• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Canon Breakrooms

Meridian

local liminal entity
Pronouns
any/all
A Canon Breakroom is a trope some roleplayers and writers do for fun. It often consists of characters 'offscreen' interacting similar to actors or office workers outside the scope of canon, and often breaking character. Sometimes talking about how's the family, or critiquing the script or pacing of events.

Who here thinks of these and their characters? I've rarely done them for fun with a headworld.
(I don't really know if there's an actual trope name for this, but this is what I remember of the concept)

StellarWind

Biomechanical Abomination
Pronouns
Any
I often find that usually in my works, most of the absurdities and fourth-wall shattering commentary either happens on-screen or in my characters' minds as part of their narrative voice. However as my sense of humour often leans on taking a situation and just rolling with it to the most absurd conclusion, I have no doubt that I've done this at least a few times with characters non-canonically remarking on situations they might not have witnessed personally, or on things that could be of interest to them even though they aren't a part of the setting.

I feel that this might also make a good tool for getting into character's heads and exploring them as people rather than just as narrative devices for a particular scene (especially those particular pesky characters that suddenly take on a life of their own and drift quite a bit from how you initially pictured them when you first started writing them) - or for AU formation in case the characters interacting in the "breakroom" as it were would not likely meet otherwise...

Top Bottom