• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Bug Report Thread

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
The hover text doesn’t work on mobile. The little dots won’t show up, which is a pity because it breaks stories that make use of that function.
I'm aware of this one and hope to look into it soon.

The title text jumps down if the window is too small. (Easy enough to fix by just dragging the window wider, but thought it was worth knowing.) This is on Safari, computer not mobile.

View attachment 835
This should be fixed.

WildBoots

Don’t underestimate seeds.
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. moka-mark
  2. solrock

kintsugi

golden scars | pfp by sun
the warmth of summer in the songs you write
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. silvally-grass
  2. lapras
  3. golurk
  4. booper-kintsugi
  5. meloetta-kint-muse
  6. meloetta-kint-dancer
  7. murkrow
  8. yveltal
This one is uniquely fascinating to me and tbh if you figure out what's causing it I'd love to know.

Your Browser: Chrome, Dreamshade (tried to replicate on Blue Shadows and could not!)
Your Operating System: Windows 10
Description of Problem: Text box resizes to a non-sized scrollbar and then unsizes to have no scrollbar, alternating between these two states for every character typed, but this only occurs on specific lines of text. Video here since this one is kind of weird to describe.

(I encountered this originally when writing a review but changed to lorem ipsum's to spare the pain of showing my in-progress reviews. I did encounter this on two separate threads)

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Does this problem persist if you resize your browser window? Slightly smaller or slightly larger, shouldn't matter.

kintsugi

golden scars | pfp by sun
the warmth of summer in the songs you write
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. silvally-grass
  2. lapras
  3. golurk
  4. booper-kintsugi
  5. meloetta-kint-muse
  6. meloetta-kint-dancer
  7. murkrow
  8. yveltal
Does this problem persist if you resize your browser window? Slightly smaller or slightly larger, shouldn't matter.
hmmm, now I can't replicate it, so I'm glad I took video the first time lol. the only thing that changed was I switched to Blue Skies (to see if it was skin-specific) and then back to Dreamshade. Will let you know if I see it again + if resizing affects it.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Do let me know if it shows up again! From the video it looks like a common problem that occurs around certain style breakpoints... when content gets reflowed it can sometimes slightly tip over a breakpoint, which triggers some kind of resizing, which then causes the element to drop back under the breakpoint, which triggers resizing again, etc. Since there are different breakpoints on different styles, changing the style would likely fix it, and it should hopefully only occur at very specific element dimensions, so resizing the window ought to stop it as well. But good to know if it's popping up now and again.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Your Browser: Chrome
Your Operating System: Android/Mobile
Description of Problem: So for some reason on mobile when I click on a thread, there's no page directory at the top, I have to scroll all the way to the bottom to switch between pages. This is admittedly really minor and not urgent, But I do wonder if there's a way to have the page switcher show up at the top of the posts?

silurica

All shall be well
Pronouns
They/Them
Partners
  1. arceus-beta
  2. arceus
  3. arceus-shiny
Hi, I hope this is the correct place, it seems the image in my signature has stopped loading mysteriously? It's hosted on imgur (for reference), and I've tried reuploading and using a fresh link, but it still won't load on the forum. Weirdly, the image does load in the edit signature page. I haven't made any recent change to my signature until when I noticed this problem.

I also tried replacing the image link with a Discord one, which did load, but if I can help it I'd rather avoid using a Discord link because Discord isn't an image hosting service, and part of the reason I used imgur was because I thought it's a widely accepted image host. (And it worked until recently.)

Also tried: changing forum style and opening the forum in mobile device. Neither let the image load with the above imgur link.

(I don't think this is an issue with my browser/device/OS, but do tell if it's necessary to provide those too.)

Partners
  1. skiddo-steplively
  2. skiddo-px2
  3. skiddo-px3
  4. skiddo-iametrine
  5. skiddo-coolshades
  6. skiddo-rudolph
  7. skiddo-sleepytime
  8. snowskiddo
  9. skiddotina
  10. skiddengo
  11. skiddoyena
Not staff, but this is an issue with Imgur enforcing their policies on how sites are allowed to link to their images, which has turned out to be incompatible with how Xenforo displays those images by default. Technically there's a setting Negrek can change that might help (although she's currently out of town so it may be a while before she can get to it), but ultimately it may be best to try hosting your files with a different image host to avoid future Imgur issues—Imgur's just not interested in cooperating with other sites that want to display their images anymore.

Some decent alternatives might be File Garden or Postimages.

Last edited:

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Thanks for the detailed report, @silurica , and thanks for stepping in with an answer while I was away, @Phoenixsong !

Like Phoenixsong said, the images breaking was a result of a change to the way Imgur serves its images, and while there's a way that I should be able to resolve the problem short-term, long-term the recent changes Imgur's been making suggest it may not remain a stable image host, unfortunately. However, the image in your signature looks fine to me, and a cursory check of some others on the forum are displaying correctly for me as well... Does the image still look broken to you? It's possible Imgur made another change and things are loading properly again without me actually doing anything, but I'm not sure whether other people are being served the images correctly or not.

silurica

All shall be well
Pronouns
They/Them
Partners
  1. arceus-beta
  2. arceus
  3. arceus-shiny
It looks like it's now back, yes. Curious. I think I will let it be for now, but if there's a next time I'll know the likely culprit. (It would be nice if we could directly upload signature image though...)

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
A bugfix where I don't actually have to do anything is my favorite kind of bugfix. :)

Thanks for following up! I'm glad things are working again now. There is an add-on out there that would allow people to directly upload images to use in their signatures, if that's something people would be interested in. Only one signature image per person, though.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
A brief follow-up to the above: I noticed that recently Imgur images have been showing up broken again. I applied a fix that appears to have restored them for now, but as a reminder, I do recommend looking for alternative image hosting (see this post for a couple options). I think it likely that Imgur will move to impose more restrictions on what images it will serve to external web sites in the future, and my ability to force them to display on the forums is limited.

Meridian

local liminal entity
Pronouns
any/all
I have a perfectly reasonable thing going on with an image embed, and I'm testing out to see if it'll work if I just post it
(perfectly reasonable as in "this image is 9.4mb and 1920x1080 because it was made as wallpaper viable and I would not compromise on quality for it, even though I should" (ergo) "I can see why a forum might hate embedding it, even if it's hosted on another site")
in preview for setting up the post, it embeds fine. it's in preview that it hiccups and the image breaks.
this could be a quirk, this could be the result of the issue I described being likely, currently going over it with Espy in Writing Craft on the discord.. tho I am mirroring / running it also on the Sufficient Velocity Forums, and to my knowledge users can see it just fine there, and it should be resize capable.

A vintage store with an excess of lamps. One lamp atop a dresser has a holographic eye staring back at the viewer. It is adorned in rosaries and shines to attract your attention.

ATTEMPT REWORK
A vintage store with an excess of lamps. One lamp atop a dresser has a holographic eye staring back at the viewer. It is adorned in rosaries and shines to attract your attention.

Disregard this post if the image loads fine. It's likely an issue with preview-mode breaking due to file size or resizing the image.
EDIT: yup, it broke. I'm gonna re-upload the image in a lower dimension so it'll fit, and provide a "full size" link
EDIT2: it's a size issue, as the resize is 1.1mb and within general forum limits (or easy to resize)

Last edited:

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Yeah, the forum file upload limit is set to 2MB, and the forums also proxy all images, so that restriction applies even to images hosted externally. And it does not give a coherent error message to let people know when size is the problem. =/

If you ever have trouble getting something under the size limit, PNGs usually compress pretty well without any noticeable loss of quality ime. I usually use this site to crunch them when necessary.

earls

Youngster
Pronouns
He/Him
Your Browser: Chrome
Your Operating System: Android/Mobile
Description of Problem: Functionality with text boxes is broken for me, I can't type in conversations and can't reply to threads/messages (and the 'waffle' in the corner has no functionality either).
Also, some different UI that loads in a new page to react/reply to posts (as well as some other functions like clicking on any of the buttons in the top right like the mail or notifications) instead of a pop-up on the page I'm already on (And can only react with a plain old like).

This is only a problem on one of my devices, it works fine on desktop and on the phone I'm using to make this report, but it's still strange and an inconvenience and I'd really greatly appreciate guidance and information to fix it or understand it, thank you in advance!

IMG_20240316_163251_735.jpg
IMG_20240316_163255_477.jpg
IMG_20240316_163258_141.jpg
IMG_20240316_163300_273.jpg

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Huh, very strange. Just want to check and make sure I'm understanding these screenshots correctly--when you say you can't reply to threads/conversations, is that because the reply box that usually shows up just isn't there? Or is something else happening?

earls

Youngster
Pronouns
He/Him
Huh, very strange. Just want to check and make sure I'm understanding these screenshots correctly--when you say you can't reply to threads/conversations, is that because the reply box that usually shows up just isn't there? Or is something else happening?
Well, I'm not used to seeing this new reply box, usually when I click on the 'Reply' something like this shows up---
Screenshot_20240316-192051_Chrome.jpg
---A quote box with the text I'm responding to gets added to the text box where I type messages/comments and then I can put my input there

This new 'Reply to Conversation' screen isn't something I've seen before is what I'm saying, so I can only really guess that there is supposed to be a text box I can click on that will pull my keyboard up and then I can text, but there's nothing

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
@earls

Sorry for the delay in replying! I've looked into this a bit, and these sorts of issues (missing text boxes/unable to reply, odd reaction behavior) definitely exist, but generally seem to be something weird about the particular device rather than something that can be fixed on the forum owner side. Solutions people have found have varied from:

- Refreshing a lot (unlikely to help if you're seeing this persistently)
- Restarting the device
- Switching to the default Xenforo forum style
- Updating to the latest version of the OS/web browser (there are definitely some Android updates that have broken various elements of the text box in the past, so if you happen to be on one of them this could explain what you're experiencing)
- Disabling any adblockers (these can cause surprising behavior, because they at times manage to block things other than ads!)
- Clearing the browser cache and performing a forced refresh

Sorry that there are no real silver bullets here... there are any number of weird device/browser warts that could be causing problems. If you make it through this list and the problems persist, then I could maybe look into more specific solutions with additional detailed information about the device and browser (exact OS/browser versions), but probably there won't be a lot I can do on my end, unfortunately.

earls

Youngster
Pronouns
He/Him
@earls

Sorry for the delay in replying! I've looked into this a bit, and these sorts of issues (missing text boxes/unable to reply, odd reaction behavior) definitely exist, but generally seem to be something weird about the particular device rather than something that can be fixed on the forum owner side. Solutions people have found have varied from:

- Refreshing a lot (unlikely to help if you're seeing this persistently)
- Restarting the device
- Switching to the default Xenforo forum style
- Updating to the latest version of the OS/web browser (there are definitely some Android updates that have broken various elements of the text box in the past, so if you happen to be on one of them this could explain what you're experiencing)
- Disabling any adblockers (these can cause surprising behavior, because they at times manage to block things other than ads!)
- Clearing the browser cache and performing a forced refresh

Sorry that there are no real silver bullets here... there are any number of weird device/browser warts that could be causing problems. If you make it through this list and the problems persist, then I could maybe look into more specific solutions with additional detailed information about the device and browser (exact OS/browser versions), but probably there won't be a lot I can do on my end, unfortunately.
thank you! i did clear my browser's cache and that fixed it

Top Bottom