• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Destiny Colosseum ~ Training Rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"You're sure you don't want those potato wedges?" Owen offered, producing the container from his backpack. Shady hopped from his head and toward the package just as it opened, but a Shadowy claw emerged from Owen's shoulder and grabbed it in midair. Despite being completely expressionless, Shady seemed to be whining in its silent way.

The wedges were warm, but it was nothing a little fire wouldn't fix. The potatoes were golden and seasoned with what looked like pepper and garlic and coated with cheese and a creamy, dill-based dressing with bits of meat sprinkled throughout.

"It's probably too much for me," he admitted; the package itself was bigger than Owen's head.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Nate was fully prepared to turn down whatever squished lukewarm soggy excuses for potato wedges the charmander pulled out of his backpa--oh, fuck, those looked really good, actually.

He hung back warily for a moment, hunger warring with every instinct that this was a trap while the charmander heated the food up again. But, oh, fuck it. Might as well get something out of this conversation.

"Sure, thanks," Nate grunted, and darted in to grab a couple of the wedges, which he crammed unceremoniously into his mouth. A third he held out towards Owen's shade-stone. "Wan thiff?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Owen looked up at the stone, or tried to while it was back on his head, and grabbed the wedge for it. "Here," he offered, and then with his other hand grabbed a wedge for himself, eating with habitual politeness. The stone didn't seem particularly hungry, but perhaps out of similar politeness, did the same. Owen had to press the wedge against the stone, but gradually it disappeared, layer by layer, into Shady. And for a while, that's all they did, and Owen figured that Nate would appreciate that silence.

Nate didn't seem like the most talkative type, and based on how his Shadows were, there was a lot of hidden darkness that he covered up with endless vitriol toward... well, everything. He didn't think he would ever truly be able to understand a headspace like that... They reacted to things in a totally different way from one another. Still, they were a part of a team, and that meant he had to at least come to some kind of mutual, or grudging, respect. No matter how bitter one was, there was a chance they had a point about something.

Perhaps he was being too open with his Shadows. Maybe he was being too fast and loose with a power that could be detrimental to his mental health, and he didn't even realize it. But what else could he do to harness and control it? Or was he supposed to ignore it entirely? No... that didn't feel right. He still needed it to fight. Maybe he could ask again later, when they learned more--and when he hadn't exhausted all of Nate's social energy.

Oh, maybe Nate would appreciate that.

"There's a study room at the guild here," Owen told Nate near the middle of their meal. "It's quiet and nobody really goes there most of the time. If you hide out in the corner, I don't think people will bug you."

Last edited:

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Nate watched the stone eat the potato wedge, fascinated despite himself. How the fuck did that even work?

He should try that with Rocky, too; the shade had to be hungry, after not eating all day. Maybe... Maybe not here, though. The thought of sticking a potato wedge up against the stone and getting zero response whatsoever was so fucking pathetic he thought he might die of fucking embarrassment even thinking of it. He'd sneak a wedge out and try offering it to Rocky later, then. For the moment Nate tried not to think about it and focuse entirely on scarfing down the food before Owen thought better of his offer. At least the charmander wasn't trying to interrupt him with any chatty bullshit--not until he'd had some time to fill up, at least.

"Oh, yeah?" Nate asked, somewhat mushily. He swallowed and went on, "At the guild that, the one Arceus started or whatever the fuck?" God, he wasn't even going to say the fucking name. Hopefully it was better in the original translation. Although given what he'd seen from "Arceus," it probably wasn't. Good Christ.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
(( lol, curse of the cute mudkips strikes again ))

Marshadow? What the fuck kind of pokémon was that? Nate was picturing something kinda goopy, like a muk mixed with a slurpuff.

"Mmm." Nate popped a last potato wedge into his mouth and chewed messily. This charmander seemed entirely too interested in making friendly. "Well, it ain't really my scene, but I'll keep it in mind, I guess." He hauled back to his feet, the weight of his pack settling heavy over his shoulders again. As always, what he really wanted after some good grub was a good fucking nap. It didn't seem likely that he'd actually get any shuteye, given--things, but maybe he could at least find somewhere to lie down.

And it had been pretty good grub, too. "Thanks for the food," he said. "Good luck with the, uh, shadow shit. Sounds rough." Looks rough? God, it got confusing when the problem could stick its head up out of its host and glare at you. "See you around, I guess."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Owen nodded and bowed politely. "Be seeing you. If you ever need a quiet place to hide out, maybe we can find some out-of-the-way spots to relax." This training room had been quiet, and Owen decided if he was going to try to take some of Nate's advice to heart, he'd also try some of that isolation, or semi-isolation, too. Owen resolved to text Nate any areas like that if he happened upon them.

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Not long after she sent out her first group messages, Brisa received a direct message from Zane. Not her first choice of companion for the day, but she could use some low-stakes combat to loosen up, so she shot back a reply.

[Brisket > Red Velvet]: Yes. I will be at the colosseum shortly.

She stopped by the Guild to offload her shopping, and then headed directly to the training rooms, wondering what exactly Zane would be expecting. She found a free room not otherwise in use and texted her location to Zane, and began her usual warm-up routine of bludgeoning a training dummy to smithereens.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
[Red Velvet > Brisket: Thanks! I’m in room 4201.]
[Red Velvet > Brisket: Oh, you booked a room? How do I leave this one?]
[Red Velvet > Brisket: Front desk was busy.They’ll figure out the room’s empty eventually. On my way.]

Zane arrived shortly after and somehow looked more unsettled than usual. “Ey, Bris-meister, how hangs it?” he asked with all chalance. “Anyway, training, uh,” he looked at the battered dummy. “Before we get to that, there’s a specific,” synonym, synonym, synonym, perfect, “technique I need some help honing. That all right?”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
'Bris-meister'...? More Zane-isms. Great. Brisa landed a final hit on the dummy, and composed herself.

"It's Brisa. What's this technique you need to work on?"

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
Oh no he had to say it out loud. “Well, I had this talk with Curio, um, you know Curio, right? Blue? Girl? Lucariolu?” Stalling, yes. A good strategy in any conflict. “Well, she mentioned an, uh, a special secret move pokémon can do. Y’know, I didn’t know since I used to be a human, though I don’t remember all that much, just movies, my name, reasons to fear anyone other than myself and trust no one, I think red was my favorite color?”

This was rambling. The stall could only work so long. He couldn’t look at Brisa, but she probably looked very bored already. “So, the pokémon move thing,” he mumbled. “You know anything about, like, friendship?” If he didn’t have fur, he’d be burning redder than his red scars.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Yeah, I know Curio. I live with her."

Gods, that felt weird to say. Good, though. She wasn't sure if Zane even heard her, the way he kept babbling on. What was he getting at?

"Friendship? Friendship. I guess so. I've not exactly had many friends in my time, but I seem to get along with folks here well enough, some of the time. What about it?"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"How do you... do friendship?"

Brisa drew back her lip and cocked her head in confusion. She kept trying to explain Zane's behaviour by cultural differences or a lack of social experience on her own part, but he truly was bizarre.

"I thought you wanted combat training," she muttered, considering walking out and into the colosseum proper for a real fight.

She rubbed the bridge of her nose with a paw. "Okay. Look, I swear to fuckin' thunder I'm not the right gal for teachin' you prosocial behaviour, but I can start by tellin' you do be honest about yer intentions instead of misleadin' folks. How's that fer a start?"

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
Zane scrambled to yank a notebook and pen out of his sack before she’d finished her first sentence. “Be... honest with intentions, got it!” He looked up with a determined gaze, notebook clenched tight and ready to write. “Let the training begin.” He watched Brisa like Steve Irwin would an absolute byoot in the wild, ready and waiting to take any and all necessary notes.

“Subject tense,” he mumbled, writing without taking his eyes off Brisa. “Appears displeased, but unable to communicate its frustration. Will attempt communication.” He lowered his notebook half an inch to give Brisa half his full attention. “Hello, Brisa. I am Zane, and I like being honest about my intentions. How do you feel about honesty?”

The subject watched Brisa carefully. Its notebook seemed sturdy, leather, a stronger material than his bag. Subject seemed prepared for battle, but intent on avoiding it unless absolutely necessary. Perhaps this explained its positioning near the entrance, ensuring escape readiness.

However, our subject did not come as alone as it thought. Near Brisa, but too quiet for the subject to hear, a near identical recreation of its voice began speaking. “Look at the idiot. He tricked you into coming here. You came here to fight, and he’s just sitting there watching you. Studying you like an animal. Why not do what you came here for? Show him what friends do to lying sleezbags and beat the shit out of him.”

The subject remained unaware of the voice, gaze unfaltering. The longer it perceived silence, the more it took note of even Brisa’s slightest movements. “Subject background,” Zane mumbled as he wrote. “Fought with me twice before. Expressed hope in development and willingness to assist. Affinity appeared above average.”

Even still, Zane remained completely oblivious to his shadow’s voice whispering into Brisa’s ear. “Don’t you wanna slit that fucker’s throat? It’s a fake body. A quick trip to Diyem and he’ll be good as new. Death’s a hell of a teaching tool. Teach him how to Bite the Dust.”

Despite it all, Zane couldn’t help a smile. Brisa was still here. She came at all. She really meant it when she said she’d help him out. “Thanks for this,” he said. “I was worried nobody’d want to help me after... everything I’ve done.”

Zane’s shadow returned to his own head, but let kept broadcasting to Brisa. “Yeah, good. Open up to her. Give her every tool she needs to hurt you without raising a paw.”

Zane's smile faltered, nerves took over. He kept speaking, but couldn't muster more than a whisper after the first word. "You... had hope in me." The shadow pulled its claw right through Zane's throat for only Brisa to see.

Last edited:

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Zane's Voice said:
"Studying you like an animal. Why not do what you came here for? Show him what friends do to lying sleezbags and beat the shit out of him."
Brisa froze up as a goddamn Shadow began talking to her. That's what this fuckin' voice was, right? Cause it sure sounded like Zane, though his lips weren't moving. Calling her an animal. Goading her to violence.

She stared, wide-eyed, as Zane continued his utterly bizarre babbling, and the Shadow whispered violent bullshit into her ear. Did it know? Or was it born out of what Zane thought of her?

Did he come here for her to beat the shit out of him?

Zane said:
"I was worried nobody’d want to help me after... everything I’ve done."
“Yeah, good. Open up to her. Give her every tool she needs to hurt you without raising a paw.”
"You... had hope in me."

As the Shadow left her own head and started in on Zane, Brisa snapped out of her paralysis.

"Zane, look at me," she urged. "I ain't gonna lecture you or beat you up or anythin'. So stay calm, alright?"

She fixed her eyes on his Shadow, and her fur sparked off. "You've got one of 'em Shadows on you. I'm goin' to try 'n' help you. Please trust me."

Her eyes glowed as she summoned her Radiant restraints, targeting the counterfeit Zane.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
The shadow dissolved back into Zane in an instant. Ready to die? She's here for fights, not friends.

"Brisa, shadow, what?! Stop!" Zane jumped back and abandoned his notes to throw up his hands in surrender. "All right, sorry! We can fight! Train, whatever!"

His shadow swiftly spoke out. "You think she wants to fight? Look at her. That animal wants you dead."

Zane's shock turned to confusion. The glowing shinx right in front of him seemed to disappear while he looked around the room. A claw reached up to scratch at the back of his head while his searching eyes landed on Brisa. "Wait," he checked his flanks once more before asking, "you can hear that asshole?"

Last edited:

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa growled, her eyes tracking the Shadow as it moved.

"Yes," she hissed. "I can hear it. Give me a clear shot and I'll have the bastard in a flash."

Animal. Animal. Violent animal. See, you're solving a problem with violence even now.

She shuddered. Goddamnit. Restraints weren't the same damn thing.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
The tensity in the air served as a conduit for the crackling electricity. No knife or claw could cut the air. The shadow hid within Zane, radiant annihilation awaiting its next appearance. "Oh thank God," Zane sighed, wiped the sweat off his brow, and fell back. "I thought I was going insane. I figured I was so drunk, I just hallucinated Curio seeing him. He—" Zane's own laughter interrupted him, "—this guy actually hit on Curio!"

Another wave of laughter took over. "Have you seen him? Imagine that short fatass blowing Curio a kiss!"

His shadow didn't appear for fear of Brisa's next attack, and instead spoke without a body. "You know I'm just how you used to look, right?"

Zane waved it off. "Yeah, yeah, whatever," he chided. "You're how I used to look. Check me out now!" Zane hopped to his feet to admire his own physique. "Slim as Jim and red as velvet, baby!" He locked eyes with Brisa and remembered he shared the space with more than his own shadow. A fake cough dislodged the nothing caught in his throat. "So, yeah. It's all good."

His shadow hadn't quite finished, though. "No no no, please, show off more, Red Velvet. I bet Brisa can't wait to throw her paws all over you."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom