• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Dazzling Lake

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
Wes had no idea who the hell had dragged him into that obnoxious group text. All he knew was that suddenly his phone was blowing up with notifications, and he was just about ready to throw the damn thing against the wall when a chilling text came through, informing everyone of an incident in the night.

He decided that maybe it was worth putting up with the texts after that.

A quick breakfast later, he was headed to the forest with Neo and Novo right beside him. Normally the forest would have calmed Wes’ nerves, but after that ominous text message this morning, nothing could purge the jittery anxiety that made itself known in his every movement. He tried his best to put on a good front, but there was no hiding his fear, especially not from Neo. The two brothers stayed extra close to Wes all morning, their presence offering at least a little comfort.

Another attack. Fortunately, this one had been prevented, thank gods…but it sounded like it was more dumb luck than anything. Wes knew he needed to check out the training grounds, but he’d hoped that with an early start, he could pass by the forest on the way first. Maybe…just maybe, the Celebi here was the same one in Orre. And if she recognized him, maybe she’d be willing to help…

But then his mind went to the last time he’d interacted with the mythical Pokémon, and he snorted. Who was he kidding. It would be far better if this wasn’t the same Celebi—

“Spi!”

Neo, who had been trotting just a pace ahead, suddenly stopped in his tracks and pricked his ears to the east.

Wes felt his blood run cold. “What is it?” he hissed quietly. Instinctively, he reached under his coat for his knife—

“Esp.” Neo looked back at Wes and flicked his tail. “Spi-spi.” He pointed with his nose in the direction he’d been facing, then began heading that way.

“What are you—Neo!”

Neo glanced at him over his shoulder. Novo padded up to his brother with a questioning trill, and the two chattered at each other for a moment, their body language alert but not tense...

Wes let out a breath and released his grip on the knife. Apparently whatever Neo was sensing didn’t appear to be dangerous. “Gods, don’t scare me like that,” he huffed. Neo merely responded with a smug trill.

He couldn’t help but grin a little, yet still added, “Don’t be a smartass, either.”

“Sprrr-rrrt.” Neo turned back around and resumed his trail with a cocky spring in his step. Wes snorted.

Brat.

He let Neo lead the way, side-eying every bush and branch warily. His Pokémon seemed relaxed enough, and they would definitely detect danger before he could, but…still. He couldn’t just let himself relax even if he tried.

It wasn’t long before he saw the trees thinning out ahead, followed by the glimmer of…a lake. Right, he’d almost forgotten there was a lake here. And—who was that standing by the water…?

“Espiiii?” Neo sprang from the line of trees and headed straight towards the stranger.

“Neo!” Wes hissed. What the hell, it was like he hadn’t remembered anything about their conversation last night or this morning after that text. Swearing profusely under his breath, he stumbled out from the bushes and tore after the Espeon, catching up to him and diving down to seize him by the scruff. Neo squawked and yowled, but Novo, who has kept pace with Wes, cut him off with a disapproving bark.

Wes lifted Neo up to eye level. “Swear to gods,” he breathed, “if you try that again, I’ll feed you to the kidnapper, got it?”

Neo pouted and lashed his tail. “Sprri-spi-spi, espi-spi—”

Wes didn’t hear the rest of Neo’s tantrum. He suddenly realized there was a shadow looming over the three of them as they sat crouched in the grass. He looked up—right into the alarmed face of the stranger.

Wes froze. Then, after a moment of agonizing silence, choked out a few words.

“Well, shit.”

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
Steven dismissed the first rustle in the bushes as the wind, too lost in his own misery to care much more than that.

However, the second rustle was too loud, too ungainly to ignore. Someone or something was here with him. And he was completely alone.

Steven spun to face the noise, and on reflex his hand went to his belt where Aggron's empty pokeball sat. But the realization that it was indeed empty of any of his teammates sent his heart racing.

Gods he'd been so buried in his own nonsense he'd fucked up again. And to make matters worse, he registered who this intruder actually was. One of the trenchcoat-wearing twins that was involved in the fight on the boat.

Wes lifted Neo up to eye level. “Swear to gods,” he breathed, “if you try that again, I’ll feed you to the kidnapper, got it?”

Neo pouted and lashed his tail. “Sprri-spi-spi, espi-spi—”
And what he said to his own pokemon--? What kind of person was this? Probably the kind of person to go after an unarmed trainer...

Steven backed away slowly as far as he could, his eyes wide with shock and fear. The lake was behind him, the crazed trainer front of him... His heart raced in his ears. He was trapped. And it was his own fault. Again.

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
Steven backed away slowly as far as he could, his eyes wide with shock and fear. The lake was behind him, the crazed trainer front of him... His heart raced in his ears. He was trapped. And it was his own fault. Again.
Wes hastily released his hold on Neo and stood, raising his hands in a submissive gesture. “Look, it’s fine, I’m not—we’re fine, it’s not what it looks like.”

Gods, what a first impression.

He huffed and shoved his hands in his pockets. “Sorry. Didn’t mean to freak you out. Just here because my Espeon thought he sensed someth—”

He stopped short when he saw Neo walk up to the stranger, sniffing curiously, and brushed up against his leg with a concerned mew. Novo hovered at Wes’ side, hesitantly glancing between the two trainers.

Wes sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. Of course. Of course Neo had just detected some random person and decided to make friends for no gods-damned reason…no, wait. Neo was circling around the man’s legs, chirping softly and looking up at him with wide eyes. This wasn’t his usual friendly greeting, this was…a response to emotional distress.

Wes frowned at the man and took a closer look at him. He was…wearing a hell of an outfit, though Wes supposed he wasn’t really one to judge. Still, there was something to be said about the choice to wear a suit and dress shoes out to a lake…a rather wrinkled suit, no less. His hair was also disheveled, and there was no mistaking those bags under his eyes.

Awesome. Great. Another person with baggage. Not that Wes could blame him, exactly—this whole island ordeal was enough to run anyone ragged—but he wasn’t here to be anybody’s therapist. He had enough on his mind already.

“Looks like we interrupted…something. I’ll just—we will go on get out of your hair—”

Neo shot him a withering glare and barked. Novo shifted uncomfortably and looked up at him imploringly.

Oh, gods. Fine. Fine. Whatever. This wasn’t the first time his Pokémon decided to be a pair of goody-two-shoes, and it sure as hell wouldn’t be the last. Gods-dammit.

“Right, okay. My Espeon thinks you’re really upset and for whatever reason he wants me to do something about it, but frankly I don’t know you or what your deal is, so…there you have it. I guess.”

Please just tell us to go away and we’ll be on our way.

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
Wes hastily released his hold on Neo and stood, raising his hands in a submissive gesture. “Look, it’s fine, I’m not—we’re fine, it’s not what it looks like.”
neutral straight ahead.png
Steven watched, still on edge, as the trenchcoat trainer stood and stammered his way through an explanation. He certainly wasn't behaving like a threat, and now at his full height, Steven recognized him as the trainer from the lounge the previous morning-- the less aggressive of the two identical trainers with the Espeon and Umbreon.

He still didn't know what to say, though, and kept his guarded silence until...

He huffed and shoved his hands in his pockets. “Sorry. Didn’t mean to freak you out. Just here because my Espeon thought he sensed someth—”

He stopped short when he saw Neo walk up to the stranger, sniffing curiously, and brushed up against his leg with a concerned mew.
The Espeon came up to him and began to weave between his feet, being very vocal about something.

Steven relaxed a little more; neither of the eons seemed hostile, but he still felt rather naked without a pokemon of his own.

"Hello there," he offered, giving a weak smile to the Espeon that nuzzled against his leg. A small part of him wanted to reach down and give him a scratch between the ears, but he held back.

“Looks like we interrupted…something. I’ll just—we will go on get out of your hair—”

Neo shot him a withering glare and barked. Novo shifted uncomfortably and looked up at him imploringly.
worried.png
Steven flinched at the Espeon's bark. Gods his nerves were so frazzled. "...No, it's fine," he said quietly.

He could feel the other trainer's gaze combing over him, judging him. He pressed his hands flat against the sides of his legs. No fidgeting in public, Steven. "There's nothing important going on here."

“Right, okay. My Espeon thinks you’re really upset and for whatever reason he wants me to do something about it, but frankly I don’t know you or what your deal is, so…there you have it. I guess.”
eyes closed pensive.png
Steven tensed and glanced off to the side. Ah, so it had been that obvious, especially for a psychic type like Espeon. Metagross was much the same way. If his starter could see him now...

worried.png
"Your Espeon is very perceptive," he began slowly, glancing back down at the eon's upturned face. More of that pity he so desperately tried to run from.

He didn't know why he continued. Maybe it was easier to talk when a pokemon was the one who was concerned. "I'm... My name is Steven. You may have heard something about me this morning. I'm afraid it's been weighing on my mind especially badly today."

If only they knew the half of it.

Last edited:

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
Steven flinched at the Espeon's bark. Gods his nerves were so frazzled. "...No, it's fine," he said quietly.

He could feel the other trainer's gaze combing over him, judging him. He pressed his hands flat against the sides of his legs. No fidgeting in public, Steven. "There's nothing important going on here."
Sure, if you say so. Wes was content to leave it at that, but he knew that wouldn’t be good enough for Neo, so he simply raised an eyebrow and folded his arms. Fortunately, he didn’t have to pry for the guy to open up further.
He didn't know why he continued. Maybe it was easier to talk when a pokemon was the one who was concerned. "I'm... My name is Steven. You may have heard something about me this morning. I'm afraid it's been weighing on my mind especially badly today."
…oh. He was that guy. So he had…spoken personally with Latias and Latios? How? Why? And why would they single him out and nobody else? It seemed a bit random, and yet…

“You were there, weren’t you.” He watched Steven intently for his reaction. “You saw what happened last night. Am I right or am I wrong?”

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
“You were there, weren’t you.” He watched Steven intently for his reaction. “You saw what happened last night. Am I right or am I wrong?”
Steven was still watching the Espeon at his feet when the trenchcoat trainer spoke. His voice dripped with accusation, and Steven froze. He hoped neither of them noticed the way he went stiff as a board, or the way his fingers twitched toward his rings. Slowly, he slid his hands out of sight and took a deep breath.

He was just overreacting, this wasn't an interrogation. This was a normal inquiry based on what he had told the man. It made sense. Everyone would have known since he told Hazel to spread the news.

neutral look down.png
"Yes," he said carefully. "As Hazel shared with the group, I was there that night. I told her what I saw this morning."

Behind his back, his knuckles were turning white. "We all needed to know, for safety."

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
Well, damn, the guy was so tense Wes was convinced he’d snap in half like a piece of chalk. Was it because he was shaken up from last night, or because…he was afraid of Wes?

He huffed and raised his hands yet again. “Look, I know I probably look shady as hell to a dandy like you, but I’m not here to murder anybody. Promise. Though if you’re looking for more excitement, you can probably hit up the edgy beanpole guy dressed in black. I’m sure he’d love an excuse to stab somebody.”

Well, there was also the fact that said edgy beanpole was actually an alternate version of himself, but. He could leave that part out for now.

Wes took another look at the guy—Steven, he’d said? Only one Pokéball on his belt, and despite the disheveled state of his clothes, they appeared to be high quality. At least, as far as Wes could tell, anyway.

He almost snorted. Figures. No wonder he was so shaken up. He’d probably never seen a single frightening thing in his life beyond maybe a grumpy Poochyena.

And yet…for all his twitchy nervousness, he was out here. All alone. Sure, he had a Pokémon with him, but the mon wasn’t even out. Something wasn’t quite adding up.

“Well, it was definitely important information to share, so I’m glad you shared it,” Wes said carefully. “But if you’re the one encouraging everyone to travel in groups, why are you out here on your own?”

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
He huffed and raised his hands yet again. “Look, I know I probably look shady as hell to a dandy like you, but I’m not here to murder anybody. Promise. Though if you’re looking for more excitement, you can probably hit up the edgy beanpole guy dressed in black. I’m sure he’d love an excuse to stab somebody.”
Steven blinked, taken by surprise. What? "I'm not--"

A dandy? Looking for excitement? Thinking you were going to stab me? Wanting to get stabbed by the other trainer in a shady trenchcoat?

Steven didn't know what he was going to say, so he let it hang in the air as he felt the trainer's scrutinizing glare sweep over him again. The way his eyes narrowed at him, it was clear the trainer didn't know who he was. A small relief in the face of everything. But the sensation of danger still tingled down the back of Steven's neck. Maybe this was an interrogation...

“Well, it was definitely important information to share, so I’m glad you shared it,” Wes said carefully. “But if you’re the one encouraging everyone to travel in groups, why are you out here on your own?”
worried.png
"That's--"

He was at a loss for words again, because of course he stood out like a sore thumb without his partner by his side, and he was the reason everyone suddenly was so zeroed in on trainers who traveled alone.

"...That's what Mr. Montorzi suggested after--" he faltered for a moment. "After last night."

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
"...That's what Mr. Montorzi suggested after--" he faltered for a moment. "After last night."
There it was. An inconsistency. Proof that he wasn’t quite sharing everything he knew.

“Is that so?” Wes folded his arms once again and fixed Steven with a burning stare. “Funny, I seem to remember that text advising us not to mention this to any of the staff at all.” His tone sharpened. “Unless you have talked to the staff behind all of our backs? Wouldn’t happen to be plotting anything, would y—OW!”

He cut short with a yelp when he felt Novo’s teeth snap at his ankle. The Umbreon glared up at him with a defiant growl.

“What the hell, I’m not allowed to be a little suspicious?” Wes snapped. He went to crouch to Novo’s level—

Searing hot pain suddenly flashed up his side, bringing him abruptly to his knees. “Shit—” Wes hissed through clenched teeth and clutched at his side. He’d completely forgotten about his still-healing injury in his little skirmish with Neo…

“Briiiii?” Novo’s face dominated Wes’ view as he leaned in close, eyes wide, all hostility gone. Wes rubbed his ear with a small wince.

“S’fine, Nov, it’s not anything you did…it’s fine. I’m fine.”

Neo chirped and took a step forward from where he still stood at Steven’s side—right. Steven. He was still here. Probably thinking Wes was crazier than ever. Wes shakily muttered another curse under his breath. Gods, why were they here? What could he possibly do for this guy when he couldn’t even keep himself together for five damn minutes?

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
“Is that so?” Wes folded his arms once again and fixed Steven with a burning stare. “Funny, I seem to remember that text advising us not to mention this to any of the staff at all.” His tone sharpened. “Unless you have talked to the staff behind all of our backs? Wouldn’t happen to be plotting anything, would y—OW!”
From the trainer's first words, a spike of panic sliced through Steven's fatigue. He was being interrogated. This trainer was trying to pry information out of him. But why? They were on the Trousselin together. He couldn't be one of the culprits--

worried.png
"No! I haven't told any of the staff. We don't know who to trust--"

The conversation Steven had with Irene flashed suddenly through his mind.

"I've had my eye on you ever since I got here."

Steven's eyes went wide. Oh gods. No wonder why this trainer was so insistent on telling him he meant no harm. No wonder he appeared from out of nowhere with a 'concerned' Espeon. No wonder he was quick to point out Steven was alone.

Oh gods he fucked up again. He had to leave. Now.

angry straight ahead.png
His hand closed around Aggron's empty pokeball. Maybe enough of a bluff to buy him time to run...

Searing hot pain suddenly flashed up his side, bringing him abruptly to his knees. “Shit—” Wes hissed through clenched teeth and clutched at his side. He’d completely forgotten about his still-healing injury in his little skirmish with Neo…
shocked.png
When suddenly the trainer dropped to the ground, grabbing his side. Was the man injured? What had happened? Did he try to corner someone else and they fought back?

But as he stood there, shocked, the Espeon at his feet moved, heading back toward his trainer with a noise of concern, no longer paying attention to him... This was his chance.

"We're done here," Steven grated out, before deftly stepping past the Espeon and making haste for the treeline. He was barely into the woods when he broke into a run, hand still clamped tight to Aggron's ball. He didn't know where to go, but he needed to be anywhere but here.

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
Neo’s yowl startled Wes out of his thoughts. He looked up just in time to see Steven disappear into the woods, then lower his head with a groan.

“Dammit. Dammit. I’m such an idiot.”

“Spiiii!” Wes didn’t need to raise his head to know Neo was tearing after the guy with a distressed yowl.

“Neo, don’t—!”

Too late. He was already gone.

Wes clenched a fistful of grass and spat out a few choice words before dragging himself back up, ignoring the pain gnawing at his side. It was fading to dull pulses now, but he still staggered a bit as he pursued Neo.

“Novo, keep the trail. I’ll be close behind, don’t worry.”

Novo bounded ahead with a bark and disappeared into the underbrush while Wes stumbled after him, furiously wondering if there was such a thing as a leash for a psychic mon.

<<<<<<>>>>>>>

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
This definitely wasn't a date. This was just two 'mon, a Sylveon who happened to very pretty and an Umbreon, taking a stroll - no, investigating for clues - at the lake. The very beautiful lake. Together. Alone.

Anyways! Time to look at- look for clues.

[[Enora and Novo used Aura Reader!]]

@HelloYellow17 @Sinderella

<><><>

Hm. There didn't seem to be signs of anything strange. They scoured all around the lake, careful to be thorough. And then, a few yards from the lake shore, something. Wisps, barely traceable. Psychic energy again. Something had been through here, briefly. Earlier in the day, perhaps yesterday too? Spying, perhaps? But nothing else unusual.

As the two pokemon prepared to leave, Novo sensed something else. A psychic presence-! His fur stood on end for second, before he recognized it, along with a telltale shimmer in the air above the lake. It was Latios, watching over them.

Satisfied, they returned to their trainers. Even if they hadn't discovered something huge, at least Novo and Enora had gotten to spend time with each other. Er, look for clues. And confirm that whatever was here was spying on trainers around the island...

At least their guardian Latios was watching over them as well.

[D7] Horse Fight (Nate, Jade, Mightyena, and Nine)

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
With nothing immediately pressing to do, Nate headed out of the cafe, determined to get some actual peace and quiet this time. Not that he minded, actually, that the other two had shown up. But he needed time to think, goddamn it, especially since that conversation had been another huge information dump.

Which meant he probably should have taken it easier on the espresso. The pounding headache wasn't doing him any favors, and he was feeling a lot more scattered than focused, but at least he was very much fucking awake, and goddammit, he was done with feeling tired. He'd been tired when he got here, he'd been tired for fucking weeks before that, and then of course some evil fuck had decided to to steal what little energy he had left. Nate was fucking done.

He also wasn't getting very far with his nerves shot to hell and with Mightyena doggedly trotting by his side, very obviously flagging for all that she tried to put on a brave face. Where could they go to get a bit of peace and quiet that was close?

The lake. It wasn't exactly isolated, but there was plenty of room for people to spread out, so Nate could find a secluded spot even if a bunch of fuckers decided they wanted to go swimming. Mightyena's ears perked up at the sight of the calm, sparkling water, but when Nate asked her if she wanted to wade in a bit, she turned aside with a gruff negative. Nate watched sadly as she found a spot under some overhanging trees and threw herself down in the shade. Nate joined her a moment later, running his fingers through her fur and looking out over the water.

There was probably supposed to be some legendary or other out there, right? Apparently they'd started helping out, saving people from the kidnapper and shit. Nate wasn't exactly keen on meeting another after the whole Manaphy fiasco, but it was pretty goddamn clear that he could use some protection right about now.

The legendaries were only supposed to appear to pure-hearted trainers, right? Nate snorted. Well, he was going to be waiting for one hell of a long time for one to show its face around him, then, wasn't he?

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
As Jade made her way down the trail that led to the lake, she was distinctly aware of Nine's gaze on the back of her head as he reluctantly followed behind.

"*We should be investigating the Hoopa,*" the Pikachu said tersely. "*You heard what Shaymin said.*"

Jade let out a deep sigh. "I know, I know. But everyone already agreed that no one should go there until tonight. And it's not even like we're the stealthiest ones here. I mean, Spirit can literally go through walls." She glanced over her shoulder to see Nine give a look of grudging acceptance.

The two continued down the path until the glimmering waters of the lake were in view. Nine scanned the area, ears tracking in all directions. "*Are you looking for something here?*"

"Well, I was hoping that we could get another Legendary on board with helping us. Since Shaymin was willing to." Jade pulled out her phone and scrolled through some messages. "It seems like people have already managed to meet up with a lot of the legends here. But there's a few that are still keeping out of view. Keldeo, Heatran, and Meloetta, for starters."

Nine furrowed his brow. "*I don't know any of those.*"

"I don't know much about them either," Jade admitted. "But Keldeo's supposed to be hanging around here. All I could find about them is that they're referred to as a swordsman. Maybe they'll want a battle. I figure we'd have our best shot at fighting a water-type, you know?"

The briefest glimmer of a smile crossed Nine's face--it was gone in an instant, but not before Jade spotted it.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
For a while, things were peaceful down by the lake. At least theoretically. Nate drummed his fingers on his leg and squinted against the too-bright glitters coming off the water. He really should have taken it easier on the caffeine.

Meanwhile Mightyena dozed, or at least he thought she did. She was the one who caught his attention with a soft bark, when he'd been

"What?" She was staring towards the water's edge. Ah, yeah. Some trainer hanging out around the lake, looking for something. One of the mythicals? Seemed likely. Wasn't a whole lot out here to see otherwise.

Mightyena whuffed at him again. "What?" She was still looking at the trainer. Oh. "You want me to go over there, don't you?" Mightyena's tail beat in the dirt a couple of times. "So go over there yourself if you're so keen to make friends."

Mightyena put her head on her paws and whined. "You can totally walk that far," Nate said, but a hint of uncertainty colored his voice. Mightyena whined again. "Oh, you--I know you're doing this on purpose."

He recalled Mightyena and pushed himself to his feet. Scowling, he sized up the trainer she'd been so keen on. A kid, he guessed, with a kind of spiky-looking pikachu. Nate was sure he'd seen her around once or twice, but since he didn't make a habit of bothering people for no fucking reason, it wasn't like they'd talked.

So what the hell was he supposed to do now, huh? Go over and say hi? He'd already had way too much conversation today, as far as he was concerned. He glared down at his pokéball, then reluctantly made his way over to the trainer.

"Hey. Uh, you looking for the legend that's supposed to live around here?" Nate asked. He released Mightyena next to him so she could do whatever it was she wanted to do and wasn't willing to walk like a hundred yards for.

Mightyena stretched a moment, then trotted over to the pikachu, a bit stiffly. "You smell like a bird," she said, her tail giving a faint wag.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Jade turned at the sound of a voice and a Pokeball being opened. Oh, it was him, the guy who'd been taken, and then reappeared days later. (She was pretty sure Odette had said his name was Mitch...?) He was accompanied by a very friendly-looking Mightyena, who was now wagging her tail and sniffing at Nine.

"Yeah, I guess you'd be able to notice that right away," Jade said with a slight laugh.

Nine straightened. "*I am part bird. That's why I look like this. And it's why I'm strong.*"

Jade rolled her eyes. Of course he had to make sure everyone knew he could measure up to the other Pokemon here.

Then realized she should probably respond to Mitch. He... sort of looked like death. Like he hadn't slept in a week. And he probably wouldn't want to be asked about what he'd been through. So she wouldn't ask about that, even if she was dying to know.

"Yeah, I don't know if you heard, but we managed to get Shaymin's help, so I was just... hoping I could find another legend to help us," she said, all-too aware of how earnest she probably sounded.

I just want to be useful...

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Nate's eyebrows rose slightly when the girl reacted immediately to something Mightyena had said. Another person who could talk to pokémon? It was starting to feel like he was the only person who fucking couldn't. Which, yeah, that would track, wouldn't it?

He wavered on the edge of saying something about it--wasn't like the Ninetales kid was going to let him get in shouting range after whatever he'd said that had given her a heart attack or whatever the fuck. But maybe... business first. In case he somehow managed to completely fuck up this conversation, too.

Nate rubbed his face and tried to think. Shaymin? Yeah, Nate he might have heard something about that. In amidst the other three tons of bullshit that had apparently gone on in the past few days. "Yeah. And I guess some legendaries saved a couple people too, right? We could definitely use some more firepower on our side. But"--he spread his hands--"I don't know jack shit about legendary pokémon. Especially not how to make one show up where you want it. Do you?"

How had that other kid managed it? They'd all kind of just... shown up on the beach, and the kid had stood by the water with his pokémon, and then Manaphy had decided to say hi. Well, here they were, standing beside the fucking water...

"Oh, is that why?" Mightyena said, and her wag was stronger this time. "Did you beat the bird up and take its powers? Is that what happened?"

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Jade suppressed a snort at Mightyena's question. "That's... not quite."

"*Someone else stole its powers and gave them to me when I was born,*" Nine replied matter-of-factly.

That... actually wasn't a bad way to put it.

Mitch seemed on board with the idea of getting more Legendary help, and Jade nodded fervently. "Yeah yeah, Latios and Latias have rescued some people, and Shaymin gave Aggron a healing flower, so it seemed like a good idea." She paused, rubbing the back of her head. "I, uh... don't know much about most legends, besides the ones that get honored in Kanto. Not any of the ones here, anyway. But the one that's supposed to appear by the lake sounded more... fighty than the others. So I thought maybe it would respond to a challenge?"

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Kanto, huh? After all the Hoenn types knocking around, Nate was a little surprised to find someone else from his home region hanging out here. "Right, yeah. Bunch of weird ones on the list. I don't have the first fucking clue what a Marshmallowed is or nothing."

He took another look out at the lake's calm waters. Nate still didn't remember what was supposed to be living here... something fighty? But not something with the guts to show itself, apparently. Nate stared down at the lakebed. Sure was pretty. Probably full of leeches.

Leeches and whatever fucking pokémon was hiding out, waiting for someone pure of heart or whatever bullshit to wander by before it would do a fucking thing. People disappearing all over the goddamn place and it was just chilling in its sweet pond, enjoying the sunsets or whatever the fuck. Couldn't be all that fucking fighty, could it?

"Hey! You!" he yelled out over the water. "Are you gonna to sit around in your fucking lake all day, or are you actually gonna do something about all this kidnapping bullshit? What, too pussy to show your face when things get hot?"

Worth a shot.

[[ @Flyg0n ]]

Mightyena tilted her head, trying to make sense of the bird-pikachu's words. So he hadn't been born this way, and he hadn't won it, either. She was familiar, at least, with people stealing power from something else, though they usually kept it to themselves.

That thought was almost melancholy. Not important, anyway. Much more important--"So what powers do you have, then? Can you fly? You have very nice feath--"

She'd almost forgotten about Nate. She must really be tired. "Nate!" she barked reproachfully. If a pokémon actually showed up because of that, what was he expecting to do? Fight it himself?

...he was going to fight it himself, wasn't he.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Nine shook his head, but he seemed pleased by the compliment. "*I can't fly. Most of my teammates can, though.*" He paused, as though contemplating what it would be like to fly by his own power. "*My power is my lightning. It's--*"

Jade flinched as Mitch shouted a challenge to the legend of the lake. Part of her wanted to say that they were trying to get on its good side, but... if this actually got it to show up, there'd be time for apologies afterward. Hopefully.

---

Nine looked up at Mitch, incredulous... but also a bit impressed. The human couldn't fight a legend, of course, but even being willing to face one was a feat.

"*We came here to prove ourselves!*" Nine called out to the opponent they could not see, who might not even be there. His tail stood bolt upright, and he called a string of lightning down, striking the earth on the other end of the shore. Jade jerked her head toward him in alarm, which was somewhat satisfying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom