• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Canalave Archives

Introduction & Catalogue

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
ETzN84DU0AEiHXe.jpg

"Right this way..."

You follow the Canalave librarian through its halls of books, past its tales of grand adventure and ancient history; past ancient tomes and weathered scrolls.

Finally, you reach a set of simple oaken double doors. The librarian leads you inside and beckons grandly.

Before you lies a surprisingly plain yet homely room with a reading desk and chair. Surrounding the room are display cases and shelves, upon which various books of all kinds of been meticulously placed.

"Welcome to the Canalave Archives. You'll find that we have many books on different topics. Some of these are one-of-a-kind scrolls found and preserved, while others are essays and parts of scientific journals awaiting publication. Please, feel free to read whatever catches your eye..."

XXX
Archive Catalogue
1. The Origin of the Modern Journey
2. The Lonely Pokemon
3. Our World and Aura

4. Gift of the Renegade [In Transit]

Welcome to the Canalave Archives! This is a project that at the time of writing, has been on my mind for... * checks watch * three or four weeks? The concept came to me as I was writing down some ideas I had for pokemon lore. It would be a shame to write all this and not have an excuse to share it. Thus I decided it would be fun to present all my various worldbuilding ideas as in-universe stories, fragments of stories or scientific essays on aspects of the pokemon world.

It should be noted that I am choosing this format to share it to mantain a loose sense of ambiguity or mystery. While everything you read has some truth to it, its possible aspects may be changed or tweaked. Nontheless, you can assume the gist of all of these writings are still broadly canon to my writings. Or at least, canon insofar as these texts and similar ones exist in my setting.

I have several pieces planned, but as not to overwhelm, I am choosing to add them over time.

At this time, I'm not seeking critical feedback beyond any grammar/spelling quirks you catch, but I am very interested in engaging with readers! I welcome any thoughts, speculation or just general feelings you have about the works. How do they make you feel? Do they seem like silly folktales, or perhaps bogus science, or highly plausible? How might these compare to or contrast your ideas? Are they understandable, or does some aspect of them confuse you?

As long as you're respectful and interested, I am down to hear it! I also don't mind any memes or jokes too! Just lookin to share my ideas with everyone.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
The Origin of the Modern Journey

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum

h9MkaxzwyCBfEvu3G7LxDGggtdeqY6xf06JcEQMP-00.jpg

Our tale begins in Johto, centuries ago, during the time of the great towers. Though a peace existed between people and pokemon, there was no such peace between people themselves. This was a turbulent period of many skirmishes between small settlements and towns of the continent. During this time, the Two Towers of Johto tragically burned.

Some say that it was a result of the war, others contest it was an act of anger from the gods, striking at humankind, while others regard it as an act of nature itself. Regardless of why, the destruction of the towers that had stood for so many centuries; sparked something, particularly in the heart of a young wielder of Pokemon.

This young man was the son of a prominent town leader, left behind his home, vowing to try and bring peace to the region again. He brought with him only what he required, and his two loyal companions - A Kangaskhan, and a Rhyhorn.

For over a year, he traveled the wilds to each of the region's major settlements. At each town, he would meet their protector or leader and do some task to assist them as an act of goodwill. Heartened by this young diplomats' actions, the town leaders would provide a letter with their personal wax stamp seal as proof he’d earned their friendship.

One by one, through hardwork and perseverance, he won these leaders over, convincing them to cease fighting amongst each other. This journey also brought unforeseen benefits - fighting for sport helped pokemon grow stronger, and traveling the world broadened the horizons of the diplomat.

This act also sparked the leaders of other towns to send their own youth on such a journey, to learn about the other settlements and assist them, growing stronger in the process. In doing so, the future heirs to the towns learned a deep appreciation of the world and their fellow pokemon and humans.

And thus, the concept of the first Journey was born.

The tradition swiftly evolved. Encouraged by the results, the idea of taking a journey spread beyond just the children of the town's leaders, to all its residents as well. They would meet the leaders of other towns, and complete some task for them or challenge them in combat, and earn seals of approval.

As you can imagine, the concept further evolved from there. Instead of wax stamped letters, it became stamps, and then badges. It became popular not just for town leaders to travel, but for any young child, as every one who did often returned stronger, smarter, and better for it inside and out. Their pokemon were also tough and strong. Less need for actual tasks turned into gym tests so leaders could be sure those they gave their seal of approval to were sufficiently competent. And of course, people fought less, as they now had personal stakes and relationships with other towns.

The world grew safer for people and pokemon alike. Thus, children younger and younger undertook it, to gain valuable perspective when they were young, and set in their minds important principles. Other regions quickly followed suit as well, developing their own forms of journeys.

Nowadays, the modern journey isn't focused on diplomacy, but on one's self and discovery. Gym leaders are no longer the defacto leader of their town, but they are still looked up to as leaders nonetheless. And they often provide valuable insight and guidance to young challengers. And of course, gyms are no longer always the sole pursuit of a journey.

To this day, there stands a statue in the entrance to every gym, honoring the firm Diplomat, who brought peace to the region, and his loyal partners. It is believed the pokemon depicted isn’t an extinct one, but rather that the sculptor took inspiration from the diplomats partners who stood by his side until the end - Kangaskhan, Dragonite and Rhydon.

97bfd8bd6723a4a0e84015008146d0d8_400x400.jpeg

Last edited:
The Lonely Pokemon

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
1200px-Legends_Arceus_Hisui.png

One of the most intriguing mysteries of our world is not one of pokemon, but of ourselves - where did humans come from?

Scientists posit many theories. Some suggest we are a divergent branch of some pokemon who have now gone extinct and we have lost much of our pokemon-like strength and intellect. However, no such fossils have ever definitively confirmed a direct link to pokemon.

Others posit perhaps humans originate from a realm beyond our own. After all, there is a point of time beyond which no human remains have ever been discovered. Perhaps, given the mysterious powers at work in our world, some rift opened and allowed a new creature from another reality to enter this one. Though if this be the case, the question still remains - what world is that and where is it?

This mystery unfortunately remains unsolved. However, there is a rather amusing old legend which I will share with you today. It was a tale often told to the young children of ancient Hisui’s clans, not long after the age in which they came to a time of peace. It should be noted that as this is an oral legend, which was later recorded in script, there are some discrepancies between tales.

I will do my best to list such variations at the end of the tale.

With that said, allow me to present to you the tale of....

1679448734681.png

Once upon a time, in the age of the great alpha pokemon and plains wanderers, during the time of the tyrant king and the impenetrable shield; there was an egg. And from this egg hatched a pokemon. This pokemon was of no particular stature. It did not possess rarity, or unusual strength or size. Indeed this pokemon was quite ordinary.

After its birth, this pokemon was soon struck by a great loneliness. Though it had others of its kind, it found it never felt content, never found that it had a kindred spirit. Someone complementary to itself. It had no true companion in this world that it bonded with. So great was this pokemons loneliness, it vowed to embark on a journey to seek the companion that might help him.

So it was that this pokemon began to travel across the land, searching far and wide. It met many species, and braved many dangers with great difficulty. Many times it was forced to try to fight other pokemon who sought to drive it away. Rarely could it succeed in those fights, for in those times strength still reigned supreme and growing strong was no easy feat. Yet it persevered.

Then one day, this pokemon was driven deep into a cave as it sought to escape yet another enemy. On and on it ran, deeper into these caves, until it could run no further. At the bottom lay a large chamber with a lake. And in this chamber, it found a very strange group of beings.

Odd little dark shapes of all kinds, each possessing a single eye. They emerged, comforting the pokemon, dancing around it, and soon the pokemon found itself cheered up.

For many days the pokemon remained here in the company of the strange, unown Beings, playing and enjoying their company, and pleased because it had believed that perhaps these could be the friends they had sought for so long. The Beings themselves also shared the pokemon’s sense of loneliness, for they had only themselves for company here.

However, these strange Beings explained they would not always remain in this cave, and would return to their own home one day. This news troubled the pokemon, for it had still not found the companion it desired. Yet it determined it should enjoy the time it could with its newfound friends. Despite everything, the loneliness still remained that it could not deny. To the pokemon, it felt as if it longed for something it could not name.

The strange Beings sensed the pokemon’s loneliness and desire, and were determined to help it before they departed. So they gathered many of their kind one day and joined their powers together, and drew on the emotions this pokemon felt, reaching deep into the root of its desire. From this emotion and desire, the strange Beings were guided.

And that night, in that mysterious cave, a new word was born into this world.

1679448815466.png
[H U M A N]

However, these strange Beings understood that the one they had formed could not long remain in this world, for it was not Alive. Nor could it truly be the companion their friend sought, unless it could possess Choice. So the strange Beings made a pilgrimage to three ancient lakes of the land, calling upon the Spirits of the Lake. They beseeched these powerful spirits to grant them great aid and power.

After much deliberation, the Spirits agreed to lend their power, but only if it was promised this being would not possess the infinite power pokemon did. So it was agreed, and the pact made. The Spirits granted the Beings three fragments of their power and placed them into the HUMAN.

Knowledge, so that it could learn of the world and those in it.

Emotion, to feel and connect with all life.

Willpower, to act upon the world and have desire.

And thus was born “Human”.

So the lonely pokemon was brought before Human. Human met Pokemon, and for the first time since the Pokemon could remember, it did not feel lonely. Not only had it found friends in the strange Beings, but the Beings had selflessly given a great gift, a new life. A kindred spirit, yet one completely new to this world.

Human felt a deep kinship with this Pokemon, and they made a pact together.

To give each other life and love, protection and guidance. That in the face of danger, neither would ever be alone.

One to watch, one to strike.

One to defend, one to heal.

One to think, one to learn.

United, stronger.

It is said that from that moment, the destinies of Human and Pokemon became forever linked.

~~~~~​

That brings me to the end of my tale, dear reader. I hope you gained something of this, whether or not you believe it.

As I mentioned, there exist some variations of this tale. In some, the lonely wanderer is given a particular species, often one particular to the storyteller. Some list its species as one of the pokemon we today call ‘fossil pokemon’. Other times it is a species such as Weavile or Honchkrow. Or a particularly common pokemon, such as a Wurmple or Caterpie.

Other variations of this story give the titular pokemon no known family or even species of its own, and there is some speculation this was a reference to it being some entirely unique being.

Whatever the true origin of humanity is, there can be one truth we can have faith in.

The lives of humans and pokemon are undeniably linked. And for that, we can be most grateful.

Last edited:
Our World and Aura

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
dcnx88t-e31cb146-542e-4826-8335-c7ded40ad73e.png

(credit)

What is Aura?

Aura. Sometimes referred to as ‘life force’, aura is a mysterious binding energy that flows through all aspects of our universe. All things on our planet, both sentient and not, possess life energy. From the smallest tree to the largest mountain of rocks. Rivers and sky, fire and ice, even the tiniest drop of venom. The term life force is now known to be a slight misnomer. It can more accurately be called ‘life energy’.

While it was previously believed that many separate forms of energy exist in the world of pokemon, it has since been discovered that all energies share similar base properties. Thus it can be said that these energies are a form of Aura existing in various states. In this way, it is not unlike water, in that it can exist in different states with different properties.

Everything we see around us is actually derived from what can be thought of as Origin Auras; Aura in its purest form. A ‘true’ form. The campfire you set ablaze is actually a mere shadow of the true force of Fire itself. A freezing glacier is a pale imitation of the force of Ice. In this way, all of the natural world appears to be derived from the Origin Aura’s. Collectively, these states of Aura can be known as ‘Typed Aura’.

Thanks to newly discovered historical texts from ancient Hisui, it is believed that there are eighteen Origin Plates of Aura that exist, corresponding with the eighteen known classifications or ‘types’ of pokemon. These have been found in the forms of various plates, or fragments of plates. If the legends are to be believed, these plates once belonged solely to the one called ‘Firstborn’ or ‘Sinnoh’. These are also known as Creationary Aura. They are said to have their origin in the plates that formed from the chaos at the origin of all existence.

After careful studying of the ‘Infinity Energy’ said to be possessed by pokemon, it was found that the combination of all eighteen individual Auras form Infinity Energy when together.

While many mysteries still remain about Infinity Energy and Aura, it can conclusively be said for now that Aura is the living energy force that binds reality and all living and non-living things together in harmony.

Where Did Aura Come From?

Currently, Aura itself flows through every aspect of reality. However, recent studies suggest Aura did not always exist as a force freely found in the universe, accessible by pokemon. Countless hundreds of thousands of years ago, in the time of the first pokemon to roam the planet and the cosmos, pokemon were simply fantastical creatures, strange and wild beings gifted with unusual prowess or capability.

Through the use of fossil records, dating techniques, and various ancient texts, it is believed our world used to look much different than the one we know today. Pokemon lived as wild and fierce creatures, disconnected and driven by instinct and pursuit of power and survival.

Ancient pokemon did not possess the capability of drawing upon Aura. Instead, they relied upon the natural gifts possessed by their species. Charizard could breathe fire, bugs could use debilitating poisons, and others possessed claws or blades for combat. All pokemon were not equal, and the strongest ruled the weakest, and the weak could not surpass their limits.

The only exceptions were the supposed deity pokemon themselves, god-like creators and protectors of the world. As creations of Arceus, they possessed his ability to harness Aura and manipulate it, as well as utilize unique abilities to form and guide the natural world.

While the circumstances that led to the world becoming filled with aura are not conclusively known, many recent studies on aura have made excellent strides in understanding it better.

Currently, it is believed a single, cataclysmic event led to Aura suddenly emerging into our world and granting pokemon Infinity Energy. Studies suggest humans did not enter the picture until many generations after this.

Infinity Energy, Aura and its Uses

Any being possessing Infinity Energy possesses the ability to draw upon Typed Aura to form ‘techniques’ or moves, as they are commonly known. A technique is simply a stable and replicable channeling of Aura. While rare, it is known to be possible for pokemon to be able to create new techniques, through rigorous practice and training.

This Aura in turn reacts uniquely with the target via their Aural Alignment, either depleting it effectively or ineffectively, or neutrally. Among some trainers, these terms have become colloquially referred to as ‘super-effective’ or ‘not very effective’.

It is through these techniques that pokemon display the unique capability of engaging in a form of sparring wherein the possibility of grievous harm is unlikely or impossible. Groups of wild pokemon have been observed and recorded engaging in this form of combat predating even the appearance of humans. This combat is known to increase a pokemons capacity to wield and defend against aura based attacks, effectively making them stronger in combat.

One such infamous area is Clawmark Hill, located in Alola. Generations of pokemon appear to have used the location as a sacred battleground for ritual combat and tests of strength and willpower. There are many such similar areas across other regions both known and unknown to humans.

While pokemon have confirmed that they enjoy engaging in this form of combat, it has also been observed that pokemon bonded with a human frequently exceed their wild counterparts in both tactics and breadth of experience. It is believed to be one of the primary reasons many pokemon seek out a human partner, to increase their own skill and strength.

Through observation of trained and wild pokemon, it has been determined that the ‘faint’ state a pokemon enters is an entirely natural reflex triggered by a pokemon as a defense mechanism against over exertion. This state is confirmed through various pokemon and human sources to be non-harmful if adequate rest and food is provided after.

The Various States of Aura

As further research was done, a better understanding of the various distinct states of aura was learned. The ancient Legends of the pokemon world are believed to be the primary source of many of these forms, as well as certain other pokemon.

The first known form is Gaia energy, known more commonly in this era as Mega energy. This form of Aura is wielded by the Legends of Kalos history, Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde. It is said that in the moment between life and death, a pokemon can surpass its own limits. This power, which has been observed in Zygarde, can be harnessed by Pokemon to greatly enhance their power and sometimes physical appearance.

However, such power is known to be overwhelming for a pokemon to wield and requires a stabilizer in the form of a keystone, synergy stone, or other stabilizing element, often wielded by a human. Rowan, prominent professor in the Sinnoh region, and Sycamore, are currently studying the ties between Gaia and phenomena such as bond and synchro evolution.

The next form is known as Z-Aura or Ultra-Light, also referred to as Z-Energy. Ancient Alolan texts suggest the great Light Dragon (see footnote on Necrozma and its forms), granted this energy. It is known that tapping into this ‘light’ and directing it can affect or enhance a pokemons ‘techniques’. However, it is believed it is almost impossible for a Pokemon to direct or access this without the aid of a human.

Despite previous theories, Eternatus was recently proved to indeed be a pokemon. As such, it has been discovered it possesses the attributes of a pokemon, including Infinity Energy and the ability to manipulate Aura. Its particles have a unique effect on beings possessing Infinity Energy that is believed to be similar to Gaia energy, and also appears to have a distortional effect when used in large quantities. It has been dubbed Dyna Energy, and its effects are still being studied.

The final form of aura currently known is a strange phenomenon known as ‘terastalization’, which temporarily alters or enhances a pokemon’s internal Aural Alignment. Further studies are still being done on the origins and uses of this form of aura. At current, it is known that through the use of what appears to be crystallized energy, a pokemon can effectively shift its own Aura Alignment via manifesting this energy in the form of a sort of ‘shell’ around itself.

~~~​

Despite all the progress that has been made in the past century alone, much more is still being uncovered about the properties of Aura, Infinity Energy, and the world around us. Our understanding of it is constantly changing as Aura itself appears to shift and change in response to the world around us. As long as humans and pokemon continue to keep an open mind, the possibilities we can achieve are truly be infinite.

Last edited:

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Heya, I decided to go around on Week 1 to plug away at a few people from my hitlist, and this little bite-sized collection seemed interesting to me since the official fluff in Canalave Library in the games was always pretty interesting, so it’d be fun to see how you’d expand on it for a worldbuilding exercise.

I don’t really know what to expect from this series, but there’s one way to find out, so let’s just jump right into things here and find out:

Our tale begins in Johto, centuries ago, during the time of the great towers. Though a peace existed between people and pokemon, there was no such peace between people themselves. This was a turbulent period of many skirmishes between small settlements and towns of the continent. During this time, the Two Towers of Johto tragically burned.

