• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Camp NaNoWriMo In July

The Walrein

Vicinal Dragging for the Truth
Partners
  1. gulpin
  2. kricketot
  3. bulbasaur
Anyone else doing anything for Camp NaNoWriMo in July? I just created my writing project, and although I'm not planning on doing the 'cabin' thing I'm hoping that I'll be more likely to get it done if I at least publicly announce what I'm doing here. Details on my project are in the spoiler below.

My goal is to post one new* one-shot to the forum every Wednesday for the month of July. I'm calling it "The Walrein's Weekly Wednesday One-Shots".

*(New as in 'never before posted'. All of the stories have varying amounts of work done beforehand, ranging from outlines to like 70% of the words being written already. Indeed, part of the reason I'm doing this is to finish up a lot of the old half-written stuff I have laying about. So that means I'll be committing NaNo heresy by using some pre-written material for most of the stories.)

Here's my planned story schedule:

July 03: Conkeldurr's Cosmoem Conundrum
July 10: Youngster Joey Whited Out!
July 17: Beyond the Before The Law
July 24: The Brief Life (And Painful Death) Of Lucardevoirzard
July 30: The Mon That Won The War

So, you may or may not be familiar with NanoWrimo, the event where you try to write a 50,000 word novel in the month of November. Camp Nanowrimo is sort of a spin-off of that where you try to complete writing goals you set yourself in April or July. You can keep track of your progress by creating an account on their site and entering information about your writing project, and if you update it with your word count/hour count/page count/everything except number of stories written, why won't it let me do that count, it'll keep track of statistics for you like your daily average and how much you need to write each day to meet your goal on time. Also, you can join a 'writing cabin' with up to 19 other writers to help encourage you.

A very few links:

The official site

The official FAQ

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Ohh, thank you for making this thread! I'm glad someone else is doing Camp this July. That's a really exciting and ambitious goal you've set, and it'd be awesome to get to read that many new stories from you! I hope the public announcement ends up working out. :)

I'm going to be participating in Camp this year despite a general lack of success in the past; going to simply work on adding words to my current chapterfic, Another 5,000 or so should round out the next chapter. Anything extra I'll probably dedicate to a pokemon battle-writing guide that I've been working on for the main site.

One of the reasons I'm participating this month is that I'll be running a pokemon-themed word crawl challenge here on these forums, so I kind of have to participate, heh. I'm also not sure what my target word goal is going to be because I haven't figured out what the maximum target for the crawl will be, either, but I'm currently aiming for 10,000. More info on that event will be up sometime next week.

NebulaDreams

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. luxray
  2. hypno
That sounds quite exciting! I've liked your stuff before, particularly one-shots, @The Walrein, so I wish the best of luck to you!

My planned project is continuing my long fic, since I've reached a point where I think I should be making more of a dent in it. I've set my goal to 30k words, so hopefully, I should deliver this month.

Btw, are we doing cabins? If so, it would be nice to join one, particularly if it's made up of people within this server.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Oooh, 30k. That's a pretty serious goal! That would definitely make a nice dent in your plot.

I honestly don't know about cabins! I've never actually joined one. Is that something you think would be helpful, even if we didn't fill a cabin?

NebulaDreams

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. luxray
  2. hypno
I'm hoping I can do it, anyway.

Cabins are basically like groups, where you can track each other's stats and also chat, but yeah. You can create private cabins that allow you to invite members onto there, but I think it might be a little redundant if we're using the Discord server anyway to communicate. More info about it is here: https://campnanowrimo.org/what-are-cabins

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Ah, gotcha! It sounds like the Discord should work for coordination/encouragement purposes, but it's something to think about in the future. Thanks for the info!

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
I won't be doing camp nano due to july being Art Fight. However, I will totally be up for getting in on some word wars during the month! I'm also curious about the word crawl challenge. :D

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Dang, I forgot Art Fight was in July. I'd like to try that out sometime, but I don't think it's in the cards for this year!

Anyway, here's the word crawl I had mentioned earlier! I know we haven't done one of these before, so let me know if you find it confusing or have any questions about how it should work. I'll be hosting some word wars on the Discord, too!

NonAnalogue

Losing her head
Pronouns
she/her
Every summer, I try to work on a manuscript; I have several in various states of completion:

- Another Winter (v.1), which centered around a hardware engineer named Pascale Brady whose best friend Rayley Triggs goes missing. She suspects the company she works for - Creative Designs - is at fault and brings the fight to them. Meanwhile, the headmaster of a school of magic is up to some sketchy business, and when teacher Cosmo King gets fired, he investigates exactly what ties the headmaster has to Creative Designs.
- Second Chances, in which Pascale and an old friend named Fargo Falls get thrown into a dead future and must find their way back home to prevent it from coming to pass. Also features the inexplicable appearance of several homegrown 'superheroes' and 'supervillains', such as the Mega-Low Maniac (who can limbo lower than anyone else).

I did both of those drafts like 10 years ago and we don't talk about them much.

More recently:
- Take Five, in which mage Sienna Travler loses a competition and goes on a murdering spree as a result. Fellow magician Luna Lucera and PI Ashwyn Vincent have to figure out her plans and stop her before anyone else dies.
- Another Winter (v.2), in which blacksmith Pascale Brady's best friend Rayley Triggs goes missing. The mystery intertwines with the murder of a local art gallery owner, and Pascale must solve both cases to find out where her friend has gone. Also features librarian Kalina Paige-Essery, who just wants to get an overdue back from Rayley and inadvertently gets drawn into Pascale's investigation.

This month, I plan to work on a manuscript centered around the same general idea as Not a Number - in fact, the reason I started Not a Number in the first place was to get a handle on characterization before tackling this project. The overall plot will be different and the viewpoint character is Desta Rudo and not Fiametta Fortunata (but Fiametta, Makani, and Ms. K will all be making appearances).

Gonna start today!

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Heh, it's fun to see that "Another Winter" was a reference to another story you've written (twice!). Those sound like some fun writing projects, and I hope the one you're working on this year goes well. Not a Number has been a good time thus far, even if it's just supposed to be a character-building exercise, so I bet the more fleshed-out version will be just as entertaining.

Easing into things nice and slow myself, since as usual I'm super behind and that means I need to be editing some chapters to post before I really sink my teeth into the next one. Feeling pretty good about getting everything done in 10k words or less... although it's five scenes, some of them had better be pretty short, otherwise there's no way I'm fitting this all into a single chapter, heh.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
It's about halfway through Camp! How are people doing?

Been burning a lot of words on actually writing the word crawls rather than my own story, but overall I'd say it's been going okay. Written 3614 words so far, plus some exquisite corpse stuff, which is like an entire two days' worth of regular NaNo, but better than nothing! Also got at least a vague idea of what I'm going to do with one of the scenes of this chapter, which was previously just "something has to happen here for pacing reasons." Three more scenes to go, one of them small, and I'm feeling pretty good about finishing the draft of this chapter and the first battle guide chapter this month. Would really love to be able to start working on the next chapter as well... It's shorter than this one and has a good amount written on it already, so I might actually be able to knock it out as well with a couple thousand more words!

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Camp's coming to an end, and I'm done with my personal challenge. Ended up writing 9336, right in line with what I'd been expecting. Somewhat marred by the fact that I spent some of those words on silly nonsense instead of my real project, but I did finish up the chapter I was working on and make a solid start to polishing off what remains of the next.

If you participated in Camp, how did you do? I hope the writing went well!

Top Bottom