• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[INNOCENTS WIN] First Anniversary Fanfic Mafia - Game Thread

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
[[

Diyem liked Dave. Dave spoke sense. Dave hated everyone. Diyem hated everyone. Therefore, Diyem hated Dave a little less.

But this was not the time nor the place to express such opinions.

"I agree that sitting by is not... desirable to me. But the information gained is not from what we are saying here, beyond putting the pressure on others to speak their mind. The real information comes from actions that we can perform at night. But, returning to pressuring others..."

He turned and leaned down toward Lauchs. "You. Haven't. Answered. Me."

]]

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
OOC/Translation: We will have at least *something* to go off tomorrow. Killing now would more likely hurt us than help us by numbers alone. Also, pushing to increase the death count so early’s a bit... well, makes it seem like you want to kill an innocent.
I’m leaning toward lynching no-one.
Although... even if they do... hang on. So, we're statistically likelier to hit an innocent at this point in the game, aren't we? And I'm getting the sense that a lot of us have roles. So, then, while there's a chance to hit the strongman (which may or may not mean double innocent casualties)... aren't we likelier to take out an innocent role? Which in turn would assign it to the backup, thus preventing said backup from becoming a strongman anyway?
Outside of self interest I think day killing R1 is unwise with no kill the night prior, *especially* now
((OOC: I feel like people are severely underestimating the power of two free nights of power roles working their magic.))
Here's my list of pro-no lynch people. Prepare for me to begin looking into all of you.

kyeugh

you gotta feel your lines
Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
He turned and leaned down toward Lauchs. "You. Haven't. Answered. Me."
[[ "Perhaps that is an implicit answer of its own, no? If I have not placed a vote on you, then I have not placed a vote on you, though you seem quite fired up by the idea despite your advocacy of a lynch on someone else. Ohoho..." The duck extended a feather and tapped his beak thoughtfully. "To get the egg rolling, I shall place my vote on Chibi for now, and see where it takes us. Nothing personal, little friend, but I think the sword must fall somewhere."]]

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
[[

Diyem blinked several times. "...What."

He was ready to have a spear-shaped leek piercing through his chest, and suddenly the duck is staring at the Pikachu? Of all things? Was he just backing off because he pressed? It was suspicious that Lauchs had accused him, only to never mention it again despite constantly being prodded for the answer... But then to redirect?

"...Of--of course," Diyem said, backing off. "...I was... merely... pointing out that you... hadn't..."

He needed coffee.

]]

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
[[
After the Sir-fetch'd cast his vote, Jen rolled his eyes. He didn't even offering reasoning for voting for the weird-looking Pikachu (who seemed plenty reasonable).

"I vote no-jail. You're just voting at random, in the best case scenario.

]]

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
"I find it ironic you call me obtuse, you... strange, little mouse." Diyem glanced at Desper. "When ultimately I am the one who can react to new information."
[[Desper bowed deeply t'the point he had a paw on his hat'n holdin' him up. "M'pologies, Sours. Musta been yer species, all covered'n angles while I," he stood up to wave a paw over his form, "ain't nothin' but round'n 'dorable. Well," he rubbed his chin, narrowing his eyes at Diyem's midsection. "I s'pose y'gots 'nuff tub to be well rounded."]]

OOC/Translation: eh, just felt like he'd react this way. Nothing meta here.

kyeugh

Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
You're just voting at random, in the best case scenario.
[[ "Indeed!" His wide smile indicates that he doesn't detect the implicit criticism whatsoever. ]]

Sike Saner

fundead
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. glalie
Here's my list of pro-no lynch people. Prepare for me to begin looking into all of you.

Amusingly, what you quoted from me in that post was actually closer to being pro-lynching in context. The idea going around at the time was that maybe we shouldn't lynch because we might hit the mafia strongman, which in turn might lead to an innocent backup inheriting mafia strongman status*. That quote was me considering that the above scenario wasn't likely enough to justify a no-lynch in and of itself.

At the time I posted that, I was a fencesitter. Which, technically I still am--but I will admit, I am leaning somewhat toward no-lynch currently, if only out of lack of compelling evidence to guide my hand toward who to lynch.

*The whole "an innocent backup could become a mafia strongman" possibility's been pretty much debunked at this point, and for that reason, I'm no longer considering anything to do with it in my decisions moving forward. Also, I was doing some bad math during that period. For some reason I thought lynching mafia strongman + losing an innocent backup to defection = losing two innocents. So yeah, gj, past me. :V

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
[[

Diyem's tail-flame glowed a dangerous yellow. Fat? Was he just called fat?

"Regardless of what happens here," Diyem said, "when this game is over... your days are numbered. I will find a way."

]]

Nothing meta here. Onto actual meta...

[[

Diyem huffed and turned his back to Desper. "For now, I grudgingly vote in favor of no jail for tonight as well. If we have ample information roles, then we must wait for them to come forward when the time is right. Even a single confirmed assailant would be useful for us. However..." He glared around. "I am not keen on keeping this passive position for long. When more information arises, and yet we do nothing, we will soon have no choice but to gamble or fall."

]]

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
[[ "Indeed!" His wide smile indicates that he doesn't detect the implicit criticism whatsoever. ]]

[[
Jen stared at the duck. Did he really do it at random or did he actually want to jail an innocent person? Was he joking? Was he just stupid? Jen eventually decided just to walk away from the area. He had cast his vote. He would keep listening to see if a Mafia did something really stupid and exposed themself but he doubted his mind would change.
]]

For the record, this is just IC stuff. Not saying I think you're actually scummy for your post.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
"Regardless of what happens here," Diyem said, "when this game is over... your days are numbered. I will find a way."
[["How's noon sound, Sours?" Desper chuckled. "Seems we've met'n the middle. I'm all for gamblin' once the river's dealt, but I only got two cards'n m'paw f'now, 'n' we ain't playin' blackjack."]]
OOC/Translation: Yeah, I mean, once we've got more info it's worth trying something.

kyeugh

Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
[[

Diyem blinked several times. "...What."

He was ready to have a spear-shaped leek piercing through his chest, and suddenly the duck is staring at the Pikachu? Of all things? Was he just backing off because he pressed? It was suspicious that Lauchs had accused him, only to never mention it again despite constantly being prodded for the answer... But then to redirect?

"...Of--of course," Diyem said, backing off. "...I was... merely... pointing out that you... hadn't..."

He needed coffee.

]]
[[ “Not terribly complex, my high-temperature friend,” Lauchs said, snacking on a leek. “I was not casting suspicion on you. More poking you gently to see how you reacted—and you reacted quite poorly, I fear.” He shrugged. “I don’t think much of it, in truth, and am content to put it behind me. Pray, what changed your mind about jailing today?” ]]

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
[[

Smoke left Diyem's nostrils in a concentrated stream. Then, he grunted. "The arguments of the others swayed me. We can give ourselves time to work their magic at night while we have a backup in play... hopefully. With so many of us, perhaps a game of caution, at least for tonight, is helpful."

]]

Starlight Aurate

Ad Jesum per Mariam | pfp by kintsugi
Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
[[

Diyem liked Dave. Dave spoke sense. Dave hated everyone. Diyem hated everyone. Therefore, Diyem hated Dave a little less.
[[Yami Bakura smirked. Perhaps Dave and Diyem hated others, but Yami Bakura hated them most. But he couldn't let them know that--he had to play off as if he were sweet, shy, and British, just like his host.

But this talk of no-lynching was not amusing for Yami Bakura. Wouldn't there be some bloodshed tonight?

"While I see the merit to waiting to gain information, waiting too long could prove fatal," he growled. "I second hanging someone--tonight. We need to begin eliminating people. Perhaps we were lucky last night that no one died, but we cannot count on that tonight. We need to take action."

He looked down at his Millennium Ring. If someone had another Millennium Item, he could engage in a battle of Ancient Egyptian Lazer Beams--but it seemed no one else had any. Ever since he had transported to this strange place, the Millennium Ring had been acting conspicuously like a Millennium Eye...]]

elyvorg

somewhat backwards
Pronouns
she/they
[[Dave stared at Tefiren. "Why would you want to? Do you enjoy having random giggling incorporeal shitheads fucking with your life for fun and profit? Was this Archopy's idea of fun back in one hundred million BC? Because if so I'm starting to see why they went extinct."]]

[[Tefiren tilted his head, not enjoying this conversation nearly as much as he'd been expecting to. "But we can't not play the game, so, so... why wouldn't you want to have fun with it? If you don't, then how are you ever going to--"

He froze as the meaning of the rest of the Human's words sunk in. "Archopy... Archopy went what?"

Extinct. No more of them left. And this Human was talking like that had already happened, like he knew. But that... that couldn't be right. None of Them could catch Tefiren, not ever.

"...You don't make any sense," Tefiren concluded, retracting his head back into the boughs of his tree. He had no idea how that messy Human had ever managed to win his previous game while spouting nonsense like that, but he obviously wasn't worth talking to after all.]]

(yessss Dave and Tefiren obliviously jabbing at each other's issues; this conversation probably technically finished ages ago before all this actual strategic discussion began but I do not care I had to RP this)
[["So if we get rid of someone, and it's not one of Them"--(it was possible to catch Them in this game, just by talking! This was so bizarre, but so exciting, too)--"then won't that be such a waste of whatever tricks they might have? We might just end up helping Them by doing that." He chuckled at the ridiculousness of the thought, and then kept talking before he could think about just how ridiculous that would be.

"And if the person we try and get rid of tries to make us keep them around by telling us they have a useful trick, that might waste it too, right? We don't want Them to find out what we have hidden under our leaves. Or the person could just be one of Them, telling us They're useful so we'll leave Them alone, and we wouldn't be able to tell. Isn't it silly to take a risk like that right now, when we're winning?"]]

If you're making a list, you can add me to it. Offering this up just in case anyone ends up thinking I'm trying to take advantage of being missed here to slip under the radar.

[[ "Perhaps that is an implicit answer of its own, no? If I have not placed a vote on you, then I have not placed a vote on you, though you seem quite fired up by the idea despite your advocacy of a lynch on someone else. Ohoho..." The duck extended a feather and tapped his beak thoughtfully. "To get the egg rolling, I shall place my vote on Chibi for now, and see where it takes us. Nothing personal, little friend, but I think the sword must fall somewhere."]]

[["The Pikachu? But he's the one making the most sense out of everyone! We all have so many tricks! We're not just going to sit around waiting for Them to pick us off!

"I still think we shouldn't get rid of anyone today. Sure, maybe someone else will learn the tricks we would have lost if we get rid of someone who isn't one of Them. But... that'd be no fun for the person we get rid of, not if it happened when they hadn't even done anything stupid to deserve it... would it? They wouldn't get to use their tricks, even if someone else learned them."]]

(hello and welcome to Tefiren Cannot Comprehend That An Innocent Still Wins When Dead)

(and also Tefiren vaguely awakening to the concept of empathy as he's started to think about working together more)

[["But even if the rest of you do want to get rid of someone, you should at least pick one of the ones who's making less sense than the Pikachu."

]]

It's not just Tefiren; I'm also getting the strongest innocent read from Chibi Pika out of everyone right now, especially given that they helped win last year's game through copious use of power roles.

I'm less sure than Tefiren about no-jail now (especially after the backup was brought up), but since I'm still pretty undecided, I'm mostly just going with what he'd prefer, even if his reasons aren't the most based in actual game theory.

It is relevant to remember, though, that we might not necessarily even have a backup at all.

kyeugh

Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
[[ Lauchs bobbed his head to the side, considering the strange lizard’s words. “I agree the the pikachu speaks sense,” he conceded. “But I think most of us seem vaguely sensible so far, no? We’ve only spoken at length of mechanical matters, and I believe a person could reasonably adopt either position regardless of their allegiance.” He looks troubled. “Truly, I reached my decision at random, but only because I have no other way of choosing where to place my vote. If you have an alternative I will be glad to consider it, but abstention is not the way for me, I’m afraid.” ]]

i’m absolutely not married to a chibi lynch and selfishly i kind of want to see more chibi rp this game, lol. but yeah, it was pretty much a random choice. not really sure who would be “better” but i’m all ears.

still opposed to no-lynching on principle, but won’t resist if everyone decides it’s the right thing to do... it just seems to me like it’s the easy but ineffective decision and haven’t seen a really compelling reason to go for it against my intuition.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
The Pikachu?
[[Desper gave a concerned, confused gaze towards Chibi. “I ain’t e’er seen a chu ‘ more feathers’n a patch,” he said. “But wh’ever the yungin’ is, I’d second not killin’ him. Or anyone.” He glared at Yami. “Yet. Y’seem the type to duel the dealer ‘cuz ‘e won the push. We ain’t even flipped ‘ur cards yet, sonny.”]]

Translation: Dealers winning a push is a thing in blackjack, a cardgame Desper’s referred to a few times where you start with one card down, one up. False dealing/cheating was a common reason for duels of honor. So, Desper’s saying that Yami’s challenging someone to a duel for cheating before he’s even lost the hand. I translated this because I felt clever about it and wanted someone besides me to appreciate it, heck you

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
is the current thinking that the backup would absorb the power of a lynched townie, too? or only a nightkilled one?
My thinking was either one.

Top Bottom