Ah yes, the Sengoku Era analogue. Always good for a dash of intercommunal violence in a Japanese-themed region.

Some say that it was a result of the war, others contest it was an act of anger from the gods, striking at humankind, while others regard it as an act of nature itself. Regardless of why, the destruction of the towers that had stood for so many centuries; sparked something, particularly in the heart of a young wielder of Pokemon.

This… isn’t going to be the Veilstone swordsman, is it?
:copyber:

This young man was the son of a prominent town leader, left behind his home, vowing to try and bring peace to the region again. He brought with him only what he required, and his two loyal companions - A Kangaskhan, and a Rhyhorn.

Oh, phew. I was starting to get a bit worried there. Though Kangaskhan and Rhyhorn, huh? That’s definitely a very particular combination there.

For over a year, he traveled the wilds to each of the region's major settlements. At each town, he would meet their protector or leader and do some task to assist them as an act of goodwill. Heartened by this young diplomat’s actions, the town leaders would provide a letter with their personal wax stamp seal as proof he’d earned their friendship.

Ah yes, I see that we’ve got our precursors to modern badges there. Or at least I think that’s what this is given the title and premise of this entry.

One by one, through hardwork and perseverance, he won these leaders over, convincing them to cease fighting amongst each other. This journey also brought unforeseen benefits - fighting for sport helped pokemon grow stronger, and traveling the world broadened the horizons of the diplomat.

It’s a little nitpicky, but while I get that you don’t want to go full infodump with the antics of the ur-Trainer, I kinda wonder if two or three anecdotes still would’ve gone a long ways to making this a bit less vague and detached. Especially if those two or three anecdotes can similarly be taken as templates for various reasons why trainers might go on a journey in the modern day.

This act also sparked the leaders of other towns to send their own youth on such a journey, to learn about the other settlements and assist them, growing stronger in the process. In doing so, the future heirs to the towns learned a deep appreciation of the world and their fellow pokemon and humans.

Yeah, see above. Not that this isn’t a fascinating take behind the origins of a trainer journey. Though I wonder where the whole ‘Gym Circuit’ angle came into play.

The tradition swiftly evolved. Encouraged by the results, the idea of taking a journey spread beyond just the children of the town's leaders, to all its residents as well. They would meet the leaders of other towns, and complete some task for them or challenge them in combat, and earn seals of approval.

Ah yes, speak of the devil there.

As you can imagine, the concept further evolved from there. Instead of wax stamped letters, it became stamps, and then badges. It became popular not just for town leaders to travel, but for any young child, as every one who did often returned stronger, smarter, and better for it inside and out. Their pokemon were also tough and strong. Less need for actual tasks turned into gym tests so leaders could be sure those they gave their seal of approval to were sufficiently competent. And of course, people fought less, as they now had personal stakes and relationships with other towns.

I find it a bit ironic that as relationships between these towns became less combative, the Gym Circuit became increasingly centered around trial by combat. Almost as if it’s a surrogate outlet for that violence. Not sure if it was a deliberate thing or not, but it is something that came to mind while reading this.

The world grew safer for people and pokemon alike. Thus, children younger and younger undertook it, to gain valuable perspective when they were young, and set in their minds important principles. Other regions quickly followed suit as well, developing their own forms of journeys.

This is another spot that IMO would benefit from having more concrete anecdotes so this feels less like a hazy generality.

Nowadays, the modern journey isn't focused on diplomacy, but on one's self and discovery. Gym leaders are no longer the de facto leader of their town, but they are still looked up to as leaders nonetheless. And they often provide valuable insight and guidance to young challengers. And of course, gyms are no longer always the sole pursuit of a journey.

To this day, there stands a statue in the entrance to every gym, honoring the firm Diplomat, who brought peace to the region, and his loyal partners. It is believed the pokemon depicted isn’t an extinct one, but rather that the sculptor took inspiration from the diplomats partners who stood by his side until the end - Kangaskhan, Dragonite and Rhydon.

Oh, so that’s the explanation for those hodgepodge statues that are always around in Gyms. It really does look like a fusion of those three Pokémon, huh?

Though good stuff. I kinda wish it was a bit longer, but what’s there isn’t bad at all.

The Lonely Pokemon

One of the most intriguing mysteries of our world is not one of pokemon, but of ourselves - where did humans come from?

Five bucks says that it was a drunken bet between Legendaries. :V

Scientists posit many theories. Some suggest we are a divergent branch of some pokemon who have now gone extinct and we have lost much of our pokemon-like strength and intellect. However, no such fossils have ever definitively confirmed a direct link to pokemon.

I mean, there is that one folktale from Canalave Library that implied that humans used to be close enough to intermarry eat at the same tables with Pokémon, so…
:wellyousee:

Others posit perhaps humans originate from a realm beyond our own. After all, there is a point of time beyond which no human remains have ever been discovered. Perhaps, given the mysterious powers at work in our world, some rift opened and allowed a new creature from another reality to enter this one. Though if this be the case, the question still remains - what world is that and where is it?

Ah yes, cue the theme song for this theory:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePypW6n1egQ

Since hey, it would explain a few things about there being a lack of fossil record for humans having evolved from Pokémon. o<o
This mystery unfortunately remains unsolved. However, there is a rather amusing old legend which I will share with you today. It was a tale often told to the young children of ancient Hisui’s clans, not long after the age in which they came to a time of peace. It should be noted that as this is an oral legend, which was later recorded in script, there are some discrepancies between tales.

Huh, that’s definitely a different format than normal. Though it’s neat to see how you’re handling these stories in stories for this thing.

Once upon a time, in the age of the great alpha pokemon and plains wanderers, during the time of the tyrant king and the impenetrable shield; there was an egg. And from this egg hatched a pokemon. This pokemon was of no particular stature. It did not possess rarity, or unusual strength or size. Indeed this pokemon was quite ordinary.

I kinda wonder if there should’ve been a bit more hints given as to who these “plains wanderers” and “tyrant king and impenetrable shield” were, since these terms admittedly went a bit over my head and I couldn’t easily think of things from canon lore as to what they might be.

… Unless if that’s a story for a future update, in which case, carry on.

After its birth, this pokemon was soon struck by a great loneliness. Though it had others of its kind, it found it never felt content, never found that it had a kindred spirit. Someone complementary to itself. It had no true companion in this world that it bonded with. So great was this pokemons loneliness, it vowed to embark on a journey to seek the companion that might help him.

So… it was a Cubone living all alone? Since they are the Lonely Pokémon for a ‘dex category… o<o

So it was that this pokemon began to travel across the land, searching far and wide. It met many species, and braved many dangers with great difficulty. Many times it was forced to try to fight other pokemon who sought to drive it away. Rarely could it succeed in those fights, for in those times strength still reigned supreme and growing strong was no easy feat. Yet it persevered.

I mean, if this ‘Lonely Pokémon’ was a persistence hunter like early humans… yeah. I can see how it’d persevere short of dying abruptly.

Then one day, this pokemon was driven deep into a cave as it sought to escape yet another enemy. On and on it ran, deeper into these caves, until it could run no further. At the bottom lay a large chamber with a lake. And in this chamber, it found a very strange group of beings.

Odd little dark shapes of all kinds, each possessing a single eye. They emerged, comforting the pokemon, dancing around it, and soon the pokemon found itself cheered up.

Wait, are these Unown? Since this sure sounds like Unown?

For many days the pokemon remained here in the company of the strange, unown Beings, playing and enjoying their company, and pleased because it had believed that perhaps these could be the friends they had sought for so long. The Beings themselves also shared the pokemon’s sense of loneliness, for they had only themselves for company here.

Yeah, I figured. Though Unown made the first humans in this world, huh? That’s definitely a different take than I’ve seen before, but hey, they did get up to some neat stuff in the Entei movie.

However, these strange Beings explained they would not always remain in this cave, and would return to their own home one day. This news troubled the pokemon, for it had still not found the companion it desired. Yet it determined it should enjoy the time it could with its newfound friends. Despite everything, the loneliness still remained that it could not deny. To the pokemon, it felt as if it longed for something it could not name.

A girlfriend? :V

The strange Beings sensed the pokemon’s loneliness and desire, and were determined to help it before they departed. So they gathered many of their kind one day and joined their powers together, and drew on the emotions this pokemon felt, reaching deep into the root of its desire. From this emotion and desire, the strange Beings were guided.

Close enough, really. :P

[H U M A N]

However, these strange Beings understood that the one they had formed could not long remain in this world, for it was not Alive. Nor could it truly be the companion their friend sought, unless it could possess Choice. So the strange Beings made a pilgrimage to three ancient lakes of the land, calling upon the Spirits of the Lake. They beseeched these powerful spirits to grant them great aid and power.

Oh, so the Unown did make the first humans. Or at least I think that that’s the implication there. Though I do wonder if it’d have made a bit more sense to be specific about what this ‘great aid and power’ the proto-humans sought out was, since it’s a bit vague right now.

After much deliberation, the Spirits agreed to lend their power, but only if it was promised this being would not possess the infinite power pokemon did. So it was agreed, and the pact made. The Spirits granted the Beings three fragments of their power and placed them into the HUMAN.

Hmm… I kinda get what Knowledge and Emotion are going for, but I wonder if these three gifts from the Lake Fairies would’ve made sense to play up how humans tick differently from Pokémon. Unless this is a setting where Pokémon aren’t fully sapient, which I didn’t really get the vibe from with the whole Unown bit, but I suppose is possible.

So the lonely pokemon was brought before Human. Human met Pokemon, and for the first time since the Pokemon could remember, it did not feel lonely. Not only had it found friends in the strange Beings, but the Beings had selflessly given a great gift, a new life. A kindred spirit, yet one completely new to this world.

Oh, so this is also the folklore story of the first trainer in-setting, huh? Since I see that concept of a ‘pact’ there.

To give each other life and love, protection and guidance. That in the face of danger, neither would ever be alone.

United, stronger.

Which I suppose would explain a few things about how official media consistently portrays people that deviate from this general mold as being lower than scum. But it makes sense as an in-setting ideal.

It is said that from that moment, the destinies of Human and Pokemon became forever linked.

Residents of Jubilife Village:
bender-laughing.gif

Even if I suppose there were a few teething issues after things started out here. Since we know at least some cultures in canon fluff were terrified of Pokémon and reluctant to interact with them for a long while after this folkloric origin.

That brings me to the end of my tale, dear reader. I hope you gained something of this, whether or not you believe it.

As I mentioned, there exist some variations of this tale. In some, the lonely wanderer is given a particular species, often one particular to the storyteller. Some list its species as one of the pokemon we today call ‘fossil pokemon’. Other times it is a species such as Weavile or Honchkrow. Or a particularly common pokemon, such as a Wurmple or Caterpie.

I’m honestly a little surprised that these tales aren’t intertwined with “starter” Pokémon, though I suppose there’s no real reason why their status as starter Pokémon has to be something that has deep historical roots, so I won’t question it too hard.

Other variations of this story give the titular pokemon no known family or even species of its own, and there is some speculation this was a reference to it being some entirely unique being.

Whatever the true origin of humanity is, there can be one truth we can have faith in.

The lives of humans and pokemon are undeniably linked. And for that, we can be most grateful.

Hmm… I like this tale’s general direction, though I wonder if it’d have also benefited from highlighting a bit more of the ‘give and take’ between this ‘Lonely Pokémon’ and the first humans, as a bit of a background of what the first ‘pact’ codified. But what’s there is still cute and fairly believable as something that would turn up in Canalave Library.

Our World and Aura

Ah yes, it’s the episode about the Force that wibbly-wobbly life energy thing introduced in Generation 4 that was promptly never explicitly built on again in later generations. Game Freak seems to have a knack for doing that lore-wise.
What is Aura?

Aura. Sometimes referred to as ‘life force’, aura is a mysterious binding energy that flows through all aspects of our universe. All things on our planet, both sentient and not, possess life energy. From the smallest tree to the largest mountain of rocks. Rivers and sky, fire and ice, even the tiniest drop of venom. The term life force is now known to be a slight misnomer. It can more accurately be called ‘life energy’.

So… does that mean that there’s also a ‘life stream’ in this world?
:thonklithe:

While it was previously believed that many separate forms of energy exist in the world of pokemon, it has since been discovered that all energies share similar base properties. Thus it can be said that these energies are a form of Aura existing in various states. In this way, it is not unlike water, in that it can exist in different states with different properties.

Ah yes, thus why Lucario can form hard light bone clubs to bonk others with.

Everything we see around us is actually derived from what can be thought of as Origin Auras; Aura in its purest form. A ‘true’ form. The campfire you set ablaze is actually a mere shadow of the true force of Fire itself. A freezing glacier is a pale imitation of the force of Ice. In this way, all of the natural world appears to be derived from the Origin Aura’s. Collectively, these states of Aura can be known as ‘Typed Aura’.

Oh hey, I recognize this premise from Xenoblade 1, even if it didn’t call its wibbly-wobbly elemental life force ‘Aura’. It’s definitely not a bad take on explaining away some of the more paranormal stuff going on in the Pokémon world, though.

Thanks to newly discovered historical texts from ancient Hisui, it is believed that there are eighteen Origin Plates of Aura that exist, corresponding with the eighteen known classifications or ‘types’ of pokemon. These have been found in the forms of various plates, or fragments of plates. If the legends are to be believed, these plates once belonged solely to the one called ‘Firstborn’ or ‘Sinnoh’. These are also known as Creationary Aura. They are said to have their origin in the plates that formed from the chaos at the origin of all existence.

I’m a little unclear as to what the ‘These’ is referring to with regard to ‘Creationary Aura’. Is that meant to be the essence that is carried by the Origin Plates? Or something different?

After careful studying of the ‘Infinity Energy’ said to be possessed by pokemon, it was found that the combination of all eighteen individual Auras form Infinity Energy when together.

… Wait, so doesn’t that imply that Devon Corp had to suck life force out from at least 9 donors at a time in order to generate Infinity Energy if it’s the product of all typed Auras combined together?
:copyka2:

While many mysteries still remain about Infinity Energy and Aura, it can conclusively be said for now that Aura is the living energy force that binds reality and all living and non-living things together in harmony.

Actually, wait, when was this book written anyways? Since I could’ve sworn that the term ‘Infinity Energy’ was coined by researchers from Devon Corp canonically. If this is meant to be an old, old text that predates that time, it might make sense to play around with some other terms beyond it to refer to the concept.

… Or Devon could’ve named their product after the pre-existing term. That would also work as a solution as well.

we-dont-know-dont-know.gif

Nah, from the size of the section, it sounds like the people in this world at least have an educated guess, so let’s see what that looks like.

Currently, Aura itself flows through every aspect of reality. However, recent studies suggest Aura did not always exist as a force freely found in the universe, accessible by pokemon. Countless hundreds of thousands of years ago, in the time of the first pokemon to roam the planet and the cosmos, pokemon were simply fantastical creatures, strange and wild beings gifted with unusual prowess or capability.

Wait, but how on earth would any of this be quantified? Like does the technology even exist in this setting to discretely measure aura’s quantity and typing? If so, it might make sense to allude to it in your text a bit more, since it feels a bit weird to see something with such a mystical vibe being spoken of in the same vein as electromagnetic waves.

Through the use of fossil records, dating techniques, and various ancient texts, it is believed our world used to look much different than the one we know today. Pokemon lived as wild and fierce creatures, disconnected and driven by instinct and pursuit of power and survival.

Wait, but don’t they already live as fierce and wild creatures in the boonies? Since I’ve read some of those Pokédex entries lying around...
:copyka~3:

Ancient pokemon did not possess the capability of drawing upon Aura. Instead, they relied upon the natural gifts possessed by their species. Charizard could breathe fire, bugs could use debilitating poisons, and others possessed claws or blades for combat. All pokemon were not equal, and the strongest ruled the weakest, and the weak could not surpass their limits.

Oh, so essentially, everyone was type-locked and incapable of learning moves beyond whatever their typings carried, huh? Or is the idea that they didn’t even have that and every battle was essentially a big Struggle-fest?

The only exceptions were the supposed deity pokemon themselves, god-like creators and protectors of the world. As creations of Arceus, they possessed his ability to harness Aura and manipulate it, as well as utilize unique abilities to form and guide the natural world.

I guess that confirms the ‘Struggle-fest’ route.

While the circumstances that led to the world becoming filled with aura are not conclusively known, many recent studies on aura have made excellent strides in understanding it better.

My money is on the old French hobo going nuts with the death lazor.

Currently, it is believed a single, cataclysmic event led to Aura suddenly emerging into our world and granting pokemon Infinity Energy. Studies suggest humans did not enter the picture until many generations after this.

Or not, guess that Aura / IE was dispersed well, well before the Great Lazoring in this setting.

Devon Corp + an Ungodly Number of Series Villains:

7UMf3h.gif

Though onto the less morbid and unethical uses for these two… ^^;

Any being possessing Infinity Energy possesses the ability to draw upon Typed Aura to form ‘techniques’ or moves, as they are commonly known. A technique is simply a stable and replicable channeling of Aura. While rare, it is known to be possible for pokemon to be able to create new techniques, through rigorous practice and training.

That actually makes me wonder if we’re going to see an explanation for Strong and Agile Style moves, since based off the lore that this series is running with, it definitely feels like a topic that would come up.

This Aura in turn reacts uniquely with the target via their Aural Alignment, either depleting it effectively or ineffectively, or neutrally. Among some trainers, these terms have become colloquially referred to as ‘super-effective’ or ‘not very effective’.

‘Aural Alignment’, huh? While I’m guessing that this is the snappy in-universe term for “type matchup”, I kinda wonder if the term ought to have been elaborated on a bit more since it’s introducing a concept to the readers that exists outside of official lore, since if the article is meant to be written from the perspective of someone introducing Aura to a kid or the like for the first time, it’s unlikely they’d throw around specialized lingo without context to elaborate on it.

It is through these techniques that pokemon display the unique capability of engaging in a form of sparring wherein the possibility of grievous harm is unlikely or impossible. Groups of wild pokemon have been observed and recorded engaging in this form of combat predating even the appearance of humans. This combat is known to increase a pokemons capacity to wield and defend against aura based attacks, effectively making them stronger in combat.

how-kevin.gif

I mean, I buy it that it happened, though as an article written by humans and for humans, it might make sense to elaborate on how this was recorded? e.x. were fossils of Pokémon flash-buried in sediment turned up where they were preserved fighting in fashions we would recognize as consistent with their modern counterparts? Especially since the entire article has been written such that everything mentioned has been quantified or observed somehow.
One such infamous area is Clawmark Hill, located in Alola. Generations of pokemon appear to have used the location as a sacred battleground for ritual combat and tests of strength and willpower. There are many such similar areas across other regions both known and unknown to humans.

While pokemon have confirmed that they enjoy engaging in this form of combat, it has also been observed that pokemon bonded with a human frequently exceed their wild counterparts in both tactics and breadth of experience. It is believed to be one of the primary reasons many pokemon seek out a human partner, to increase their own skill and strength.

Lonely Pokémon: “Also free food and belly rubs! Can’t forget that!”

Through observation of trained and wild pokemon, it has been determined that the ‘fainted’ state a pokemon enters is an entirely natural reflex triggered by a pokemon as a defense mechanism against over exertion. This state is confirmed through various pokemon and human sources to be non-harmful if adequate rest and food is provided after.

That actually makes me wonder if Pokémon in this setting don’t prey on each other as often as some generations’ ‘dex lore imply. Since you’d think that this would be the ‘Dinner!’ state for a victorious predator as opposed to an effective defense unless if fainted Pokémon bodies release hormones or something that would make their flesh unappetizing to eat.

As further research was done, a better understanding of the various distinct states of aura was learned. The ancient Legends of the pokemon world are believed to be the primary source of many of these forms, as well as certain other pokemon.

Arceus: “Am I a joke to you?”
:whodarespostthis:

The first known form is Gaia energy, known more commonly in this era as Mega energy. This form of Aura is wielded by the Legends of Kalos history, Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde. It is said that in the moment between life and death, a pokemon can surpass its own limits. This power, which has been observed in Zygarde, can be harnessed by Pokemon to greatly enhance their power and sometimes physical appearance.

Huh. So is Mega Energy treated as something separate from Primal Reversion that the Weather Trio rocks? Or are those two different destinations to the same end?

However, such power is known to be overwhelming for a pokemon to wield and requires a stabilizer in the form of a keystone, synergy stone, or other stabilizing element, often wielded by a human. Rowan, prominent professor in the Sinnoh region, and Sycamore, are currently studying the ties between Gaia and phenomena such as bond and synchro evolution.

Which we get to see in loving detail in multiple branches of canon, including PokéAni and in PMD games from Super on. ^^;

The next form is known as Z-Aura or Ultra-Light, also referred to as Z-Energy. Ancient Alolan texts suggest the great Light Dragon (see footnote on Necrozma and its forms), granted this energy. It is known that tapping into this ‘light’ and directing it can affect or enhance a pokemons ‘techniques’. However, it is believed it is almost impossible for a Pokemon to direct or access this without the aid of a human.

Oh huh, right. It is implied that those Z-crystals are parts of Necrozma, huh? That makes me wonder if we’re also going to see a bit in this section about Dynamax / Tera energy given that both of those are canonically linked quite intimately with specific Legendary Pokémon.

Despite previous theories, Eternatus was recently proved to indeed be a pokemon. As such, it has been discovered it possesses the attributes of a pokemon, including Infinity Energy and the ability to manipulate Aura. Its particles have a unique effect on beings possessing Infinity Energy that is believed to be similar to Gaia energy, and also appears to have a distortional effect when used in large quantities. It has been dubbed Dyna Energy, and its effects are still being studied.

The final form of aura currently known is a strange phenomenon known as ‘terastalization’, which temporarily alters or enhances a pokemon’s internal Aural Alignment. Further studies are still being done on the origins and uses of this form of aura. At current, it is known that through the use of what appears to be crystallized energy, a pokemon can effectively shift its own Aura Alignment via manifesting this energy in the form of a sort of ‘shell’ around itself.

Ah yes, there we go. Though it makes me wonder if you’re planning on editing this chapter sometime down the pipe after Indigo Disk has sunk in a bit more with the broader Pokémon fandom.

Despite all the progress that has been made in the past century alone, much more is still being uncovered about the properties of Aura, Infinity Energy, and the world around us. Our understanding of it is constantly changing as Aura itself appears to shift and change in response to the world around us. As long as humans and pokemon continue to keep an open mind, the possibilities we can achieve are truly infinite.

Wait, so is the implication that the type system in this world has literally shifted around (e.x. gaining new types / adding and dropping weaknesses and resistances) in this world? Or am I reading into things too much?

All-in-all, I thought that this was a pretty neat series, and it’s a neat way to show off the nuts and bolts of your worldbuilding for your take on the Pokémon World that kinda makes me wish that I’d thought of doing something like this in the past. Thus far, you’ve stuck to more generalized topics, though that teaser for the next update definitely sounds like it’ll be promising to read.

If I had any complaints about this series, it’s that some of your lore feels a little too “generalized” and like it could use a few more concrete examples or anecdotes. I also thought that the Aura entry was a bit heavy on jargon that while I’m sure makes sense in your own world, didn’t feel like it was explained enough for readers coming in blind, which was a bit jarring since the jargon was mostly terms related to Aura/IE in an article that premise-wise is meant to be an introduction to Aura/IE for the reader.

But altogether, I thought that things were still a worthwhile read @Flyg0n , and I’ll be keeping an eye out for that fourth entry you had teased on your table of contents at the time of this review. Since if it’s going to be about what I think it’s going to be about, it’ll definitely be interesting to see play out.

BossCar

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/His

h9MkaxzwyCBfEvu3G7LxDGggtdeqY6xf06JcEQMP-00.jpg

For over a year, he traveled the wilds to each of the region's major settlements. At each town, he would meet their protector or leader and do some task to assist them as an act of goodwill. Heartened by this young diplomats' actions, the town leaders would provide a letter with their personal wax stamp seal as proof he’d earned their friendship.

Nowadays, the modern journey isn't focused on diplomacy, but on one's self and discovery. Gym leaders are no longer the defacto leader of their town, but they are still looked up to as leaders nonetheless. And they often provide valuable insight and guidance to young challengers. And of course, gyms are no longer always the sole pursuit of a journey.

97bfd8bd6723a4a0e84015008146d0d8_400x400.jpeg
Here for Blitz (I hope I did this word count thing right, lol.) You know I’m gonna be down with historical lore whenever I see it. The prose is also very good.

I like the idea of a “first journey” in the modern sense. It would seem that the concept of a journey played a role in ceasing warfare, no? If so, we are similar in this regard—the modern league competition began as a way to circumvent war amongst my HC’s equivalent to Ancient Greek city-states.

Speaking of which, I get a philosophy vibe from this. Tell Plato, Aristotle, and Confucius I said hello when you discuss Aura with them. We all know you be sliding into their DMs.

Adding those sculptures is a neat little touch to the lore. Art and history is heavily connected so it makes sense for art related to this Diplomant to have been created. He’s probably the star of a lot of paintings too.
1200px-Legends_Arceus_Hisui.png

View attachment 6348
[H U M A N]

United, stronger.

~~~~~​

Obviously, humanity descended from aliens. Come on Tetra, we all know Deoxys is the ancestor of all humans and Flygon gave us agriculture. /s

This one in particular reads like it’s from sacred and philosophical texts fused with a work like Metamorphosis by Ovid, which is neat. Nice tie-in to in-game lore too. One thing I do wonder is if this tale is mainly found in Sinnoh. If so, do other regions have their own creation stories like how different real cultures have their own? For example, one Ancient Egyptian creation story has a lotus being the first thing to come into existence.

But personally, I believe Glaceon created humanity because it wanted more beings to pet it and play with it.

dcnx88t-e31cb146-542e-4826-8335-c7ded40ad73e.png

(credit)

What is Aura?

Through observation of trained and wild pokemon, it has been determined that the ‘faint’ state a pokemon enters is an entirely natural reflex triggered by a pokemon as a defense mechanism against over exertion. This state is confirmed through various pokemon and human sources to be non-harmful if adequate rest and food is provided after.

~~~​

Despite all the progress that has been made in the past century alone, much more is still being uncovered about the properties of Aura, Infinity Energy, and the world around us. Our understanding of it is constantly changing as Aura itself appears to shift and change in response to the world around us. As long as humans and pokemon continue to keep an open mind, the possibilities we can achieve are truly be infinite.
There we go, there’s the Tetra we all know and love! I can imagine that Aura could be difficult to grasp for some within your world since it’s such a vast concept. Going back to my earlier point, I wonder what philosophers, both East and West, would think of Aura. Perhaps it’s time to fuse the concept of Aura with Aristotle.

Of course, it ain’t Tetra-verse if both history and science didn’t confirm Aura existed. And indeed, it reads like a scientific and historical text. And once again, I like your use of canon here. Coming Aura with the silly shiny hat phenomena is a natural fit. Same with Infinity Energy.

Solid work overall, you’re a great writer :smile:

ErazonPo3

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
She/her
I've decided to try and get a head start on reading and reviewing different works at my own pace, and this archive is as good a place to start as any, I think!

The story of the first journey is heartwarming and makes a lot of sense in having historical basis; I like that it goes from being a journey of diplomacy to a journey of self discovery, due to the pilgrimmages making the world safer and safer over the years. I think it would be interesting as well if the first diplomat had some kind of historical evil team anaolgue to deal with, maybe recorded in another chapter, as a nod to the common refrain of pokemon protagonists these days....

This is such a cute explanation for those statues with their vague shape! I like this idea as a Johto-specific folk tale, though I can imagine different regions would have their own spin on it as well.

The Lonely Pokemon

The question of the origin of humans in the Pokemon world is a very intriguing one indeed! I like the nod to different theories in the prelude, I'm preferential to the divergent evolution theory myself but it's also a neat idea that humans could be like their own kind of Paradox Pokemon

I really love the setup of this tale, and any story involving Unown is guaranteed to catch my eye. It's really sweet to imagine that humans were born through the will of the Unown and the Lake Trio to help the lonely Pokemon find a companion who would be their partner. I'm reminded a lot of Jukurrpa stories with its strong emphasis on the world's creation through the actions of animals and nature.

I like the idea that the lonely pokemon is ambiguous, and that people over time would fill in the blanks with their own favourites. I'm curiously eyeing "Other times it is a species such as Weavile or Honchkrow" though, given that I know those are two staples of Cyrus' team...

I really enjoyed this story overall!

Our World and Aura

The documentary script style of this is really fitting for the content, I had it on text to speech for a minute while I was chopping veggies and it really did feel like a video essay I might have on in the background. I vibe really hard with this sort of depiction of Aura, it captures both the vague-ness of it but roots it in scientific principles (what is energy? what is physics? someone could tell you but I sure can't).

The glimpse into a past where Pokemon don't have Aura was really cool, as a more brutal survival of the fittest mode than the modern world of Pokemon. I'm curious about what the catalyst for Aura was, though, given that it predates humans.

I like how the Infinity Energy, Aura and its Uses takes the game concepts and works it into a more solid explanation for how Pokemon can battle safely and get stronger. I tend to write along similar lines, though also keeping "freak accidents can sometimes happen" in my back pocket for some spice. The Various States of Aura touches on something that frazzles my brain (in a good way) where there's really no rhyme or reason to how the different 'gimmicks' work. In particular I think the Professors of the world must be stumped on what exactly differentiates Mega Evolution from Primal forms or even Origin forms, and why some Legendaries need an item to power up while others don't (apparently Bulbapedia says Rayquaza has an organ that functions as a Mega Stone???).

The final bit about terastalisation is interesting, given how the more lore Pokemon gives us about Area Zero the less I feel I know. It makes me curious how stellar terastalisation might play into things, too.

I love exploring worldbuilding through in-universe compendiums like this, it really does make me feel like I'm poking around in a library. I'd love to see more updates to this series, when the inspiration strikes!

Top Bottom