• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Announcement & Discussion

R10 Announcement – High Tiers, BL Stances, Z-Burst, Second Ascent
  • Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
    Staff
    Partners
    1. flygon
    2. charizard
    3. milotic
    4. zoroark-soda
    5. sceptile
    6. marowak
    7. jirachi
    A little belated... Welcome to round 10! A LOT has happened during and after this boss fight. To recap: Seven player characters have been killed and are now trapped in the Voidlands with no immediate means to return. The goal of round 10 is, clearly, to see if there is a way to return them, and what costs and achievements may be required to achieve that. There are, additionally, other story events happening in conjunction with this that are open for exploration.

To go along with that, we have a few housekeeping things to go over.

Signups will close at the end of this round! If you know anybody who is hesitant to join or is otherwise waiting on something, you may want to tell them that the window is closing fast.

Nerf. Flinch is getting nerfed, and I'm surprised you guys haven't taken advantage of it until now! But the nerf is pretty simple. It now cuts actions in half, rounding up, rather than rounding down.

Crippling/Cursed Strike and Ultra Stone as an item cannot be done. It only applies to Iron Thorns, Blast Seeds, and their derivatives.

Buff. Great Shot is the same, but also makes fixed-damage projectiles like Blast Seeds Deal 5x damage!

And now, for some fun stuff...

Second Ascent (20 points!) has been unlocked! Similar to First Ascent, you are now able to reset your stats, Support abilities, talents, Leg Days, and, yes, your Blacklight Boost. Note, however, that you will not be able to adjust anything like this again for a very long time. Think very carefully, because I will not be letting you change it until near the very end of the game.

Seeing Joule's final attack toward the sky has irradiated the team... Brilliant moves have been unlocked! This will be your first high-tier Blacklight attack. The parameters are as follows...
    All Brilliant move...
    Starts with "Brilliant" in its title
    Costs 40 stamina, and therefore adds 80 corruption
    Be ANY SINGLE CHOICE from...
    -200 power
    -800 to a debuff
    -400 to a non-powerful status effect
    -200 to a powerful status effect
    -MAX a single stat
    -buff two stats by +6
    -buff three stats by +4
    -Some mixture of the above, or other weird or related effects. These are your most powerful, expensive, and unwieldy techniques. They can be quite powerful. Recoil and negative effects, therefore, may also be similarly hard to use.

And to those who are dead... you do not gain access to Brilliant moves just yet. Instead, you gain access to your high-tier Shadows--Void moves. Aside from beginning with "Void" and adding Shadow corruption, the parameters are the same.

(For Support folks, you can add another +1 to a stat, raising the cap to +3!)

If you guys are unsure about how much you can do with these moves, wait a bit for Owen's to get finalized and you'll have a reference.

But wait, there's more!

Joule's radiation has resonated with the team in a big way... They may start realizing that aspects of their bodies might change when under stress or need.

The Brilliant Stance has been unlocked for all living party members!
    A Stance, similar to Guardian Stance, is something that can be taken as a free action at any point during the battle. Note, however, that there are some caveats that come with this unstable new form...
    Upon enabling Brilliant Stance, the user will gain 40 Radiant corruption. This cannot be reduced by Spirit perks. For every turn with Brilliant Stance enabled, they will gain another 40 Radiance. However, in exchange, they will gain the following perks:
    +1 innate Attack
    +1 innate Magic
    And if they started the turn at half stamina or less, their stamina consumption is reduced by 25%!
    In order to exit Brilliant Stance, you must sacrifice one action to Focus, and you can then optionally end Brilliant Stance.

For the dead...

Prolonged exposure to the Voidlands has corrupted your spirits. You have gained the Void Stance. It works similarly to Brilliant Stance, but adds to Shadow corruption, and instead adds the following benefits:
    +1 innate Defense
    +1 innate Resistance
    And if you start the turn at half HP, all damage you take is reduced by 25%!

For both of these forms, entering this Stance will result in your body changing either subtly or dramatically in appearance. It can be as subtle as a golden or black aura around your body, or as dramatic as an entire form change. Mechanically, it makes no difference.

Perhaps, in a later round, these Stances will change into something you can harness in another way...

B u t w a i t t h e r e ' s m o r e

One last thing.

The attack you managed to get Joule to perform at the very end of the battle, with the efforts of Team Spectrum and several others... The team was inspired! And perhaps, if Joule is feeling better, he will be able to teach you this special, purifying technique, known as Blacklight Z-Burst.

This is a special move that everyone can use, but there are some hefty conditions attached to it. Here is the move description:

Blacklight Z-Burst. Power: Variable. Target: Single. Physical or Special.
    Type is determined by if the user's relevant corruptions are above 20 or not. Fails if the user does not have 20 or more corruption in either type. Blacklight Z-Burst can only be used once per battle, and only as the final action of someone's turn. Its power is equal to the corruption that the user has added up. For example, if someone has 90 Shadow and 40 Radiance, it will be power 130. Additionally, prior to attacking, it will give the user +2 Valor and fully heal the user's HP and Stamina. However... it will also, for the rest of the battle, cut the user's max HP and Stamina in half. This is incurable. It will also disable Reviver Seeds, makes the user Staggered, and sets your corruption to 0 and 0. This is a powerful tool, but use it wisely.

--

WHEW! Sorry for all that, but you guys unlocked a lot due to your performance against Joule. Very good work, everyone. And finally... some plot scenes.

Ongoing: Cola in Destiny Tower; Diyem, Joule, and Arceus at the infirmary.
    Key scenes later:
    (circumstances pending) Visiting the Tree of Life
    A scene with Shield some time during a night
    Searching for Giovanni

High priority NPCs for plot and personal reasons, in no particular order:
    Shield & Karat
    Diyem
    Maple & Joule
    Soda
    Truffle & Leg
    Arceus
    Cola
    S'more
    Balm & Cepa
    Silver

That's all for now. Thanks again, and welcome to the second half of the campaign! Let's get serious.

Last edited:
    R12 Announcement – Second High-tier, 15 FL
  • Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
    Staff
    Partners
    1. flygon
    2. charizard
    3. milotic
    4. zoroark-soda
    5. sceptile
    6. marowak
    7. jirachi
    Good work on yet another impressive run! You guys were able to catch onto a LOT of new changes immediately, and I'm genuinely impressed at how well you were able to pull it all off. I suspect that the next round will be even smoother to make up for it.

I am hoping that you guys can keep up that trend of calculating your side of things for me, because that was incredibly helpful. With that in mind, I think I am going to permanently expand the FL lineup to 15. Under almost all circumstances, I think that will cover everyone who can make it to the fight, since I suspect statistically not everyone will be able to every time. But you'll have to hold up your end of the bargain, too! Thanks again for taking on that responsibility.

I think, going forward, there are a few things that will be very helpful for me and you.

Things that were very good, which I want to keep, include:
    The raw log template that I showed you all that depicts the actions taken, the multipliers when relevant (for both status and so on), and the net effects of each turn player-side. For example, corruption, stat boosts, HP healed, stamina lost or gained, special conditions acquired, and final location.

Additionally, at the very end of the doc, or where relevant if the status effect procs right then, the "projected" net effect of all status ailments and debuffs on a boss in total. I can adjust manually if something unexpected or unknown to players happens; otherwise, knowing the net effect also trims down my time and gives me more opportunity to flavor and perform the enemy-side actions.

--

Also, with a minor event that will happen later on in the round, Void and Brilliant moves are now fully unlocked! A lot of you gave them in advance; consider your confirmed moves now officially added! And with it, another +1 to a Support stat, to a cap of +3 total, is available.

I believe there is also a lot that Jackie wanted to go over regarding how we can better streamline turns during combat. Looking forward to seeing what that covers.

Top Bottom