• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Destiny Village ~ Parfait Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
Almost as if fate was toying with his thoughts, the great shadow that passed by overhead made Nip freeze in place, his tailfeathers spreading behind him. The fur on his spine prickled as the shadow passed, then descended, landing nearby. By all accounts, the fact that he was left alone should have made Nip relax. But it didn't.

How could he, when he was in her presence.

Though perhaps it had been inevitable — Nip had already seen so many legends in his stay here — somehow, Nip had yet cross paths with Yveltal. And yet, here she was. His god.

...Well, not quite his god, he reminded himself. And yet, he was perhaps just as starstruck as if he had encountered his yveltal.

He took a deep breath. Two. And a third to calm himself. Perhaps she could point him in the right direction towards Maple's home. It beat stumbling around lost, wasting his time. It was easy. All he had to do is step forward and ask. Why was that so difficult?

Asking for guidance from a god? Easy.

No, it certainly was not easy. But after a moment of deliberation, Nip finally got the courage to step forward.

"Ah, excuse me," he called out as he approached.

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
As much as he wanted to stare in awe, Nip fought the urge to gawk. He at first looked Yveltal in the eye, then lost his nerve and instead shifted his gaze to some point just beyond her. Idly, he scratched behind one ear feather. "Is it that obvious? Yes. I am Nip of team spectrum." He hesitated, shifting his gaze further before returning to the original spot. Hopefully it looked as if he was keeping eye-contact. "Though... you may call me Eggant, if it is more pleasing on the ear."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Eggant? A fine alias." Yveltal blinked, her beak not giving for much expression to read from. "I do not go by a common name, so Yveltal will do."

She seemed to be sizing him up, like he recognized his strength, but could not see it properly. "Did you need my help with something? I've spoken with Arceus already; I do not know if my powers will be useful against Joule. His boundless energy rivals Maple, and I've already found her to be too alive to fight."

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
"Oh, not at all," Nip began, before adding, "a-although I'm sure you're much more powerful than you make yourself out to be." Oh Yveltal, he hoped he hadn't offended... Yveltal. Someow, the saying carried less weight when he was staring her in the face.

"My question was much more... mundane in nature." He paused, averting his gaze, his earfeathers drooping with embarrassment. "I was actually looking to meet up with Maple in hopes of discussing strategy. But I got a bit... mixed up among the pathways here, and was hoping you could point me in the right direction."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Oh, you're looking for Maple?" Yveltal pointed a wing down the road, at a house five properties down. "She lives in that one. You must have been disoriented because of how large it is for a Smeargle... But I think it is that size to accommodate her true form. As well as, hypothetically, the hope that she would reunite with Joule. Though, I do not think she is there at the moment."

Yveltal eyed Nip again.

"For someone who battles Legends every few weeks... you seem nervous. Is this upcoming battle not more of the same for you?"

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
Nip followed the gesture, drooping slightly. "Not there? Guess I'll try going back to the guild." Which meant finding his way all the way back. Joy.

He returned his gaze to Yveltal as she spoke up again. "Well... It's the same in some ways. Dangerous, with the odds stacked against us. But this time, we have more time to work out what we're up against. More time to plan." He paused to shake his head. "But while the coming battle has me nervous, it's... not my primary reason for being worried.

"In the world I'm from, I did not live like... well, this." He brought his arms out to gesture to the large buildings and wide streets. "The only... town I ever knew was more similar to Treasure Town. But that was not my home either. My kin and I, we lived in caves and den, some made and both maintained by our ancestors. We didn't live in wide-open spaces, where we'd be exposed and open to attack."

He paused, hesitating before adding, "And... I suppose I should admit our meeting had me nervous as well. You see... my tribe, we followed the Yveltal of our world. Her teachings were passed down to us through the seasons, and we followed them as law. Meeting you, and facing off against other legends as we have, it's... been a lot to take in."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"I see... Yes. From a lifestyle like that to this one... It's no different than you taking up residency in a desert, wouldn't it?" Yveltal could only imagine. Living a life in the wilds and then transitioning into cities; hearing about Legends in just folklore to actually meeting one in person... It was a wonder that Nip was able to keep his wits at all.

"Your tribe worshipped me, did they?" Yveltal asked, frowning. "Well,... I can only hope that the Yveltal of your world has more to say for themselves than I. I'm... not the most accomplished Legend. There isn't much want for my power... It was more readily taken advantage of by Dark Matter than used by Arceus or myself for the good of the world. I was... insurance. And even then, I had been used against the world... I'm sure you've heard the tale by now."

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
Ah that was right. The story of this world's Yveltal had nearly slipped his mind. "I have heard the stories," he replied. "It is an unfortunate story. Though... I suppose I can sympathize. It must be hard for you to have your powers viewed in a negative light. Most pokemon don't wish to die. And yet, it is an inevitability. A fact of life. An for many, only through taking a life can they eat and live. It's harsh, but not without reason."

