• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Destiny Colosseum ~ Training Rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Icetales nodded. “Correct. All our arts are allowed and the entire rapier-is-lost rule stands.” He lifted his haunches and aimed his rapier, before flashing a mischievous smirk. “And the brawl starts… now!”

Then, a thick mist seeped from the Ninetales’s tails, cloaking the entire room in a white veil. He darted through the mist, ears swiveling, and swiped at the Sneasel.

Kate was suddenly enveloped in Icetales' white mist, the Sneasel staring in blank surprise for a moment, before hearing the Ninetales run at her. Kate's eyes shot wide and she tried to roll out of the way, but not before feeling Icetales' rapier strike against her free arm. The Sneasel reflexively blew an Icy Wind back at her attacker, before getting up and shaking some feeling into her arm. Even if it was as dull as she thought it was from the training dummy, the blow had stung enough that had Icetales' strike landed on her other arm, it'd have surely ended their little bout on the spot.

"Heh, so nobility on your world does know how to play to win," she said. "Well, even so, I'm not going to make this easy for you!"

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Icetales felt the Icy Wind graze at his fur, but he wasn’t bothered by it too much — being pelted constantly by a hailstorm made him more resistant to winter gusts.

Despite this, he jumped backward to avoid some potential counter strike and kept running around the place. His chuckle echoed from a spot of the mist… then another… then it came from another place entirely. Running.

“I might be a noblemon, but even I know when to abandon my gallantry,” he said, hidden in the white veil.

Icetales knew that the Mist wouldn’t last, so he sniffed at the air to locate his opponent and channeled a veil of darkness. He sensed a small jolt in his mind, feeling the offensive prowess of a Sneasel coursing through his body, and rushed forward with his claws enveloped in a black smoke — a Foul Play, and a homing rapier.

Spiteful Murkrow

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Icetales felt the Icy Wind graze at his fur, but he wasn’t bothered by it too much — being pelted constantly by a hailstorm made him more resistant to winter gusts.

Despite this, he jumped backward to avoid some potential counter strike and kept running around the place. His chuckle echoed from a spot of the mist… then another… then it came from another place entirely. Running.

“I might be a noblemon, but even I know when to abandon my gallantry,” he said, hidden in the white veil.

Icetales knew that the Mist wouldn’t last, so he sniffed at the air to locate his opponent and channeled a veil of darkness. He sensed a small jolt in his mind, feeling the offensive prowess of a Sneasel coursing through his body, and rushed forward with his claws enveloped in a black smoke — a Foul Play, and a homing rapier.

Kate flared her ears as Icetales bore down on her and threw her rapier up to deflect. The Ninetales' blow came harder than expected, pushing the Sneasel's rapier in towards her body as she fought to hold her grip. Even with her swift feet, Icetales had the advantage with this fencing thing, and it was clearly showing. So if she was going to have any hope of coming out on top of him, she needed to find a way to catch him off guard, and fast.

For a fleeting moment, the two came pressed almost face to face, when the Sneasel cast a quick side-eye at her free paw that after a moment's focus, took on a metallic glint.

"Hey Ninetales, think fast!" she cried, before throwing her free claw forward, aiming to uppercut Icetales with a Metal Claw.

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
The metallic glint didn't go unnoticed to Icetales. However, it was too late to stop his charge -- he had gained too much momentum. So, he decided to take a gamble: he dug his darkness-fueled claws through the floor and reflexively held the blade in front of his face...

Clang!

Metal struck metal, and Icetales winced as the ripples of the strike pervaded his tail and reached his body. He growled as he grasped the handle. Too close, he was too close! So, he did what he could to gain some distance: he Roared at Kate, sending a sonorous shockwave.

Spiteful Murkrow

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
The metallic glint didn't go unnoticed to Icetales. However, it was too late to stop his charge -- he had gained too much momentum. So, he decided to take a gamble: he dug his darkness-fueled claws through the floor and reflexively held the blade in front of his face...

Clang!

Metal struck metal, and Icetales winced as the ripples of the strike pervaded his tail and reached his body. He growled as he grasped the handle. Too close, he was too close! So, he did what he could to gain some distance: he Roared at Kate, sending a sonorous shockwave.

Kate recoiled from the Roar and stumbled back reflexively, losing her footing and pratfalling as her grip on her rapier slipped.

"Ack!"

The Sneasel tried to tighten her grip on her blade but it was too late. The rapier slid out of her hand and clattered onto the ground, leaving the Sneasel to glance at it for a moment, before turning back to Icetales with her ears flattened.

"Well, I was certainly hoping it'd take more than that to slip up, but a loss is a loss," she said. "Kudos for getting the jump on me."

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Over. The match was officially over. It took to Icetales a few seconds to register it, as his adrenaline was still pumping.

But then, the minor tension left his body -- the tails uncoiled, the muscles didn't shudder anymore, his breathing steadied and a minor glint of pride shone in his eyes. He bowed slowly, holding a forepaw over his chest and swaying his sword. A sign of honor.

"I very much appreciate thy compliment, Miss Kate. It truly means plenty to this humble Ninetales," said Icetales earnestly, before standing up completely and showing a bright grin of admiration. "But thou have pulled thy weight splendidly. Golly, it has been ages since someone forced me to think so quickly." He laughed. "Truly marvelous. I cannot be any more grateful for this match. Truly."

He walked toward the dropped rapier and collected it with one of his tails, before walking toward the box to store them. "...Thou have talent. If thou so desire, we could practice this art together some other time." He turned around and his tails wagged. "I could even teach thee some advanced techniques, and thou could be an excellent fighter. Of course, if thou so desire."

Spiteful Murkrow

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Kate dusted herself and got back up, somewhat surprised by the Ninetales' demeanor. Whether or not he was really nobility in his world, he certainly made good on his word of not trying to act the part.

"Heh, well I dunno if I have five years to throw at things, but I'd be down," she replied. "After all, if I got this close to getting the better of you, a little practice might just be what's needed to really give you a run for your-"

Kate's badge abruptly buzzed and shook, cutting her off as she reached for her badge and slid it open, when saw Luz's message flash across the holographic display in her native runes.

[Zest > Team Spectrum]: @EVERYONE HEY Y'ALL GET URSELVES TO THE GUILD AND READY FOR COMBAT RIGHT NOW

[Zest > Team Spectrum]: @EVERYONE THIS AIN'T A DRILL!!!!! 🙀 😾

The Sneasel blinked as the entire message seemed to be curiously bolded with a few of the runes slightly miswritten into typos, but even then the broader message was clear... with one exception.

"... It looks like something's going on at the guild again," she said. "Though what on earth are these cat-faces at the end of the message supposed to mean?"

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
"... It looks like something's going on at the guild again," she said. "Though what on earth are these cat-faces at the end of the message supposed to mean?"

Just as soon as Kate got her message, so did Icetales in his own badge. After fiddling carefully with his digits -- Chip had given him very detailed instructions about how to do that and not send spam (Supremely Poorly Attempted Message?) to others -- he read through the same text and narrowed his eyes.

"Those are... 'emotion-cons', from what I have gathered," said Icetales, rubbing his muzzle with a tail. "Some bizarre custom among locals to project their emotions with... round yellow pictures, apparently." He rolled his eyes. "I much prefer to see the emotions projected on their own physical faces, but digress.

"And the guild is in trouble once more... I sure desire we received some good news, for once. Like an invitation to dinner, or a simple tea party. But no, only troubles." Icetales sighed and withdrew his badge. "Well, no point in complaining -- duty calls."

The Ninetales lifted the box on his back and secured it with his tails, which started radiating frost energy to preserve the temperature. He turned to Kate and motioned toward the door. "Off we go. Our comrades require our assistance."

Spiteful Murkrow

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Just as soon as Kate got her message, so did Icetales in his own badge. After fiddling carefully with his digits -- Chip had given him very detailed instructions about how to do that and not send spam (Supremely Poorly Attempted Message?) to others -- he read through the same text and narrowed his eyes.

"Those are... 'emotion-cons', from what I have gathered," said Icetales, rubbing his muzzle with a tail. "Some bizarre custom among locals to project their emotions with... round yellow pictures, apparently." He rolled his eyes. "I much prefer to see the emotions projected on their own physical faces, but digress.

"And the guild is in trouble once more... I sure desire we received some good news, for once. Like an invitation to dinner, or a simple tea party. But no, only troubles." Icetales sighed and withdrew his badge. "Well, no point in complaining -- duty calls."

The Ninetales lifted the box on his back and secured it with his tails, which started radiating frost energy to preserve the temperature. He turned to Kate and motioned toward the door. "Off we go. Our comrades require our assistance."

"You guys really are a magnet for trouble, huh?" Kate remarked, before giving a shake of her head back and also making her way to the door.

"But I suppose I can't be casting much judgement myself," she said. "Come on, let's see what everyone's gotten themselves into this time."

<><><>

R9 ~ Apocalypse Training

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
After visiting the infirmary to make sure Diyem and Bahamut were doing alright, Owen had taken a trip around town to make sure nobody was completely gone from panic. The initial wave of terror had gone, but the looming threat still left everyone with a sense of dread and unease--understandably so. They were facing down what might have been the end of the world as they knew it.

It was remarkable, then, that complete pandemonium had not arisen. Perhaps the people of Destiny Village had more faith in Arceus and the other Legends than they thought...

Business facilities were functioning at the very minimum. Attendants and workers all had a nervous air about them, making frequent glances skyward--or, in some cases, making a point to never look up. So when Owen asked for a room to train and practice in, no charge was made, and he was allowed through without any sense of registry.

"Don't worry too much," Cal told the attendant. "We've got this." She winked, which for her, was making one of her eye-embers flicker.

Owen headed inside and called for Brisa to come along as well--he half-expected the facilities to not be open, after all, yet they were. Dutiful. "It's weird," Owen admitted. "World's close to ending to some people, and they're still just... doing what they usually do. Maybe it's for coping..."

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
With her brief respite in the study over, but her mind still going a million miles a minute, Brisa needed something productive to do that wouldn't push her further out of sorts. She needed to ground herself with something easy before she had a hope of reassuring others or making hard choices.

Sparring with Owen was perfect for this. He was probably the easiest person on the team fer her to talk to, she liked Wishkeeper and Cal just fine, and the sparring was what got her up in the fucking mornings some days.

"Copin' is all some folks ever do," she said to Owen, drily. "Besides. Doin' different would be like admittin' there's no chance of victory. If we won, and ye'd lost yer shit in the meantime, ye'd feel a fool. If we all die, it doesn't matter either way."

She shook her mane. "I don't mean to be dismal. I don't like our chances, but I'm long done worryin' that we won't win. We got this, same as we had Giovanni, same as we had Darkwhite, same as we had those many gods. We'll win."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Owen nodded. "I think that's how they're taking it, too," he said. "It sort of reminds me of Kyurem, in a weird way. She kind of always thinks that we're all gonna die eventually, so she... goes on with her life as normal." He made a turn, following the usual path to the room he usually reserved. "It's not how I usually look at it, but it's kind of freeing to think about it that way. Still"--He flexed his claws, then swished his tail--"I want to train up. We have no idea what Joule can do, but now that Diyem is with us again, I feel a little stronger, in a way. Maybe I can push my abilities some more..."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa cocked her head. "Y'know, I was only fixin' to get trainin' in fer the sake of routine and groundin' myself, but now that y'mention it, there sure is somethin' different about my shadows since Diyem got free."

She tensed her claws, reminded herself of her own miseries, that she was violent, vicious, that she had a duty.

The darkness around her paws wasn't the same as when she Mauled. It was . . . strangely electric.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Owen tilted his head, letting out a single, curious trill. "That does feel different," he remarked as Wishkeeper emerged from his back. "I've kind of been cycling through my abilities that I knew back home to see if any of those manifested here. Perceive, Bestow, and the whole Grass thing, I had all of that back home, so the fourth thing's gotta be around here somewhere... "He tapped the side of his head.

"You could test it on me," Cal offered to Brisa. "I'm kinda indestructible."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Sure thing," said Brisa, with a grin.

There was something fuelling the shadow, something at once wholly new and yet totally familiar. She dug a little deeper for the feeling... What did it mean that she had a duty? It meant that no matter what, she needed to keep going, try harder, do better. She was capable of power, and therefore she owed it to the defenseless to meet that potential. She had to protect people. She had to put things right, no matter how much it hurt.

If she ended up bruised, broken and bloodied, her body shattered, her mind in agony, if she ended up miserable and lonesome, if she ended up with nothing for herself, nothing, nothing at all, then that was simply the cost and she should pay it.

"I'm gonna lay you th'fuck out," she spat.

Brisa's fur sparked hard into that furious electric burn that drove her to hit so much harder. The shadows crackled, and the sheer force of the charge in her body felt like it was squeezing her goddamn eyeballs. She was burning.

Brisa used Umbral Overcharge!

"This is worth it," she hissed. Then she struck.

Brisa used an overcharged Facade!

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Cal wasn't much of a "fighter" in the traditional sense. She had no concept of self-preservation, no defense, no real way to counter effectively. Her means of attack involved rushing forward and slapping or blasting what power she could head-on. In exchange, however, she was always struck back, and her body spattered in a messy, goopy slop on the ground, where her glowing core rolled around to gather herself up in a wad of darkness.

"That was pretty strong," Owen remarked as Cal reached for her left arm, attaching it to her shoulder. Cal's head, meanwhile, rolled to the core, which was then picked up by the rest of her body. "What... was that? It seemed like you went straight into the weak point..." Owen smiled a little. "You should try that on me next."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"It feels like it's makin' all of me work harder," she said with a grunt of exertion as she contained the power in her muscles, and felt the prickling at her eyes. "It's like I can see the best possible way to land a hit, and pull up the power to do it."

The shadows licked at Brisa's mind and heart and body, and they weren't at all like the ragged grief when she Mauled, but like the weight of an entire planet on her back, and a yearning, desperate and raw. She had to excel, even though she was in pain. Duty over comfort.

"This'll hurt,"
she warned. But that was just it, sparring always hurt, but they needed to train to meet their potential, they had to.

She dashed forward without restraint, and this time she tried something new. Her mane crackled with energy as she summoned a cage of lightning around Owen, and then went in for a vicious, predatory strike while he was trapped.

Brisa used Umbral Overcharge! She overcharged a Thunder Cage!
Brisa used Umbral Overcharge! She overcharged a Shadow Maul!
The attack would deal 1079 damage!

Last edited:

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Owen fought differently.

He didn't 'feel' like that same Charmander from a few months ago, who scrambled and sprinted and panted with every move he made. Who struggled to get his blows out or panicked at any slight alteration. Owen was moving with uncanny grace, taking deft steps left and right, hopping back, his flame crackling being the only sign that he was still in a heart-thumping battle. His pupils were narrow and focused on Brisa, but his arms seemed to move on their own.

Wishkeeper watched from behind, perhaps giving silent advice, but Owen did not need it. He knew Brisa well, and he weaved between and around the incoming Thunder Cage attack. No matter how quick his steps were, however, he wasn't able to properly evade the incoming Maul, and he winced--despite not taking full advantage of being prone, it still felt a lot stronger than usual. Owen waved his hand in front of him like wiping a screen, and Brisa's paw struck an ethereal, golden barrier.

Owen hopped back as the Protect dissipated.

"Wow," he remarked. "That... was amazing! Are, uh, are you feeling alright?" Owen asked, calling out to Brisa.

Cal, meanwhile, finally pieced herself back together, and said, "Wow. Seems like a move that powers up other moves..."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Sure feels better'n when I was usin' shadows before," said Brisa, her voice betraying her exhaustion. "The feelings that come with it make sense. They feel . . . true, and bearable."

She prowled over to Owen, and paced herself, allowing the shadows to dissipate a little.

"Whatever this move is, I can use somethin' else instantly. An' that Facade attack from earlier was definitely electric. Works fer me."

She didn't mention how much it hurt, or how exhausting it was to use.

She cocked her head at Owen and flashed a tired smile. "Say, partner, you reckon y'got somethin' to try out with yer stronger shadows?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"I've been trying to cycle through the powers I know I have, but there's one more I need to try. It's kind of tricky to perform, so... Give me a second."

Owen focused, taking a step back before easing his stance. Wishkeeper watched Owen, then looked at his tail, which started to darken with Shadow flames. Then...

Owen formed a ball of darkness in his hands, one each. He held it forward; within, there was a dim glow of fiery energy. Owen breathed out a small plume of fire, then tried it again, bringing his hands together to form a third ball. He breathed steadily again. "Keep calm..." He closed his eyes. "One more..." And two more balls of darkness formed, then Owen knelt down, breathing heavily. He was exhausted and his Shadows were messing with him.

"Hey, um," Cal said uncomfortably.

"I'm fine," Owen breathed, the five spheres still floating above him. "Just... give me a second..." He was spending the time focusing, it seemed. "That's it... that's my power. I have that back again, too, now, h-ha... my old Trap technique, except within my own Shadows. How about that..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom