• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Day of Heroes

Day of Heroes

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
A celebration of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. This series means so much to me, and I wanted to celebrate all four main games in it with this fic. I hope you’ll enjoy.

Special thanks to Spiteful Murkrow for beta reading this, to Syd for helping me write selective mutism more accurately, and to Sudmensch, Nikki, Phoenix, Gravemind, and the Thousand Roads community for supporting me.

Day of Heroes

Team Seedlings Base, 2019

It was the first Day of Heroes since the World-Savers' Council had formed, and they were all celebrating it together, just outside the base of their eldest members on the Air Continent.

The Day of Heroes was a holiday dedicated to honoring the heroes of the world. It first started as simply a celebration of Team Seedlings after they saved the world from a falling star, but as the years went on, and the world was saved more times by more heroes, the holiday spread, becoming a celebration of all who have saved the world.

The base and mailbox, both designed after a Squirtle, still retained their look, even with the Squirtle they had been designed after being a Wartortle now. The flag, too, still bore the insignia of a shell, a leaf, and an Absol's horn. And the tunnel to the Pelipper Post Office was still maintained, even so many years after a Diglett had dug it.

It was local custom here on the Air Continent to stargaze a bit during the Day of Heroes. To look up at the night sky, scouting it for shooting stars like the one that nearly ended the world. To show vigilance like the continent's heroes.

Except, for the Empoleon sitting beside her Sceptile teammate, that vigilance was for the sake of their own amusement that night. She pointed a flipper up at a light darting across the sky with an awed cheer.

"I think I see one, Apoyime!" she exclaimed. "Quick! Look before it vanishes!"

Her Sceptile teammate nodded, watching the shooting star fizzle away as he replied, "Good eye, there, Pahelia." Even if two had made names for themselves almost twenty-five years ago on the Grass Continent, it was hard to believe at times that those two had saved the world from time itself coming to a stop.

A nearby Chikorita gazed up at the stars in wonder, remembering a time two years ago when they and their Torchic partner were up there, climbing the Tree of Life to try to put a stop to Dark Matter's rampage. Draping their leaf over said partner, they asked, "Spot any cool constellations, Ayueg?"

Ayueg, having evolved into a Combusken during the past two years, put an arm-wing on his partner's back, and said, "I can see the Branches of Life."

A short distance away, a Wartortle chuckled, and said, "You know, Acacia, I guess the cause of the disasters really was in space!"

His Meganium partner sighed, shaking his petals. It had been just over thirty years since the two of them saved the world from a falling star, and still she wouldn't let up with the jokes. "Lidequir, is now really the time?"

Next to them, a Servine adjusted the green reunion cape he wore, nervously fidgeting with his tail. Turning to his Dewott partner, he asked, "Is it fitting right, Gen?"

The Dewott looked over at his partner, smiled, and said, "Yeah, still fits you just as well as before, Vernir!" Three years since the two of them saved the world from succumbing to the Bittercold's desperation, and Vernir had only evolved into a Servine last week. It was quite the adjustment for them both, but they were managing well.

"Thanks!" Vernir replied, and slowed his fidgeting.

"So, uh, what are we going to do?" Gen asked, taking his eyes off his partner. "So many Pokemon across the word are honoring us today, but it feels a bit weird to just stargaze during all this."

Apoyime didn't blame the Dewott. It had only been three years since he arrived here, and the youngest of them all at thirteen years old. He was still adjusting to this world's culture and traditions.

Acacia, however, was worried for Vernir. The Servine seemed nervous about celebrating with such important figures, even if he was just as important. He wondered how to help the younger four heroes in their group feel welcome, before an idea came to him. He tilted his petals up, and gave a knowing smile down at the younger heroes in their gathering.

"Well…perhaps we can honor each other?" the Meganium suggested. "No shame in that."

"Sounds great!" Leviene said, wagging their tail.

"Yeah, that sounds good!" Vernir added.

The others murmured in agreement, before Ayueg blinked, coming to a realization.

"Who should start?" he asked, looking around the group.

Lidequir stretched her arms, stepping forward towards the center of the gathering.

"I'll begin," Lidequir said. "Don't worry, I won't make too much of a joke of things."

Acacia and Apoyime frowned a bit at that, though the former's frown disappeared as Lidequir looked at him.

"From the moment I woke up in this world, Acacia was by my side. Despite me having nothing to my name besides my name and former species, he taught me how to be a Pokemon, gave me a home, and started a rescue team with me," the Wartortle said. "He stuck by my side no matter what, despite my jokes, and despite the accusations towards me. All the way from Tiny Woods, to the peak of Sky Tower, he was there for me."

A wistful look appeared on Lidequir's face, before she began to smirk.

"All in all, I'm extremely grateful to have Acacia as my partner," Lidequir said. "Even if he doesn't get my amazing sense of humor."

Acacia groaned, but there was a smile on his snout. The Wartortle chuckled, wagging her tail.

"To you, Acacia, who was there for me 'til our journey's end."

She then stepped back, as the other members of the council stayed in solemn silence.

"So? Who's next?"

Apoyime nodded, shaking a bit before he grabbed a pencil and paper from his bag and stepped forth.

"Pa…Pahe…" he began, before sighing, looking frustrated. He looked down at the paper in his claws.

He would much prefer to sign this out, but many of the other members of the World-Savers' Council (or WSC, as he liked to refer to it as) were still learning sign language, so a written response it was.

He scrawled down his thoughts and feelings in footprint runes, before giving it to Acacia, and making a circling gesture. Acacia nodded, reading the paper, before passing it to Lidequir, who read it and passed it to Gen. It circled around the group, before ending up in Pahelia's flippers. Her eyes widened, and she began to read it aloud.

"Pahelia was the reason why I didn't let the tide wash me back out to sea when I first woke up on the Treasure Town beach. Seeing Team Skull run off with her relic fragment after she helped me up…it ignited a passion in me to help those in need. She's patient with me, and helps translate to others for me, never pressuring me to speak when I couldn't. To Pahelia, who helped me feel like I was welcome in the world."

He stepped back, then nodded towards Gen. The Dewott's eyes widened a bit, before he took a deep breath, and stepped forward.

"Uh, guess I'm going next," Gen said, as he looked over at his Servine partner.

"Vernir was a lot more understanding than I'd expect for someone who watched an Oshawott fall out of the sky, even if he was in a bit of a hurry when we first met," the Dewott began. "He was the first friend I made here, and helped give me the ability to come back."

Gen paused, reminiscing a bit about how Vernir summoned him back to this world, allowing him to finally reunite.

"He was the one who accompanied me to Mount Kilionea, and he was the one who battled Kyurem alongside me," he said. "And during the battle with the Bittercold, his encouragement helped me not lose hope, even when things seemed impossible."

Gen smiled at his Servine best friend, and said, "To you, Vernir, who's the reason I'm able to be here with you all."

He stepped back, and turned towards the Combusken in the group. "Um, Ayueg? Wanna go next?"

"Sure."

Ayueg stepped forth, preening a few of his feathers as he walked.

"You know...I wasn't really the one who saved the world during the Desperation Crisis. It was Leviene," the Combusken began. "All throughout our journey, they were the one guiding me. I was only there to support them."

He looked over at Leviene.

"They were the true hero of the Stone Crisis. They were the one who had the harmony scarves, they were the one who wanted to go to Lively Town," the Combusken said. "They were the one who dealt the final blow to Dark Matter, and they were the one to finally put it to rest for good."

As he noticed the tears streaming down the Chikorita's face, he tried to give them a look of reassurance, and started to step back towards their side.

"To you, Leviene, my beloved partner, and the best hero I could ever ask for."

Apoyime signed, "This is lovely!" as he leaned against Pahelia's side.

The Empoleon repeated it aloud for him, saying, "Apoyime says this is lovely! I agree!"

"Yeah, been wanting to tell you all how amazing Leviene is," Ayueg added. "Great idea, Acacia!"

Lidequir smiled. "Guess we all went with our Pokemon partners!"

Gen tugged at his neck fur, trembling a bit. "Yeah, guess we did," he said. "Uh, should the others go now, or…?"

"Can we do it next year? I'm getting tired…" Leviene said, leaf drooping a bit.

Vernir looked over at Gen, his tail also drooping. He was looking forward to talking about the Dewott, but he could wait if need be.

Acacia ruffled his petals. He wouldn't admit it, but with how late it was, he was getting pretty tired, too, even if he wanted to gush about Lidequir until the sun came back up.

"I'm alright with that if everyone else is," the Meganium said. "Next year, we'll do this again, and honor our human partners?"

"Sure! I have lots to say about Ayueg once I'm not tired!" Leviene said with a wag of their tail.

"Same about Gen," Vernir added, putting a vine on the Dewott's shoulder. "He's the best!"

Gen squeaked, and his tail wagged.

"That sounds good! I have lots to say about my partner, too!" Pahelia said. "Thanks for inviting us all here, Acacia!"

"Not a problem!" Acacia said, fluttering his petals.

"We should probably get going soon." Vernir said, standing up.

Just then, the flapping of large insect wings could be heard. Apoyime turned to look towards the source, seeing a Butterfree that flew into the clearing.

The Butterfree looked around at the group. "Oh, am I interrupting something?"

"We were just about to pack up, but hi!" Gen said, waving at the bug-type. "What brings you here?"

"I just wanted to say thank you to Lidequir and Acacia!" the Butterfree said, flying over to the pair. "It's me, Caterpie! Or, well, I'm Butterfree now!"

"Hello there!" Acacia said, bowing his head a little. "It's nice to see you again."

"Um…I just wanted to say thank you! For rescuing me way back then, and for saving the world! You're my heroes!" Butterfree said, flapping their wings rapidly.

"It's no problem! Always happy to help Pokemon in need, from the minute I arrived here," Lidequir said, bowing as well.. "Thank you, too, for believing in us."

"You're welcome! Ok, see ya!" Butterfree said, flying away.

"Seems like a nice Pokemon. Your first rescue, I heard?" Ayueg asked, watching Butterfree go.

"Yepperdoodles! Went to rescue them not even five minutes after I woke up here!" Lidequir said, looking wistful.

"Sounds cool. Didn't get a chance to do anything like that for a week after I arrived, mostly just school and running for my life," Ayueg said, shaking his head.

"Well, we're all heroes here," Acacia said, trotting towards the Combusken. "We've all saved the world. Doesn't matter when we started helping other Pokemon, we've all made it here."

"Yeah, you're right. Thanks," Ayueg said, seeming less tense as he stood up. "Come on, Leviene, we should go."

"Hey, wait!" Lidequir called. "Before you all go…"

She took out a book from her bag, titled, Jokes for the Traveling Rescuer, and Acacia's antennae drooped.

"I said that I wouldn't make things too much of a joke," the Wartortle said. "I think there's still some room for some light humor!"

"Ooooh, I love jokes!" Leviene said, trotting towards Lidequir.

"You don't want to hear her jokes, trust me," Pahelia warned, already cringing.

"They can't be that bad, can they?" Gen asked. "Right?"

"Oh no…" the Meganium said, bracing himself for the onslaught.

Sharpedo Bluff, 2020

It had been a year since Lidequir tormented the rest of the World-Savers' Council with Jokes for the Traveling Rescuer, and it was the Day of Heroes once again. This year, the Council was celebrating at Sharpedo Bluff, where Team Sunset had their base.

The bluff featured a cave that resembled the mouth of a Sharpedo, giving the bluff its name. The cavern floor and lower teeth, which formed a natural railing, were decorated with flowers, including a single gracidea. The sounds of the sea below mixed with the gentle trickling of the spring within the cave itself, and combined with the gentle breeze blowing through the cave, created a soothing atmosphere.

On the Grass Continent, just as the last rays of sunlight disappeared below the horizon on the Day of Heroes, it was customary to have a minute of silence to roughly replicate the atmosphere of the dark and quiet Dark Future. To remember and honor those who'd fought for a brighter future.

It had only been a year, and yet it felt like there'd already been a whirlwind of changes. Human technology was starting to be introduced to this world, such as radio and trains, Team Seedlings had finally become a grandmaster-rank rescue team, and most notably for the group, Leviene had evolved.

As the minute of silence went on, multiple members of the WSC glanced at the Bayleef. Or, well, sorta-Bayleef. Normal Bayleefs didn't have pointy ears or pink fur along their neck, back, and tail.

Soon, the minute of silence was over, but the quiet still lingered on for a few befuddled. Eventually, Pahelia raised her voice to ask the sorta-Bayleef in the group's midst…

"What happened to you, Leviene?"

Leviene swayed their leaf and shook their tail. "I evolved a few days ago!" they exclaimed.

Various WSC members congratulated them, while Gen tilted his head.

"I get that, but uh, why do you have fur?" he asked.

Ayueg shrugs his wings.

"Not sure. Leviene thinks it has something to do with them being Mew in the past," he says.

"Yep! I'm even part psychic-type now!" Leviene said. "I'm sorta a Bayleef, sorta Mew! A Mewleef!"

"Woah…didn't know that could happen!" Vernir said, tail perking into the air.

"Yepperdoodles, that's amazing!" Lidequir said.

A bubble blew by the bluff, and Apoyime ran over to the opening in the cave, to watch the Krabby blowing bubbles down below at the beach.

"Can't believe you get to see sights like this every day," Ayueg says, stepping over to watch the bubbles with the Sceptile. "Wouldn't give up the sights in Serene Village and Lively Town for this, but…it sure is beautiful.

Pahelia let out a happy chirp as she watched the bubbles drift by, but they did have their speeches to do. So she cleared her throat and asked, "So…honoring our human partners this year?"

Leviene wagged their tail and swayed their leaf back and forth.

"Yep!" they said. "I've been waiting all year for this!"

"Me too!" Vernir said, leaning against Gen.

Apoyime tried to speak, "S…sa…" before giving up, and raising one of his claws. Over the past year, he and Pahelia helped the rest of the Council become fluent in reading sign language, and so he proceeded to sign with a smile on his snout, "Same team order as last year?"

"Sounds good! I'll begin," Acacia said.

The Meganium stepped forward to the center of the circle of gathered Pokemon. His tail swayed as he gazed towards his partner.

"The Meteor Crisis was the first disaster our world had faced in hundreds of years. Nobody was prepared, and many people made many mistakes with it," he began.

He'd never forget what Team ACT tried to do to him and Lidequir. Being chased halfway across the continent, running for their lives…

But that was all over now. He shook his head, and continued speaking.

"But through it all, I gained an invaluable, irreplaceable friend. One that I trusted with my life, and one that trusted me with hers," the Meganium continued, looking over at the Wartortle. "One that would save the world with me."

Acaia glanced upwards, before saying, "To Lidequir, and how she rescued us all from the falling star.

The group was silent, a similar silence to the one they observed at the start of this Day of Heroes.

The Meganium stepped back to his spot, and turned towards Pahelia, nodding at her. The Empoleon hesitated briefly, before stepping forward next and clearing her throat.

"The Time Crisis was...terrifying. The time gears were being stolen, and if they all were removed from their shrines..." the Empoleon began, before shaking her head.

"But it was all a trick, and me and Apoyime fell for it. Trapped in the Dark Future, with no idea who we could trust," she said. So much cold, dark, lifeless gray…

Pahelia took a deep breath, looking up towards the ceiling of the base.

"But throughout it all...he didn't falter. He was always so brave, so confident, exploring this terrifying land, and staying by my side...to the end," she said, looking over at the Sceptile.

"To Apoyime, and his never-fading desire to explore the world," Pahelia said, before the Empoleon stepped back towards her Sceptile partner's side. She cast a glance over towards the Servine in the group, and held out a flipper expectantly.

"You're up next, Vernir."

Vernir's eyes widened, though he quickly re-composed himself.

"Alright!"

The Servine stepped forth, and straightened his neck frills as he looked over the gathered group.

"The Desperation Crisis was the greatest human tragedy our world has faced. Thousands of humans were summoned here, and almost all were sent back, forgotten by everyone they knew here," he began, before trailing off.

How many friendships were torn apart, how many people had lost their partners?

Well…at least he still had his partner, and what an amazing partner he was.

"And yet, one managed to not only survive, but thrive. He withstood everything thrown at him, even when he was at his lowest," Vernir said, smiling brightly. "He refused to leave anyone behind, determined to save the whole world. And not only did he do that, but thanks to him, we now have access to the fabled world of humans."

The visits to the human world were always great, seeing a whole new world that he'd only heard rumors about before meeting Gen. And Gen was always there with him, it was almost like the reverse of himself teaching Gen about his own world.

He looked over towards the Dewott, gratitude in his eyes.

"To Gen, and the gate that he opened between our world and the human world."

Venrir's tail thumped against the ground as he returned to his spot, and turned towards the Mewleef.

"Go ahead, Leviene."

Leviene bolted towards the center of the group, before taking a deep breath, trying to focus. They knew exactly what they wanted to talk about, they just needed to put it into words.

"The Stone Crisis started so slow, and yet it quickly became the most terrifying thing our world has ever faced. There's not a Pokemon on this planet who wasn't affected by it in some way," they said.

So many Pokemon trapped in the Voidlands for days or even longer…including their pops…and it was so terrifying being in there…

But at least their partner was there with them.

"But my hero...he never gave up, no matter what. Even when our world was at its darkest hour, he never left my side, pushing me onwards, being my guiding light," Leviene said, smiling as they pointed their leaf towards the Combusken.

"To Ayueg, and how he shone bright like a superhero," they finished, before returning to their partner's side.

One could have sworn that Ayueg's eyes had shone right there.

The Combusken put a wing against the Mewleef's side, before looking around at the others. "Well, we've honored all eight of us now…what are we going to do now?"

Apoyime smiled, and said, "I have some…someone in mind."

"Me too," Gen said, tail wagging a bit. "Or, uh, well, multiple someones. Though maybe it should wait for next year. Since, um, all of us already went once total, maybe we could do four of us each year?"

Ayueg shook his head, and suggested, "How about next year, we speak as teams? That way we all get to go."

"I'm good with that!" Vernir said.

Acacia's petals twitched, before he nodded as well.

"That sounds like a nice compromise. Though if we're going to be speaking as pairs in these speeches from now on, shall we each plan out in advance who we're going to honor each year, figure out our speeches early?" he suggested

"Sounds good!" Pahelia said, raising a flipper into the air. "Thanks for letting us host the celebration this year!"

"Indeed, tha…thank you," Apoyime said, gently swaying his tail. "But before you all leave, there's one last thing I'd like to do."

"What's that?" Leviene asked, tilting their head.

"Is this going to be like Lidequir's 'one last thing' from last year?" Acacia said, neck lowering. "Please tell me it isn't."

"Hey, I found them alright," Vernir said, before glancing towards Gen's grimacing expression. "Though…maybe spare Gen them."

Apoyime pulled out a map of the Grass Continent from his bag, and pointed with a claw towards a chalice-shaped spot overflowing with water.

"I think it would be nice to tell you all about the exploration of Fogbound Lake," he signed.

Multiple sighs of relief could be heard.

Pahelia's eyes widened, as she remembered that extraordinary journey that truly started their adventure.

"Oooh, can I help?" Pahelia asked.

The Sceptile smiled. "Of course."

He turned to the rest of the group, curling his tail around his Empoleon partner.

"Now, it all started when Guildmaster Wigglytuff was running low on Perfect Apples…"

Pokemon Paradise, 2021

It had been a year since Apoyime and Pahelia had regaled the World-Savers' Council of the story of how they encountered their first Time Gear, and it was the Day of Heroes once again. This year, they were celebrating in a thriving town that Team Gardeners had cobbled together from what was once a barren wasteland.

The bulletin boards were filled with less requests than normal today, most Pokemon forgoing going into mystery dungeons to celebrate. Azumarill was gone from their station, as was Scraggy and Gurdurr, off to partake in the main celebration deeper in Paradise.

But the World-Savers' Council were celebrating on their own, just at the entrance to town. Post Town, the neighboring town, could be seen in the distance beyond the nearby crossroads, having their own celebration.

On the Mist Continent, throughout the Day of Heroes, it was customary to create and release paper lanterns. The lights floating into the sky resembled the orbs of light that brought the fallen humans home. Even if they were forgotten, their efforts to save this world weren't, and were honored.

Acacia watched one drift into the sky, remembering when it was Lidequir floating up, getting farther and farther away…

He glanced over at Gen, and noticed his ears flattened against his head.

"Solemn, isn't it?" Gen said, looking at another paper lantern. "Every one of them represents a human who was forgotten, never to return here. To think that I was almost one of them…"

Vernir put a vine on his best friend's paw. "Well, it wasn't, and we still remember you. And you can come back here anytime!"

The Dewott smiled, and gave the Servine a hug. "Yeah! And I've got you to thank for it!"

Lidequir smiled at the two. Their friendship was truly strong, enough to break the boundary between this world and the human world.

"Well, we've had a year to all prepare our speeches," Lidequir said. "Shall we begin?"

Apoyime nodded, glancing at a lantern drifting above the group.

Ayueg tore his eyes away from another lantern, the words "Now do me a favor…and don't you cry!" echoing in his mind.

"Same order as last year?" he asked, tapping one of his talons against the ground. "And we all have our speeches figured out?"

Apoyime nodded, and Gen said, "Yeah, me and Vernir spent days figuring out ours."

"Yepperdoodles!" Lidequir said, stepping forwards with Acacia.

The Meganium straightened his antennae, and began, "When we were fleeing from Team ACT, we were all alone. Just the two of us, with no one nearby we could trust."

"But as we traveled through Frosty Forest, we found ourselves an ally," Lidequir said. "An Absol, who had foreseen the disasters, and knew I wasn't behind them."

"They saved us from Articuno's wrath, and accompanied us throughout the rest of our journey, even battling Rayquaza alongside us," Acacia added, remembering the trio's trek up Sky Tower. "I am proud to have them on Team Seedlings."

Acacia bowed his neck downwards.

"To Temsik, who gave us hope in our darkest hour," the two said in unison, before returning to the group.

"Wish they could be here with us, but they're not one for large gatherings," Lidequir said, swishing her tail.

"I get that," Ayueg said, tapping a talon against the ground. "Wasn't one either for a while, but anyways, Team Sunset?"

Apoyime and Pahelia nodded, and stepped up next.

"In the Dark Future…there wasn't much left," Pahelia began. "Nearly everyone had given up all hope, and it seemed like nothing would ever get better."

"But some valiant souls defied that fate," Apoyime signed. "Celebi…and Grovyle. My first partner."

A few tears started forming in the Sceptile's eyes.

"While I didn't spend much time with Grovyle, I'll never forget that one sunrise we shared together," Pahelia said, looking up at a lantern. "Nor his sacrifice to save us all."

"And while I still may not remember the time we spent together before I became a Pokemon…" Apoyime signed, trying to hold back his tears. "The few days we were reunited…are something I'll never, ever forget."

He gazed up at a lantern, before giving a small bow.

"To Hojuro, who sacrificed everything to give us a future," Apoyime finished, before saying two words out loud.

"Thank you."

The two returned to the circle.

"Wish I could have met him. He sounds like a great Pokemon," Acacia said.

"He…was," Apoyime said, before switching to sign language. "He truly was."

"My condolences. I…can't say I understand what it's like to lose someone that close to you for good, but…I understand it on a temporary level, at least," Vernir said, tail drooping.

"It's alright," Apoyime signed, before wiping away his tears. "Though it's your and Gen's turn now."

"Oh, right!" Gen said, before walking forward, Vernir close behind him.

"The Desperation Crisis was, uh, scary, to say the least," Gen began, fidgeting with his fur. "I was hunted down for being human, was beaten by Kyurem, and even with Vernir at my side it was really terrifying."

"But we weren't alone," Vernir said, gesturing around at Paradise. "Emolga, Dunsparce, Virizion, Umbreon, Espeon…Gen may have defeated the Bittercold, but we couldn't have done it without them."

"Emolga and Virizion guarded us and protected us up to the final push, and gave us much-needed support. Umbreon and Espeon were the reason we could even get to the Glacier Palace in the first place, and freed Keldeo from their prison," Gen said, thinking back to when he and Vernir met each of them.

"And brave Dunsparce, who rallied Post Town out of desperation, and gave us the hope we needed to defeat the Bittercold," Vernir added, tail thumping against the ground. "I couldn't be prouder of them."

"To Chisola, Dunsparce, Virizion, Umbreon, and Soliare, and how they all did their part," Gen finished, smiling brightly. "It's an honor to be teammates with them all."

The Dewott and Servine returned to the circle.

"Wow, you two have a lot of Pokemon on your team!" Pahelia said.

"Yeah, and I'm really happy to know all of them," Gen said, tail wagging.

"Any reason they didn't want to join us?" Lidequir asked.

"Dunsparce didn't want to have so much responsibility, Emolga didn't want to join us without Dunsparce, Umbreon and Espeon wanted to focus more on their research, and Virizion figured it'd be awkward being the only legendary on the council," Vernir said, glancing towards Post Town. "It'd be nice to have them all here, but I respect their decisions."

"Hey, Virizion wouldn't be the only legendary! I'm also one!" Leviene said, trying to strike a pose. "Sorta! Kinda!"

"Heh, guess I'll have to ask Virizion again later!" Gen said, giggling. "But I think it's your and Ayueg's turn now."

Ayueg nodded, and started to step forwards, beckoning Leviene along.

"When we left Serene Village for the first time, we had no idea when we'd see anyone there again," Leviene started. "Kangaskhan, Budew, Goomy…pops…"

"Who knew that the next time we'd see one of them, though, she'd have devised a plan none of us could have dreamed of," Ayueg said. "After what happened on Revelation Mountain, Espurr decided to become a triple agent, playing Dark Matter's forces for fools, giving what remained of the Expedition Society invaluable information."

Leviene's leaf idly swayed, as they recalled gazing up at the massive tree with their ragtag group.

"She was so courageous, getting so close to the enemy, but she didn't falter. She helped us defeat Yveltal, and make it to the Tree of Life," Leviene said.

"To Espurr, and how her bravery was vital in taking down Dark Matter," Leviene finished, and the two of them stepped back.

As the final speeches for the day finished, Acacia rested his neck against Lidequir's shell. This tradition they had going on was lovely!

"Same thing next year, honor others who helped get us to where we are?" Gen asked, idly swaying his tail.

"Yepperdoodles!" Lidequir said, smiling. "Goodness, these celebrations are wonderful."

"Yep, I'm truly happy to be celebrating this with you all," Acacia said, tail wagging. "Thank you for hosting this year, Team Gardeners."

Vernir's tail perked up into the air, and Gen smiled brightly.

"No probl—woah!" Vernir yelped, as a certain electric squirrel crashed into him.

Surprised gasps and murmurs of confusion spread throughout the group as Emolga hugged the Servine.

"I can't believe you included me in your speech! You dork!" Emolga said, laughing.

"Emolga?! What are you doing here?!" Gen exclaimed, looking equal parts confused and amused. "I thought you wanted to celebrate with the rest of the team!"

Emolga puffed out their chest, putting their arms on their sides.

"I can take some time to say hi!" Emolga said, before taking some cookies out of their bag. "Who wants some snacks I stole from Umbreon?"

Serene Village, 2022

It had been a year since Emolga had crashed the party, and it was the Day of Heroes once again. This year, they were celebrating at Team Travelers' favorite spot in the whole world: a quiet hill with a tree on it, overlooking Serene Village.

Down below in the village, the celebrations were in full swing. Kangaskhan's cafe was packed, and the Kecleon merchant was selling a recent invention, "super sunglasses". There was no school today, and both teachers and children alike partook in the celebrations in the village. Even the guards up on Revelation Mountain had taken a day off of their duties to celebrate.

But up on the hilltop, the only Pokemon there were the World-Savers' Council. It was quiet, serene. Only eight Pokemon and a tree.

On the Water Continent, at exactly noon, it was customary to look at the sun for just a moment. Not long enough to damage anyone's eyes, just a tiny glance, but long enough to remember when the planet was falling into the sun.

Leviene had been waiting for this moment all year, and now it was finally time.

"Alright, everyone ready?" they asked, tail wagging. "3, 2, 1, go!"

In unison, the Council all glanced up at the bright midday sun, before looking back away.

Vernir almost wanted to flop onto the ground and bask, but he restrained himself to keep standing. "Nothing better than bright sunlight!" he said, tail perking into the air.

"I could not agree more," Apoyime signed as he laid down on the ground, giving into grass-type instinct.

"Yep, sunny days are the best!" Leviene added, flopping over to bask in the sunlight.

In contrast to the other grass-types in the group, Acacia wasn't as enthusiastic about the sunlight. Instead, he looked down at the ground, petals drooping.

"Why don't you join us, Acacia?" Leviene asked, looking towards the Meganium. "Is something wrong?"

Acacia didn't respond, other than a small nod

Gen's ears flattened against his head. He walked over towards Acacia, and asked, "Hey, you alright?"

"Somewhat," the Meganium said, looking over towards the Dewott. "Worried about Saltriv."

Vernir's tail drooped. "Right, it's been almost ten days since they went missing…"

It was as if a cloud had obscured the sun, with the grass-types basking standing back up, the sunlight not as important as comforting their eldest member.

"I'm sure your nibling will be found soon," Pahelia said, placing a flipper on Acacia. "We've put together a huge bounty for any search party that can find them, and we've all been searching, too."

"Yep! And we're gonna fix the Shadow Crisis, too!" Leviene said, draping their leaf over one of the Meganium's petals. "Just gotta find the next human, and help them along!"

"Just gotta find them, indeed," Ayueg said, letting out a small sigh. "But we will find them, and we will fix this. We're all far more experienced and powerful than we were during our journeys. Whatever's behind this doesn't stand a chance."

"Just…wish I could be out looking for Saltriv," Acacia said, sighing. "I get that you all wanted to celebrate, but…I'm worried. I miss their letters, and hearing about them from my sister, and just…knowing they're safe."

Lidequir put a hand on Acacia's side, and said, "Acacia, you've been looking for them almost nonstop ever since they went missing. You need a break, and we were in the area anyways."

"Need to keep morale up, too," Apoyime signed, smiling slightly. "As Guildmaster Wigglytuff always said, 'smiles go for miles.'"

"...right, that's why we're doing this," Acacia said, seeming to perk up a bit, a tiny smile on his snout.

"Thank you."

"Should we wait to start the speeches?" Apoyime signed, tilting his head. "It's only noon, we have a lot of the day left to do them."

"No, I can do this," Acacia said, craning his neck back up, and shaking his petals. "Lidequir, let's do this."

Lidequir pressed her tail against one of Acacia's hindlegs. "Alright," she said, stepping forwards with the Meganium, keeping her hand and tail on him.

Acacia focused on the sunlight, trying to soothe himself with it, then began.

"We celebrate all the big heroes, but we never talk much about the others who did their parts," he said. "Everyone knows us, Team Seedlings, but few remember Shiftry's change of heart, or Team Blast's valiant attempt at rescuing Team ACT. They deserve recognition, too."

"Magnemite being the first to join our team…that ghost-type who helped make the teleport gem…even Butterfree's simple kindness in giving us a tiny reviver seed for rescuing Caterpie…all of them helped us save the world," Lidequir said. She wondered how Magnemite was doing. They had left their team to pursue law enforcement a long while ago, but she still considered them an honorary part of Team Seedlings.

Throughout the speech, Acacia's petals had gradually perked back up, and he finished with, "To the little heroes, and how they helped us all."

As Team Seedlings returned to the circle, Gen stepped over towards Acacia, and asked, "Are you feeling any better?"

"...yep, I am. I think I needed this," Acacia said, antennae lowering. "Thank you, everyone."

"You're welcome," Apoyime signed, before stepping forward next alongside Pahelia. His tail swung as he turned towards the village below.

"We weren't a freelance exploration team to begin with. Still aren't entirely, but that's a story for another time," Apoyime signed, resisting the urge to rant about the 90% tax rate. But this was a day for celebration, not for ranting.

"When I first met Apoyime, I was trying to join the Wigglytuff Guild. Meeting him gave me the courage to actually do it…and it was a truly great decision. I don't know if we'd have ever saved the world if we didn't join the guild," Pahelia said.

"The whole guild was kind and helpful, and they're the reason we made it to Fogbound Lake, and through Brine Cave," Apoyime signed, nodding his head. "Those expeditions were wonderful, exploring places unmapped, seeing sights few Pokemon had seen before, and we truly felt like we belonged. And when it came down to it, Chatot was ready to give his life to protect us."

Pahelia trembled slightly as she recalled the memory of Chatot protecting them in Brine Cave, before focusing back on the speech.

"To the Wigglytuff Guild, and how they guided us through our adventure," she finished, before the two of them stepped back.

"Being with a guild sounds like fun!" Gen said, ears pricking up. "Sometimes wish we were with one, but we already have such a big team. I'm happy with what we have."

"It was indeed fun!" Apoyime signed. He paused, then added, "Usually. But I'd say it was well worth it. Also, it's your turn."

"Oh, uh, ok!" Gen said, and Team Gardeners stepped into the center of the circle. Gen groomed his fur a bit, before he began to speak.

"When I first saw what's now Paradise, it was nothing but a barren wasteland," Gen said. "It was through the efforts of much more than just our team that helped make it into what it is today."

"Quagsire let us have the land to begin with, and helped keep it safe," Vernir added, laying his tailtip on Gen's tail. "Scraggy, even if he was…confrontational at first, helped us a lot with our moves. Azumarill kept the job boards up to date, and helped organize our missions. And Gurdurr built over half the buildings in Paradise!"

Gen giggled a bit as he recalled Gurdurr's bold declaration to go to the human world if he ever needed anything built there. He should probably take Gurdurr up on that sometime

"It wouldn't be Paradise without their help," Gen said. "To the other founding members of Paradise, and their efforts in making it a lively, wonderful town."

They stepped back, and Lidequir put a hand on Vernir's back.

"You know, our base wasn't built by us, either!" She said, a gentle smile on her face.

"Really? I mean, I guess that makes sense, but who did, then?" Vernir asked, tilting his head.

"A group of Mankey upgraded it to look like Lidequir, and Smeargle painted that flag for us," Acacia said, stepping towards the Servine. "But before that…I bought it by complete accident from Wigglytuff."

Ayueg stared at Acacia with an incredulous expression. "How do you buy a house…by accident?!"

"To be fair, I did mean to buy a house, I just…bought the wrong kind," Acacia says, lowering his neck. "One for water-types, not grass-types. So…I let Lidequir have it."

"Wigglytuff?" Apoyime signed, tilting his head. "Guildmaster Wigglytuff, or a different one?"

"Different one," Lidequir said, sitting back down. "Think they're siblings, though."

Leviene stepped closer to the Meganium, and asked, "Why'd you choose to get such a lonely house, anyways? It's quite a ways from Pokemon Square…"

Acacia looked away, and said, "That is a story for another time. I believe it's your turn now."

"Alright…" Leviene said, leaf drooping for a moment before they stepped forth, quickly regaining their enthusiasm as Ayueg joined them, tapping a talon on the ground.

"Like Team Sunset, we had guidance from a guild, too! The Expedition Society" Leviene said, wagging their tail. "It was a dream come true to be able to join them as junior members!"

"It lived up to expectations, for sure, even if our first experience was…less than pleasant," Ayueg said.

The Combusken thought back to when the map terminal got destroyed when they first joined. Not a great first impression, nor was Ampharos'...wandering. But despite all that, he was glad he joined them.

"But they truly were amazing Pokemon, especially given our adventures in the Voidlands together, and Mawile's sacrifice to free us from our stone prison."

"And Ampharos and Jirachi!" Leviene chimed in. "They're so cool! They even came to our rescue in the Prehistoric Ruins!"

The Combusken nodded, remembering the daring teleport out of those ruins.

"To the Expedition Society, and how they believed in us enough to risk their lives for us," Ayueg finished, and the two stepped back.

"Sounds sorta like a guild, just not called one," Pahelia said, tilting her head.

"Heard that Ampharos decided to swap out 'guild' for 'society' in order to try to differentiate from the Wigglytuff Guild," Ayueg said, gazing over towards the mountains in the distance. "I'd say it worked."

"Wonder what—" Gen began, before his ears pricked up. "Hey, does anyone else hear footsteps?"

A Carracosta was walking along the path up the hill, carrying something covered in cloth.

Leviene's eyes widened. "Pops?! What are you doing here?!"

"I…wanted to give you something," Carracosta said, placing the cloth-covered object in front of the group. "Forgive me for intruding."

Leviene hesitated, then pulled away the cloth with a vine.

Underneath was a large cake, enough for every member of the World-Savers' Council to have a slice. It gave off a pecha aroma, and atop it, in frosting, were the footprint runes, "Thank you".

Tears started to well up in Leviene's eyes. "Pops, I…"

"Figured I should do something for you, since you're in the area," Carracosta said, looking down. "Never…actually said how proud I am of you for making it so far. One of the heroes of the world…"

"Pops…" Leviene said, trotting towards Carracosta, and hugging him with their vines.

"...you did good, Leviene. Better than I could ever have imagined. …I'm proud of you," Carracosta said, before looking towards Ayueg. "And Ayueg? …thank you for being a friend to Leviene."

Ayueg nodded, and said, "And thank you for being a father to Leviene."

Carracosta hesitated, then turned around, saying, "Enjoy the cake. I'm always here if you need to talk, Leviene."

And with that, Carracosta descended back down the hill.

"So that's your 'pops'?" Pahelia asked, tilting her head.

"Yep! He's…strict, but I wouldn't want anyone else as my pops," Leviene said, watching Carracosta go.

"Was he the one who gave you your special name?" Vernir asked, neck frills drooping slightly.

"Yep. He gave it to me after finding me under the tree here!" Leviene said, gesturing towards the hilltop tree with their leaf.

"Sounds like you have a nice father," Acacia said, as he saw Carracosta disappear from view.

"Sometimes, I wonder what it'd be like to have someone like that…" Vernir said, glancing away.

"Hey, don't worry," Ayueg said, placing a wing on the Servine's back. "Parents…aren't always the best. But you have all of us now, at least."

"Indeed," Apoyime signed, looking towards Vernir. "We're all here for each other."

"Yeah. You're right," Vernir said, hugging Gen. The Dewott smiled, and hugged back.

"Well, we've celebrated at a place important to each of us so far…what about next year?" Gen asked, glancing at Serene Village. "Just repeat the cycle?"

"Well, hopefully by this time next year, we'll have a new team of heroes to join our ranks," Acacia said, petals perking back up. "After that…well, we'll figure things out when we get there."

"I wonder what they'll be like," Pahelia said, gazing up at the sky, headcrest gleaming in the sunlight. "What species they'll be, what kinds of things they'll like. If they'll be like any of us, or different."

"Whoever they are, I'm super excited to meet them!" Leviene interjected, leaf flicking as their tail wagged. "We won't be the newest heroes anymore!"

"Ha, yeah," Ayueg said, laying down in the grass. "Gonna have to pass the torch soon."

"Hope they'll like my jokes!" Lidequir says, smirking. "Already have a few lined up to tell them."

"Don't corrupt them with the way of the pun…please," Gen said, ears flattening against his head.

"I agree…" Pahelia said, cringing as she leaned against Apoyime.

"I look forward to mentoring them," the Sceptile signed. "It's been a while since I've taught others."

"Whatever journey they go on…it's probably gonna be difficult, like all of ours," Vernir said, putting an arm on his reunion cape. "But I believe in them!"

Acacia looked out at the village below, a wistful look on his face.

"How about we wish them some good fortune?" Acacia suggested. "They're going to be heroes, just like us. We've honored the heroes of the past and present, but not the heroes of the future."

"Sounds like a plan!" Lidequir said, stepping closer to Acacia. "Who knows, maybe they'll somehow hear it!"

"First new crisis since we've come together…" Pahelia said, walking over to Team Seedlings. "Think we're ready for it?"

"I think so," Apoyime said, following his partner, before switching to sign language. "We've all saved the world at least once before. We can do it again."

"Yeah!" Gen exclaimed, pumping a fist into the air as he joined the gathering group. "Together, we can do anything!"

"Yeah…we've come so far, made it through so much," Vernir said, joining Gen with the others. "This is no match for us, especially since we'll have another team of heroes, too!"

Ayueg joined the others, a hopeful look in his eyes. "I'm glad we've all come together like this. I'm happy to know you all."

Leviene stepped up beside Ayueg, looking over Serene Village.

"We'll save the world as many times as we need to, and help the next heroes save it, too!" they exclaimed. "So let's cheer them on!"

"On the count of three! One, two, three!"

And in unison, all eight members of the World-Savers' Council spoke.

"To the heroes yet to come…good luck, and thank you."

It’s been a long, wild ride these past two and a half years I’ve been into PMD. So many ups and downs, but this series has been with me the whole way through.

When I first started writing Eternal Shadows in August of 2020, I never expected it to have the impact on my life that it did. Because of it, I’ve met my best friend, my girlfriend, and many others that I’m so, so happy to know.

All four main PMD games have changed my life for the better, and I’m so happy to have played them.

Eternal Shadows is not dead, and neither is In Tandem. I’m determined to complete both.

This oneshot was the very definition of a passion project. I was struck with inspiration for it on one of my morning walks, and worked on it daily until the rough draft was finished. The editing took a little longer, but this was the fastest I've published something in a long time.

No matter if this is the first of my works that you’ve read, or if you’ve been reading my fics since the early days of Eternal Shadows, thank you. It means the world to me that people are enjoying something that I created.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me come this far.

Last edited:

GumPlum

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Heya, Bench! Here’s my review of this oneshot, as promised!

Well, first of all, I think as a whole this was a really nice read. It was all kinds of wholesome to see so many characters that are in some ways familiar because of who they are supporting and talking amongst. There was nothing but good vibes all over, and it’s a nice little exploration on this holiday in your world, also serving as a loose prequel of sorts to Eternal Shadows. And like you said, as a tribute piece for PMD as a whole, it comes across very well. There’s a clear love for the series, and honoring each part that felt special to you, your characters, and your world, so it’s really amazing to just see so much poured in here. To that end, any criticisms I have aren’t very important, moreso to improve, but this story is good as it is. It achieves what it sets out do very well and is just lovely all around. I cannot overstate it enough, the love, honor, and respect here are clear, and that’s an amazing thing to see.

In terms of criticisms, only two minor things come up, and they’re barely criticisms. One is that at times (especially in the beginning) it was a bit hard to follow who is who and what species they were because it wasn’t clearly stated early one, and there’s so many characters to start with. By no means was it egregious or anything, and I thankfully have some knowledge from Eternal Shadows that let me more easily spot and recognize some like Lidequir, but the lack of character establishing moments for them made me a bit lost at the start. I think a bit more individual focus on the teams and more species-specific body language would’ve helped, but again, this wasn’t really a deterrent. By the end, I got who everyone was, it just took me a bit to get there.

And secondly, this isn’t really a criticism, but after reading I was left kinda wanting more. Not in the sense that I was disappointed, far far from it; it was more a feeling of “this is already good, now I want more.” This is mainly from the thought of this being a holiday, and while you do some light narration on what happens elsewhere and how people celebrate, that part isn’t actually seen, which is what I would’ve wanted more of. It’s a tricky thing since touching on everything else would’ve made this much longer and taken focus away from the circle of speeches pattern you have here, but it could be nice if, for example, a future oneshot explores how people actually celebrate this holiday and what can go on in the celebration. It’d make the world and holiday just that much more lived in and lovely. Again, this isn’t a flaw or anything, it’s just me loving this and wanting more and more from it, it’s me saying this was great and I’d love to read more if you had it!

And that’s pretty much it! I don’t have much to critique or add, this is a lovely and simple one shot meant to honor and appreciate PMD from your perspective, and it does that exceedingly well. Having each team have their little moment of reminiscing the good and bad while expanding the world and your interpretation of it is really great stuff. I got to know your interpretation of these characters a bit better than their brief appearances in Eternal Shadows, and that only makes me excited to see more of them in that story eventually. And seeing this end on a happy and hopeful note for the cast of Eternal Shadows was really nice too, it’s a nice little reflection piece for the future of your world. I think someone on TR said it best one time, that your writing and world always feel like even though there are crisis and danger, everything will be okay in the end, and that can be a really comforting detail.

Overall, this oneshot was a lovely time all the way through, and I really appreciate the pure love on display here, it only makes me love this world and PMD in general! Keep writing, Bench, you did well here and I’m excited to see you return to Eternal Shadows and see where that story could go. I wish you the best of luck!

Ambyssin

Gotta go back. Back to the past.
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
A cute piece, and one that clearly establishes itself as an ES prequel piece of sorts within the first paragraph. The nice thing about the one-shot is that it uses the repetitive structure well, jumping to different places from the canon world that hold importance to each of your four heroic teams, then having them talk about the significance of each area, which becomes a springboard to talk about the different elements making up these heroic teams.

I do think the first part stumbles out of the gate a bit with little exposition dumps about the various backstories for some of the heroes interspersed with PMD lore that bogs the pacing down a bit. There are attributes that you actually show (like Apoyime's speech difficulties and need to use sign language) that flow better for one-shot's pacing. Some of it is unavoidable, I suppose, since you're basing it around the version of the PMD world you made for ES and need to make this approachable for outside readers. The remaining parts flow quite nicely though. Less exposition and more of the characters conversing and going about their symbolic gestures. And it sounds like you had a lot of fun writing it, which is definitely a plus.

Thanks for sharing it.
And the tunnel to the Pelipper Post Office was still maintained, even so many years after a Diglett had dug it.
I like to think it's the diglett they rescued in RTDX who did it.
To look up at the night sky, scouting it for shooting stars like the one that nearly ended the world.
If they squint real hard, they can see Deoxys jamming out to "Somebody's Watching Me."
"You know, Acacia, I guess the cause of the disasters really was in space!"
Does that mean the heroes are the best at space for stopping the disasters?
"Don't worry, I won't make too much of a joke of things."
When age finally catches up, Lidequir can retire to a career as a master of ceremonies without missing a beat.
Despite me having nothing to my name besides my name
I, uh, am not sure if this line intended to read awkwardly or not. If it did, could of used an "um" somewhere to sell it.
Vernir was a lot more understanding than I'd expect for someone who watched an Oshawott fall out of the sky
To be fair, the one that'd probably freak Vernir out is a flying tepig. "When tepig fly" and all that. ;P
"It's me, Caterpie! Or, well, I'm Butterfree now!"
They've kept in touch, right? They're not reuniting for the first time in 20+ years, right? Cuz it kind of reads like that.
To remember and honor those who'd fought for a brighter future.
So, does that mean ES canon doesn't have Sky's special episode 5 happening? Or is it timeline/alternate dimension shenanigans.
"Yep! I'm even part psychic-type now!" Leviene said. "I'm sorta a Bayleef, sorta Mew! A Mewleef!"
I can't bayleef it.
Even when our world was at its darkest hour, he never left my side, pushing me onwards, being my guiding light," Leviene said
rick.jpg

I hope my royalty check is in the mail.
"Is this going to be like Lidequir's 'one last thing' from last year?"
Lidequir gearing up to host the next Nintendo Direct.
"And brave Dunsparce
Will Dunsparce get to be Dudunsparce in ES? :V
"Just gotta find the next human, and help them along!"
:copyka:
"How do you buy a house…by accident?!"
"Wigglytuff is a very good salesmon."
One is that at times (especially in the beginning) it was a bit hard to follow who is who and what species they were because it wasn’t clearly stated early one, and there’s so many characters to start with. By no means was it egregious or anything, and I thankfully have some knowledge from Eternal Shadows that let me more easily spot and recognize some like Lidequir, but the lack of character establishing moments for them made me a bit lost at the start.
I'm going to echo this sentiment, but also say that, even with the ES knowledge, I still think it's not quite enough. You do throw some species reminders in here and there, which definitely helps a bit, but since this one-shot is built on large group scenes you probably could have done with some more species reminders. Especially since this goes for something between third-person limited and omniscient POV with the jumping around between different heroes' heads within the same scene.

Aleister

Youngster
Pronouns
he/him
I think its an interesting piece, but personally I've never played mystery dungeon, so I don't know what any of the characters mean. I think that you did a good job describing the characters and showing their dialogue - quite liked how you used speech marks and then followed it with a description of the character. It was well written, but other than that I can't comment much since I've never seen the source material.

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
Howdy hey! This was a delightful one-shot, filled with hope and remembrance and friendship. It really feels like a heartfelt love letter to each of the PMD games, and you did a wonderful job with it!

It was local custom here on the Air Continent to stargaze a bit during the Day of Heroes. To look up at the night sky, scouting it for shooting stars like the one that nearly ended the world. To show vigilance like the continent's heroes.
What a lovely tradition! It feels very appropriate to the event that brought it about—respectful, hopeful, pondering.
The base and mailbox, both designed after a Squirtle, still retained their look, even with the Squirtle they had been designed after being a Wartortle now.
Ayo is it my girl Lidequir? IT IS. I’m enjoying seeing and recognizing a bunch names and faces from Eternal Shadows!
Next to them, a Servine adjusted the green reunion cape he wore, nervously fidgeting with his tail. Turning to his Dewott partner, he asked, "Is it fitting right, Gen?"

The Dewott looked over at his partner, smiled, and said, "Yeah, still fits you just as well as before, Vernir!" Three years since the two of them saved the world from succumbing to the Bittercold's desperation, and Vernir had only evolved into a Servine last week. It was quite the adjustment for them both, but they were managing well.
Omggg it is THEY! What a delight to see more of these two after having read A Way to Reunite. Their friendship throughout this one-shot is particularly sweet and wholesome.
"I just wanted to say thank you to Lidequir and Acacia!" the Butterfree said, flying over to the pair. "It's me, Caterpie! Or, well, I'm Butterfree now!"

"Hello there!" Acacia said, bowing his head a little. "It's nice to see you again."
THE OG CATERPIE FRIEND OMG

As the minute of silence went on, multiple members of the WSC glanced at the Bayleef. Or, well, sorta-Bayleef. Normal Bayleefs didn't have pointy ears or pink fur along their neck, back, and tail.
The whaaaat? I’d love to see a visual of this, the design sounds adorable
On the Mist Continent, throughout the Day of Heroes, it was customary to create and release paper lanterns. The lights floating into the sky resembled the orbs of light that brought the fallen humans home. Even if they were forgotten, their efforts to save this world weren't, and were honored.
I’m really loving the various traditions you’ve crafted for each continent, each set of heroes, each calamity. They’re all so thoughtful and…reverent? I think that’s the word I’m looking for.
He should probably take Gurdurr up on that sometime

"Like Team Sunset, we had guidance from a guild, too! The Expedition Society"
Missing some punctuation in these sections!

My favorite part of this story was the way each partnership was highlighted in its own way. The friendships in each pair of heroes are unique, each relationship differing in their own way, each with their own dynamic. And they were all enjoyable! So many different flavors of friendship. We love to see it!

I can feel your passion and love in this story—not just for the story itself, but for the characters, too, for the games they all hail from, and the world they take place in. 💛

lichhen

gay
Pronouns
he/they/ze
Partners
  1. metapod-shiny
Day of Heroes: a hopeful narrative about responsibility for the future​

general thoughts

Day of Heroes feels like a tale about responsibility. The reward for taking responsibility is making it through to the other side, along with loved ones.

I have yet to complete a single PMD game. I have watched most of the playthrough of EOS, but still havent finished it! I know a basic gist of PMD stories because I do love the story, watching playthroughs, and fan works. I'm just not the best with absorbing stories through video games. This review will be coming to you from someone who is reading Day of Heroes as virtually a stand-alone story.

Day of Heroes was fun for me to read because I am a particular fan of stories that start at some place other than the beginning. I like how much is going on in the story, and the depth of the relationships.

Next, there seemed to be a pattern shared between all of the first few sentences of each scene. It felt charming and gave the narrative a rhythmic structure.

Further, the details were wonderful to read and constructed a large world. For example:

The way you describe the different customs of the continents and why they do it. You illustrated the world deeply and fluently.

So, Day of Heroes takes place over several years, but always on the same day - the Day of Heroes.

Although the world has gone through disaster after disaster, not much has changed.

The base and mailbox, both designed after a Squirtle, still retained their look, even with the Squirtle they had been designed after being a Wartortle now.

This seems magical somehow. I wonder about how it feels to be in that place for them, what it feels like for Lidequir to see that Squirtle house after having evolved. Or how does it feel for Lidequir's partner, Acacia, to see that fresh Squirtle face after so long, while their best friend stands as a Wartortle beside them? The narrative gives me the idea that it reminds them of when they first met.

This detail of things remaining the same seems to emerge multiple times throughout the story. It is comforting, and hopeful. Some things are still the same, even after almost ending. It's a pensive message.

Also, I love the names of your characters! All the names are very cool, sound great, are very strong. As someone who has not read your wider PMD work, it was confusing for me to follow along with who was who and who was what pokemon. If you're interested in perhaps allowing this piece to stand on its own, you could try adding in some more specifics/description about who is who. You could say things more often like "Ayueg, the Combusken, did stuff" or you could try to indicate through detail who they are to help the reader along. Like, "Ayueg shook his orange feathers, his Combusken eyes a piercing yellow" or something. It may sound repetitive but i personally prefer repetition and understanding over vagueness and confusion. but either way is a valid stylistic choice and you can definitely make whatever choice work.

Finally, appreciated the conversational realness of the dialog. There are a lot of verbal affirmations from characters to each other showing that they've heard and acknowledge whoever's been speaking.

Now I will give some comments by chapter:

Team Seedlings Base, 2019

The characters express so much of themselves and their histories together. You cohesively summarize an entire series of games. What if you tried getting more specific with some of the more significant details? For example, this sentence:
A nearby Chikorita gazed up at the stars in wonder, remembering a time two years ago when they and their Torchic partner were up there, climbing the Tree of Life to try to put a stop to Dark Matter's rampage. Draping their leaf over said partner, they asked, "Spot any cool constellations, Ayueg?"
"gazed up at the stars in wonder" is a pretty description. If you wanted, you could try getting more specific about what Chikorita is exactly looking at. Are there any constellations they'd recognize? Are there more stars visible or less visible? Is the sky different here than where Chikorita has lived before?

a suggestion for the next part of the sentence: when you are describing them climbing the tree of life, is there a specific detail you could describe about that experience? What was it like to climb that tree? Was the bark slippery? Were there ants on it (if this world has ants lol)? Similarly, you could think more specifically about how they "put a stock to Dark Matter's rampage." What exactly did Dark Matter do during their rampage? Was there anything particularly, personally difficult for Chikorita and Ayueg?

i really like "Draping their leaf over said partner" and the description of small movement.

I like how the scene continues, and Combusken describes aloud what he sees in the sky. I like it when character conversations help describe the setting like that.

Then we get to meet Acacia the Meganium and Lidequir the Wartortle, two of my faves! Their personalities are hilarious and charming together.

As someone who has little PMD knowledge, I don't quite get Lidequir's joke haha but I don't need to. All I need to know is how Acacia replies, and the interaction is simply all about illustrating their chemistry. It does do some plotwork though too, referencing their histories.

"Thanks!" Vernir replied, and slowed his fidgeting.

These two stuck out to me as immediate favorites. The fidgeting, the tail. Very cute and also relatable. It is clear he has recently evolved and is still getting used to it.

And once again, we have another detail that has remained the same, despite the passage of time. Vernir's green reunion cape still fits him as a Servine. One thing I wonder is if it fits differently at all, even if it still fits well. It could be in a different way? Or does it still feel the same to Vernir?

Reading on, we get to something that feels like one of the major problems of the narrative:

"So many Pokemon across the word are honoring us today, but it feels a bit weird to just stargaze during all this."
He wondered how to help the younger four heroes in their group feel welcome,

The pokemon are troubled. What do they do with themselves now? They're still figuring out their lives, just like anyone else. Their problems aren't solved just because they saved the world. There is still a whole future.

i thought this was an amazing & sentimental transitory sentence:
Acacia and Apoyime frowned a bit at that, though the former's frown disappeared as Lidequir looked at him.

Fittingly, the narrative gets super emotional after that. Lidequir's little speech is interesting and heartfelt.

awwww:
Acacia groaned, but there was a smile on his snout.

wow this was dark and beautiful:

Pahelia was the reason why I didn't let the tide wash me back out to sea when I first woke up on the Treasure Town beach

They exchange some sweet things about each other, and then they decide they're all too tired to go on, and will wait A WHOLE OTHER YEAR to continue the conversation!!! aaaaa! I don't quite understand how it was so easy for them to figure that out haha. How can they wait so long when the words are already bursting out?! Then again, I completely understand not wanting to do anything ever while tired, so nevermind haha.

And then we meet BUTTERFREE WHO WAS THE CATERPIE they saved when they first met!! awww! That was such a cute thing to happen. After all this time, the Day of Heroes has Butterfree taking initiative and reaching out to thank his heroes. That's pretty cool.

i thought this part was really interesting:

"Sounds cool. Didn't get a chance to do anything like that for a week after I arrived, mostly just school and running for my life," Ayueg said, shaking his head.

"Well, we're all heroes here," Acacia said, trotting towards the Combusken. "We've all saved the world. Doesn't matter when we started helping other Pokemon, we've all made it here."

"Yeah, you're right. Thanks," Ayueg said, seeming less tense as he stood up. "Come on, Leviene, we should go."

There is an interesting theme of insecurity in Day of Heroes! They're heroes, they're actually world-recognized heroes, and yet they still question themselves! It's really sweet how the older ones look out for the wellbeing of the younger ones, too. Responsible adults in this house❤️

the way this first section ended was a perfectly light yet sentimental touch.

Sharpedo Bluff, 2020

i like how you describe the different locations where Day of Heroes takes place. sweet, concise wording that depicts the scene. The description of Sharpedo Bluff was gorgeous.

i thought this part was so cool:

On the Grass Continent, just as the last rays of sunlight disappeared below the horizon on the Day of Heroes, it was customary to have a minute of silence to roughly replicate the atmosphere of the dark and quiet Dark Future. To remember and honor those who'd fought for a brighter future

ooooh this is great:

It had only been a year, and yet it felt like there'd already been a whirlwind of changes. Human technology was starting to be introduced to this world, such as radio and trains, Team Seedlings had finally become a grandmaster-rank rescue team, and most notably for the group, Leviene had evolved.

Okay this stuff about Leviene, her coooooool awesome appearance as a Bayleef, and being related to Mew?! Awesome!! MEWLEEEF!! omg Leviene gets to invent this whole new identity!

The following transition is great - going to the krabby bubbles, then moving onto another conversation.

IM SO HAPPY FOR APOYIME EVERYONE LEARNED SIGN LANGUAGE apoyime always deserved to be understood on his own level❤️

Then Acacia's speech starts, and it starts hard. Def one of my favorite bits so far. Acacia's words were lovely.

Pahelia's speech is also amazing though. Poetic.

Leviene's speech was also great! I feel like the year gave everyone a chance to prepare some really heartfelt words.

hehehe:
"Is this going to be like Lidequir's 'one last thing' from last year?" Acacia said, neck lowering. "Please tell me it isn't."

Pokemon Paradise, 2021

The next part is Pokemon Paradise. As with the other sections, it starts out by establishing the time and place in beautiful concise words.

The description of the lantern ceremony is touching. and this really made it personal:

Acacia watched one drift into the sky, remembering when it was Lidequir floating up, getting farther and farther away…

yayyyy:
Vernir put a vine on his best friend's paw. "Well, it wasn't, and we still remember you. And you can come back here anytime!"

The part where Apoyime talks about their old partner Grovyle is where i absolutely had tears streaming down my face :U

A few tears started forming in the Sceptile's eyes.
yeah mood. HOJUROOOO

I thought Gen and Vernir's recollection of The Desperation Crisis was really good. Well explained, and as someone who knows nothing about the game, I could follow along and found it interesting.

All the reasons the other teammates aren't there are cool story-telling details.

It was SOOO sweet when Emolga showed up!!! It felt like a parallel to Butterfree's appearance. Really fun to read everyone's pleasant surprise when their showed up. Emolga also had really colorful dialog, like "I can't believe you included me in your speech! You dork!" and "Who wants some snacks I stole from Umbreon?"

onto Serene Village 2022

Serene Village, 2022

i appreciated this sentence:

But up on the hilltop, the only Pokemon there were the World-Savers' Council. It was quiet, serene. Only eight Pokemon and a tree.
it's nicely written, but also, reminds me the number of pokemon we have in this intimate gathering. with so many main characters, it's helpful to be reminded of those wider details so i can keep a firm grasp on the whole picture.

the sun-gazing tradition is really cool

awww:

Apoyime signed as he laid down on the ground, giving into grass-type instinct.
wowww, then i got to know about the missing Saltriv. It's really interesting how this celebration is a break in the midst of such a hard time for Acacia. The dialog was great at providing me with information about what's going on, but still remaining realistic and true to the scene. It was a great plot to have the Day of Heroes celebration be instrumental in helping Acacia through this time.

YEEEE Wigglytuff and Chatot appearance! beloveds!

I loved the exchange about what it was like to be in a guild.

awww:
"And Ampharos and Jirachi!" Leviene chimed in. "They're so cool! They even came to our rescue in the Prehistoric Ruins!"

The scene with Leviene's pops Carracosta felt heavily layered. Especially with the way Carracosta acts. He seems to regret his past with Leviene and wants to make up for it. He wants to take responsibility. It also seems like Leviene wants to give him that chance.

ahhhh one of my favorite parts! so validating:

"Sometimes, I wonder what it'd be like to have someone like that…" Vernir said, glancing away.

"Hey, don't worry," Ayueg said, placing a wing on the Servine's back. "Parents…aren't always the best. But you have all of us now, at least."

lots of laughs when Gen told Lidequir, "Don't corrupt them with the way of the pun…please,"

The characters' parting words, directed toward the future heroes they have yet to meet, were richly worded. First, Acacia points out how much sense it all makes: "They're going to be heroes, just like us. We've honored the heroes of the past and present, but not the heroes of the future."

Then, Lidequir says, "Who knows, maybe they'll somehow hear it!", invoking a sense of magic and hopeful mystery.

Everyone steps up and adds their voice. They are all full of gratitude towards each other. They've all pulled through their worst struggles, and ended up together.

"Good luck, and thank you." So many people deserve to hear that. I love that that is the concluding message to the reader.

Thank you for writing, and good luck as you write more<3

Railgun

Johto trash.
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. raichu
Hey Bench! Thought I would share my thoughts as part of the review exchange! :P So, without further ado, let’s begin!

I’ll be honest, I don’t know much about the Mystery Dungeon series because I’ve never played them. However, I can tell based on this one shot, that the series is near and dear to your heart.

You have a wide cast of Pokémon celebrating their feats and accomplishments every year through the ‘Day of Heroes.’ That’s just an adorable and sweet way to remember all the memories they had, especially when saving the world! I love that every Pokémon mentioned got a chance to explain their tale, with each theme being different year after year. I love that the locations also changed every year and everyone just seems to be a close group of friends. You have Pokémon like Lidequir who seems to enjoy jokes and puns, to characters like Leviene who is such a unique hybrid but a kind character over all! I wonder why she is part Mew, hehe.

Your writing style is very nice, not too much complaints for it given its clarity. My only criticism is that it was a bit hard to follow who was speaking. Granted I don’t know much about PMD so that is probably why. In fact, are the names of the Pokémon something you came up with or are they canon in their respective games?

But despite that, it was such a fun little read. It’s just so wholesome and I live for cuteness. I think this story has convinced me to check out the PMD series sometime. Given the tidbits I read, it seems the stories each of the Pokémon went through are pretty heavy but adventurous. Seems to be up in my alley then!

Thank you for the review exchange, Bench. While my knowledge on PMD is limited, it was a pleasure reading this fun little tale! Keep excelling with your stories and glad to see someone giving the series love! Cheers! :D

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
Hi Bench! Here for our little review exchange! I think it's been a hot minute since I've reviewed something of yours, so it was nice to get back into your writing again!

I'll start off by saying that I didn't have to read your author's notes to be able to tell that you put a lot of heart and thought into this. I know the PMD series is near and dear to your heart and I'd be able to tell that even if I didn't know you and hadn't read your stuff before just by reading this. It's clear you've put a lot of thought into these characters and their past adventures and their relationships with one another, and I love how it all came together in this little piece.

I also really enjoy the formatting. I'm a big fan of the repetition here, how we bounce from year to year and how every subsequent year, the group honors heroes a little differently. I thought it was really neat how at the beginning it kind of came off as a one off "well I'm tired so lets just continue next year" but they kept doing it and it ended up becoming a tradition (ig thats how all traditions start, ig?). It was really sweet how everyone got so into it, and even how there were little cameos from those they'd rescued and other teammates showing up. All in all, extremely well-crafted.

I recognized a few of these names! And I saw Gen and did the "Leonardo DiCaprio pointing meme" thing, but I didn't recognize Vernir. But nonetheless, the whole time I was thinking "awwwww look at Gen all grown up and vibing with his buddies" but then I started thinking......WHERE is Burhalla and Saltriv??? And WHO is this Vernir guy? I chalked it up to the fact that there's parts of ES I still haven't read, but THEN fucking Acacia was like "Eyo where's my nibling Saltriv" and I was like.....HOLLUP. IS THIS A PREQUEL??????? And thats when it dawned on me that there is indeed a dewott named Gen who is mentioned in one of the earlier chapters of ES, and I still have no idea how any of that works yet because I'm not caught up; yes I am smart I definitely have reading comprehension am def not an idiot, all according to plan :copyka:

Jokes aside, once I realized this was a prequel and everything fell into place among my single braincell, I liked it even more. Cuz lord I feel like these hoes have no idea what's coming to them. BUT I did enjoy how they shouted out the future heroes, I def thought that was sweet.

I guess my only critique is, while I found your writing and overall prose very easy to take in and read, there were points where I struggled to keep up with who was talking, and I think I could also partially chalk that up to the fact that I was mostly unfamiliar with these characters in general--like I had a hard time remembering that Acacia was a Meganium, etc. so keeping track of all the names in general took some time. I think if you ever did go back and make some tweaks to this, perhaps just a little extra to drive home who's speaking and who's who might be helpful.

Other than that, this was a great read, and I'm proud of you for putting it together and sharing it! Thanks so much for exchanging with me, and I'll see you around darling <3

canisaries

you should've known the price of evil
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. inkay-shirlee
  2. houndoom-elliot
  3. yamask-joanna
  4. shuppet
  5. deerling-andre
Hi! Here to review this, as per our review exchange.

"Sounds great!" Leviene said, wagging their tail.
It took me a bit to figure out who Leviene was since they were the only one not introduced with their species
figure out our speeches early?" he suggested
Missing period at the end.
being my guiding light,
Wrong fi- aw, Ambyssin already made this joke.
Acacia didn't respond, other than a small nod
He should probably take Gurdurr up on that sometime
Missing periods at the end.
"You know, our base wasn't built by us, either!" She said, a gentle smile on her face.
You want "she" in lowercase.
The Expedition Society" Leviene said,
Missing comma after Society.

---

This whole story has a lovely air to it. It really reads like a celebration of all the PMD games. I do, though, have to mention that I am crap at remembering the canon plots, and so this didn't have as big of an effect on me as it could have. Still, I did cry! It's a beautiful story.

I like all the various traditions linked to the Day of Heroes on different continents. It makes the culture seem rich. I especially liked the paper lanterns, even if I couldn't remember the event it was based on.

I will admit it did take me a while to learn everyone's names, but I don't really know how to really make it any easier. It's just kind of a baked-in problem with any scene introducing eight characters at once.

I think that's it for my thoughts. I'm sorry that I don't have more, but I think it's just due to how much of this relies on the games and how I remember so little. Either way, if I ever hear someone asking for a story celebrating all the PMD games, I'll be sure to recommend this one. If you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer them on here or on Discord. Until next time, see you around!

Blackjack Gabbiani

Merely a collector
Pronouns
Them
Partners
  1. shaymin
  2. dusknoir
Ah neat, Mystery Dungeon! I'm not very familiar with this part of the franchise so I'm coming at this as a bit of an outsider.

I like how you show the passage of time since the adventure began. The Squirtle being a Wartortle now but the designs are still the same is a cute touch. And gosh this world needs saving a LOT. Thirty years ago, three years ago...no wonder rescue teams are everywhere! There's constantly some sort of threat!

Acacia's body language involving petals is really nice.

"We're all heroes here" awww

A Bayleef with *fur*? Oh now that's a very unusual thing indeed! I'm interested!--Oh, they were Mew in the past! Wow!

"first disaster our world had faced in hundreds of years" Given the prior point I'm not 100% sure of that haha

Ooh a memorial for the humans. I guess one wouldn't think about them usually but they kept coming to the world and failing, right? Good to see they're still remembered, and their status as humans wasn't forgotten.

Oh, Grovyle, it's this game! Oh and it's all the games! I gotcha. (like I said I'm not all that familiar)

Is there a reason some of the pokemon have nicknames and others go under their species name?

aww a cake

Oh no! It ends before we know what happens to Saltriv! But since this seems to be part of a much longer series (which answers some questions I had about how they refer to some things) then I assume that's for the next part, yes?

I like how you describe everyone and show their personalities in different ways, and the various celebrations they have every year.

Nekodatta

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. koraidon-apex
  2. miraidon-ultimate
Here for the review exchange!

I assume/hope I will be somewhat familiar with the characters having read Eternal Shadows.

A celebration to remember all the various teams that saved the world in the events of the various games is a nice thing and it helps in making all the various mystery dungeon games feel like they happened together in a wider world like Super established.

Stargazing to "watch out for shooting stars" is a lovely way to remember the events of the first game!

There are a lot of nice clever references in the scenes of all the heroes watching the stars, and I like how they became a group of their own, united by all the difficulties they faced and common experiences they shared.

I also liked all the various cameos, like mentioning the Diglett or Caterpie from Rescue Team, and all the little references to the games.

The Super team complaining about having to go to school for a while before they got to start helping Pokémon gave me a chuckle, I loved Super as a game but the start... Dragged a bit lol

I like that it's held at a different place every year to remember all the various teams! And aww, the gracidea.

I was wondering who they would talk about the third year, so as soon as Absol was brought up I braced myself for Grovyle. Aww.

I like all the little mention and references to more and more characters, and the little bits of worldbuilding, like explaining why the partner has a house of *your* type in Rescue Team Red, or that the two famous Wigglytuffs of the franchise are siblings! Loved all those little bits, it's so clever and its the kind of worldbuilding I love to see.

I also like how at the last gathering it mentions Saltriv and we are left kind of going directly into the events of Eternal Shadows, it works nicely both as a little prequel of sorts, but also as a little celebration of the series as a whole.

I'm sure that rereading this after reading more works of yours would just make this piece look more and more layered with more and more references. I like it, it really conveys the feeling that these characters have all had their own adventures and stories to tell well before this piece. It gives them a lot of depth.

I really enjoyed this!

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Hey, Bench! Happy Blitz, and happy Catnip. I remember when you wrote this story--it's always fun to see what people will come up with to celebrate milestones in the Pokémon franchise, and this strikes me as a very fitting tribute to PMD.

I enjoy the incorporation of all the different PMD games here, and the general concept of a Day of Heroes is a fun one--in a world where you can actually point to a small handful of people who've averted catastrophe, it makes sense to celebrate them! In particular I enjoyed the rotation between places important to each set of heroes and the variations on the "day of heroes" tradition practiced in each place. My favorite was definitely the Mist Continent version, perhaps because I have a real weakness for paper lanterns, heh. In general I think you did a good job of making each location feel unique despite the similar format in each scene, and the cameos you included with local NPCs were a lot of fun. This story is just overflowing with game references, and it's great!

It is always tough to write something short with a large number of characters in it--we simply don't get to spend a lot of time with any of them, when they're all competing for a pretty limited number of words. This isn't as much of a problem for something that's a tribute to a franchise that people are familiar with; the primary goal is to pack in as many references as possible, to make the audience go, "Oh, yeah, I recognize/remember that thing!" You also did a good job of giving the various heroes simple quirks to differentiate them, which the base games don't necessarily do, such as Lidequir's jokes and Leviene's fur. Even so, it can be hard to make so many characters shine in a short space, and I think the structure where each team has a brief reminiscence in each year's scene dilutes their impact further. For me, it might have worked better to have picked one pair to highlight in each year, and go a bit more in-depth with their story while keeping the other teams' contributions during that year very brief--that way you'd be able to really spotlight each pair and the relationship at different times, rather than giving everyone equal treatment in each scene, where they can blend together a bit.

In the end, this is a format with some unique challenges, but I think you captured the individual charms of each PMD game, which is the primary goal here. It's clear how much you love the franchise, and also strive to make its world your own. The last line is a real fitting closer, and a hope for all of us here rather than in the PMD world, eh? Let there be more games, and heroes, to come!

Top Bottom