• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[MAFIA WIN] Second Anniversary Fanfic Mafia - Game Thread

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
First of all, someone asked who I targeted on the first 2 nights. I was not allowed to begin using my role until N2 for....reasons, I guess?

Wait, were you a backup?

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
[[UGH I also forgot to include Nefari in my townreads, gonna put her as neutral for now because there was an earlier post of hers that I need to go back and analyze but I am pressed for time atm.]]

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
Wait, were you a backup?
[[...How much am I allowed to reveal about my role PM? Because DW shared some details from her PM about being able to choose between roles, but idk, I don't want to break any rules. I'm gonna wait on an answer from Negrek before sharing more details, but I will say that nowhere in my role was I addressed as a "backup". Just that I couldn't begin using my role until N2.]]

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
[[...How much am I allowed to reveal about my role PM? Because DW shared some details from her PM about being able to choose between roles, but idk, I don't want to break any rules. I'm gonna wait on an answer from Negrek before sharing more details, but I will say that nowhere in my role was I addressed as a "backup". Just that I couldn't begin using my role until N2.]]
You can claim your entire role so long as you don't outright quote your role PM to prove it.

Dragonfree's post explaining her vote on Chappie makes a good point about how much she's been contradicting herself, and I've said before that scum!busdriver Chappie does make sense. Think I'll go back onto Chappie now.
Find Mafia having multiple ways to get around protection a bit less likely so if Chappie's scum I'd be less incline to vote Yellow. Maybe they'd still have a roleblocker but I don't think balancing would work too well if they had an overdose doc and a driver.

Vote: Chappie

Seren

Lurking
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. sableye
[[ hnnng so much to reply to so little time

wish I could get to Tefiren’s RP stuff before end of day but just not readable atm

that said, thank you for pointing out that stupid error, elyvorg, in why both Lexx and Lusanine couldn’t have both been arsonist kills. All the day and night phases are blurring with irl day and night I guess but it makes sense of course that it’s mechanically impossible.
]]

Seren

Lurking
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. sableye
[[ that should say “not feasible” up there, not “not readable”. rip ]]

SparklingEspeon

Back on Her Bullshit
Staff
a Terrace of Indeterminate Location in Snowbelle
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. fennekin
  3. zoroark
The talk of the town was lynching that luxio that had just become a thorn in his side out of the blue. Talk of the town also said there was a 50/50 chance he'd be the one under suspicion next if they turned out to be a bad apple, but he figured arguing for them would just give him the worst kind of attention. Better to swallow his lumps and get it out of the way. And besides, if he voted, perhaps that would make him look more trustworthy...

[[It feels like everyone has already done all the big-braining before me, but Windskull/Elvorg's posts have pretty much convinced me that Chappie is a good info lynch for today, barring a total game-change. Even if they flip town, that still gives us good info/leads to a few other people/roles.]]

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
[[It might be my naturally smooth brain, but I'd like a clarification of this sentence.]]
Nah it's probably me my brain is very fried right now.

I find it less than probable that mafia has two roles to that have a major use in killing people who are protected.

Even more overdose doc + bus driver cause if they can predict the town docs target and target there with the overdose doc and switch onto another person. Consistently doubled killings of whoever the heck they want would assume they correctly predicted the doc every night but even if they got it right about half the time it would be incredibly OP, especially taking into account we know there is/was a hostile third party who's also killing and possibly a second third party.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Popping in real quick to confirm that overdoses are in play in this game. Negrek warned me of this in my role PM right from the start. What I've been doing to try to avoid this was choosing my targets semi-randomly. I'd gather a group of people who I thought might be hit, weighted them by various factors, then plug them into a random generator.

I figured what had happened as soon as I saw Wes's reaction RIP Arctozolt
"Hold the fuck on," Dave snarled suddenly. "If you figured that as soon as you saw Wes's reaction, then why didn't you fucking say so?"

Mewtwo looked to the human who had fallen to the ground. His emotion rang through the air.

For now, Mewtwo forgot that Wes was human and they were Mewtwo. Mewtwo dropped from their den, to the ground with the rest. What did the human do last night?

That turned to what Mewtwo had done. Sitting in their den after night had fallen, considering all the players. They let the fall of the dice decide their final answer. They ground on Mewtwo, that odd two-minded Pokemon with their baffling actions the day before. But, Mewtwo considered it might be wise not to risk losing a possible advantage.

As they had done the previous two nights--first with the human Lexx, then with Archopy--Mewtwo silently approached the sleeping Arctozolt and lit their eyes and a hand with a soft lavender light. The aura of a Heal Pulse filled the air--Mewtwo fled before it could even dissipate.

Except, Arztovolt was dead.

The Luxio. Wes. A hidden killer among them.

Someone, somehow, had circumnavigated Mewtwo's protection. How.
"You're not just not saying it, you're saying someone somehow circumnavigated your protection. The fuck's that supposed to mean, if you actually knew it was overdose the whole time? Obviously you did guess he was a healer too. So why wouldn't you just fucking say what you were thinking?

"I'll tell you why: you're the fucking mafia doctor. You thought Wes didn't know about overdoses, and that only you had been told that. Hence getting in there, all ready to get down and bond with him over how you both failed to protect Arctozolt, all the way until whoops, he knows about overdosing, and you have to shift gears. Right?"

[[I have been rereading and have a lot of thoughts but hello yes this is the biggest one, Mewtwo biggest scumread now, I still think we should lynch Chappie today but I'm gunning for Mewtwo tomorrow if I live, or if not I dearly hope someone else will do it for me]]

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
[[As I am aware of the deadline comin' in quick, I'll go ahead and follow the herd for now. If there's any downside to voting Chappie out, it doesn't seem to matter as the good as showing off their alignment.]]

Fusion flinched, ruining his meditation. So much for unbending focus... "...Really? The one who hasn't done anything?" He took a glance at the Luxio, off on her own, quiet as a still night. Er, quieter than that, she wasn't making cricket sounds or owl hoots... or soaring through the skies at the speed of sounds, going against the still night thi-- Alright, fuck it, the mental train has been thoroughly derailed. The moment was over. Whatever memory Fusion was pulling at was lost, gone, reduced to ashes.

"I... don't..." Fusion sucked his teeth, growling. "I already voted someone out, there's no reason to be torn up on this, but... at least Lance was quiet and didn't do anything. Chappie... at least tried to do right. Killing a potential innocent..." Wasn't anything new to him, but... "...Fine, if everyone's on board with it, I am too."

He faced away from the silent feline and shut his eyes, going back to his meditating. "I vote for Chappie..."

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
"You're not just not saying it, you're saying someone somehow circumnavigated your protection. The fuck's that supposed to mean, if you actually knew it was overdose the whole time? Obviously you did guess he was a healer too. So why wouldn't you just fucking say what you were thinking?

"I'll tell you why: you're the fucking mafia doctor. You thought Wes didn't know about overdoses, and that only you had been told that. Hence getting in there, all ready to get down and bond with him over how you both failed to protect Arctozolt, all the way until whoops, he knows about overdosing, and you have to shift gears. Right?"

Wes felt a chill run down his spine. This raging alcoholic actually made a good point...he fixed Mewtwo with a burning stare. Was it possible that Mewtwo had been playing him for a fool all this time?

“Explain yourself,” he snarled. “Now.”

[[OKAY HELLO I’ve been sitting on info all this time because I didn’t know we were okay to outright talk about PM info stuff SO:

I was given a choice between Doctor and Firefighter, but would not be able to use either of those abilities until N2. I chose doctor. This does strengthen Nefari’s claim of being a Firefighter as well, so I’m moving her to soft town in my reads.]]

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
"Hold the fuck on," Dave snarled suddenly. "If you figured that as soon as you saw Wes's reaction, then why didn't you fucking say so?"

[[I have been rereading and have a lot of thoughts but hello yes this is the biggest one, Mewtwo biggest scumread now, I still think we should lynch Chappie today but I'm gunning for Mewtwo tomorrow if I live, or if not I dearly hope someone else will do it for me]]
That's.
Actually a really good point.
I still think Mafia bus driver + doc would be pretty OP. (Maybe maybe maybe maybe key word maybe possible with a smallered scumteam.)
So
Is Equi scum and Chappie town?
Would it really be better to keep on Chappie if that's the case?

I kinda want to switch to Equi with what Free pointed out. Nobody's really stepped up for Chappie, and with one scumbuddy down, you'd kinda expect to see someone doing that if Chappie's scum.

Guess I wouldn't exactly be stopping the roll of today's mostly agreed wagon I did so I will.
Unvote: Chappie.
Vote: Equi

elyvorg

somewhat backwards
Pronouns
she/they
Tefiren had come all the way down from his tree and back into the group at the Human with the stick's request, because she'd said it would help. He'd even made a big point of how everyone could ask him things so that they could understand why he was right about this. And... nobody was bothering to do so. Nobody cared enough about what he had to say.

He slunk back away from them and went to sit against the trunk of his tree, in the shade of the branches (or what would be shade if this place had a sun), still visible enough that someone could come and ask him if they really did want to. None of them looked like they were going to. Some of them had said they were doing this not even because they thought the thunder cat was a Mafia but just because they wanted to get information from seeing if she was or not.

Tefiren realised he'd happened to be staring at the small fox in particular and turned his gaze away from her.

He huffed. Getting rid of a swapper only because it'd give them "information" and not because he was right to call them Mafia. This felt annoyingly familiar.

[[

Obviously, this time we actually will get some pretty significant information based on Chappie's flip (whereas last game's buslynch we totally didn't, I stand by that, grumble). Still, it worries me that, if Chappie does flip innocent, the information we get from that will basically just serve to make several of our leads evaporate. I better be right about this.

(I think that's kind of the thing that bugs me about people wanting to do this just for information, rather than primarily because they believe she's more likely than not to be mafia. If she flips mafia, we'll have a lot of leads to work with tomorrow, but if she flips town, we won't actually get that much! If you really think she's most likely to be town, lynching her won't be helpful, and you should be trying to vote for someone who you think might be mafia instead.)

[[First of all, someone asked who I targeted on the first 2 nights. I was not allowed to begin using my role until N2 for....reasons, I guess? I don't really know, perhaps to prevent too many healer clashes too soon in the game? I'm not sure. So the only player I have been able to target so far was Arctozolt last night. @Equitial I'm tagging you because I can't find your specific post to quote and I don't have the energy to dig for it, BUT I do agree that we should keep our targets random for now, since I can't yet confirm your innocence and you can't confirm mine.]]
This is... hm.

The only reason anyone would have to find an excuse to avoid giving night actions in a fakeclaim is to avoid being contradicted by watcher/tracker results, but, like, if you're mafia, you actually are a doctor and could just claim whatever your actual targets were. So I'm inclined to believe you're telling the truth here, because making up something like this would just make you look more suspicious if it wasn't actually true. But I also can't help but think that it's strange that Negrek would make the two town doctors asymmetrical like this. Maybe? but.

This reminds me of a thing that happened near the end of last game, where windskull claimed bulletproof because they really were mafia bulletproof, and they were counterclaimed by the town's one-shot bulletproof, qva. qva then lied about an extra power her role did not actually have, presumably to try and bait windskull into saying they had the same thing and catch them out, but windskull stuck to their bases, because their claim was the truth. And then in the end, the innocent bulletproof and mafia bulletproof powers /were/ asymmetrical but in a different way, in that the innocent one was one-shot and the mafia one was unlimited until it inherited the killing power.

So I can't help but think that the only reason there'd be asymmetry in two doctors' powers like this would be because one of them is mafia. And I feel like that'd be more likely to be the nonstandard one. Not necessarily! Maybe Negrek really did just do that with two innocent doctors. Or maybe the nonstandard one is actually the townie. But just. Hmm.

---

And now for some very stream-of-consciousness semi-tired rambling about my reads, without having actually gone back and done a big reread of anyone's posts. Time's getting short and I'm tired and I'll do that overnight instead. It's not urgent anyway; we know who we're lynching today.
Mechanically confirmed
Dave
  • Guys, he is, ever since Arctozolt flipped innocent and confirmed Lexx was cop. Lexx personally vouched that Dave was not rolestopped or jailed. This unambiguously means Lexx targeted Dave and got a result. The result was clearly innocent based on where Lexx put Dave on his readlists. There is no question of this.

Hard town (okay I got rid of the Medium Town pile again it's just this now)
Nefari
  • The usual. Still believe the roleclaim wouldn't have been faked. She seemed genuinely interested in getting our input on which role to pick today. Haven't seen much from her otherwise but no reason not to feel good about her.
Mewtwo*
  • Still getting a generally good vibe from his posts. His reasoning for the pretend-to-be-bulletproof gambit that he explained to me seems genuine and not something a mafioso would think up to do as a cover when most people wouldn't even notice it. With an asterisk because of our doctors may well be mafia, and since I've been trying to tunnel less on Wes, I want to keep my mind open to the possibility that it could be Mewtwo instead. But if I had to pick a doctor to lynch, it definitely wouldn't be them.
  • (Tefiren disagrees with me on this now and doesn't trust them any more after Lexx's prank. Good thing I'm not listening to Tefiren here.)
  • ...OKAY I wrote this before seeing Dave's thought, HMMM will need some time to digest that, for now consider that Not Taken Into Account in this read shown here.
Miyako
  • No, seriously, guys, it's not her, I just have this hunch, okay. Her tone reads to me as completely genuinely trying her best to learn and get better at the game and contribute ideas, and none of you have given me any solid basis for why there's anything scummy about her posts. What meaningful kind of mafia agenda could presenting ideas where the logic doesn't always quite hold up possibly have? Especially since almost nobody else is listening to her and taking her ideas seriously anyway. I understand her being on people's null piles if they're not getting the indescribable sense of sincerity that I'm getting from her, but she is not scummy. (And I promise I am trying not to be biased by the fact that Tefiren is accidentally bonding with her, shush)

Soft town
Alexander, Kyros
  • Is it weird that these two feel kind of like an interchangable amorphous blob to me? I get pretty much the same kind of vaguely-towny vibe and tone from both their posting and can't really think of anything that differentiates them from each other in my mind (except who they voted for yesterday). I can't really think of any specific ideas either of them have contributed, either, off the top of my head. That's not to imply they're working together or anything! They're both just really... null-in-a-towny-way, somehow.
  • ...I should probably go and reread their posts, and also not be writing readlists while tired. But.
Altair
  • Feels similar to Alexander/Kyros, but in like, a more distinct way? Like, I can remember liking specific posts of his and approving of some of his theorycrafting. I've realised that zeroing in on him as totally one of the mafia, basically just because of the circumstantial voting thing from yesterday and the Chappie softclaim coincidence that isn't even as much of a coincidence as I thought, was unwarranted.
  • I'd be inclined to feel fairly good about him for now - might have even been put above the other two on the soft-town roster - but at the same time, yesterday's voting business is still that hook that could just maybe possibly be something that I don't want to completely let go of and forget.
  • And I'm not sure I like his post in which he voted for Namco just now. On the one hand, I totally understand wanting to pressure Namco to get anything at all out of them. On the other hand, since we are very obviously 100% lynching Chappie today, Namco has no need to actually come out and defend themselves based on one lone vote that clearly won't lead to a lynch, and so trying this isn't going to change that. Can't help but feel like it could be a distraction tactic to avoid having to actually express any opinions about the case against Chappie.
  • I'd be interested in hearing why Dragonfree is side-eyeing him other than yesterday's voting.

Null
Wes
  • I really do want to try and give him the benefit of the doubt and imagine he might be innocent. I am getting a townier vibe from his posts today, now that he's been talking about some things a bit more generally instead of coming in to do some very specific plays and then leave. But I just. There's several things about his plays that would fit as having had mafia intent, even though it's still at least equally possible that his intentions for all those things were genuine and harmless, and I can't quite let go of that.
  • If we start to become sure there's a mafia doctor, I'm much more willing to lynch him than Mewtwo. [WAS, this was before what Dave pointed out about Mewtwo.] I do not know what to make of the no-actions-until-N2 thing, but I can't help but feel like this could only make him less likely to be on our side than the one who works like a normal doctor is expected to.
Cold Fusion
  • Haven't see much from him, obviously. What little I've seen seems like he's trying to get a grasp on the situation and catch up and feels decently towny, but I'd like to see more before I make a proper read.

Cautious
"Braixen"
  • Have seen even less from him. He asked for some clarification on things and thanked me when I gave a mechanical summary, then disappeared. Could also still be trying to digest the whole thread and figure out what's going on without having said as much about it as Fusion; wouldn't blame him. If Chappie's mafia, we'll have a mechanical reason to suspect him a little, but I at least want to give him the chance to actually participate and show us more before we go after him just for that. That'd feel mean. Again, Espeon, my sympathies for you having arrived in the game to find yourself already in this situation, that's gotta be rough.
Namco
  • Same reasons as anyone else, but honestly, unless pushing to lynch them tomorrow is going to get them to come out of hiding and give us something, I'm not necessarily that interested in lynching them compared to the option of looking into some of the others. I'll happily vote for them if that's the consensus we land on, but, can't help but feel like that'd be a waste of a day when we could be lynching a more active mafia member, if we judge it right?
  • Like, I also can't help but feel like, if they are in fact innocent, they're going to end up serving as a convenient scapegoat for some mafia members to push the heat on for a day in order to buy more time for themselves. Though I suppose that in itself would tell us something, once they flip.

Suspicious
Chappie
  • We're lynching her today, there's no more reason to discuss my read on her. I've explained elsewhere at length the mechanical reasons why she is significantly more likely than not to be guilty. Tefiren and I are still sad that several other people do not seem to care nearly as much about these mechanical deductions and might not actually be lynching her if she were still playing the game.
]]

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
[[I was already feeling a good bit lot less trusting of Mewtwo before I got to that on my read, so maybe if I'm being way overconfident there, it's because I was already starting to side-eye them a bit. Main reasons I noted down:

- Mewtwo's softclaim from D1 was something I'd been wanting to look at again, so it was nice to see elyvorg ask about it. Mewtwo's explanation isn't completely implausible but it just felt kind of flaily? Just, oh, I don't think doctors are that useful, and uh I just didn't realize actually trying to get doctors not to target me was actually a worse idea. This was kind of the spark at me wanting to look into Mewtwo better
- Mewtwo agreed with Nefari wanting to vote out Jesse at the beginning before everyone else pointed out the flavor wasn't a great way to identify the arsonist, which in hindsight is honestly kind of an odd thing for an experienced player to jump on like that?
- Mewtwo immediately assumed Tefiren was bulletproof when he did the softclaim gambit - very circumstantial, and elyvorg didn't really choose to interpret this as too suspect at the time, but definitely a case of not even thinking about any alternative explanations for Tefiren knowing the kill.
- Mewtwo and Alexander in particular put active pressure on Arctozolt to not just spill what Lexx's role was but how they knew - something town actually fairly definitively wouldn't want public but the mafia definitely would. (And they did end up revealing the how, which is why they're dead now.)
- Mewtwo also voted for Arctozolt; granted, this was ostensibly based on a misunderstanding of the Jesse/Dave/Lexx exchange, which is fair, but nonetheless.
- Mewtwo's D1 reads had Lusamine as town (soft), based on very little - the only person who actively townread her.]]

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
[[
still tired, so no RP, but better respond to Dragonfree. I bit hard to organize, but
  • you'll notice that Wes didn't come right out and claim overdose either, which actually leads until which I didn't claim overdose.
  • I didn't know 100% sure that Wes was distraught because he was the Healer, because he didn't outright claim. That was just my first thought. If it was possible he wasn't the Doctor, I wasn't going to outright say everything, because I didn't see any purpose in letting scum know that Overdose was in play. For instance, they could put roleblocking Doctors out of play, because that just nulls overdose chance
  • honestly, this is trickier because this was in RP, which is generally harder for me to write, especially when I'm getting tired like I am toward EoD/SoD. but I was actually "quibbling" on what word I would actually use for "circumnavigate", because again I wasn't sure 100% that. Like, my exact wording above. However, in my credit I listed "Abra (the busdriver), Wes, and a Vig" together because either one of those could actually be what was happening.
You thought Wes didn't know about overdoses, and that only you had been told that
  • wait, why would only I have known this?? I'm confused on this point--wouldn't this just be general doctor thing?
  • (would Mewtwo really have bonded with a *human* if it was just a shared failed heal? I thought being all sentimental for the overdose was a character stretch >.>
In general, I think my biggest defense is that Mewtwo wouldn't be dramatic over shared fail Healer IC, and I didn't want to at first claim overdose because I didn't know 100% Wes was Doctor and thus didn't wait to reveal the overdose to everyone

(sorry if this is unclear. you may ask to expand because I'll try to be around until EoD because I don't wanna be lynched *cry*)

]]

elyvorg

somewhat backwards
Pronouns
she/they
[[OKAY so that whole readpost was done without taking into account Dave's sus on Mewtwo and Wes having claimed that he could have chosen firefighter instead. I believe Wes now, that seems too weird a thing to fake, and also with the sus on Mewtwo everything is lining up. I doubt such a half-and-half role would be a mafia thing.

(The only question is, why have a mafia doctor who can heal from the start if the town doctor isn't going to be able to help you overdose anyone until N2? Maybe Mewtwo lied about their actions on N0 and N1 as cover? Maybe there is another town doctor who's keeping quiet? Maybe Mewtwo really is the regular town doctor and Dave's thinking is off-base? Hmmmm I am too tired for all the brain this requires.)

[[
- Mewtwo's D1 reads had Lusamine as town (soft), based on very little - the only person who actively townread her.]]
Huh, maybe Mewtwo being mafia would explain why they randomly started gunning for Lusamine at the beginning based on nothing in a way that they clearly didn't intend to go anywhere - to try and make people feel like they weren't associated, in case Lusamine ever flipped mafia first?]]

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
[[
I don't think you should not vote me or anything because my brain's a little mushy inconveniently. But if you want to go on this track could you please put your big claims against me in a very clear, very organized list, like I did with my bulletpoints? I think this is a compromise between my brain mush and not having to hinder play for a last minute sus.

(lol this is kind of fun I have to admit. what a thrill)
]]

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
[[
To be be clear I think I *can* still defend myself currently, just a little more organization would be helpful in letting me sort things through
]]

Top Bottom