• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Destiny Village ~ Central Crossroads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambyssin

Gotta go back. Back to the past.
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
"In this world... I can hardly be considered a danger. I tuned my aura to defenses." Bahamut's eyes and core flickered pink. "My attacks are worthless. But those of you who deal devastating blows... you lack a certain killer intent." His tail flicked to his right. "A few lives or an entire planet. Sometimes you don't get the luxury of preserving both. And we were summoned to rescue Cibus, which these shades and Darkwhite aren't native to in the first place."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Owen, with the help of a few others, quickly tried to make his way to the Guild to see what was happening, hearing the tail-end of some of the conversation. It helped that Cal was there to silently give him more of an idea of what was happening.

"Yer fella with the illusions," she hissed through gritted teeth. "Could he have duped you with sleight of hand? Or have used yer badge to send a false message? I'd bet my fuckin' tail it's him we're after."

Soda's eyes twitched. "I was blown into a goddamn wall!" He pointed a claw at Brisa, snarling. "How in the--"

"I know what Soda's presence feels like," Maple said with a similar hiss as Brisa, not even acknowledging that she had dropped Cal.

"Are you kidding me? You gave it to yourself? Brilliant. You did the single most obvious, predictable thing possible, and in doing so, you undermined the entire purpose of the randomness. I bet he didn't even need to be told who had the stone: You're the first one I'd have checked, too."

"If Sword was on any of you..." Maple's fist was shaking. "Then that shadowy creature, Giovanni, anyone, would have abducted you or attacked blindly in search of Sword. That is what I feared. None of you would have been able to stand up to it. Giovanni... left the moment he got Sword. He would have only prolonged the fight..." She looked at the bag, then at Cal, like she was somehow to blame.

"And now one has to wonder what this all means for these shades and the ultra stones they inhabit. Will they spawn eternatus larvae as well? If so, that makes them potential liabilities. Ticking time bombs."
"We don't get rid of folks just 'cause they might be a danger. That's the kinda shit what makes you a goddamn danger."
"In this world... I can hardly be considered a danger. I tuned my aura to defenses."

"'Scuze me?" Cal muttered, bubbling. "Look, I know you're being some kind of death seeker right about now, but don't drag me down with you. I'm only a handful of months old, and I'd like to keep that number going up."

"Ain't it obvious? We're constantly bein' exposed to corruption. Your corruption. Team Spectrum uses Radiance and Shadow every battle we fight. If shades absorb that corruption just by bein' nearby..."

"I'm with Brisa," Cal said. "I don't feel all that corrupted. Sure I might look it but I've been perfectly well-behaved mostly! And even if that's true... well, what would you guys do without us, huh? We should keep trying instead of making us all weaker."

"A few lives or an entire planet. Sometimes you don't get the luxury of preserving both. And we were summoned to rescue Cibus, which these shades and Darkwhite aren't native to in the first place."

"I dunno if I want to take the advice from someone who decided genocide was a nifty idea back in the day." Her golden embers flared to life. "Not like it did your world any favors. Chances are, Eternatus is already here. Trying to kill people to quiet the world down isn't gonna work with whatever you think is gonna happen. And you know what? I think you constantly trying to hit the kill option is making the enemy stronger, too! I bet Giovanni told us that there are spies so we can stop trusting each other. He didn't need spies to pull this off. You're falling for his trap!"

"Cal," called a sharp voice, "that's enough."

Cal gathered together her goopy form and shaped up. "Oh--wait, Wishkeeper, I'm guessing?" Cal frowned at the dark, cracked pattern that crawled up Owen's torso, as well as the black flame on his tail.

"We've been looking at this from the wrong angle from the start," Wishkeeper muttered as Owen floated around him, scanning for further damages or injuries. He pointed several others to weak points to reinforce or tell others to keep away from. "There is no use in trying to blame others for their best efforts." He looked to Celeste. "And there is no point in trying to argue for killing members of the team." He looked at Bahamut. "No matter how reasonable it may seem to you, it's simply not going to happen given our dynamics. Bringing it up will only lead to a drop in morale. And in this world, morale is tangible."

Wishkeeper approached Maple, then Soda. Both were still seething. Soda in particular looked like he was ready to lash out at anybody nearby, particularly Brisa.

"Giovanni gave up and left too quickly when we defeated Darkwhite the first time," Wishkeeper said. "That was because it was part of his plan. He had us tricked from the very beginning. We'd been tricked from the start. He is not the sort of person to hand Sword over unless he had a means to get her back. ...But with how coordinated this was... I do not think Giovanni could have done it alone. But don't take what he said at face value, either." Wishkeeper looked at Maple. "We may have a spy, but they may not be willing or even aware of it. And I wouldn't trust the number Giovanni gave, either. Just that it isn't zero. Which means..."

The shadows left when Owen finished his inspections, and Wishkeeper withdrew. The cracks receded, and Owen's flame returned to orange. "...If we want Sword back, we have to beat Giovanni, first. Not tear each other apart."

Last edited:

Virgil134

PMD Writer
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. weavile
  3. kommo-o
  4. noivern
  5. mothim
Cabot crossed his arms, mulling over Wishkeeper's words.

"He's right. It's been less than an hour and we're already accusing each other and getting into arguments. This is probably why Giovanni even told us about these supposed spies in the first place. That shadowy creature probably took Cal and switched her with Sword for that exact reason."

He shook his head. "Let's see what we can do to get Sword back. I'm guessing Giovanni and that creature with him took her back to that base underneath the Isle of Light, so maybe we should start planning out a rescue mission."

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"Yeah!" Saltriv shouted. "We can't waste time arguing, when Sword might be in danger again! We should go back as soon as possible to try and rescue her!"

They'd answer Sword's call.

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
The shadows left when Owen finished his inspections, and Wishkeeper withdrew. The cracks receded, and Owen's flame returned to orange. "...If we want Sword back, we have to beat Giovanni, first. Not tear each other apart
"Then we best start planning," Nip said with a grunt. He ran his claws across each other, as if testing their sharpness.

"We'll need our rest, but we shouldn't wait long. The longer we wait, the more thine he has to gather his own power."

Ambyssin

Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
Chances are, Eternatus is already here. Trying to kill people to quiet the world down isn't gonna work with whatever you think is gonna happen. And you know what? I think you constantly trying to hit the kill option is making the enemy stronger, too! I bet Giovanni told us that there are spies so we can stop trusting each other.
"You're twisting my words, child." Bahamut's core and eyes turned a deep purple. "My thoughts on Darkwhite pertained to the battle, which is done, for better or worse. And I'm simply stating that we should keep an eye on all you shades. Darkwhite was active long before we found other ultra stones and even longer before you all 'hatched.' So, while you say you're feeling fine now, that's hardly a guarantee of what the future has in store. And I don't want anyone's will to falter because they find themselves facing down a shade they've grown oh-so attached to."

No matter how reasonable it may seem to you, it's simply not going to happen given our dynamics. Bringing it up will only lead to a drop in morale. And in this world, morale is tangible."
"Perhaps. Or, perhaps, Giovanni is planning around the team's do-gooder attitude. Look at how the thought process has shifted." Bahamut gestured toward Nip, Cabot, and Saltriv. "Even after what you said about stopping Giovanni, their focus is on preparing to rescue Sword instead of preparing to fight Giovanni." He shook his head. "The primary focus should still be ending the Blacklight's corruptive influence, whether the source is Giovanni or something else entirely. If that leads to Sword getting rescued, then you all get your perfect happy ending."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
And I don't want anyone's will to falter because they find themselves facing down a shade they've grown oh-so attached to."

"You know, you may be used to seeing the world under gloom and doom," Cal hissed, "but thinking, 'wow I might have to kill you one day' isn't really something that normal people dwell on. That's why I'm not gonna try entertaining that until we have to."

Ambyssin

Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
"There's nothing normal about any of this." Bahamut shrugged. "And you won't have to entertain anything. If it does happen, you'll be the one trying to kill us."

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
To say that Icetales was aghast by what was happening would be a misunderstanding. First there was the whole chaos with the attack, then Sword was gone for some reason, and now his comrades were flinging accusations left and right.

“Sheesh! Why can’t we have a normal day for once?!” cried out Petram, snorting a fireball and crossing his forepaws. “Something bad happens and everything goes to hel—”

“Do not complete thy thought, darling…” muttered Icetales, frowning. “Such sour language is not warranted.”

Petram stared at his father. “Oh, c’mon! I know you’re frustrated as well, Daddy! Why don’t you just shout your frustration?”

“I would prefer to… attempt to reign the frustration of our comrades, my dear. Murky mindsets are not helpful in any way. As such…”

Icetales distanced himself from the little Shade and glanced at his comrades. He cleared his throat and raised his tails, trying to stand out more.

“My comrades, please! Assaulting each other with verbal jabs is not going to bear any fruit nor bring Miss Sword back,” he shouted, his voice even and authoritative. “This whole situation has been one enormous string of unfortunate circumstances, yes, and we all are tired after the battle and are beyond livid because all our efforts have been for naught. Notwithstanding, what we shall do now it’s to regroup and plan our next action, not to target each other. We are just wasting precious seconds and energy with this unnecessary animosity.”

Ambyssin

Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
"Have fun with that." Bahamut made for the door. "I'm off to," he looked right at Owen and, by extension, his shadow, "someplace I can't 'bring the team's morale down.'"

And he headed out the door, appearing to go in Destiny Tower's direction.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
The aftermath of the fight was chaos. People made profoundly unreasonable suggestions for dealing with Sword. The Mudkip was talking sense, even while dripping with Shadow influence, which, uh. Was a thing. Maple said she'd give Sword to somebody at random, only to carry her herself, which of course would be the first place Giovanni looked.

Giovanni insisted there were traitors working with him among Team Spectrum and the Destiny Village residents, didn't surprise him. Didn't mean he was telling the truth, could just be fucking with them to sow discord, but of course the God Squad were shady as fuck, he'd been saying it the whole time, maybe it was fucking Arceus since the fucker did apparently actually exist--

Luz grinned, and put her head on one side. "Ain't it obvious? We're constantly bein' exposed to corruption. Your corruption. Team Spectrum uses Radiance and Shadow every battle we fight. If shades absorb that corruption just by bein' nearby..."
"You're twisting my words, child." Bahamut's core and eyes turned a deep purple. "My thoughts on Darkwhite pertained to the battle, which is done, for better or worse. And I'm simply stating that we should keep an eye on all you shades. Darkwhite was active long before we found other ultra stones and even longer before you all 'hatched.' So, while you say you're feeling fine now, that's hardly a guarantee of what the future has in store. And I don't want anyone's will to falter because they find themselves facing down a shade they've grown oh-so attached to."
...Dave froze. "What the fuck? Why would you think that? Didn't shades corrupt people last time we fucking checked? Where is this coming from?"

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa gnashed her teeth as she listened to the back-and-forth, the argument, the quiet anggry comments people either didn't think or didn't care would be oveheard. She watched Bahamut sulk off, more willing to withdraw his aid than to concede a point, as usual. She–

"Well, I think that could've gone worse," said Luz, chipper as ever.

Brisa whirled on her familiar in a fury. "What the ever-livin' fuck is wrong with you?" she snarled. "Makin' comments like that? Actin' all cheerful like this is some kinda fuckin' game? I thought you were supposed to be a goddamn hero, but you just can't take things seriously!"

Luz, for the first time in her weeks-long existence, looked crestfallen. "It ain't like that, darlin'," she said. "I'm just tryin' to make the best of things, keep up morale, and have faith in the team."

"How is suggestin' that you're gonna grow into some fuckin' abomination and turn on us any of those things?" asked Brisa, horrified.

Luz sighed. "You can't answer folks' concerns by refusin' to acknowledge 'em," she answered. "You gotta air things out t'have the chance to clear 'em up. I'm a shade with a positive attitude, that's all!"

"You're fuckin' naive is what you are," hissed Brisa. "Spinnin' an argument fer a terrifyin' possibility like that will just stir up mistrust and paranoia! I'm already snappin' at allies who ain't done anythin' wrong–"

She choked up, unable to look Soda in the eye.

Luz knelt down and took Brisa by the shoulders. "Darlin', listen. We don't win by keepin' quiet about our worst fears. We win by risin' to 'em. If I never said any of that stuff, you wouldn't have said what you said. You remember? 'It's our duty to try to save every life we can. We don't get rid of folks just 'cause they might be a danger.' That's the best in ya. That's yer truth. That's what we need to save Sword."

Brisa shook her head, numbly. "But I failed her..." she whispered.

"That's what this is really about, right?" asked Luz, her signature fanged smile back on her face despite her sympathetic tone. "That don't matter none. We're up against some good-fer-nothin' villain who can outdo us at our best. You can make all the best decisions and still lose. That just means ya gotta keep reachin' fer the best in ya until you win. Is that what you're gonna do?"

Brisa nodded. "Yeah. Okay."

Luz beamed, clapped her on the shoulder, and went off to rally other members of the team for a return to the Isle of Light. What would Brisa do, to 'reach for the best in her'? She looked up at Soda, who she'd turned her scrutiny on without a second thought. Just because he could have tricked his allies. She felt sick.

"Zoroark Soda," she said. "Y'ain't given me reason to mistrust you. I shouldn't've put my suspicions on ya in haste, and I'm awful sorry fer it. I hope y'can forgive me."

She braced herself for anger. Prayed for a stiff but brief admonishment.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Zoroark Soda," she said. "Y'ain't given me reason to mistrust you. I shouldn't've put my suspicions on ya in haste, and I'm awful sorry fer it. I hope y'can forgive me."

She braced herself for anger. Prayed for a stiff but brief admonishment.

The Zoroark stared for a while, still seething, but it didn't seem to be about Brisa specifically anymore. It was aimless, scattered, and Maple gave him the occasional, concerned glance. Finally, he muttered, "Just forget it," and then wandered off. His mane was still dull--looked like there were little streaks of gray in them--and his fur, unkempt. And he didn't disappear this time, either. The Zoroark, exposed, merely limped down the road and to the restaurant streets.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Didn't shades corrupt people last time we fucking checked?
Luz stopped by Dave with a bright smile on her dark face. "Howdy there! Dave, right? The way I understand it, shades don't produce Shadows at all. That's yer own dark stuff! Core-less shades don't mean to corrupt nobody, they just can't help but draw out repressed thoughts once there's a telepathic bond. In fact, ultra familiars can even reduce yer corruption by drawin' it into themselves! Anyway, are you comin' with us to rescue Sword from Giovanni at the Isle of Light?"

She put her hands on her hips and grinned toothily to await an answer.

Brisa looked to Blade briefly with an expression of subdued chagrin. "I figure he gets this shit a lot. Let him know I'm grateful fer his efforts. And, uh, Luz didn't mean anythin' by what she said, she just... She's just like that. I'm gonna see who I can round up and... and get my head right."

Brisa looked around the disaster zone, looking for allies. Owen seemed okay. Icetales, too. Celeste. Astrid... she still wasn't ready to speak to Astrid, not without getting upset. Starr–

Starr.

She hadn't had her usual, thrilling, fulfilling tag-team combat rush with her friend that last fight. Something about seeing Giovanni hanging in the air, taunting the posse, gloating about his supremacy... it filled Starr with hate like Brisa never saw in her elsewise. And now, with Giovanni having so recently been up close and demonstrating how untouchable he was, Starr now stared fixedly at nothing, waiting for something. For the world to make sense, maybe. For herself to be stronger. ...For a friend?

Brisa loped over to Starr, her tail and ears lowered in concern.

"Starr. Are y'with me, partner?"

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Luz stopped by Dave with a bright smile on her dark face. "Howdy there! Dave, right? The way I understand it, shades don't produce Shadows at all. That's yer own dark stuff! Core-less shades don't mean to corrupt nobody, they just can't help but draw out repressed thoughts once there's a telepathic bond. In fact, ultra familiars can even reduce yer corruption by drawin' it into themselves! Anyway, are you comin' with us to rescue Sword from Giovanni at the Isle of Light?"

She put her hands on her hips and grinned toothily to await an answer.
"Yes, draw out repressed thoughts, that's what I fucking meant," Dave snapped. "There's not a damn thing suggesting shades are getting corrupted by us. Just Sword being corrupted while having an Ultra Stone core, which might I remind you all is fucking different from all of your cores, and she also looks completely different, and she hasn't been hanging around us much at all. So where the fuck is that coming from? Isn't the obvious fucking conclusion here that her Ultra Stone is corrupted, and has been the whole time, and it has fuck-all to do with any of you?"

He paused for a breath. "And yeah, I'm coming," he grumbled. He glanced at Mia, who was frowning at him. What, did she think they were likely to turn into fucking Eternatus? He clenched his jaw and half-expected her to start arguing with him, but she didn't.

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"I'm going too!" Saltriv interjected. "I'm not leaving Sword behind after everything."

There was a smile on their face, but it seemed forced. Behind it, was a mixture of sadness, fear, and determination.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
There's not a damn thing suggesting shades are getting corrupted by us. Just Sword being corrupted while having an Ultra Stone core, which might I remind you all is fucking different from all of your cores, and she also looks completely different, and she hasn't been hanging around us much at all. So where the fuck is that coming from? Isn't the obvious fucking conclusion here that her Ultra Stone is corrupted, and has been the whole time, and it has fuck-all to do with any of you?
Luz just smiled wider. "Naw, Sword drew out corruption from all those Legendaries we rescued and fought. Like Ho-oh! In fact, that was Giovanni's intention this whole time. So y'see, once a truly enormous amount of corruption is drawn from pokémon into an ultra familiar... they become like her! Just like I said. Anyway, glad to have you with us fer the mission, Dave! What about yerself, miss... Mia, right?"

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Luz just smiled wider. "Naw, Sword drew out corruption from all those Legendaries we rescued and fought. Like Ho-oh! In fact, that was Giovanni's intention this whole time. So y'see, once a truly enormous amount of corruption is drawn from pokémon into an ultra familiar... they become like her! Just like I said. Anyway, glad to have you with us fer the mission, Dave! What about yerself, miss... Mia, right?"
"She did that fucking intentionally, not just by being near them, and they weren't us, and like I said, she's obviously different from all of you and has been from the start," he snarled.

"I'm coming," Mia said, in the same tone as always. "If you're on the mission too then are you going to not be weird about it?"

"Jesus, okay, Mia, yes, you can get your fight on," he snapped. She turned back to Luz, pleased.

Dave took a deep breath, rubbing a paw over his face. God. Fuck. It was never any use apologizing to Mia; she obviously didn't care anyway, and was more annoyed when people tried than if they didn't.

"Let's just get going on this fucking rescue mission, all right?"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Luz just shrugged at Dave's furious insistence. It wasn't her problem if the guy was mad about shades being a potential danger. She didn't really believe they were, it was just factually true that they might be.

"Alright!" she said, rubbing her massive forepaws together. "That's another three fer the mission. Say, it's Saltriv, right? You were in the last Isle of Light mission with me, you could help me catch some volunteers up on what to expect!"

They didn't have a plan yet, sure, but Luz felt confident. She always felt confident. Everything would work out!

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
God dammit could things just go right for five minutes. Five minutes to just feel good about a victory for a change, was that really too much to ask? Or were things always gonna be like back home where they'd save a useless Legendary and then instantly get called off to some other crisis clear across the region because some asshole kept jerking them around and forcing them to play right into his hands.

But Starr would still have preferred going back to when said asshole was just Sebastian and not fucking Mewtwo Giovanni.

There was too much bullshit to keep track of it all. Fucking Bahamut acting like the problem was that the team couldn't make sacrifices and wasn't able to kill--yeah, like that was the problem. Giovanni implying he had a spy and half the team devolving into paranoia and bullshit accusations (the Zoroark--seriously??) like he obviously was hoping they would. And then he just up and stole Darkwhite after they went through all that effort to take down the fucking alien abomination that came out of her and Starr was very much ready to be done with all of it.

"Starr. Are y'with me, partner?"
And now. And now Brisa wanted to rush off on some rescue mission when all Starr wanted was to forget that Giovanni was even in this world. She sure as hell didn't want to go looking for him when it was bad enough that he was gonna show up whenever the hell he felt like it because no one could stop him.

It wasn't that Starr didn't want to beat the shit out of that Mewtwo. It was that none of them could, and trying to pretend otherwise was asinine.

Except Brisa was really taking this loss personally. Like she'd failed, or like there was anything she should have done, and not just the team being totally outclassed for this.

...God why'd she have to care so much, ugh.

It was completely insane, but so was everything else they'd done here.

"Alright, what's the plan," Starr muttered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom