• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Destiny Village ~ Central Crossroads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"What was that? I can't hear you over going so fast!" Buffet laughed madly, doing even more loops in the air and subjecting Saltriv to quite a few Gs of force. Then, with a sudden twist, and as his three smiles twisted into devilish grins... And then, Buffet performed a cork-screw in the air, lurched upward, and then became intangible.

And suddenly, Saltriv was in total freefall, hundreds of feet in the air.

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"Please! Slow dow-" Saltriv began, before suddenly there was nothing but air underneath them. Their vines were wrapped around nothing, and gravity took its hold on them, pulling them down.

As they fell, a memory rushed through their head, of a situation vaguely similar to this one.

Somewhere between worlds... said:
CRASH!

Just as the human grabbed Saltriv, the massive hand collided with the platform, shattering it, and sending Saltriv and the human holding them falling down, far down, through the multicolored void they found themselves in...

As they fell, they could hear their own screams, the humans', as well as many more.

Saltriv screamed as they fell.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Buffet twirled in the air and sped toward Saltriv, even faster than his falling speed, with three manic grins on all his faces. Then, he stopped just below Saltriv and banked upward so the Bayleef landed snugly on his back, and then he slowed his fall with rapid, pressing deceleration.

In time, Buffet landed back on he ground and let Saltriv off, giggling.

"Wasn't that fun?" he asked.

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"No! That was terrifying!" Saltriv said, now gripping onto the side heads with three vines each.

Something was definitely wrong with Buffet.

They took a few deep breaths. They felt the sun shine down onto their leaf, and let the light energize and revitalize them.

Once they were a bit calmer, they asked, "What was that for?!"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"What do you mean?" Buffet asked, tilting his heads. "I thought it was a great flight! Uhuhu... well... I suppose it was a little energetic, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it if we do it again!" Buffet floated closer to Saltriv again. "I know! How about, this time, we..." Buffet studied Saltriv's expression, frowning. "Oh... You really were scared?"

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"Yeah...didn't I tell you I was?" Saltriv said, leaf drooping. Why wasn't Buffet able to tell after they told him?

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"Wait! Don't go yet!" Saltriv exclaimed. "I was going to ask if you could take me to that Spirit's Edge place where..."

They trailed off, as they noticed the ears that Buffet now had, that definitely weren't there before. They seemed oddly familiar, too...

Wait...were those Darkwhite's ears?!

Buffet's laugh seemed similar to Darkwhite's, too...

"...Darkwhite?" they tentatively asked. "Is that you? You're okay?"

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"Your ears, they weren't there a minute ago, and..." Saltriv trailed off, as they smelled something burning. They looked around, and spotted a fire on the end of Buffet's tail.

"...you have a Charmander's tailflame," they said, eyes wide in shock.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"What?" Buffet seemed just as alarmed, spinning around several times to try to get a look. "I... I've never had something like that! What's going on? I--this body should be a Hydreigon's! Why, I haven't taken on a Charizard Voice form in... goodness, ever!" Buffet fidgeted. "Oh, dear... I don't know... But maybe it could be fun?"

There was a beat of silence, and then Buffet held his forehead. "I don't... think I'm myself at all, am I?" he asked. "I've... I don't understand..."

And it seemed that an awareness of the issue was making Buffet feel worse. "Perhaps I should... see Arceus. Perhaps he would know what's wrong..."

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
Saltriv frowned. Buffet didn't seem to be aware of what was happening to him before.

They should probably try and comfort him.

Saltriv wrapped two vines around Buffet's chest in a hug.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Buffet smiled a little at that, though he still did pull away, trying to resist the urge to send Saltriv on another flight through the skies. "Thank you, Saltriv. I'm sure Arceus can help... Uhuhu--ah, oh dear..."

After lingering for a while, Buffet flew toward Destiny Tower, keeping focus to not lose what was left of his sanity.

<><><>​

R11 - In which Skara's unboxing definitely makes everything better (solo)
Partners
  1. skiddo-steplively
  2. skiddo-px2
  3. skiddo-px3
  4. skiddo-iametrine
  5. skiddo-coolshades
  6. skiddo-rudolph
  7. skiddo-sleepytime
  8. snowskiddo
  9. skiddotina
  10. skiddengo
  11. skiddoyena
*Seated on a bench by the Crossroads, lost in thought as the sound of busy pokémon bustling by fills the air...*

You'd be forgiven for thinking that flight would be the most exciting part of becoming a vikavolt. Skara had thought so herself, once upon a time. She remembered fantasizing about it as a small child, about being able to dart through the air instead of having to crawl or hope she could find a place to anchor some silk for a swing. She remembered watching her parents take off in the mornings, imagining that the sky touched everything on Mondhame and so they could go literally anywhere. They wouldn't, of course—Father was always bound for the shop, Mother for her patrols—but they could have, and that meant that one day she could, too. She could've seen the city, or the ocean, or the mines where they dug up the sparkling elemental stones the merchants showed off when they came to town. And Cibus, even on fire all the time forever as it was, must surely have had some wonderful vistas to admire from above.

Instead, the first thing she'd stretched after the shell split and loosened its deathgrip were her legs. Mists take the damn wings for all she cared, she had legs again. One pair fewer than she was used to, sure, long and spindly and awkward to balance on now that her mandibles were bigger than her entire charjabug body, but. Legs. Legs that could carry her to a destination before sundown. Claws that were actually useful for climbing and for being able to hold her own badge.

Skara had reached out of that accursed box, grimaced as the blood flowed through muscles that ached from disuse and reconfiguration, tapped gingerly at the ground, tentatively tried to pull herself forward. Her reward had been toppling over, forward and sideways, still mostly tangled in the shell but now with front-heavy jaws in the way for bonus instability. She'd heard Araun trying and failing to stifle a snort behind her. She'd laughed and not even bothered to hide it. She could move.

Even now, several days later, she wasn't sure what had actually caused the evolution as Araun had carried her back from the battle. Maybe she'd reacted, somehow, to all the strange, super-powered lightning flying through the air as that pikachu energized his teammates. Maybe the Frozen Summit had an electromagnetic charge she hadn't had time to read about before arriving. Maybe it was just more Cibus Eterna Matter Light Tree nonsense, once again rendering her every attempt to understand her situation pointless.

It was probably that last one. Perhaps it was for the best if she just accepted that and stopped worrying. Cibus was a fog-damn mess, and given the current excitement back home that was saying something, but how different was it from home, really? There was a logic to whatever the heck was happening, even if it never would make sense to her personally. So leave the logicking to Pop, to the God Squad, to the members of Team Spectrum whose worlds were more similar to this. Do as they did, add her skills to theirs, and that would be enough.

It's not your job to be clever, Paldros always told them. It's not your job, or my job, or anyone's job. Clever is dangerous, because the dangerous things are cleverer than you. Clever is what gets you mocked, taken, broken, changed. Follow your training. Follow the rules.

And that Skara could do. Train, with proper focus, with useful attributes to pour that focus into. She could move. She could fly. (Eventually.) She had lightning, real lightning, not just that background buzzing static charge. She could learn to do what that pikachu did, perhaps. And if it ever really came down to raw firepower... well. She was no Brisa, no battling expert, but just by virtue of her species she imagined she could give the luxray a run for her money.

She still needed to learn to harness all that energy safely, of course. Make sure she actually had the word down pat this time and could stop saying it out loud like a little hatchling.

(You don't need the words here, remember? That's not how Cibus works.) Araun nudged her telepathically, and she winced. So what? she shot back. Old habits died hard, and all the better that they did. She had to keep up her training.

Some hesitation from Araun, and then: (Will that actually matter? I don't think you're gonna remember any of this when you go home... wouldn't it be better to lighten up, since you've got the chance?) Yes, it mattered. After every other attempt to make herself useful had failed, it was the only thing she had to fall back on. It was her last bastion of familiarity and routine, of discomfort.

Araun sighed, whined a little, let it go. Skara shook her head and spoke, verbally this time. "C'mon. I've still got more practicing to do, and you said that place with the pasta had salads. That should be a short enough trip from here for a test run, right?"

It should've been, certainly. This morning she'd finally got the hang of keeping her elytra open and out of her own way, and she imagined she could lock them in place long enough for that distance. The vikavolt shifted position, spread her wings, muttered the word under her breath as she gave the muscles a spark of lightning to kick them into high gear, jumped from the bench—

—and took a digger right into the paving stones, smashing into them jaws-first, pitching forward, and coming to rest on her back with a clatter and an audible *kk-zzzt*. Araun didn't bother trying to hide the laugh this time as he hopped down from his seat and set to turning her over with his nose. Skara could sense that, at least for now, he was enjoying himself enough not to resume his nagging. She decided that distracting him and cheering him up had been her plan from the outset, one hundred percent, and that the delibird guffawing at her from across the street was definitely worth it. Kinda.

Araun set her back on her feet. Skara didn't try spreading her wings again, instead just putting one claw in front of the other as she and her familiar turned toward the restaurant. She would need to learn to fly eventually, and with training and routine it would come.

For the moment, though, she didn't mind not flying, not training, and simply taking the time to stretch her legs.

<><><>​

R11: No stone unturned

Ambyssin

Gotta go back. Back to the past.
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
The ultra stone rolled along the road. It gurgled and wheezed. And was it suppressing a laugh?

“... lo... ve. It’s... love. Ha. Kh.”

Ambyssin

Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
The stone stopped. More and more slime pooled out around it. And said slime began to... solidify.

"Such unre... quited love..."

Talons dug themselves into the dirt. Insectoid forelegs gave way to something more canine.

"He spur... ned Xer... neas' advances... but did... not rej... ect him outright."

Canine hind paws slid out of the ooze. The stone elevated. It passed Raven's height. A black, bulging body.

"He acts abrasive, but that is simply a front. For he cares. He knows the depths of the truest love in the cosmos. And from that... he has found his hope."

A fish tail popped out with a loud squelch, followed by a large head incased in some sort of heavy-looking helmet. Anyone more familiar with the God Squad might recognize it as looking vaguely like Potluck as it turned around to face Raven. Two beady purple eyes shimmered from within the mask.

"Isn't it beautiful?"

Disco

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
They/Them
Raven frowned.

"Xerneas is not himself, and it's probably because Eternatus is in the tree's core. Dark Matter is being forced into a situation that I am certain makes him very unhappy. I don't think I would use the word beautiful to describe it. At the very least, he's back to his full power... And with Eien influencing him, Xerneas won't hurt Dark Matter. That's the only good thing about this."

Ambyssin

Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
Its beady purple eyes narrowed. Raspy wheezes came from inside its helmet. It took an unsteady step toward Raven. "There is no need for concern. Xerneas has become part of something bigger and better than himself." Another step. It giggled. "Alone with that tree, his life had surely grown remedial. Rudimentary. And that is no way to live."

It now stood over Raven. Its wheezes even louder. "So, Xerneas has accepted Eternatus' love. He can shine brighter than he ever could on his own." There was a spark in its purple eyes. "So, yes, it is beautiful. The fact that someone as worthless as me could gaze upon such beauty for even a small fragment of time... is delightful."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom