been abysmal, and there was the presence in the back of his mind that was all too eager to remind him that.

He sighed and glanced fleetingly at her. “Oh. Do not concern thyself with my matters. I, huh, just have plenty going through my mind: Joule, Cynthian, the latest duel, and…” his voice almost cracked, “myself.”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
It had been a fine job, and Brisa was practically flying from the post-battle high, but Icetales was transparently groundbound. Something was the matter, and not just the generic malaise of too many things on the mind.

"Well, thank ye kindly, partner," she said, politely. He liked politeness, right?

Icetales hadn't been on her list of folks to tend to. She'd thought he'd be lifting the spirits of other mon, not in need of the same service. Still, maybe she could help him, and if she could, then she had to.

"Icetales, why don't ya tell me more about those thoguhts of yers. I'll hear ya out, fella. Shoot."

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
…Should he really tell her anything, or try to deflect the question? For one thing, he wasn’t the kind of mon to pile his issues on another folk, and he knew plenty that Brisa was always there for others and piling on herself responsibilities after responsibilities.

Well… in that sense, they were fairly alike, and he knew already that such role was… draining. Bothering her with his personal demons was the last thing he wished. Besides…

Fuh huh huh! Thou really art pathetic, hm? Now thou even need one of strongest the pillars of the cortège to lift thee again? How utterly hopeless as a case can thou be?

The Ninetales had to suppress a growl. He loathed immensely when the other voice was right. It stung so much more, and he felt the claws of darkness latching into his already torn heart.

“Hm…”

He licked some tea, trying to push the presence in the back of his thoughts and to clear his mind. Hmm… If he was going to do that, then he felt the need to repay her in some way. He has to wonder in which way…

“I am… troubled about myself. About what I am capable to do. I… could not help my comrade back in that battlefield, and now I wonder if I am of any help for our cortège…”

Icetales shook his head and rubbed his forepaw with the other. His tails were twitching erratically, cloaking the floor in hoarfrost.

“Back in my world, I was merely a butler, not a battler. And now I am beginning to wonder if I am merely a bit less than a detriment…”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa took a seat at Icetales' table as the fox began to speak, and listened earnestly. Her ears flattened and her tail drooped as she did. More of this self-deprecation, huh? It seemed half the posse were down on themselves at all times. She'd have to fight that. Icetales more than pulled his weight in their fights . . . if only she could get him to see that.

"I don't mean t'condescend, pal, but you're plenty help. The amount you do to keep the posse fightin' even under heavy fire is fuckin' astonishin'. Never doubt it."

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Icetales chuckled humorlessly. He probably would have found amusing to hear his own encouragements shot back at him, but his mind was way too busy fending off his malicious thoughts to even register that.

“Oh, indeed! Mine abilities have been truly helpful when my partner has been bombarded by frigid slices and scorched by flaring tongues. No doubt about that.”

Icetales dug his muzzle into his cup, gurgling some tea to chill his spirit. He hated feeling like that, like the herald that couldn’t hold anyone.

And then, he remembered his duels from his homeworld. How Keo’Keo III was so superior at battling and scheming, always managing to find the weak spots in the opposition. No wonder he was considered an option as the captain of the Royal Army. III surely would have done so much more, and yet Cibus was cursed with X’s presence.

Fate truly worked in twisted ways.

Icetales sighed, feeling ashamed of himself. “Um… Apologies for behaving like this. I… My noggin is failing at recombobulating in this moment…”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Ah. Sarcasm. Perhaps she'd chosen the wrong tack. This was about not putting up a fight for Starr and Nip, as if winning a doubles duel against two of their best strikers was what counted for worth. She thumped the table and stared him hard in the eye.

"Listen t'me, Ninetales Kyukon," she growled. "There're different kinds of strength. Yers ain't in puttin' hurt on folks or winnin' tourneys. Yers is in bein' there fer others, in liftin' spirits and boostin' strengths, in lendin' a helping paw. You're at yer absolute best at the side of the whole team, ain't that so? I ain't wrong. We can't do without ya. So get a grip, partner. I'm dependin' on ya in the fights to come. Prove me right."

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Icetales stared at Brisa, unblinking and conflicted. He very much doubted that a show of fancy lights would have saved them from Joule’s incoming strike.

He glanced at his cup; empty. And his teapot? Empty, too.

He groaned and dropped his tails to the floor, chilling the wood instantly.

“H-how can I prove thee right?” he grumbled. “What have I ever done?”

Then, he felt a presence of darkness, but it wasn’t one that wanted to stab into his heart. No. That was friendlier, younger and… warmer.

Daddy, please! S-stop with these thoughts, please! T-they… they aren’t what you are!

Oh, but they are. This foolish lad is a waste of time and space.

No! No, he isn’t! I refuse to accept this lie!

Icetales stared blankly, groaning as his mind was invaded by those rivaling presences.

Hey! Hey! Listen up! Daddy, remember what happened at that lab, yeah? When you were talking to Cynthian?

Icetales stared at Brisa, who was still waiting for an answer, probably even growing somewhat impatient.

“Um, well…”

Never mind! I’ll help you!

Icetales wondered what Petram meant, when felt like something slammed into his brain. Faint memories flickered in his head-space.

He glanced at his tails, and his eyes widened when he saw Cynthian trembling in fear. Panic.

“Sir Cynthian…?”

Ha gazed around the battlefield. Attacks going left and right, Team Drumstick looking disoriented and Karat down. And that machine. That horrible, horrible machine!

…But no. He couldn’t afford to falter. Not now. Not when his comrades needed him most.

Throwing caution out of the window, he channeled the Radiance into his body. He gritted his fangs as a dull sensation spread through his body and his thoughts blurred further, but he had to do it. For his team.

Sir Cynthian…” He took a deep breath and stared at the Roselia, his eyes glowing golden. “Do not surrender now, my good comrade. The situation might look dire, but… we shall prevail. Never lose sight of that hope.” And so, he poured a bolstering Radiant energy into his comrade. “Thou can do it. I believe in thee.”
A wave of relief hit Cynthian when the graceful form of the Ninetales materialized in front of him, and he trudged forward and embraced Icetales from the side. Though it was more he fell against him as Cynthian barely had the strength to keep standing.

"Icetales, Icetales, are you okay?!" Cynthian asked, his eyes glistening with worry.
"It's okay, I'm here. I'll always help you, like you've always helped me," Cynthian said, a tear streaming down his cheek. He gave Icetales a gentle and comforting smile, hoping from deep within his heart that it'd reach him.

Cynthian glanced back at Giovanni. That dastardly man. He had hurt Icetales. HE did this. A blazing hatred erupted from Cynthian's heart as he glared at the Mewtwo.

"I won't let him take you again!" Cynthian cried out. He aimed his flower at Giovanni and shot a destructive beam of light right at him.
Pride and relief filled the Ninetales's heart, who started wagging his tails and giving a silent encouragement.

"Much appreciated, dear fellow," he said, slowly trying to stand back up. "Let us... oof!"

Icetales sat back down, feeling somewhat drained. Whatever attack had struck him earlier left him in a sorry state. So, he downed a Sitrus Berry and Max Elixir as quickly as possible, feeling the energy flowing back to him and his wounds closing. With renewed vigor, he managed to stand up and shook his tails, scattering a shower of snowflakes and sparkles. He glared back at Giovanni, his composure dignified and steady — the unwavering spirit of a noble heart.

"Then... allow me to assist thee in any way I can," he said, nodding to himself. "Let us strike him down!"

With a pure howl, his tails started flaring up with a rainbow energy, and a veil of aurora wrapped itself around Cynthian, offering a small protective barrier. The Aurora Veil cloaked the entire battlefield, making their comrades glow with the power of the winter lights.

That human was just going to receive his just desserts.

And this is just the latest instance. Don’t you remember those words of gratitude you have heard from others during the last battles? They… Gosh, Father, they appreciate you! I… I love you, too. So, please, just… don’t do that, please. Don’t be blind about your own merits. This voice… it knows nothing!

Hmph. I’ve been in his mind-space for an eternity, I know him more than he even knows himself. …But I am going to humor you both and retire for now. There is much that the foolish lad needs to unpack, fuh huh huh!

What a… jerk! At least his presence is gone! But yeah, c’mon! Reassure Brisa!

It was only then that Icetales realized he must have been gone inside his mind for far too long, if the puzzled expression on his comrade’s face was any proof.

As such, he took a deep breath and unleashed a thin mist. Yes, fresh. He felt fresher.

“…I shall try. I do not know yet to what extent I can be of help during our incoming battles, but… but I will try my darndest. I shall always be there to share my light, so that… others can shine brighter, I reckon.”

And then, a thin smile made its way on his muzzle.

“I shall not let thee or anyone down. I… promise.”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Icetales stared into space, he muzzle twitching. Had Brisa . . . struck a nerve? She let him figure out whatever it was that was spinning in his head, and, at last, he replied. Phew. A positive response. But Brisa knew better than to leave it there. She nodded, and held her gaze evenly.

"I know ya won't," she said, her voice much softer. "But listen, 'cause I need ya to understand this properly..."

She took a breath, and straightened herself up.

"The strength of Team Spectrum is in our ability to work in synergy with other, even in a large group. We beat our foes 'cause we're so much stronger than the sum of our parts, as they say. You'd do well to recognise that you pull yer weight the most in fights like that, contributin' to that sum far more than y'might expect. When you're keepin' the team t'gether. It's a small wonder you didn't have so much luck fightin' yer friends in a scuffle like that tourney. You're meant fer fightin' by their sides."

She smiled at the ninetales and realised that her tail and ears had perked right up. Huh. She . . . really believed what she was telling him. Maybe she should have said it earlier.

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Icetales tilted his head as he pondered about something that Brisa had just said.

"The strength of Team Spectrum is in our ability to work in synergy with other, even in a large group. We beat our foes 'cause we're so much stronger than the sum of our parts, as they say."

“The sum of our parts…” he parroted as he mulled over that sentence. Hm… that reminded him something that his dear Mother used to say. “Firmament… We’re a firmament of hope…”

He closed his eyes for some time, diving into the countless teachings of his homeworld. And then, a memory flashed brighter than the rest. Just for a second, but that was enough.

“‘Every star is important in a firmament, no matter the brightness’… this is a maxim that Mother used to utter, whenever we were distraught about something. I never understood what she meant by that…”

A spark of determination and realization shone in his eyes, brilliant enough that he could have easily illuminated the entire room.

“…But now I do.”

He grinned with delight, his tails wagging and shaking off some snowflakes. Sure, there were still some doubts buried deep in the antechamber of his mind, but it felt good to have a huge weight off of his chest, regardless.

“Thou have my thankfulness, Brisa. For opening mine eyes. If there is anything I can do for thee, just say so.”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
A 'firmament', huh? Not bad.

"Y'know... We nearly called ourselves 'Team Constellation', as I recall."

Brisa had actually liked that one better, but Spectrum was snappier, she could admit.

"Can't say as I wanna ask anythin' of ya, save to keep folks' spirits up ahead of the showdown," she mused. "Though, if you still have a free minute, I'd care to know ya better, fella. Shall we share a drink? An' perhaps I'll take ya up on that fencin' offer someday soon."

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Hm… Icetales could almost hear his stomach protesting at getting another cup of tea. By judging how many cups he consumed, he must have defoliated an entire tea tree field or so. Exaggerated approximation, yes, but he felt like it.

However, there was no harm in getting some lighter berry juice, no?

“Oh, well, I never say no to some good-natured chatter,” chirped Icetales, feeling in brighter spirits. There was nothing better than some good conversation to keep the mind clear. “What shall thou order? I think I shall get myself some… leppa cider, perhaps. Nothing too intense.”

He motioned to the waiter to approach them.

“And, ah, indeed. We could have some fencing one of these days, yes. Perhaps when we will not have a beam of doom suspended above our heads all day long. Less harmful to the nerves.”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"I'll have what this fella's havin'," said Brisa. Leppa cider was a good choice.

She leaned an arm on the table and relaxed a little. She'd worked so damn hard, she could switch off for a minute, with one drink.

"So, you were a noblemon or somethin' like that back home, ain't it so?" she remarked. "Must be a queer time fer you here. Can't imagine all our usual affairs in Cibus are very much yer typical speed, or am I wrong?"

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
“Hmm… Something like that. I was raised among the nobility of the frigid Borealis, alongside my nine older siblings,” responded Icetales candidly. “Though, I now live by myself, as a result of a… huh, chasm, we could say. I’ve been living among goodmons and good ladies since then, and I work as the head butler for an important family.”

He shrugged nonchalantly.

“Perhaps that could be considered degrading, but ‘work makes ‘mon noble’ and brings nourishment under my muzzle, so I cannot complain. This entire heroic business is hardly worse nor more chaotic than what I am used to endure back home. The entire flay-kicking is the only difference, truly.”

The Ninetales tilted his head, showing a curious but polite expression. “And what is thy business back in thy homeworld, if thou not mind me inquiring?”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
There was a lot to unpack there, but as Icetales was asking Brisa to tell of herself, she let it go, merely giving a nod of sympathy.

"I'm a ranger. Keeper of the peace, closest thing to real law enforcement on the frontier. I detain bandits an' the like, help out folks in sticky situations, patrol the border, that sorta thing. It's lonely work, since I ain't had anyone since my ma and pa made 'emselves scarce some years back, but it's too important to give up on. I figure when it's time t'go home, I'll just . . . keep at it."

She sighed. "I dunno, partner. Is that just my life ahead of me? Takin' on every trouble folks have, an' gettin' scarce anythin' back? Savin' Cibus might be terrifyin', but at least folks appreciate my help and I got friends in the team. I have more fun here, in this goddamn time bubble under Joule's shadow, than I ever did back home. That's . . . honestly kinda sad."

Last edited:

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
A ranger, huh? Well, that explained her experience in combat and her sense of duty and peacekeeping, at least. Icetales had no idea how delinquents were in her world, but if they were anything like the criminals of his world, well… she surely had her paws full all the time.

By then the two leppa ciders had arrived, but Icetales’s lone reaction was a simple nod to acknowledge the waiter, keeping all his focus on Brisa.

She sighed. "I dunno, partner. Is that just my life ahead of me? Takin' on every trouble folks have, an' gettin' scarce anythin' back? Savin' Civus might be terrifyin', but at least folks appreciate my help and I got friends in the team. I have more fun here, in this goddamn time bubble under Joule's shadow, than I did back home. That's . . . honestly kinda sad."

Oh. Another comrade who would rather stay in that brave new world than return home. It seemed like everyone was getting used to their new circumstances all too well.

“Mhm. I understand thy plight. I reckon most of our folks feel the same way, with this world acting as an escapade of sorts from their non-stimulating or unrewarding lives.” He shook his head and licked some of the cider. “But alas, thou know as well as I that this business is not meant to last. We are offering a service for this world, and once our aid won’t be needed anymore, well… back to our routines.

“Even so, that does not mean that thou cannot aim for something else once thou art back home, no? Sir Cabot told me that not every memory of ours shall be locked by the dimensional travel. Perhaps, what little we remember, shall be our spark to shake up our lives and aim for a more gratifying goal. Or at least, I hope so.”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa sipped at her cider for a bit before answering. That . . . was a hard thing to reply to earnestly, and yet she wanted to be honest with Icetales. She drummed her claws on the table and sparked up the tiniest bit of radiance and shadow.

"I want the things I've learned t'stay with me somehow," she confessed. "I was lonesome back home like y'wouldn't believe. Even if I don't remember my friends from Cibus and the posse, if I can just remember that I can have friends . . . maybe that'd be enough fer me to turn my miserable fuckin' life around."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom