• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Blackout, or, A Wild Misunderstanding

Homestar!

Mikeposter/Galaxy-Brainer
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. nidoqueen
I totally misunderstood the bingo prompt. I thought we had to make one piece of something that formed a bingo. It wasn't until after I had outlined this ambitious 'blackout' piece that I re-read the instructions and realized that we were supposed to make one piece per prompt.

I really liked this idea anyways. So, here you go!
Fire and LightningI'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.Enter the Entralink
Three MusketeersRiding the SubwayToday, we're dancing for no reason.
AudinoVillage BridgeCelestial Tower's Chime

It was May again.

Since no-one could decide on the specific day that each found out about the other, the three women all agreed to meet on the first Saturday in May. They could usually get the day off, or already had it off. It meant they could make a day of things. Make the best from the worst, Corrie thought.

She leaned against the Entree, waiting patiently, thinking about the grass. The sky. The strange tree she dozed against. Veronica and Terra were quite the handful. But she loved them dearly, and for the third year in a row, she brimmed with excitement.

Veronica, tall and proud, appeared from thin air. She turned to thank a kadabra, who nodded and vanished. Then back again, with Terra, who started as she was blinked into existence. She never handled teleporting well, almost the antithesis of grace. The kadabra lingered as they said their hellos.

The affair always started a little quiet, a little awkward, even though this was the third year. They almost preferred the secrecy. Corrie didn’t even know any of their last names.

“So,” Veronica pushed through yet another awkward silence, “shall we?”

One at a time, the kadabra whisked them away. Corrie felt the pressing, sucking feeling of nothingness for only a flicker of a moment, and then they were in front of the tower. To put him to rest.

The tower usually loomed over them, but today it seemed a little more solemn. It stood. Just... stood. It had little character this time, Corrie thought. Just a tower. It was a good sign.

Corrie took a deep breath.

“Let’s get this over with!” Terra marched forward without hesitation.

Stairs, stairs, stairs, and then the roof. Corrie tried hard not to think about anything but exactly what she was doing.

“Who first?” Terra glanced at them both, then the bell.

“You know,” Veronica spoke, “I’ve made a lot of progress this year. I don’t think I need to.” Both her friends turned to her. She smiled gently, at ease, truly hiding nothing.

“Yeah? Over the bastard, too?” Terra smiled broadly. “Good. Same here. It’s a shame to see the tradi—”

Corrie rang the bell, hard. The chime cut clean across Terra’s words. They all jumped a little.

“Aw, Cor,” Terra soothed. Corrie didn’t turn, watching the lip of the bell buzz in the air. “I’m sorry.”

Corrie bit her lip. So was she.

They walked down the stairs in the antithesis of silence, Veronica and Terra filling the air with plans and gossip. Corrie trailed behind, content to listen.

“I think Corrie needs some help today,” Veronica suggested. Terra nodded with a wide grin. “There’s a place I like to go to clear my head.” She reached out to the slumbering kadabra, who nodded awake and reached for her hand.

In moments, they stood at the base of a wide, stone bridge. Veronica led them up it and to its center, where they sat and dangled their legs over the water. Corrie kicked her feet, playing a dangerous game with her flip-flops.

Terra and Victoria chatted and giggled, swapping stories. Corrie smiled and listened, leaning over a support wire. She watched an Audino wash itself on the far bank, pulling its pristine little spring-things out and gently working water into their lengths.

Corrie made some gentle kissing sounds, and it looked up with a start. They shared a quiet little moment. Then the Audino returned to work.

“So?” Veronica turned to Corrie, who turned back to her. “Are you feeling better about him?”

Corrie narrowed her eyes. She had been feeling better. But they were missing the point.

“Hey, you know what I love?” Terra cut the tension, pulling herself up.

Some time later, they were riding the subway to Undella town. It was loud, bumpy, and packed. Mostly because two trainers had gotten in a spat on one end of their car. Terra whooped as her darmanitan wrestled a gigalith to the ground, pinning it.

Corrie sat squished next to Veronica, wishing desperately that she wouldn’t say anything. Corrie was quite enjoying the darmanitan’s sudden game of ‘stop hitting yourself’ it had decided to play with its unwilling partner.

“You know,” Veronica spoke, “if you need to talk about it—”

She was cut off by a loud announcement of the approach to Undella Town station. Thank goodness.

They walked on the beach, each carrying their shoes to enjoy the sand. They happened to arrive at low tide, and enjoyed exploring the tidepools. Remoraid minnows scattered as their shadows flitted over them. They rolled a beached wailmer back into the water, who spouted with joy and beached itself several more times. Eventually they just left it to feign distress and wait for another playmate.

“Nothing like a day at the beach to get over— Hey! Corrie! Where are you going? Veronica, where is she...”

Corrie marched straight to the first bar she could find, barefoot, windblown, and irritated. She planted herself in the only empty stool and waited for the bartender to notice her.

“You look like you need a drink,” said a woman next to her. She was a little wild, yet uniformed. Just off work, perhaps. Corrie nodded bitterly. “Guy trouble?”

The opposite, she thought glumly.

“Two Yin-Yangs,” the woman called, raising a note in her fingers. Two large red-and-blue shots were placed in front of them in short order. The bartender used a car battery and jumper cables to light the shots with a shower of sparks.

“Call me Dart,” the woman said. Corrie shared her name, and the two clicked their glasses together and slammed them. The drink jolted Corrie’s tongue and burned her throat. Both women couldn’t suppress a jittering shudder.

“There you are!” Dart turned to the door. Corrie didn’t. Terra clapped her hands on her shoulders. “Well, didn’t expect this from you. What are we drinking?”

“Ah,” muttered Dart, catching Corrie’s eyes, “I think I get it.”

“If you needed a drink, all you had to do was ask,” Veronica chimed in behind them. “Who is this?”

“Call me Dart. Bartender!”

They moved to a booth in short order, and Dart introduced them all to Yin-Yangs. Corrie noticed Dart was paying close attention to her, which both flattered and annoyed her. For almost an hour, she relaxed and enjoyed their banter, completely free of reason. Four near-strangers, four fast friends, simply enjoying each other.

“What a wild way to wrap things up,” Terra slurred. Corrie didn’t hide her exhaustion. “Y’know, Dart, we meet up once a year to—”

“Hey, do you wanna go to a party?” Corrie lit up a little bit at Dart’s suggestion. The invitation was an open one, but the way she kept looking at her, Corrie couldn’t help but read something into it. Flirtation? Or simple grace? Either way she nodded. She decided she liked Dart, too.

In short order they all stumbled back to the train station. Black City soon sped to meet them.

They approached the venue, which happened to be the route gate. Corrie could already feel a far-too-loud bass rhythm pounding gently into the night air. Dart said she worked there, and they were throwing one of their monthly dance parties.

“I love dancing,” Veronica smiled, “when I was getting over him, it helped me—”

“It’s not about Charles!

All four women halted. Corrie wasn’t one to raise her voice, let alone the bellow she had just emitted.

“Don’t you get it?” She rounded on them. “Nobody had to ring the bell! And— and we’re done?! And that’s it!?” Emotion caught in her throat. Dart flicked her gaze between the other three.

“Why was this about him at all? Why was it ever about him?” Corrie angrily pushed the tears from her eyes. “I wanna be here with you two, but every year, it becomes about him.” She choked back a sob.

“Corrie,” Veronica spoke, her mouth not sure whether it was smiling or frowning, “I’m sorry, I had no idea.” Terra kicked at the ground, nodding.

“What happens next year?” Corrie’s voice trembled. Her tears finally rolled, hot and free.

“Same thing that’s gonna happen today,” Dart offered, a little unsure. The others turned to her. She thumbed over her shoulder at the guard post. They all became aware again of the pounding rhythm pouring from the wide open door.

“We dance, for no reason!”

Last edited:

Homestar!

Mikeposter/Galaxy-Brainer
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. nidoqueen
Fire and LightningI'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.Enter the Entralink
Three MusketeersRiding the SubwayToday, we're dancing for no reason.
AudinoVillage BridgeCelestial Tower's Chime

Fire and Lightning: The shots that the ladies do at the bar.
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.: Charles is the uniting factor for why the three girls meet up every year. He three-timed all of them.
Enter the Entralink: The girls meet up at the Entree to start things off.
Three Musketeers: Veronica (Virizion), Terra (Terrakion), Corrie (Cobalion), and Dart (because I wanted to use D'artagnan instead of Keldeo lmao)
Riding the Subway: Terra suggest they take the train to Undella Town, where she has a battle
Today, we're dancing for no reason.: The climax of the story, where they all decide to go to Dart's work/dance party in the Route 14 Route Gate.
Audino: Corrie watches one cleaning itself at...
Village Bridge: Veronica's favorite place to zen out.
Celestial Tower's Chime: The women have a tradition of "putting their ill-will of Charles to rest," where they each ring the bell.

kintsugi

golden scars | pfp by sun
the warmth of summer in the songs you write
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. silvally-grass
  2. lapras
  3. golurk
  4. booper-kintsugi
  5. meloetta-kint-muse
  6. meloetta-kint-dancer
  7. murkrow
  8. yveltal
heyo, wanted to drop in and leave some thoughts! Since this is a bingo thing I didn't really want to go too hard on the prose/line edits, so this review is pretty short.

Conceptually, ha, nice work managing to fit nine very different topics into a story. There were a few that felt kind of random (why did we start in the Entralink only to immediately teleport somewhere else? Why is there an audino? Why are we on the subway?) but in general I thought that having a montage-eqsue story that's just snippets of characters going about their day is a clever way to integrate a ton of disparate topics into one. I liked the reimagining of the "we're dancing for no reason" shitpost into something that's a little more meaningful--dance and art don't have to have meanings, life doesn't have to have closure, etc etc. I admit I didn't really pick up on the three musketeers bit until the author's note, but I don't think not knowing that affected my reading experience any, lol.

Conceptually I'm reminded (in an abstract way--I think these are quite separate in execution) of a musical called Six, which also focuses on a bunch of women having a day on the town getting over their mutual ex. What I found myself struggling with in this story was trying to figure out what Corrie/Veronica/Terra feel about each other, if they actually like each other, what the point of this day is for them--Corrie says she "loves them dearly" but then doesn't even know their last names, for example, and later describes them as "four fast friends" even though everyone besides Dart has apparently been friends for three years. For the most part they fall out of narration except when they're relevant to Corrie, and it's unclear if she actually likes them or if she just likes the idea of them, the idea of getting over Charles in a physical and tangible way. Which in some sense could be the point, but then the conclusion where Corrie vehemently insists it's about her and her friends, not Charles, rings (heh) a little flat. Ultimately: we get a good idea of what Charles means to Corrie, but we don't really see what Terra/Veronica/Dart's friendship means to her, so picking one over the other doesn't really feel like she likes Terra/Veronica/Dart more, just that she hates Charles less.

(I bring up Six because it's true--bonding with someone solely on the grounds that you both dated the same (shitty) guy once isn't really grounds for a fast friendship; you exist as a separate person outside of your relationships, etc etc. So instead of explaining why these people would actually want to be friends (despite having no interest in actually getting to know one another aside from the extent to which their lives still revolve around Charles), Six just yeets the premise that they're friends altogether and makes them very antagonistic until they can begin to understand one another on a deeper level than "my ex's ex").

Fun application of the bingo card though! Doing all 9 is a lot to juggle lmao.

Some very brief line-thoughts:
She leaned against the Entree, waiting patiently, thinking about the grass. The sky. The strange tree she dozed against. Veronica and Terra were quite the handful. But she loved them dearly, and for the third year in a row, she brimmed with excitement.
The beginning was a bit hard for me to follow--I think it's because you introduce two other characters with "she" pronouns (and they appear quite suddenly, literally dropped into the story) before finally naming Corrie in the next paragraph, so it's a little hard to pin down who's who/who's where.
It had little character this time, Corrie thought.
There's a few moments like this that I was curious about--if it has little character this time, what kind of character did it have before that she was expecting?
She was a little wild, yet uniformed. Just off work, perhaps.
I initially thought "uniformed" was metaphorical since it should be generally obvious what kind of uniform she'd be wearing (food service? armed forces? hospital scrubs?).

Last edited:
Top Bottom