• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Battling: How does it work in your fanfic?

BossCar

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/His
I figured it'd be fun to put my two cents in this!

1. Does the four move limit still exist? Do moves themselves exist?
Yes and yes. For very specific reasons. https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4407829/Flyg0n has a longer dissemination on my personal thoughts on why the 4 move limit is important and why I use it. As for in-universe biological reasons, it due to the way a pokemon's brain is wired. I haven't talked about it in-depth in my worlds story, but basically, a pokemon only really has four 'slots' in his brain where it can tap into to channel aura. In order to use a move at maximum potential and effectiveness, pokemon must channel aura. Which leads to my views on moves. In pokemon, all moves are aura. Aura is a multifaceted concept that takes many forms. It can be channeled in thousands of different ways.

A move is a physical manifestation of aura in a specific form. The aura use of an ember is different than flamethrower, and thunderbolt is different from thundershock and thunder. This is why certain moves can have special effects, such as Brick Break specifically being able to shatter light screen and reflect. This is also the reason why a pokemon like Rhydon can use Thunderbolt/Ice Beam. Aura is separate and distinct from a pokemon's biological capabilities.

It is important to note that using aura is very different from using a pokemon's natural abilities. Charmander using Flamethrower is not the same as it actually breathing fire. Slash the move is not the same as Scyther just trying to cut your head off. Aura moves are energy based and only chip away at the opposing pokemon's aura/energy. Using a natural ability could easily kill something. (Although pokemon and people are fairly hardy).

2. Do types and type advantages still exist?
Yes! Types and type advantages are separate from biological components as well. A typing refers to the internal energy a pokemon carries. (Naturally up to two max). Even though a Charizard looks like a dragon, it actually possesses internal energies of 'fire' and 'flying'.

I touched on this lightly in a chapter of my fic, but basically, a pokemon's moves and types are the purest representations of elements in our world. 'ice' isn't just cold water, but the purest form, the very concept of ice itself. Our ice or our fire is a mere shadow of theirs. Our idea of ice actually comes from pokemon. It's a bit of a nebulous concept, but the best way to explain it is simply to think of how a human cast a shadow. The shadow is human-shaped but it isn't a human. Our fire, our ice, our electricity are representations of the powers pokemon wield.

Each of these energies was specifically created at the beginning of the pokemon world to counterbalance each other.

3. What is the relationship between trainer and 'mon like in battle? Is it that of a master and servant, or more like a coach and athlete?
The closest representation is coach and athlete, but it really goes much deeper than that. Pokemon are fully sentient, but entirely separate in their way of life from humans. They are instinctual, competitive beings. Humans are... well, humans. You see, both humans and pokemon possess 'aura'. Now this aura isn't like the 'My Ash Ktechum is a super god who can fight pokemon and shoot lazerz'.

A pokemon bonded with a human gains protection and shares in their trainer's aura, drawing on their strength as well as its own internal strength. They also have the chance to grow stronger than they can alone. A human and pokemon aura, when brought together, will always exceed the sum of its parts. It is a perfect union, a marriage if you will. Peanut Butter and Jelly. A Golbat in the wild cannot evolve. But with a human it becomes possible.

The bond between human and pokemon is actually much closer to two brothers. Ideally, it should be a perfect synergy between two contrasting yet complementary beings, who together exceed anything apart.

Naturally, this doesn't apply to criminals. Criminals and evildoers who treat pokemon poorly actually have a 'negative' bond with their pokemon, which actually saps a pokemon's natural strengths, leaving them susceptible to injury.

EDIT: It should also be noted that as you get into the upper echelons of battling, calling attacks is less necessary, as the bond between pokemon and human will usually reach a point where yelling it isn't necessary, the pokemon can sense your intentions.

Case in point of why humans and pokemon are both important in battle :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU_3BniydHk

4. How violent are battles? Do they cause serious injury, or just a few light scratches?
Pokemon battles are not violent, not dogfighting, and not slavery. A battle is a contest of wills, wits and strength between two pokemon. Pokemon channel their own 'auras' in ways to create attacks, as mentioned above, and do battle. These attacks do very little serious harm to the opponent, beyond some slight bruising and scratching. This due to the protective aura a trained pokemon possesses. "fainting" is simply what occurs when a pokemon's body drops into a healing trance when they are exhausted.

Fighting past this point, or being forced to do so repeatedly however, can definitely hurt a pokemon.

Criminals and battles against evil-doers are another matter entirely, and they may and usually do, fight to kill.

I have a bevy of thoughts on the topic, but that covers the basics
I liked how you gave an in-universe explanation for the four move limit. I also understand your reasoning as a writer. I’m in the middle; I did away with the 4 move limit, but I prefer to cap it out at about 6-8 moves. I wanted to have more moves, but I didn’t want to go too crazy either.

Last edited:

Hiina-chan

Pokémon idol
Pronouns
She/her/hers
1. Does the four move limit still exist? Do moves themselves exist?
There is 4 move limit, but it's possible to use a move in many different ways or even combine moves like in the anime, making it kinda seem like different moves. Of course, this means moves exist. But It's possible to use physical attacks that aren't necessarily official moves. Like Valerie's Sylveon who ties up opponents with her bows in the anime.

2. Do types and type advantages still exist?
Types and type advantages do exist. Though it's possible for a move to do damage even though the opponent has immunity. But this is only possible through years of extremely rigorous training and very few have been able to endure it.

3. What is the relationship between trainer and 'mon like in battle? Is it that of a master and servant, or more like a coach and athlete?
It really depends on the trainer. Some trainers treat Pokémon as slaves, some as friends or equals, some have a purely professional relationship etc.

For example, the main character Hiina and her Alolan Vulpix Yuki are like best friends and equals in battle, thus they're always completely in synch.

This type of relationship is also something all top trainers have in common as it's really beneficial (but dangerous). Pokémon and trainers both share the same energy and if they're really close, they will even share their pain. Teamwork between Pokémon and trainer is also crucial as trainer are fairly active in battles, doing more than just shouting commands.

4. How violent are battles? Do they cause serious injury, or just a few light scratches?
Official league battles are always non-fatal as both killing and maiming are against the rules. But the Pokémon can still get severely injured and there can be quite a bit of blood in some cases.

Yap#2

Youngster
Even though i write mystery dungeon shit, ima still reply. 4 moves are still the max, and type advantages still are at play. Or if moves arent your fancy you can repeatedly shoot your opponent with a 9mm handgun or prison shank them to death. Whatever you perfer

BossCar

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/His
I feel like I should bring this up: I find battling to be a good way to practice descriptive writing. Here's an example from Chapter 11:
“Use Flash Cannon, then follow it up with Dragon Pulse!” Hydreigon narrowly evades Tyranitar's repeated attempts to land a blow via rapidly moving from side to side. At the same time, small orbs of silver energy begins to form and merge inside of the purplish, black dragon’s main mouth. Then, as Tyranitar remains in close proximity, Hydreigon fires off a large silver beam. Tyranitar’s hit in the upper chest, slightly above the diamond-shaped section that decorates the middle of his chest.

As Tyranitar staggers from the powerful, super attack, a black sphere of energy forms in front of all three of Hydreigon’s mouths. Hydreigon launches all three spheres, which immediately morph and merge into a gigantic black dragon with red eyes, wings, talons, and a line of spikes running down its . The dragon formation causes a screeching gust of wind as it crashes into Tyranitar’s upper chest, sending him stumbling backwards.
Hydreigon definitely didn't summon this via Dragon Pulse, btw:
1619373394757.png

Katanaeyegaming

#FearTheWyvern
Battles in most of my universes can include weapons, Pokemon moves or flat our fist fights.

They are hella violent in a lot of cases and I will admit they go overkill.

Top Bottom