Shifting his weight, he shifted the subject slightly. "In my world, it was Yveltal's duty to make sure those that die pass safely to the life beyond, and that they don't remain as lingering spirits. Do you fill a similar role?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Yveltal's gaze softened a little more. "That's a beautiful way of phrasing it," she said. "I do have a role that I may follow now and then... guiding spirits that refuse to pass on and so forth... but I'm not the only one. In fact, typically, that is something the Voice of Life does. He also helps guide humans back home when their journey is over."

She seemed displeased at that, then said, "He isn't very good at it. As of late, the humans decide to stay here instead. It does make me wonder what kinds of humans he's getting if they'd so readily abandon their home worlds..."

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
He tilted his head, curious. Then his expression became more serious.

Hesitance. A slight shifting of his weight. "I won't pretend to understand humans. Prior to coming here, I had never heard of them. But I can understand the desire to not return home. Perhaps they have nothing to go back to. Or perhaps what they have to go back to is not good. Or... maybe they weren't good humans, but they've made themselves better here. Maybe it's for some other, human reason I can't begin to understand."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Mmm... That's also true." Yveltal nodded slowly, and then looked down. "Well, it's good that you've kept such an open mind about it. We do owe humans a lot for saving this world so often. I won't deny that I am a little... bitter about it, though. I like to think that we Pokemon can stand on our own without the help of humans. And yet here we are again, relying on outsiders to save our world..."

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
"Mm. I try to." He paused. One of his ear feathers twitched. "Though... I could argue that if any disaster that's hit your world needed outside help. It's this one. Many of the previous threats were either smaller in scale, or else a part of this world already. This is something... bigger. Many of the threats you face now came from outside your world, and your world won't be the only one in danger if they're not dealt with."

Another pause. "Even if you can't face the cause head-on, though, surely there's things you and the other residents of the world could do to help? Making sure that pokemon that are unable to fight are kept safe and far away from the battles, keeping morale up, and the like?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"I am..." Yveltal chose her words carefully. "I am not the greatest at keeping up morale or making people feel safe. If I am around I am seen as an omen of death and impending doom. Your tribe is... an outlier in how I am addressed or spoken of. I am a... necessary evil to many." She looked off. "After what happened with Dark Matter, perhaps it is deserved."

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
"Is impending doom not here already?" Nip replied, raising one paw to gesture to the dark ball of energy suspended above the bubble. He lowered his arm and hunched his shoulders, then hesitated before adding, "I... do understand your hesitation. But.... if a god cannot atone for the wrongs they caused, what hope do we mortals have of doing so?"

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
"I see. You... make a valid argument," Nip said after a moment of silence. "One that I cannot easily refute. I..." He let out a sigh, his earfeathers drooping. "I am sorry, Yveltal, I did not mean to keep you this long. Thank you for speaking with me."

He took a couple steps back, hesitated, and said, "I do understand your reservations. But if we fail against Joule, well, it will be up to whoever remains of our team and, well, the other pokemon of Destiny Village to try and finish the job. Or else... help the survivors escape. I won't try to tell you what to do. But I just ask that you consider what I said."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"I will," Yveltal replied, looking almost surprised that Nip had to make the request at all. "...Right. I'm sorry. I'm so used to being overlooked in recent years. I should remember that I have more of a clean slate with you all, and... someone who respected another of my kind, in your world." Her eyes had a little shine to them, like she was smiling. It didn't look like she got to do that often. "Thank you... Nip. I think I will go by your home name."

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
He perked up slightly offering a weak smile. "...Thank you. Yveltal. I'll remember this." With that, he bowed his head respectfully, then turned and began to pad down the road, back towards the guild.

At least, he hoped he was headed for the guild.

<><><><>​

R9 - Heroes and Survivors [Astrid & Seyka]

TheGOAT

🗿
Pronouns
Him/his
Partners
  1. serperior
  2. alolatales-goat
The catastrophe in the sky above was impossible not to notice. Astrid tried to pretend she didn’t, but got slammed into a wall of futility shortly thereafter. By now she’d crossed under its shadow dozens of times in her travels around the city; by now, dammit, she’d have hoped to have gotten used to it. But no.

Astrid sneered at Giovanni and Joule’s hazy image above. She allowed herself to feel angry. How could anyone get used to your ugly mugs? Leave us alone, yeah? Yeah. Jerks. She stuck out her tongue for good measure.

That felt good. Somewhat. Astrid absent-mindedly yawned and used her badge as an excuse to look down for once, grimacing when she saw the time. It wouldn’t be much longer now, and she was still—no, no, she’d be fine. She’d forgotten to stretch before last battle, so if she stretched this time, it would surely help cancel out her current injuries.

She put her badge away and sighed. “Where is…” Myles was probably somewhere… in a place. Astrid’s best guess was as good as anyone’s. “…oh, whatever.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom