• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Battles and your tales

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
What's your favorite, least favorite, or most IP battle scene/fight you've ever done? Do you embrace or avoid combat in your tales? How do the mechanics of combat work in your stories? Is it formalized, 'mon vs 'mon, do humans get their hands into the thick of things?

Tips on how you tackle them, feel free to share those too.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Love me some battles! My stories are generally fairly battle heavy (watch me reaching for a battle scene when I'm unsure of how to structure a one-shot, lol), and I always appreciate a great battle scene in stories that I'm reading, too. Some of my favorite fights that I've written are the Indigo League tournament battles in the middle of Salvage. It's not often I can justify going all-out with the most powerful pokémon and complex strategies, so those were a lot of fun to write. I can't really recall a least favorite as such, but oof, the battle in Chapter 13 could definitely stand to be condensed.

Trainer battles in my fic are generally pretty formal--more or less anything can happen out on the trail, technically, but usually people keep it clean and it's just pokémon going back and forth the way you see in the games and anime. And in gym battles and large tournaments, the rules are strictly enforced! But when pokémon are battling not for fun or prizes, when it's a matter of going up against the "bad guys" or breaking into a place or similar, then all bets are off, and it's not uncommon for the trainers to get caught up in the action, too.

I have a lot of thoughts wrt battle-writing tips; someday I really do intend to write up a guide to writing pokémon battles, heh. But in the interest of brevity, probably the most important thing is to understand the battle's role in the story! Battles shouldn't happen because the writer feels obligated to include them, like they "need" to show what happened in this gym battle. They should be advancing plot and/or characterization somehow. They often take up a lot of words, and when done poorly, they're frequently pretty dire, so I think it's important to really step back and ask yourself why you're writing a battle here instead of having it happen off-screen.

Nikita Dracovish

Bug Catcher
I try to make them interesting - not to dump on the anime, but having been around since Serebii was brand-spanking-new, a lot of it can feel rote or obligatory. I really feel like stuff like beating down the Teams and Masterminds (especially in Go, Masters, etc.) was more interesting than the League stuff, because there's the implication of not being held down by League rules - Brandon's assault on the HQ in the Generations was really interesting for that reason.

Top Bottom