• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Destiny Village ~ Sundae Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
"I guess it does..." he mused. He studied his paws for a moment, letting the silence linger. "What about you then? Why is your perspective so... colored?"

ExplosiveTurkey

gib bludoge pls
Pronouns
him/his
She smiled, her gaze still somewhere far off. "Because I don't get to have that last hurrah. There's always going to be a world in distress -- that's just how it works in my corner of reality. And because I'm one of the few people who can, it's my responsibility to help them. Pretty stressful position to be in, considering how many lives are at stake all the damn time. I got tired of it at some point."

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
"Oh," he said thoughtfully. "That sounds tough." He frowned and fell silent, considering her words. "Still... Your world is lucky to have you. I think it's really admirable."

For a moment, he found himself reminded of Brisa, just a little. Always working so hard to help their world. Giving everything their all, hurting for everyone else, and taking responsibility for everything.

He spoke his next words carefully. "If someone offered you the chance to go back in time and change everything. Make it so you don't even remember and you come from somewhere completely ordinary... Make you 'normal' or whatever, would you do it?"

ExplosiveTurkey

gib bludoge pls
Pronouns
him/his
And for a moment, Aria found herself reminded of Ben.

"...I do what I do because someone has to, or people suffer. Best case scenario, others would be forced to fill my role. Worst case scenario, worlds die because no one came to help them. So... no, I wouldn't run from my responsibilities, even if it was in a way that let me sleep at night."

Then, with a small grin, she chuckled. The wistfulness in her expression was all but gone, allowing some of her relaxed mirth to return. "Besides, that person wouldn't be me anymore, would it? My memories make me who I am — giving them up would be just like dying. The best I can do is roll with the punches and do my best with the cards life dealt me."

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Koa smiled. "I like that answer." He let out a pleased sigh and stretched. "Someone once told me something similar, that everyone in the world has a responsibility, even if its really small things. And if everyone tries their hardest to do that, than the world can be a little brighter."

It was nice to think that even across all the different worlds, there were people like Aria and Brisa, trying their hardest to make a difference. "Actually, you kinda remind me of her too. She was something called a Champion in my world. One of the strongest trainers in the world."

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
"I only got to meet her once, on my journey. But she helped me out and told me that advice." He grinned again. "She even has a Lucario on her team."

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Koa met her gaze, a gleam entering his eyes. "Eh, you're not quite as cool as her, honestly." A sly grin formed on his jaws. "I doubt you could live up."

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
"Yeah, we sure will," he replied evenly, a note of confidence to his tone.

<><><><>​

R17? Paraprosdokian [Owen & Seyka]

RJR Basimilus

Arceus is nice I suppose...
Partners
  1. arceus-fighting
  2. lurantis
  3. arceus-poison
  4. haxorus
Sprawled out on a bench, Seyka stared at the sky. The Skarmory frowned.

"A blade that has been raised to strike must be allowed to finish its stroke? I read something like that," he said to himself. "That... thing, isn't even here anymore. Even if it comes back, didn't we finish what we came here to do in the first place?"

"Ahhh, but wait!" Seyka made a face. "No one ever set a clear expectation of what to accomplish. They say we'll go away after this, but what if we're kept here in perpetuity because of a technicality? I bet I could ask for a raise..."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
The sky was clear aside from a few stray clouds in the peripheries. It was chilly, but the sun eased that for a relaxing balance. A shadow eclipsed the light, in the shape of a great, winged creature with a belly that shimmered like oil on the ocean.

The creature descended in a wide circle, finally landing near Seyka, but careful not to kick up more dirt or loose grass than necessary--Owen, the behemoth Charizard.

"Seyka," Owen greeted. "Doing alright?" Hopping off of Owen's back was a much smaller Charizard made of vaguely evil ectoplasm.

"Not doing anything weird, are you?" Cal added, golden embers shrinking skeptically.

RJR Basimilus

Partners
  1. arceus-fighting
  2. lurantis
  3. arceus-poison
  4. haxorus
"I'm risk analyzing," Seyka replied, not looking at the two. "So I guess that makes me fairly alright. If I wasn't thinking about risks, then I might be scared of the unknown and feeling bad. But I also might be happier not thinking about it because if I judge a risk to be dangerous, then I might worry about it."

"I think it's pretty weird myself," the Skarmory continued, sitting so he could look at them. "It's like eating grass. It's weird enough that it's something you do if you want to make other pokemon think that you're weird. But in reality, you're pretending. In and of itself, that makes you weird, but you know you're not."

"So by thinking about risk, I'm being weird. But no one would know that if I didn't tell them."

The Skarmory frowned. "Which means you trapped me in a leading question. Ahaha, you're smart!"

"Err, that aside, I really am fine. Most of the lofty things we do go over my head. I don't mind too much."

RJR Basimilus

Partners
  1. arceus-fighting
  2. lurantis
  3. arceus-poison
  4. haxorus
"Theoretically? I'm wondering about us being sent off to kill that- well- whatever that thing is. It was already pushing it on the moon, but it's a different dimension now? How can we guarantee it's not a dimension filled with hungry ghosts?"

Seyka smiled. "Realistically though? I haven't been analyzing a damn thing. Because it hasn't been about weighing things in the first place. Going off and saving a world without a tangible incentive or profit nullifies the risk. If we stand to gain nothing, then there's no point in considering negative outcomes as part of an equation. It's just a plain loss."

"Oh- if you forget, you don't even get to stand behind noble intent. Because you uh, forgot about it."

The Skarmory looked down in thought. "I suppose this means that this entire affair... is nothing more than a statistical probability! Connotation is dependent on interpretation."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"I don't really know if that's true," Owen said, frowning. "Just because we don't remember it doesn't mean it didn't happen. We're still going to be remembered by others. And there's no telling if we might learn about it again in the future, too. I think that alone is worth it." Owen glanced at Cal. "Besides, don't people do things that won't benefit them all the time, if it meant it'll help out those who remain? I think you're discounting that in your... probabilities."

RJR Basimilus

Partners
  1. arceus-fighting
  2. lurantis
  3. arceus-poison
  4. haxorus
"I'll admit, being admired by strangers is a concept lost on me," Seyka said blankly, "Likewise, being remembered by a stranger is like being perceived by the rain."

"Actions without meaning still have a result- that much is true. The benefit of helping someone without reward is in itself the benefit, but if the act itself is forgotten, the meaning is blunted. Remembering after the fact is just delayed gratification, which lessens the impact." Seyka paused. "Mmm, I suppose the crux of it is irrelevant. What has already happened has happened, and what will be, will become. I guess that means this is a matter of what these memories will mean to me when I remember them. Maybe this is something I do that doesn't benefit me now, but will help me in the future?"

"But, if it helps others, I'm not complaining," Seyka said, smiling, "At the very least, it passes the time."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Owen sighed. Seyka's reasoning always puzzled him because it always seemed to only be a close neighbor to logical, while still sounding like it made sense. Except, not really.

"I guess only thinking about how things would reward me," Owen said, "isn't in my nature. I always think about how many others I can help. To not do something because it wouldn't benefit me, even if it would benefit others... Like, unless it kills me or something"--Owen decided not to mention the times he'd resolved for that anyway--"I don't see why not..."

RJR Basimilus

Partners
  1. arceus-fighting
  2. lurantis
  3. arceus-poison
  4. haxorus
"If that's what you choose to do, then it's fine!" Seyka tilted his head. "Do you draw a line though? Like, let's say you die for someone. Would you rather die for two strangers or one friend?"

The Skarmory stuck his tongue out. "And I know the answer to these questions is always that it depends on the situation, but wouldn't it be easier to make decisions if you had a list of who you would and wouldn't die for? Uh, among other things."

"Even beyond that, are you limiting the good you can do at your expense to only things you can accomplish?" Seyka looked thoughtful. "If you could tear off your arm right now and ensure five pokemon were saved from being vaporized, then that would be a fair trade allegedly. But what if additionally, you could tear off someone else's arm along with your own and save ten?!"

"This other pokemon doesn't get a say in the matter by the way," Seyka added.

"You're hurting yourself, and someone random, for the benefit of a larger group. Your sacrifice is appreciated because it's on your own terms, but if the second component is a total loss on their end- and they'll never get over it or something- is the end result better than the first option? Assuming that if you choose the first option, five live and the other five die."

"I don't know what I'd pick," Seyka said. "Fun to think about though."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom