• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon A New Path

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
Chapter 19
Review blitz

Its interesting to see the world building in play. Yes gym leaders are athletes. But so much more. I imagine clamps will be slapped down after all this boils over but for now theyre all but untouchable.

Which is part and partial of interpols problems. I suspect per Gio's ah (spoiler) excapades about that holiday and his stance as a gym leader and a buisnessman he could drive kanto to cede from the other regions. I susoect it might be a desperation ploy up his sleeve when the noose tightens since facts presentrd to the masses rarely change minds.

On the flip side it makes poor may live in a pressure cooker. How was her dad in this canon because game verse and anime verse he was horrid. Also you can see the first shipping is docked and ready to be named... Well at least past adventure five years ago may/ash ship was doing well.

Now a days i suspect trauma has sunk that ship and then some. Unless may and ash get a chance to heal and talk and considering the friction ash talking to mallow caused... I dint see it hapoening easily. Also ashs new guardedness and role is going to be problematic.

Ash: Well you see in my first battle i didnt know my typing so i hit the sprinkler system in an accidental desperation move... And it worked... And brock was cool enough to roll with it.

May and half the universe that missed season one: say what?

Ash: lets say pokemon masterage is really really complicated?

Gah these two are too sweet and bouncing off of each other... Dying... Need sugar stabalizer... Insuline... Help...

So were on a training montage. This feels a lot more fitting then mid combat by far... And looker is both tutor and troll. Still the old mans gotta get his funsies somehow.

Ash and Anabel clapped their hands together. In that moment,

Clasped instead of clapped? Otherwise it spunds like a hand clappong game...

Also. Honestly i'd suggest them train with and without it because they might not always had that ace in thier sleeve.
And pain sharing is a weakness of.this trick. I'm surprised he didnt grab the stunned anabel and body shild her to take ashs attack since they were that close.

Again with stopping ash he can shove ash into anabel. Tangle them up...

I'd quibble a bit on the part where ash leaps over anabel, lands a kick, then goes into a roundhouse kick without recovering/detailing the after math of getting looker the first time. Beyond that missong transition the fight worked out pretty well.

And from combat we get to max amd may. Mays settled well into her chosen world of shows in all aspects. Even if it sounds loke an executive nightmare.

So mays put her skills as a top tier prize. Gutsy but it shows her confidence is up. Its a shame thier parents dont seem to approve of either of them at the moment but then norman was that type of.guy in most canon.

Max: attempting to fangirl
May: slaps hands over her brothers mouth because shes been there.
May has aquired a friendship point from steven and cyntjia as a result...

So question has the cyrus/giratina disaster already happen in anime canon at this point or no? Because that changes the tenor of cynthias ruin interest/obsession either way.

Cynthia: i know my way around whips.

Both max and may miss the emphasis because of youth.

Looker gets the opposite of a goose on his grave sensation and pet starts seething because he knows that look on looker.

As so when somones waging mental warfare its literal for a psychic. Amabels nice not to memtion the donphan dancing through his defenses .

I'm surprised that anabel needs to tell them they can be taken over. It happened to ash as in it was the start.of his world falling apart and latis is a paychic type... Just a quibble.

Ah so we are expanding the anabelle option. Love how the mon use ash as a barometer for densness.

Wait... Four for movie night. (Counts in fingers) Looker, Ash, Anabel, and Pet. For movie night. Thats gunna be exciting i can only imagine the cat fight in whether "sharkpedo nado" counts as kajui flick and if godzilla (salamancezilla?) And kingPrimate is the better flick choice.

Of course looker is going to go over ashs records. I wonder if pets forwarding them to gio as well.

Love how.the convo is on two very.different levels. Ash is totally talking platonic sparring, the shrink is clearly thinking other things and looker is kinda head desking because you can bring ash to interpol but not take the social oblivioisness out of ash. I swear the boys demisexual.

As for the rest of it you'd wish real life military decompression and v.a. care was as decent... I will give interpol credit in that regard. No one wants the man with ties to a legend going off the rails...

Laughs looker verses pet never gets old. I kinda am a pet' fan for both spoiler reasons and how duplicious the guy is... Anabels got her side. Ash is being wishiwashy. I'll be paceholder until ash comes to the dark side (or not).

As soon as i read on the tech my inner geek went "reverse engeneer that puppy, rah rah rah".

And as he hears the name ash takes a small peck of trauma damage. I am wincing with him at this point.

They are setting anabel up to mole. Oh god this is going to go so bad ... I mean if (spoiler) can give gio a warning then they'll avoid the pitfall and get the other juicy psychics instead...

But between that and ash getting trotted out on the playing field interpol is milking this hard. I'd almost suggest Rocket not crashing the event and picking off people based off of how they did after the event (interpol cant spread themselves out to cover everyone when everyones going home after all).

But they wont. Meglomanias gunna defang them befire interpol does...

Looker and interpol: oh boy we can infultrate Rocket!
Ash: oh got my sickeningly sweet sweetheart is going to be there... Help!
Lat: all this skating over her scaley head
Anabel: too irritated with doing a job she thought she'd got out of thus not noticing ashs new issue.
Pet: nomming popcorn.

When the masses troop down to start ashs contest training pet drifts off. A few minutes later others drift in with score cards and cameras.

Anabel: you sold tickets!

Pet:(huffily) i was paid to provide quality immersion, thank you very much. (Goes back to loudly munching.)

Last edited:

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
Chapter 20
Blitz review

The flash backs a good way to bring people up to speed on the previous seasons. I means theres been over 200 episodes and as someone who tapped out of the anime season two it helps so much.

We flip from exposition to back to interpol and musing on how the public precieves them. Never understood the alure of flashy rather then utility...

Then we flip to may and her contest woes... Before going forward i could argue that unless we saw people bad mouthing, deriding, or interpols import in action that whole buildup to the man at the desk passing the instructions could have been culled.

Ashs actions in interpol showed all thsi already. The man at the desk shows interpol has feelers even in weird spots, everything else was excessive telling and could be cut.

May is never goong to get cynthias help with everything ever again. This event is going to be the barometer that cynthia draws on to nope out of everything else....

Love how even in disguise ash is wearing a trench coat. Even before the name, before bewear i was like... Yeah thats ash. Theres going to be a point where he cant wear one (via laundry day or a disguise) and the world will end or more realistically looker will find ash lost and blue screen of deathing in front of a mens clothing section in a store.

Ashs routine: lets traumatize everyone with a "maul me with a light show" event.
The judges: dying
Pet': skiming the judges life insurance policies and making a killing as a result.

Considering kygore and groudon bring in the same place triggers armageddon i can imagine thier complains with a chummy legend pokong in and suggesting bonding time. These two feel fairly reflective of canon and funnily enough an inverse to the Teams surrounding them. Aqua being gregatious and Magma cool and taciturn... Its an interestong contrast and makes sense at least why kygore rolled over, slapped Archie like a pesky alarm clock, and klonked out for another five years.

Still lat's encounter feels a bit foreshadowy. Theyre content now not to do much and kygores overt sadism dont spell long term stability.

Poor bruno jr. Doesn't stand a chance. Laughs i am with pet' on mayo. The texture and taste are just... Ung. Looks dont help it either. As for lat's taste in pizza i imagone half of Team Rocket (probably the italian members with working tastebuds) winced away in horror and don't know why. I suppose lat can jist psychically project the flavor into others mouths and watch half the combatants ralph up... A sort of mass poison attack.

Also i can imagine the battle over who brings what (foodwise) to stakeouts is insane.

And we go from chow to pet wanting to add a few points of sanity into the world. I half wish ash hadnt stopped pet... The other half is laughing... And wondering what poor smuck is getting stalked by these two smokescreen agents.

I've always eonder why Rocket didnt let them get caught/lose then have planted copers (or innocent ones) just funnel the pokeballs into "league sanctioned tech" that scanned everything. Installed trackers. And dropped the rarer mon into Rockets database rather then the center and claim "technical difficulties". Granted these two didnt get enough mon for the trick to work but the jessie james heist from the original season would have worked.

And after butchering poor bruno jr. If he gets Max next the poor kid is going to be murdered... I'm surprised the judges didnt yank ash off the other trainer after he maimed that machamp. Especially if they disaprove so strongly...

So thought... I know you have a contest about interpol and shipping but another prize could be a fight scene with a readers fav mon against ash. A back and forth sort of battle that could be a standalone or cameo in a battle section like this one...

Last edited:
Chapter 21

TheCouchEffect

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
He/His
Chapter 21: Better Halves

Sinnoh, Lake Valor, Three Years Ago

Success is where preparation and opportunity meet.

May had been preparing for years. Each day as a Coordinator was a chance for her to become stronger. A new Pokemon to train and raise; a new technique to hone to perfection; and a new strategy to devise.

Opportunity had been just as frequent. Her chance meeting with Ash had given her both a teacher and a journey for the ages. Walking the path of a Coordinator gave her a dream to pursue. With each new hurdle or danger set before her came a chance to improve. Even defeat was a chance to learn from her mistakes and grow stronger.

It had all culminated in her finest hour.

Years of traveling the world and competing in Contests had led her to the Sinnoh Grand Festival. With each victory, she rose above her competition, defeating every rival that stood in her way until finally…

She won.

The Ribbon Cup was hers. No one could deny her skill now. Her fans and detractors alike all saw her ascend to the rank of Top Coordinator. Even so far away from her homeland of Hoenn, the people showered her in adoration.

Sitting in her hotel room, May stared at the solid gold trophy on her nightstand. While it lacked the emerald star of Hoenn, the diamond ribbon of Sinnoh was immaculate. Moonlight shined through the nearby window, the diamond sparkling in the light.

It was beautiful… and it was all hers.

May collapsed backwards onto her bed, bouncing on the mattress. Laughter escaped her as she beamed up at the ceiling. Despite the hours since her victory, the euphoria was still fresh. She didn’t think she’d stopped smiling since.

A knock at her door made her pause. Who could be bothering her at this hour? There was a whole celebration going! Even if she wasn’t there, everyone else would surely take the chance to party.

Her curiosity won out. Hopping to her feet, she strode over to the door and pulled it open. What greeted her was a boy her age with a mop of emerald hair, a stylish purple jacket, and sea-green eyes.

She blinked. “Drew? What are you still doing here?”

Her rival chuckled, clutching his chest in mock hurt. “Ouch. And here I thought we were close.”

May smirked. “Sure we are… a bit like a bad rash, but sure.”

“Glad to see your victory hasn’t dulled your wit.” Drew drawled.

“With you as a rival? I’d never get a moment's peace otherwise.” May crossed her arms. “Figured you would have left by now.”

“Am I not allowed to enjoy the party?” He asked with a grin.

“I’d love it if you would, but you always cut out before any real celebration can be done. Even when you win, you’re the first person out the door.”

It was something that always confused her about Drew. For all his boasting, he didn’t seem to like the fame that came with being a Coordinator. His interviews with the press were always short, he seemed to treat his fame like an annoyance more than anything else, even his approach to Contests differed from anyone else’s. More analytical and calculated.

She just didn’t get him, sometimes.

“So, are you going to tell me why you’re here?” She asked again.

“I was trying to do you a favor. Both of you.” He sighed dramatically. “But if all I’m gonna get is this lip, I shouldn’t have bothered.”

“Both?” She muttered. “What are you talking about-”

Drew stepped aside before she could finish, flicking some hair out of his face and gesturing for someone else to move forward. She didn’t have to wait long to find out who it was. The instant they stepped out from behind the corner and she saw a familiar set of chocolate eyes accompanied by a Pikachu on their shoulder?

Her smile grew twofold. “Ash!”

The boy in question raised his hand, waving at her. “Hey, May. It’s been a while.”

Pikachu hopped from his Trainer’s shoulder towards her. Old reflexes surfaced, and she caught him against her chest. The electric mouse nuzzled his cheek against her, licking her skin with his tiny tongue.

She giggled. “I missed you too, Pikachu. You’re looking so much stronger than last time we met.”

He cheered in confirmation, flexing his tiny paws in her arms.

Off to the side, Drew rolled his eyes. Turning to leave, he waved over his shoulder. “You’re welcome. Have fun, you two.” He paused, turning back with a teasing glint in his eyes. “Try not to have too much fun, though. You’ve got an early morning tomorrow, Ms. Maple.”

The greenette was gone before she could retort. Suppressing a growl, she shook her head.

She’d get her revenge later.

For now, she had an old friend to spend time with!

Once the two of them stepped inside her hotel room, she kicked the door shut behind her. She set Pikachu down on the ground, scratching his ears when he tilted his head up at her.

“As excited as you were to see me, I think there’s someone who’ll be even happier to see you.” She teased.

The golden mouse blinked. “Pika?”

Without another word, she unclasped a Pokeball from her belt. A single click of the button released a familiar icy blue fox. A chill momentarily overcame the room before quickly petering out as Glaceon raised her body temperature to compensate for their presence.

The instant the mouse and the fox locked eyes, they both lit up with excitement. While they rushed around the room and chattered mindlessly, May and Ash smiled at one another. Their Pokemon were always just as happy to see each other.

May quickly pulled Ash into a hug, one he readily returned. It was tight and warm. The flames of their past friendship still burned true, even all this time later.

“It’s so good to see you again.” She pulled back, resting her hand above his heart. “What are you doing here, though? I thought you were traveling through Unova.”

The raven-haired boy snatched his hat off his head, tossing it on the bed beside them. “You told me you made it to the Grand Festival, so I thought I’d come support you in person.”

Blinking, she stared at him. He’d gotten a lot taller since they traveled together. “You mean you’ve been here the whole time?”

“Not exactly.” He sheepishly rubbed the back of his head. “I tried, but my boat got delayed. I only got here in time to see your final match and the trophy ceremony.”

She smiled, plopping down on the edge of the bed. “You should have told me. I could have helped get you here sooner.”

One perk as the daughter of a Gym Leader and her reputation as a famous Coordinator was how eager others were to help you. She could probably have gotten him an express flight on a private jet if she asked the right people.

She was honestly a bit sad he didn’t tell her. If he had, she could have had him here for the entire festival.

“I wanted to surprise you.” Ash shrugged. “And it worked! You definitely seem happy to see me.”

A teasing glint entered her eyes. “Who says I’m happy to see you? Maybe it’s Pikachu I missed. He is pretty cute, after all.”

Glaceon chirped in agreement from the corner where she had trapped the electric rat. He shot the two of them with a pleading look.

Which neither of them noticed.

Ash frowned. “Guess you’re stuck with me as a consolation prize.”

Chuckling, she grabbed his hand and pulled him down onto the bed next to her. “Oh, hush. You know I’m just joking. I really am happy to see you.”

He pouted, trying and failing to hide the amused lilt to his voice.. “It wouldn’t hurt to show it a bit more.”

She rolled her eyes, leaning close to him. Close enough to smell the faint scent of the sea breeze and pine that followed him everywhere. “Oh? And how would you want me to show it? Fishing for a kiss?”

It was astonishing how fast his face turned red. His eyes widened and his mouth hung open, frozen in place. “N-no! That’s not what I wanted at all!”

She leaned back in mock hurt, hand clutching her chest. “What? Am I not good enough for you?”

He grabbed her by the shoulders, frantically shaking his head from side-to-side. “No, you’re perfect! Really! Any guy would be lucky to get a kiss from you!”

A fuzzy feeling washed over her. It felt like there were Beautifly’s swarming in her stomach, even as her face heated up. Soon enough, her cheeks were nearly the same shade as Ash’s.

Pikachu and Glaceon snickered quietly from the other side of the room.

Not one to back down from a challenge, however, May leaned forward. Her tongue darted from her lips, gently gliding over her bottom lip. “Does that include you?”

“Y-yes- I mean no- I mean I-” The teenage boy let go of her shoulders and slumped forward, groaning into his hands. “There’s no answer where I win this, is there?”

She giggled, patting him on the back. “Nope. Looks like I win again!”

That made a couple hundred for her and none for him.

It was good to be the queen. Or princess, as her title may be.

“You’re evil.” He grumbled.

“All’s fair in love and war, Ash.” She teased. “Did you bring those friends of yours with you? Iris and Cilan, right?”

The two made a point of staying in contact over the years. Whenever they were in civilization, they always tried to reach out with either a message or a conversation. It helped keep their friendship alive.

His two newest companions sounded nice. Just the sort of eccentric people he always attracted to his side. If his journey through Unova was anything like Hoenn, they must have been loyal too. Loyal enough to endure the insanity that followed him wherever he went.

She couldn’t wait to meet them.

Ash shook his head. “No, they stayed in Unova. They were too busy to come with me.”

What a shame. She’d just have to find another time.

“Maybe I’ll meet them at your victory party after you conquer Unova then.” She nudged him in the side with her shoulder. “So, how long are you staying?”

“Not long. Just a week, then I need to head back to Unova if I’m gonna make it in time for the League.”

She cursed under her breath. Damn that ship for delaying so long! They could have had a month together otherwise!

No use mourning what never happened. Better to spend it making the best of what they had.

“Guess we’ll just have to cram as much fun into a week as we can.” May snatched his hat off the bed behind her, placing it atop his head. “Come on. There’s a party going on, and as the woman of the hour, I think it’s about time I celebrated.”

Ash smiled. “I’m surprised you weren’t down there already.”

“I just didn’t have anyone to celebrate with.” She snatched his hand, dragging him up with her. “Now let’s go before all the good food at the buffet is gone!”

Ash chuckled behind her, gesturing for Pikachu and Glaceon to follow them. “I really have missed you, May. This is gonna be a great week.”

May couldn’t help but agree.

She’d make sure it was one neither of them could ever forget.

"How're you feeling, Looker?"

Looker glanced up from his seat at the dining room table towards the Sinnoh Champion. The morning sun shined through the curtains of the hotel window, casting the room in an orange glow. After Cynthia had kidnapped him, they’d spent all of yesterday and last night catching up. Reminiscing about old adventures and making up for lost time.

In more ways than one.

The two of them had only just gotten out of the shower a few moments ago. Their hair was still damp, and the bathrobes they wore clung to their bodies. While Looker may not have had a taste for the finer things in life, the hotels bathrobes might have to be an exception.

He foresaw an impulse purchase with a five finger discount in his future.

Looker shifted in place. “Still a little sore, but refreshed. I should be fine by tomorrow.”

The blond chuckled, gliding around to his side of the table and sitting on the edge of it. She smiled down at him, cocking her head to the side. “I’m glad to hear I wasn’t too rough with you. I know I can get a little… carried away, sometimes.”

He rested a hand on her thigh, giving it a gentle squeeze. “I’d be a pretty poor agent if I couldn’t handle a little pain.”

“No regrets?” She asked.

Looker tapped his chin in thought. “Hmm… well, my back aches, my pelvis is sore, and I’m pretty sure some of those marks you left will leave a scar.” He smirked. “Completely worth it.”

Cynthia rolled her eyes. “Charmer.”

He snatched a mug of black coffee from the table, toasting her dramatically. “I try.”

“So, when are you going to tell me why you’re really here?” She asked.

He took a tactical sip of his drink, closing his eyes. “I’m here for security. You already know that.”

She tsked, sliding off the table. “You’d think Interpol would teach you to lie better than that.”

“It’s the truth.” He countered. “You’ve always seen through my lies, so I don’t bother anymore.”

It was much easier to use the truth, anyway. People stopped digging deeper once their initial suspicions were debunked. Technically speaking, Looker was here to protect the festival. He just also had other, more important duties to focus on.

Baiting Team Rocket into a trap was tricky business, after all.

“Yet still, you somehow find a way to avoid answering my questions.” She leaned forward, brushing her hair behind her ears. “What if I promised to keep it secret? I’d make it worth your while.”

Tempting… very tempting. It was a rare man indeed who could refuse Cynthia when she put her mind to something. Whether by strength or by charm, she usually got what she wanted in the end. He knew that better than anyone.

Cynthia wasn’t an agent, but she was an asset. Her skills as a Trainer and her expertise in the field of archeology had come in handy during the Galactic crisis a few years ago. He was confident that she wasn’t in Team Rocket’s pocket. Her morals were too strong to allow that.

He couldn’t risk it, though. If she knew what they were planning, she’d never allow it to go through. The danger to the civilians and their Pokemon would make any reasonable person balk. If they could use the chaos to track them back to their base and destroy whatever Project Ambrosia was?

It would all be worth it.

“Afraid not.” He eventually told her. “It’s not the sort of thing you can help with. This isn’t the sort of problem you shake a big stick at and hope it works. It requires a more… delicate touch.”

“Heavens know you’ve got that.” She teased.

He grinned. “Who do you think taught me?”

Cynthia shrugged and stretched her arms above her head.

He certainly didn’t object to the view.

“Fine, fine. Keep your secrets.” She took a seat on the other side of the table, dropping some sugar cubes into her hot chocolate. “There is one other thing I’m curious about, though.”

He tilted his head aside. “What is it?”

“Spartan.” Cynthia leaned forward, resting her chin atop cupped hands. “Who is he?”

Looker didn’t answer right away. He took a slow sip of his coffee, mulling over what answer he could give her. He knew what Cynthia was like. Present her with a mystery, and she’d never stop digging until she got an answer. It was why she adored being an archeologist. In another life, she could have been a detective.

He set his cup down and leaned back in his chair. “Why do you want to know?”

“Not many people show the kind of strength he did yesterday.” She said. “Even for an Interpol agent, he impressed me.”

Looker shrugged. “We train our agents to be efficient and ruthless. It gives us a leg up over our opponents.”

“It wasn’t just that. I’m talking about the skill and power of his Pokemon, not just his mindset.” She clarified. “He beat someone on the verge of becoming one of the Elite Four. He must be strong.”

Stronger than she knew.

“He’s got a gift with Pokemon. Somehow, he manages to bring out the best in them.” He told her. “I reckon he has the strength of a Champion.”

Or would, if he had a full team. It was such a shame they couldn’t take the Pokemon from Oak’s lab without tipping off the authorities. The heat that would bring down on Ash’s loved ones just wasn’t worth the risk.

“I agree. Just how did you recruit him? And more importantly, where?”

Looker grimaced. “He was in a bind. Stuck his nose where he shouldn’t have, and angered some dangerous people. If it weren’t for us, he’d be dead by now.”

“And in return, he works for you as an agent. A fair trade.” Cynthia hummed in thought. “Is he anyone I know?”

“He did make a pretty big splash in the competitive scene in his past. Maybe you saw one of his matches.”

He was almost certain she had. After the three of them helped bring down Galactic together, it was practically guaranteed she watched his Sinnoh League matches. With how many stand out trainers there had been in the past couple of years, however, she’d be hard pressed linking it back to Ash.

Cynthia leaned back and crossed her arms over her chest, sighing. “I guess it doesn’t matter who he is. If he’s working with you, he must be a good man.”

“Better than most I’ve met.” Looker said.

“Do you need me to rig the judging in his favor?” She asked. “You put him in the contests, so you must need him to do well.”

He quirked an eyebrow. “Never thought I’d see you offer to bend the rules.”

She grinned. “If it’s for a good cause, I can occasionally get a bit flexible.”

Looker traced his finger along the rim of the cup. “I won’t turn down help if you’re offering it. Thank you, Cynthia. I appreciate it.”

Ash wouldn’t, but what he didn’t know wouldn’t hurt him. With both Anabel and Cynthia stacking the odds in his favor, it would all but guarantee he made it far. People loved an underdog story; what could be better than the mysterious bad boy from nowhere defeating world renowned Coordinators?

“It’s no trouble. If he can maintain the same quality he showed yesterday, this will all be pointless. I can tell you for a fact that both Anabel and May thought highly of him.” She giggled. “Fist fighting a Bewear… the sheer insanity of it still astounds me.”

That was Ash for you. Always finding some new way to catch people off guard. He’d go far as an agent if he could keep that up.

He paused when he felt a foot trail up his leg.

“But if you want to show your appreciation… I wouldn’t say no,” The blond purred. “Perhaps I’ll even let you take the lead this time. See what you do with the initiative.”

That… was not an offer he could refuse.

No sane man could.

The watch on his wrist beeped. He looked down, frowning when he saw the alert. It was a message from the regional Commander himself. This must have been important.

Cynthia sighed and stood up, loosening the belt of her bathrobe with deft hands. “I’ll give you a few minutes to look that over in peace.” She stalked out of the kitchen towards the bedroom, slowly shrugging off the robe as she did. “Let me know if you have the morning off or if you need to work.”

He looked towards the ceiling, shaking his head. “She really is too good to me.”

Duty came first, however. As he read over the reports from the Commander, his frown deepened. Something big was happening on the other side of Hoenn, and from the looks of it, Team Rocket wasn’t involved.

They’d need to watch this. If things escalated, it could mean a quick end to the Falling Star Festival.

And with it, their one chance to uncover the truth behind Project Ambrosia.

Not much was known about ancient Humanity.

Most of the records had been lost over the ages. Some as the consequence of war and conflict. Others due to natural disasters and the divine fury of Legends. Yet even more had simply decayed under the unstoppable march of time, withering into dust.

What little historians knew had been pieced together over centuries. Generation after generation unearthing the ruins of the past and deciphering forgotten languages. Dozens of ancient cultures had been uncovered, and though far from complete, the catalog of mankind's past was slowly coming together.

Yet among all these ancient cultures, one stood out.

While their true name had been lost to time, the People of the Water were a mystery for archeologists everywhere. They didn't leave any trace of their culture behind, and even fewer remnants of their civilization remained. The few nomadic descendants that remained kept what little they knew to themselves.

Despite this, some of their ruins endured. Ancient pathways hidden in the uninhabited lakes and rivers of the world. Crumbling ruins like Alto Mare, rebuilt and modernized for its new inhabitants. Yet among them all, one truly stood above the rest in the minds of both historians and civilians alike.

Samiya, the Temple of the Sea.

A place of legend. The heart of their civilization, myths said that even the gods themselves paid tribute to their people. Kyogre, Manaphy, and all Pokemon of the sea flocked to the temple. Humans and Pokemon alike stood in awe of its majesty.

Yet all the beauty and riches in the world could not begin to come close to the real treasures held within its walls. The technology of the People of the Water was millennia ahead of any other civilizations of the past. Even today, their technology was a marvel to the world.

The ocean bent to their will. Cloaking and force field technology on a massive scale. Mastering over life itself. Some even theorized they had been on the verge of discovering the very foundations of creation itself!

The Sea Crown – an array of crystals that powered Samiya and bestowed great power upon those who wielded them – was just one of the many wonders within the temple. In a perfect world, the rediscovery of Samiya would have ushered in a new golden age for Humanity.

Instead, it spelled doom for Ash and his companions.

The underwater temple was sinking. With the loss of the crystals that powered its force field, there was nothing to protect it from the ocean that surrounded it. While the structure of the shrine could withstand the pressure of the deep sea, the thousands of gallons of water rushing in was causing it to sink fast.

If they couldn’t find a way out soon, they’d drown down here.

Ash and May had gotten separated from the others in the chaos. The two of them ran through the rapidly flooding halls, Manaphy clutched in May’s arms and Pikachu at their heels.

“Come on!” He shouted. “We can’t stop, no matter what!”

“We’ve been going in circles! What are we supposed to do?” May asked. “The ships have already left! We’re trapped down here!”

It was a harsh truth.

Every hall they ran down only led to more death. A maze of paths that blended together, leading to little more than dead-ends and rapidly flooding rooms. The few viable paths left for them to take always lead them back to the same garden in the center of the temple.

No matter what path they took, it was always the same.

A never-ending loop of impending death.

“We can’t give up. Not while we’re still breathing!” Ash looked around, wild eyes darting left and right until he found a path they hadn’t already gone down. “We have to keep going!”

The group rushed towards the new path as fast as their legs could carry them. Water rushed in behind them, licking at their boots with every step. The smell of deep sea brine permeated the air, the stale stench assaulting their noses. Waves crashed against the ancient marble, shaking the entire superstructure.

They couldn’t stop. Not for a second. If they did, all of them would die down here. The latest in a long line of scavengers seeking to plunder the riches of the dead.

Would anyone even find their bodies? Or would they be just another set of souls lost to the clawing, icy embrace of the ocean?

As they sprinted through the halls into a large courtyard with an aqueduct running through it, Ash spotted something out of the corner of his eye. A massive glowing blue crystal shard floating in the middle of a pond.

Excitement shot through him. That’s a shard of the Sea Crown! He didn’t know how it got here, but it didn’t matter! If they could just return it to its resting place, they could save the temple and themselves all at once. They were going to be alright-

The ceiling caved in above them. All at once, the unending stream of the ocean flooded in and crashed into them. Ash could hardly see, let alone breathe. It took everything he had to hold his breath once the water hit. Doubly so once he was tossed around the room by the current.

Despite it all, he felt no pain.

Eventually, the entire room had been completely flooded. While he floated through the water, he looked around to try and find the others.

What he found made his heart sink.

Manaphy was nowhere to be found, swept away in the flood. Massive chunks of rubble littered the floor, and sticking out of one pile was a lone yellow tail. His hands tightened into fists at the sight of his little buddy, but his heart nearly stopped at what he saw next.

May was floating in the center of the flooded courtyard. Her sapphire eyes were shut tight, and her mouth hung open.

No, no, no! He wouldn’t let this happen! He couldn’t let her die like this! Even if he couldn’t save anyone else, he had to get her out of here! They may have been trapped at the bottom of the ocean, but with the roof caved in, all he had to do was swim up.

He just needed to-

Before he could swim towards her, something wrapped tightly around his ankles and his legs, yanking him down. Snapping his head down, Ash’s eyes widened in horror at what he found.

Tens of thousands of faces stared up at him with vacant eyes and gaping mouths. Young and old; man and woman; rich and poor. There were too many to count among the horror. He did not recognize the bodies in the water, but he saw one thing each of them had in common.

Pure agony.

Upon closer inspection, their bodies were blood and putrefied. Their veins had turned so black that they were visible through the skin, a web of decayed blood crisscrossing their entire body. Many of the hands reaching out towards him looked decayed, their skin sloughing off in wrinkled blobs.

Ash’s heart hammered in his chest. He tried to kick the corpses off him and swim away, but nothing worked. The harder he struggled, the tighter they squeezed. With each passing second, more bloated fingers grabbed his limbs, yanking him down into the abyss.

One corpse – a rotund old man with white hair – looked worse than the others. A smashed face stared up at him while limbs twisted at odd angles gripped his wrists.

Many more had holes in their heads or cuts around their throats. The black uniforms held a strange red symbol on their chests, but the murky depths hid it from view.

So many bodies… he didn’t recognize any of them, but he still somehow
knew them.

Soon enough, he was completely ensnared in the grasp of the dead. Hands ripped at his limbs, scratched at his eyes, and tightened around his throat. Though he couldn’t hear them, he knew the bodies around him were screaming in fury and pain.

Just before he was lost forever, his charcoal eyes looked towards May. A lone corpse floated towards her in the same condition as the others, yet it still stood out. Most would have been drawn to the lone eyepatch over its calcified face, but something else caught his attention.

Its throat looked like a rabid dog had torn it out.

The corpse pulled May close with its bloated hands. Pulling her close, it tilted her head back… and tore into her exposed jugular.

Ash couldn’t stop himself anymore.

He screamed.

And the abyss claimed another soul.

Ash jolted upright with a gasp, eyes darting around the room in a blind panic.

He sighed in relief, panting slightly. There wasn’t an ounce of water nor a single scrap of ancient marble anywhere to be seen. He wasn’t trapped in a sinking temple. He was back in his hotel room at the Falling Star Festival.

It was just a nightmare.

Disaster had been averted that day. They hadn’t just managed to find the long-lost temple, they’d saved it from complete destruction. Manaphy had been released back into the sea to wander and rule. The Rangers had locked away the thieves and kept the treasures of the temple from falling into the wrong hands.

Most importantly, May was safe. They’d found an escape pod before it flooded, and he’d sent her to safety before he rushed off like the same fool he’d always been. A reckless choice, but one that paid off in the end.

So why was he having nightmares about it now?

It didn’t make sense.

“Ash? Are you alright?”

Ash froze.

He’d forgotten about the others.

Nowadays, Ash didn’t sleep alone. He preferred the comfort and safety that came with being surrounded by his team. Pikachu would always curl up into a ball on his chest. Latias would drape her long neck and feathered wings over his body. Lilligant would sleep beside him, the aroma of her flower helping them all to relax.

Though he’d never admit it, Bewear was his favorite, however. With how fluffy and soft her fur was, she was like a giant teddy bear and a security blanket all rolled into one. Her arms wrapped around them all were more comforting than any bed he’d ever been in.

Unfortunately, his startled awakening had done the same to all of them.

“I’m fine.” He mumbled.

Latias frowned. “It doesn’t take a psychic to see that’s a lie.”

Pikachu rubbed the sleep out of his eyes with a yawn. “You’d think working with Interpol would teach him how to lie better.”

He sighed. “It was just a nightmare. Nothing to worry about.”

Lilligant tilted her head to the side, her flower crown swaying slightly. “A nightmare? Shall I make you some breakfast to take your mind off it, Master?”

“You don’t have to-”

“Nonsense!” Lilligant bobbed her head cheerily and spun on her heels, heading towards the nearby kitchen. “I’ll whip you up something nice in a jiffy!”

He ran a hand down his face, suppressing a groan. “Can you please stop calling me ‘Master’?”

“Never gonna happen, Master!”

Wonderful. He thanks whatever god was listening that Humans couldn’t understand Pokemon. He’d be embarrassed if more people heard her call him that.

Then again, knowing his luck? That god just might be cruel enough to hear and suddenly make everyone fluent in the language. Just to mess with him.

“What was your nightmare?” Pikachu asked.

“Nothing important.” He told them. “Like I said, I’m fine.”

Bewear snorted. “Children… No matter the species, you always act so foolish.”

He narrowed his eyes. “I’m almost nineteen. I’m not a child.”

“A very old child, then.” Laughing, Bewear ruffled his hair with one of her massive paws. “We are a team, yes?”

He blinked. Where was she going with this? “Of course. We’re all in this together. There’s no one I trust more than all of you.”

“Then it shouldn’t be an issue telling us what’s on your mind.” She said. “Partners look out for one another. Not just in battle, but in everything.”

“Nightmares do hold greater meaning than most people give them credit for.”
Latias added. “Why not tell us what happened while it’s still fresh on your mind?”

Pikachu smiled up at him, crossing his arms. “Even if we can’t help, what’s the worst that can happen? It’s not like any of us will make fun of you for it.”

Latias quirked an eyebrow at him. “Really? How generous of you.”

“That’s me. Nothing but a giver for my best pal in the whole world.”

Ash was silent for a moment, merely listening to the banter of his Pokemon. He really didn’t think the nightmare was that big of a deal, but he still hesitated to tell them. An old memory twisted into something horrific? This was the sort of thing his therapist could decipher, not them.

He didn’t want them to worry for no reason, though. If telling them about a silly dream would get them off his back, then there was no reason to hold back.

“It wasn’t just a nightmare.” He began. “It was a memory.”

Pikachu frowned. “We’ve been through some pretty bad stuff on our journey, Ash. What were you remembering?”

“Samiya.”

Latias blinked. “Samiya? I’ve heard that name before. It’s an ancient temple of some sort, right?”

“That’s right. It was dedicated to the sea. You’ve heard of it before?” He asked.

“Lorenzo and Bianca would talk about it sometimes, when they thought I wasn’t listening. They said it was beautiful.” She said. “I always got the sense they wished they could see it for themselves. Walk the halls their ancestors built so long ago, you know?”

Ash wasn’t surprised. If Bianca and Lorenzo were descendants of the People of the Water, then it made sense they’d know about the Sea Temple. They’d only ever heard about it in stories like the rest of them, or perhaps the old records left behind by their people alongside instructions for the DMA.

“Well, when I was traveling through Kanto to compete in the Battle Frontier, we got caught up in a plot to steal a Manaphy egg. Turns out their kind innately know where the Sea Temple is at all times.” He explained.

Pikachu chuckled. “He was a good kid. I hope he’s doing alright.”

With how valiantly Water types would defend him? Ash didn’t doubt that for a second.

“We ended up tagging along with a Ranger and a couple of descendants of the People of the Water. More out of obligation than anything else. Manaphy saw one of my old companions as a mother, so we really didn’t have a choice.” He continued.

“Not that anyone objected to us tagging along.” Pikachu chimed in. “When a pirate wearing power armor is chasing you, you take all the help you can get.”

Latias clapped her claws together, vibrating with excitement. “You guys fought a pirate? Like an honest to Arceus pirate with an eyepatch and everything!?”

“No eyepatch, but he did have a talking Chatot on his shoulder. And yes, it was exactly as annoying as Human movies make them out to be,”
Pikachu said.

“Why do you guys get to have all the fun, whimsical adventures without me?” She groaned.

Ash cleared his throat to get them back on topic. “Eventually, we found the temple. The pirate and his crew followed us, though. Nearly sunk the place and all of us with it in their greed.”

Bewear shifted in place. “You obviously survived, so there must have been a happy ending.”

“I managed to return the crystals they stole from the Sea Crown — one of the temples most valuables artifacts.” He explained. “After that? Manaphy, the surrounding army of Water types, and the rest of us all brought the pirates to justice.”

“All’s well that ends well. So, what went differently in your nightmare?” Bewear asked.

Ash closed his eyes, taking a deep breath. “When the temple was sinking, May and I were on our own. There was no escape pod this time around to force her inside. No one else was coming to rescue us, either.” He said. “Just when we found one crystal to the Sea Crown, the ceiling collapsed on us and the ocean flooded in.”

“You drowned?” Latias asked.

Were it so easy….

“I was panicking. Pikachu was crushed under the rubble, Manaphy was nowhere to be found, and May was unconscious. I thought if I could reach her, I might be able to get the two of us back to the surface.”

A stupid plan in reality. Samiya was miles beneath the surface. He’d have run out of air long before they made it to safety. To say nothing of what the pressure or predatory Pokemon may have done to two drowning Humans in their territory.

“That’s when I saw them… all the dead.”

His team exchanged a look. Lilligant rejoined them at that point, passing him a bowl full of neopolitan ice cream with gum drops sprinkled on top. Not the healthiest of breakfasts, but he wasn’t about to turn down something so delicious.

He tried to smile at the plantoid, but only managed an uncertain grimace.

“What dead, Master?” She gently asked.

“All of them….” He mumbled, slowly munching on a spoonful of the sweet treat. “Alto Mare; Rocket; Aether. Everyone who’s died by my hands and my failures.”

Latias frowned. “Ash….”

“They were pulling me down. Trying to drag me to hell with them.” He laughed bitterly. “Guess I can’t blame them, considering all that’s happened.”

None of them said anything yet. For that, he was thankful.

“They weren’t just targeting me, though. One of them went after May… and tore her throat out in front of me.” He sighed. “That’s when I woke up.”

Bewear pulled him into a gentle hug, nestling him against the soft fur of her chest. “You cannot blame yourself for their deaths, Ash.”

Latias nodded resolutely. “She’s right. Alto Mare wasn’t your fault. There was nothing you could have done.”

“Don’t blame yourself for Rocket, either.”
Pikachu hopped up onto his shoulder, nuzzling his cheek affectionately. “They made their choice when they decided to become criminals and go along with a massacre. They got what they deserved.”

Maybe. He still chose to kill them, though. No matter how much they deserved it or who he saved, he’d still taken life. Ash may not have regretted it, but that didn’t mean he was unaffected by it.

His therapist would have a field day with this when the mission was over. He was sure of that.

“I just don’t know why that was my nightmare.” He said. “That was hardly the most traumatic adventure I had on my journey, not even just since joining Interpol. So, why am I flashing back there?”

Lilligant tilted her head aside. “Perhaps your old companion has something to do with it? Seeing May again might be bringing these memories to surface.”

“It’s possible your subconscious is trying to tell you something,”
Latias added. “Though I can’t say I know what that is.”

Were they right? Could it really be as simple as that? Was the anxiety of seeing May again and the fear of her discovering who he was so dreadful he was having nightmares about her now?

If this was what he had to look forward to the entire mission, then it was going to be a long festival.

Ash shook his head. “It doesn’t matter. It was just a bad dream. We’re all alive, and more importantly, we have a mission to focus on.” He said. “Get yourselves something to eat and stretch your limbs. We’ve got a contest to win.”

May Arceus have mercy on their opponent.

With the dawn of a new day came the beginning of the combat phase of the Contest. After an intense day of performances by the bright and hopeful, only the best were left. Whether they were prodigies, professionals, or complete novices, all of them had shown they were a cut above the rest.

Today, their skills would be tested in an entirely different way. Battles in a Contest were vastly different from those in the League. Rather than focusing on raw power, the goal was to turn the battle into an art piece. Skillful dodges, well-choreographed moves, clever strategies; those were far more important than simple strength.

Thanks to modern technology, they'd could even quantify how well a contestant was doing in real time. Each Coordinator was given a set number of points when the battle began. Every successful attack, dodge, or brilliant maneuver would drain your opponents points.

Barring the complete knockout of the enemy team, whoever still had the most at the end of the five-minute timer won. A simple system that incentivized creative solutions to whatever your opponent brought.

At the moment, May and her fellow judges watched as one match came to a swift end. While both Coordinators were skilled, one stood out: her rival, Drew.

Out of all her rivals, he had always been her toughest opponent. While her other rivals may have been more skilled or experienced, none of them lit a fire in her heart like him. Their battles pushed her past her limits, forcing her to adapt on the fly and reach new heights.

She almost wished she wasn't a judge, just so she could test herself against him once more. After watching his battle today, she was eager to see how her team would do. Drew's Flygon and Gothitelle had fought in perfect sync, weaving around their opponents and using them as props in a breathtaking performance.

May hoped his opponent wasn't too upset. She knew how humiliating it could be to be ignored as a threat.

It was strange, though. This was the first time she'd ever seen him use a Gothitelle in a contest. It must have been a new catch, but that didn't seem to matter. The power and grace it displayed were nothing to scoff at.

She'd have to ask him where he'd been hiding them all this time.

Cynthia hummed beside her, leaning back in her seat and subtly stretching her legs. She tapped the mute button on their collective microphones. "That was an impressive battle. I don't think I've ever seen a Gothitelle that strong before."

Anabel nodded, her eyes following Drew as he walked offstage. "He'll be one to watch. Gothitelle are a difficult species to train. Most of them hate conflict of any kind."

Unscrewing the cap off her water bottle, May nodded. "That's Drew for you. He's got a knack for training difficult Pokemon."

"I'll say. My friend Lucian tried to train one in the past." Cynthia said. "From what he told me, their kind focuses too much on the tides of fate and the constellations to worry about battles."

"He's right. Most Pokemon who can see the future and the past get like that. We should consider it a blessing us Humans can only see time linearly." Anabel said. "If Drew could convince it to battle, it must mean they have a very good reason."

May and Cynthia shared a concerned look. That was a good point. If a normally pacifistic and sullen Pokemon chose to fight, did that mean the Trainer was especially convincing… or was there something more going on?

"Well, whatever the case, I'm pleasantly surprised by Contest battles." Cynthia stated. "Trainers could learn a thing or two from the creativity you Coordinators have."

Anabel hummed in agreement. "Most Trainers are straight forward. Focused entirely on either brute force, or if they're really smart, the occasional field move or weather strategy."

It was a pretty glaring flaw. By all logic, Trainers should have been stronger. They dedicated all their time and energy towards gaining strength while Coordinators split their attention between training and performances.

Yet time and again, Coordinators showed they stood on equal footing with them. Whatever they lacked in fighting prowess, they more than made up for in adaptability and creativity.

Vivian stepped into the center of the stage and cleared her throat, drawing the attention of the audience and judges alike. "That was simply a fantastic battle! Magnificent in every way!"

May rolled her eyes. Vivian's enthusiasm was endearing, but sometimes she could go a little overboard. She supposed that was what made the woman such a good announcer, though.

"But we've got even more in store for you all today! In fact, our next match is sure to keep you all glued to your seats." Vivian cocked her hip to the side and smirked, spreading her arms wide. "A battle of experience against prodigal strength! In the red corner, give it up for the Scarecrow of the Seas, Harley Keen!"

The crowd cheered as a lanky young man with flowing violet hair and bright blue eyes strutted out on stage. Dressed in an eye-catching green outfit with an imposing emerald hat that cast a shadow over his face, he looked almost like a Human Cacturne.

It took all of her willpower not to scowl as he walked out onto the battlefield. Harley was perhaps the most frustrating rival she'd ever had. Petty, deceitful, and just plain rude, he was a pain to deal with at the best of times. When she'd been younger, she thought she might have offended him, but now? Now she knew he was just an ass.

Unfortunately, he was an ass who excelled as a Coordinator. She'd lost to him more than once in the past. Anyone who underestimated him always ended up regretting it.

Vivian waited for the cheers to die down before sweeping her arm towards the other side. "And in the blue corner, we have the rookie taking the festival by storm! The dark horse with a penchant for intimidation, Spartan!"

Cheers greeted the mysterious rookie as he walked out on stage. While not as loud as Harley's, it was still an impressive showing. For his first ever Contest, the man had built quite the following so far.

"You all know the drill!" Vivian shouted. "Whoever manages to knock-out their opponents first or has the most points remaining at the end of the timer moves on to the next round! Do us all a favor and put on a good show, boys!"

Harley grinned, flipping his hair over his shoulder. "Like that was ever in doubt." Unclasping two Pokeballs from his belt, he reared back. "Wigglytuff, Cacturne, you're up!"

As the living cactus and pink leporine materialized before the crowd, a shroud of shadows coiled around them. Cacturne turned to face the crowd, glaring them into submission while Wigglytuff cackled demonically behind it.

Cynthia hummed. "That's an interesting style." She observed. "Here I thought most Coordinators preferred to show off the beauty or strength of their partners."

"I can see why he's gained such a following." Anabel said. "Showcasing how terrifying Pokemon can be is sure to stick out in people's minds."

May kept silent for now. Much as she hated to admit it, they were right. Harley capitalized on the unexpected when he created his strategies. If he hadn't spent years making her life a living hell out of spite, she might have even told him that to his face.

As things stood? She was rooting for Spartan.

Harley cocked his hip to the side and crossed his arms, confidence radiating off of him. "Well? Don't leave us in suspense! Show us what you've got, Spartan!"

The masked man didn't rise to the bait. Enlarging two Pokeballs in his hands, he tossed them into the air. "Take the stage!"

The first to materialize was a beautiful Lilligant with a vibrant orange flower and an aroma that set the entire stadium at ease. She bowed gracefully, clutching the sides of her flower dress and maintaining perfect posture. She was a beautiful Pokemon, even among her own kind.

Yet the one that truly stole everyone's attention was the second member of the team. A Latias with vibrant red and white feathers hovered in the air, trilling in delight. She flipped through the air and waved at the crowd, drawing enamored whispers from the audience.

"A Legend…." Cynthia trailed off. "This just gets more and more interesting."

May couldn't agree more.

Harley whistled in appreciation. "A Latias? Well, color me impressed. Here I thought you'd try to brute force your way through with that Bewear of yours." He chuckled. "Guess you must have known it'd be an easy win for me and pulled out all the stops, huh?"

Spartan didn't say a word, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

Harley tsked in annoyance. "Nothing? Fine. We'll see how long you can keep up that moody persona of yours once we start having some fun."

"Sounds like our contestants are raring to go, and who are we to hold them back?" Vivian leaped back and stood by the judges' table, pumping her fist in the air. "Begin!"

Harley threw his arm forward. "Cacturne, use Sunny Day! Wigglytuff, inflate yourself!"

Cacturne held its arms high and the gentle rays of the sun intensified. May could already feel herself beginning to sweat from the heat, and she doubted anyone else was doing any better. At its side, Wigglytuff took a deep breath, sucking down enough air until it blew up to be at least twenty times its original size.

The crowd watched on in anticipation to see what Spartan's team would do. After his battle in the tournament, everyone knew to expect two things: brutality, and the unpredictability that came from his Pokemon fighting on their own.

How well that would serve him in a Contest was anyone's guess.

An almost imperceptible green glow emanated from Lilligant as roots sprouted from beneath her dress and burrowed into the ground. At her side, Latias' eyes glowed and her breathing became more controlled.

"Wigglytuff, bounce up into the air!" Harley commanded. "Cacturne, grab hold and use Dark Pulse on that Latias!"

While Wigglytuff hopped up into the air and hovered in place, Cacturne grabbed hold of its legs. Summoning a swirling ball of dark energy in its mouth, it launched the beam towards Latias. The feathered dragon effortlessly dodged the attack, twirling around it like a ballerina.

May smiled when Harley's points drained after the dodge.

"Wigglytuff, use Copycat! Both of you, keep blasting that overgrown lizard into a corner!" Harley growled.

The two Pokemon nodded in affirmation and followed their master's command, but Latias expertly weaved around the beams of dark energy with beauty and grace. She danced through the air and flew circles around them. The crowd laughed and cheered at the expert display.

The terrifying image Harley had put forward was quickly coming apart.

"Surround it!" Harley ordered.

"He's letting his emotions get to him." Cynthia observed. "It's the same mistake Dylan made."

Anabel nodded. "It looks like that's Spartan's general strategy. Mess with an opponent's head and picking them apart is easy after that. I can't tell you how many Trainers I've fought who made rookie mistakes in a fit of rage."

May hummed. She knew that from experience, though, admittedly; it wasn't in the same way as the others. Early in her career, she'd let her frustration get to her sometimes. It cost her more than a few Contests before she learned her lesson.

Cacturne swung itself using Wigglytuff's legs and hurled itself behind Latias. Rolling to a stop over its shoulder, Cacturne blasted Latias. Just when she was about to dodge the attack, Wigglytuff slammed into her from behind, sparking with a golden energy. The dragoness cried out in alarm.

"Ha! That's it, Wigglytuff, keep using Play Rough!" Harley cheered. "Cacturne, use Solar Beam!"

Grasping Latias by the wings as tightly as it could, Wigglytuff held the flying dragon in place to keep her from fleeing. Down below, Cactune's thorns glowed with the incandescent energy of the sun. With the sun glowing in the sky, there was no need to charge the attack. It thrust its arms forward, launching over a dozen beams towards the dragon at once.

A growl escaped her lips, and she opened her maw. The instant she did, a Solar Beam of her own shot forth and collided with Cacturne's own. While hers was much larger and individually more powerful, the collective power of the scarecrow's beams was enough to match hers.

Before anyone could call out a command, the beams exploded and filled the arena with a thick black smoke. While Harley coughed and covered his eyes, Spartan stared unflinchingly into the smoke.

A powerful tailwind blew through the arena, sweeping the smoke away just in time to see Wigglytuff launched into Cacturne and sending them both tumbling along the battlefield.

The two Pokemon slowly pushed themselves to their feet, shaking off the damage they had taken. Up above them, Latias hovered with notable bruises and scratches dotting her form.

Harley was doing much better than anyone could have expected.

A fact he knew all too well.

The man in question laughed haughtily into his hand. "Well, well. Looks like you're not so tough after all. And here I thought this would be a challenge." He smirked. "Don't feel too bad, darling. Not everyone can live up to the hype."

Spartan didn't bother responding.

Cynthia nudged her leg with her knee. "Something's off." She whispered. "Spartan's spent the whole fight reacting. That doesn't seem like him."

Even if she'd only seen one of his battles before, May couldn't help but agree. No one who risked their life fighting a Bewear in close combat would just sit back and do nothing. He certainly hadn't been in his battle against Dylan.

So, what was different about this battle? It couldn't be arrogance because of a Legend… could it?

Harley shrugged with exaggerated swagger and sighed audibly. "As much fun as this has been, I think it's about time I put an end to it. Us professional Coordinators have standards. No use dragging out an execution- "

Laughter made them all pause.

The synthetic voice of Spartan cut through Harley's rambling like a hot knife through butter. All eyes left the battle for a moment to stare at the masked man. An uneasy feeling settled upon the crowd at the strange sound coming from him.

"What's so funny?" Harley demanded.

"You. Or at least, everyone like you." Spartan said.

The purplette scowled. "How dare you!? I'm the best Coordinator in this Contest! Show some respect."

Spartan shook his head. "I'm disgusted knowing someone like you could make it this far. Even more so knowing just how many others like you are out there." He said. "The funny thing is I'm not a Coordinator, but you fail at the one thing you're trying to be."

The stadium sat in stunned silence, and even Harley's Pokemon looked back towards their Trainer to see his reaction. A rapidly reddening face, tightened fists, and a snarl. May had never seen him this angry before.

Attacking his pride on international TV… that would hurt anyone's ego.

"I'll show you who the failure is!" Harley growled. "Cacturne, Foul Play! Wigglytuff, Ice Beam!"

In an instant, Wigglytuff fired a stream of pure energy towards Latias. Even as she dodged, the beam tracked her movements and kept hot on her tail. Cacturne waited for their moment before leaping up in the air to try to catch her off guard.

Spartan sighed. "This is what I'm talking about. Always the disappointment to everyone who knows you."

"Shut up!" Harley demanded.

A demand that went ignored. "That's the difference between a fraud like you and someone like me." Spartan took a hand out of his pocket and snapped his fingers. "I don't get tunnel vision."

Just before Cacturne could slam into Latias, a vine shot out of the ground and wrapped around its leg. Faster than it could react, the vine whipped around and used the living cactus as a club to bludgeon Wigglytuff aside. Both of them went tumbling along the ground, rolling to a stop in front of their master.

On the other side of the battlefield, Lilligant bowed dramatically and swept her arms aside. Latias hovered above her and glowed with a brilliant golden light, healing her wounds in an instant.

Harley scoffed. "So I forgot about that second-rate weed. I'll just have to pull it out by the roots once I've clipped Latias' wings."

"And you're still as blind as ever." Spartan retorted. He gave a curt nod to his Pokemon. "End this."

"As if. Cacturne, Wigglytuff, use- "

The Hoenn-native was cut off as the entire arena rumbled, causing all those standing to fall to their knees besides Spartan. Before anyone could process it, hundreds of roots and vines sprung up out of the ground. Coiling and twisting around one another until they formed a vaguely humanoid shape.

Cynthia's eyes widened in shock. "A wicker man…." She muttered.

May didn't know what that was, but what she did know was this wicker man was gigantic. At over thirty feet tall and casting a shadow that encompassed the entire arena, this thing was bigger than most Pokemon she'd seen.

"So, that's what they were doing. Now it all makes sense." Anabel said.

May blinked. "What does?"

"Why Latias was letting Harley's team smack her around for so long." Anabel explained. "While everyone was so focused on the battle with the Legend, Lilligant spread her roots and grew them underground."

A frown split Cynthia's face. "Why risk it, though? If he'd just focused on fighting, he could have finished this sooner."

"This is a Contest, Cynthia." May pointed out. "How you win is just as important as winning itself. It's all about the spectacle and performance."

And this?

This was quite the spectacle.

Harley reared back in shock, his mouth agape. "Get out of there! Quick! Wigglytuff, use Metronome!"

May frowned. A gambling move like that? He must truly have been desperate to try something like that.

Cacturne's thorns glowed with golden energy, but with the massive wooden golem blocking out the sun, they wouldn't charge in time. At its side, Wigglytuff frantically wiggled its paws back and forth.

May could almost hear the desperate prayer to Arceus for something to help them escape this monster.

To everyone's shock, it seemed the gods were watching over the pink Pokemon.

Wigglytuff's eyes flashed with mystical energy. Golden-rose-colored flames swirled around the Pokemon and scorched the ground beneath it. May tugged at the collar of her shirt as the heat intensified. With a guttural cry, Wigglytuff launched its flames forward.

It's Sacred Fire, the holy flames of Ho-Oh.

And in an instant, all hope was lost.

Just before the flames could connect, they stopped in midair. Suspended by the Psychic energy of Latias' mind. The flames swirled around the wicker man and bathing the stadium in the rays of a second sun.

Lilligant's wicker man stepped forward, shaking the entire arena and crossing the battlefield in a single step. Its left arm lashed out to snatch the enemy team off the ground. Wigglytuff was too slow to dodge, but Cacturne leaped above the hand at the last minute… only to be grabbed by its other hand in midair.

Standing to its full height, the wicker man held the two Pokemon aloft above the stadiums open roof. Before their very eyes, the roots and vines that made up its chest receded into a gaping chasm. With little regard for their safety, it hurled the two Pokemon into its chest and the roots surged back into place.

What was Spartan planning?

The masked trainer looked to the sky. "Let there be fire."

Harley's eyes widened. "What!?"

The Sacred Fire Latias had been holding in place surged forth and coiled around the wicker man, setting it ablaze in an instant. The animated golem crossed its arms over its chest and gazed up at the sky. As the air sizzled, the entire statue glowed so brightly that it became impossible to even look at.

Then… a deafening explosion rang out and a blinding flash erupted through the arena. The wicker man exploded in a violent pillar of fire that rose high into the sky, piercing the heavens for all to see. The heat was so intense that May could almost feel herself burning alongside the Pokemon.

As the fires eventually died down and the pillar faded away, May and everyone else slowly regained their senses and took in the damage.

The blaze had left the entire battlefield scorched black, but surprisingly, none of the damage had spread beyond it. Eagle-eyed viewers among the audience would notice the shimmer of powerful Light Screens keeping the attack contained, and Latias' eyes glowing with vibrant power.

At the center of it all were Cacturne and Wigglytuff, burned beyond belief and unconscious. The same shimmer of the Light Screens that surrounded the arena encased them. They were still alive, but Nurse Joy and her team would have their work cut out for them. The two would be in a lot of pain, but they'd recover.

She doubted the same could be said for Harley's pride.

Up above, the screen showed the final score of the round. Spartan had been reduced to half his total points while Harley's had been completely drained… not that it mattered with both Pokemon unconscious.

Vivian took a tentative step forward and cleared her throat. "What a dramatic finish! A move like that is a once in a lifetime play, and how fortunate are we to see it here today!"

After a moment of shock, the crowd erupted in cheers and congratulations for the well-fought battle.

"The winner is Spartan and his brilliant team!" The announcer shouted. "I think I speak for all of us when I say that I can't wait to see what he has in store for us next!"

As May watched Spartan and his team quietly walk offstage, she couldn't help but agree.

Spartan was taking the festival by storm. A rookie like him with a mastery over both Contests and battles. Just who was he? May wasn't going to let this festival end until she had an answer.

He could count on that.

"So, how'd your match go?"

Rosa shrugged, stretching her arms over her head. "Fine, I guess. It was kind of lame."

Max blinked in surprise. At the moment, the two of them were relaxing in a small park with their Pokemon out of their balls. In the distance, a collection of circus performers were putting on their act for a crowd of eager tourists.

Of all the things he'd expected her to say, that hadn't been it. "Lame? What do you mean?"

"When I entered the tournament, I thought I'd be battling the best of the best." She sighed, tugging at the scarf around her neck. "Instead, I got stuck with the easy opponent. Just my luck."

Max chuckled. "You know, most people would just be happy to advance to the next round."

She blew a raspberry. "Yeah, maybe if you're lame. I didn't become a Trainer just to coast through the competition! I want a challenge!"

"Have you seen some of the competition?" Max asked. "I think you'll get your wish. You've just got to be patient."

Rosa crossed her arms and let out a humph. "Easy for you to say. You've had nothing but tough opponents the entire tournament."

Max rolled his eyes in exasperation. He'd known this girl for only a day, and already he could tell this was just how she was. He didn't think he'd ever met someone as desperate for a challenge as her.

He'd never met anyone as cute either, but that was neither here nor there!

At his side, Kirlia snickered into the palm of her hand. He shot her a small glare, but that only seemed to amuse her even more. One of these days, he'd find a way to keep her from reading into his thoughts!

Someday.

"There's gotta be someone you're looking forward to fighting." Max said. "There are dozens of League winners and expert Trainers here. Even Champions and Frontier Brains like Cynthia and Anabel, if you'd prefer to fight them."

Her eyes sparkled with excitement. "Now that'd be fun! I've always wanted to fight a Champion! And I hear that Anabel is pretty strong, too."

Max nodded. "She is. Second strongest out of all of them when I last met her. I'd bet she's only gotten even stronger since then."

Rosa cocked her head to the side. "You've met her?"

He was silent for a moment, unsure of what to tell her. What was he meant to say? That he traveled with someone for years who was now a pariah to the world? That he still believed in his innocence. It didn't take a genius to see that wouldn't go over well.

"My sister and I traveled with a friend on their journey a couple of years ago." He eventually decided upon. "He was taking on the Battle Frontier. She was always nice, but really intimidating to fight."

"I can imagine." She said. "I've heard she doesn't even speak when battling. Just an icy stare into the depths of your soul."

"I… wouldn't go that far." He said.

While intimidating, he'd never describe her like that. If anything, she was a total goofball outside of battle. Not to mention selfless she was when she stepped in the way of rampaging Pokemon to calm them down.

He wondered where Rosa got that idea from.

"There is one person I want to face besides them, though." Rosa said, twirling some of her brunette hair around her finger. "You may have heard of him. Spartan?"

Max and Kirlia shared an uncertain look. "You mean you actually want to fight him? Even after his fight with Dylan?"

She shot up from her seat, practically bouncing on her toes. "Of course! If he could trounce a budding Elite Four member like that, then he might be the strongest fighter in the tournament! I have to battle him!"

He scratched the back of his head. "I don't know… he's kind of brutal, don't you think?"

Rosa pushed on as though she didn't even hear him. "Did you see what he did in his Contest battle today?"

Max blinked. "No, what happened?"

"He has a Latias, Max! An honest to gods Latias!" She all but shouted. "Do you have any idea how strong you need to be to catch a Legend? Not to mention make it obey you?"

Kirlia looked conflicted and cast her eyes downwards, but Max paid it no mind. If Spartan really did have a Legend on his team, then that only made him even stronger. Not that anyone could doubt it after yesterday, but there was a big difference between dominating a match and controlling a living myth.

It put Spartan up there with the best of the best.

"But that's just the beginning! Sure, she was strong, but that's not what stood out!" Rosa went on. "Do you remember that giant wooden statue that appeared out of nowhere? And the pillar of fire that erupted into the sky?"

How could he not? While some might have missed the wooden golem growing from within the city, no one could have missed the pillar of fire that appeared out of nowhere. From what he'd heard, half the city experienced a sudden heatwave that shorted out their electronics.

It really had been a beautiful fire, in spite of all that.

"That was Spartan?" He asked.

She nodded. "Yeah! His Lilligant made the statue, and Latias stole the fire of their enemy and used it to enhance their ultimate attack." She held her fist in front of her, trembling slightly. "Ooooh, just thinking about it gives me the chills! I wish I'd been the one fighting him instead!"

'Note to self: think of an ultimate attack of my own.'

He'd get her to be this excited about their battle before the festival was over. He swore it.

"That's pretty impressive." He admitted. "I guess I can see why you'd be excited. Still, I think I'd rather get knocked out of the tournament before facing him. I don't think my team would survive it."

Not with their pride intact.

She laughed. "Well, I don't think you'll have to worry about that if the two of us fight."

He glared at her in mock offense. "What? You think you can beat me?"

"Beat you? Please. I'll kick your butt, then do the same to Spartan and everyone else in my way." She thrust her fist into the air. "Rosa's going all the way to the top! No one'll stand in my way!"

Her confidence was inspiring, if a little overblown. Max looked towards her team with a curious glint in his eyes. His father always told him that a Trainers team could tell you more about them than any conversation could.

Rosa's was unique. Strong, but not quite like anything he'd seen before.

Her Serperior was off by a small pond in the park, soaking in the sun's rays. The green serpent had a cool air about it, but there was no mistaking the analytical gaze in its eyes. He doubted there was a single thing that one missed.

Snoozing under the shade of a large oak tree, her Amoongus had become a small resting place for much smaller Pokemon in the area. Even from this far away, his nose burned from the foul stench of the poisons coating its body.

Rosa's Accelgor hovered in the air. From the looks of it, the insectoid was surveying their surroundings and keeping a watchful eye over them. Any time someone showed a hint of coming towards them, it tensed up in anticipation of a fight.

The most intriguing of them all was her Delphox. He'd heard stories of their mystical control over fire and divination abilities. If the stories were to be believed, they could scry through the tides of fate to see the future. He didn't know how accurate that was, but seeing the elegant creature meditating by the pond was oddly calming.

He wondered if Rosa had even more Pokemon she kept back at a lab somewhere.

A loud stomach grumble cut through his thoughts. It took him a second to realize that it hadn't been his own, but Rosa's that had made the noise. The girl in question coughed in her hand, blushing in embarrassment.

He chuckled. "Hungry?"

She didn't meet his eyes. "… maybe?"

He felt a tug on his pants courtesy of Kirlia. He glanced down at her only to see her pointing off in the distance towards an ice cream truck set up in the park. Each confection looked delicious, but the deep fried ice cream was what really caught his attention.

Sometimes, it was good to have a partner like Kirlia.

Rosa would love this.

"Why don't we get some ice cream?" Max offered.

The girls' eyes widened, and she paled. Max almost could have sworn he saw fear flash through her eyes, but it was gone as quick as it came that he just chalked it up to a trick of the light.

"A-actually, I'd rather not." She blurted. "I'm lactose intolerant, you know? Plus, I'm in the mood for some real food. Why don't we go find a nice restaurant instead?"

Her offer quickly replaced any disappointment he felt at her turning down ice cream. Clapping his hands in front of himself, he nodded. "Sure! Paldean?"

"Why not? I do like spice."

He smiled. "Great! Let's just collect our Pokemon and get going!"

While he and Rosa did that, he made a mental note to call May. He'd have to cancel his plans with her… which meant he'd need a convincing excuse. There was no way he was going to tell her he was ditching her to eat out with a girl!

He'd save the dumb decision-making for her, thank you very much.

"I honestly have no idea how you can eat that slop."

Domino paused. In her hands was the golden goose of all festival foods. A bacon wrapped, fried chocolate and cream filled cupcake slathered in caramel and dipped in hot fudge with a dash of whipped cream on top. It was greasy and full of enough sugar to kill a fully grown man.

And it was heavenly.

She stuck her tongue out and took a bite out of the sweet, moaning in delight at the flavors assaulting her tongue. "Because it's the best food in the world!"

Silver snorted and rolled his eyes, tossing a pickle chip into his mouth. "If by best you mean most likely to give you diabetes, sure."

"You're just jealous I can eat what I want without having to worry about my figure." She teased.

"Not on your life, Tiffany."

Domino munched away at her snack, content for the moment. While she would have preferred to be out on more exciting missions, Giovanni had elected to have her play bodyguard to this Silver kid again. Even after traveling with him during their war with Plasma and again for the past few months, she still didn't know why he was important.

Just who was he that he needed a Specter for a bodyguard? She'd have been more effective in the field fighting the Iron-Mask's splinter group or Interpol.

No use bemoaning her fate, though. There was nothing she could do. If the boss thought this was where she was needed, then that's where she'd be.

"Mhm, sure. I'll pretend to believe that." She drawled. "Remind me again, how often do we have to avoid the paparazzi stalking you?"

The redhead practically deflated. "Every time we enter a new town…."

"And what happened the last time we stayed at a hotel?" She asked.

His head bounced lightly off the table. "They broke into our room and went through our things."

She waited a second. "And…?"

"And I had Weavile freeze them solid out of embarrassment." He groaned.

"Exactly." She nodded in triumph. "You're the star between us both. Your parents must be so proud."

He lifted his head off the table to mock glare at her. "Nice try. I'm still not telling you who my parents are."

What a shame. Even after their journey together, she still knew next to nothing about his former life. Nothing that could be of any value to her, anyway. One day, she'd get him to crack.

"How are Weavile and the others doing?" She asked. "That last match of yours looked tough."

"It was, but we made it through alright." Silver admitted. "My opponent was strong, but nothing compared to some of the Gym Leaders I've faced in the past."

Domino dipped her cupcake in her fudge. "Well, just be careful. I doubt all of them will be as easy."

Silver chuckled. "Don't I know it. I've seen the roster of Trainers. Former League winners and runner-ups galore. Not to mention someone with a Legend, apparently."

She frowned. "You mean that Spartan freak?"

He nodded. "Yeah. He's the one to beat in this tournament. After his match the other day and his showcase today? Everybody knows it."

He didn't know just how right he was. A disgraced champion was hiding under that mask and running roughshod over the competition. Domino could respect Interpol for using the tools at their disposal, but she was tempted to reveal Ash's identity, regardless.

Even a single conspiracy that he was the man under the mask would throw a wrench in their plans. People would demand to know who he was even more, and the authorities might try to force the issue. Who knows? They might even kill the poor bastard after discovering him.

But that couldn't happen. Few people knew it was Ash under the mask. If any of them revealed who he was, they'd trace the leak back to Petrel soon enough. They couldn't let that happen. The figlio di puttana still had an important job to do.

So, she'd just have to content herself knowing that cockroach's luck would run out soon enough.

"Be careful when you fight him, Silver." She warned. "You saw what he did to the last two people he fought."

He tightened his hand into a fist. "Trust me, I know. I hate the way he battles, but that doesn't make him any less strong. If I'm going to win, then I need to respect him as an opponent."

She leaned back. "Smart move. But I'd rather you didn't fight him at all. Maybe let someone else beat him for you."

He chuckled. "I won't complain if they do. But knowing my luck? I'll end up facing him eventually."

Yeah, that's what she was afraid of. But if he was intent on preparing for the fight, she wasn't going to talk him out of it. Her job was to protect him, so she might as well help him prepare. It was the least she could do. He had grown on her, after all.

That could come later, though. For now?

She still had a glorious cupcake to eat.

They were staring at him.

Ash had known they would, but that didn't make it any easier. His instincts were flaring up, warning him about potential knives in the back. Using his glass of water and cutlery to scan his surroundings helped a little, but he felt too exposed.

Even if he knew most were only staring because of his recent matches, that didn't help calm his nerves. Team Rocket had agents at the festival. Anyone could be working for them.

It was only paranoia if you had nothing to fear.

At the moment, he and his were sitting at a little both for an outdoor café. It had been a couple hours since his match against Harley, and as much as he might want to stay in his hotel room, he couldn't do it to his team. They all deserved a chance to relax and enjoy the festival.

Even if it meant his instincts kept flaring up. Guess he might as well use it as practice to keep them under control.

"You alright, bud?"

Ash glanced up at the table to see Pikachu sitting on the edge, bits of ketchup and hotdogs in his fur. Bewear sat off to the side with an armful of various berries and sweets, passing them out to any wild Pokemon or children that came by. Lilligant sat in the chair opposite of him, sipping away at a cup of hot nectar.

And Latias hovering above them, trying and failing to hide her embarrassment at all the stares she was getting.

"I'm fine." He assured them. "I'd be more concerned about Latias if I were you."

"I'm just not used to people staring at me," Latias said. "Normally, I can just turn invisible or take on my Human form. It's… weird having everyone see my divine form."

Ash drummed his fingers along the edge of the table. He didn't blame her. For Legends like her, they'd have to live their entire lives worrying about hiding away lest they be hunted by arrogant or dangerous Humans.

Interpol needed her shown off, however. She was central to their plan, and even if Rocket's moles inside Interpol filtered the plan back to them, there was no way they'd pass up the chance to nab a Legend. This was their best and perhaps only chance to steal her for the foreseeable future.

Which meant that for once? Latias was going to have to bask in the attention of eager onlookers. He felt her pain.

Bewear snorted off to the side, tossing a Pecha berry in the air and catching it in her mouth. "Don't worry, Latias. If anyone tries anything untoward, I'll crush their spine."

No one doubted the seriousness of her words.

Latias laughed nervously and scratched the back of her head with her claws. "Um… thanks?"

Lilligant chuckled into the palm of her leaf. "Worry not, my lady. Interpol has everything under control." She assured her. "More importantly, you have Master and the rest of us to protect you."

The Legend laughed quietly. "I can protect myself, you know."

Pikachu snorted. "I don't know… so far, you're the weakest of us all, Latias. For shame."

When the bottle of ketchup at his side mysteriously jammed itself down his throat and started to choke him, no one batted an eye. He'd practically been asking for retaliation there. She'd let him up to breathe soon enough.

Not that it would help with his smart mouth.

Ash shook his head. "Just enjoy the rest while you all can." He held up the watch on his wrist. "Looker has a mission for us."

Lilligant blinked in surprise. "Another one? I was led to believe our mission was simply to partake in this tournament, Master."

"That's still our main goal." He told them. "But Looker wants us to run surveillance on someone while we can."

The bottle of ketchup was lifted from his throat, allowing Pikachu to sit up and breathe. He glared up at the dragon, sparks flying off his cheeks. Latias rolled her eyes at his antics and stuck her tongue out at him.

"Who are we spying on?" Pikachu panted.

Ash cupped his hand in front of himself and leaned forward. "Remember Pryce from Johto? The Gym Leader?"

Pikachu blinked in surprise. "That senile old bastard? What could he have done to get on Interpol's radar?"

He didn't know. The file Looker sent him was mostly blacked out and classified. He'd tried to push for more intel, but his boss hadn't budged. Something about keepings things on a need to know basis. All Ash had been told was of a possible connection to Team Rocket, and that he was highly dangerous.

Part of Ash wanted to doubt it. While he had been a little cold when they first met, the man had softened once his Piloswine was returned to him. More importantly, he'd helped them save Mahogany Town from being destroyed by Team Rocket's rampaging Gyarados.

His time with Interpol taught him to crush that doubt. People hid who they truly were all the time, especially criminals. What better way to hide yourself from the authorities than to help them? Giovanni, Lysandre, and so many others had all done the same. There was no reason Pryce wouldn't as well.

He'd keep an open mind, but for now? Ash would follow his orders and keep a close watch. For now, though, he needed to-

Pikachu's eyes widened. "Oh, fuck me-"

"Language."
Lilligant said.

She went ignored. Pikachu leaped off the table and took off sprinting into the distance. Before Ash or anyone else could ask why, a light blue blur sped on by. If his eyes didn't deceive him, it was a Glaceon chasing after him.

There was only one Glaceon in the world who could send Pikachu running like that.

"Glaceon!" A familiar voice shouted. "What are you doing!? Come back here!"

As May came into view, Ash looked towards the sky and closed his eyes. "Why do you do this to me?"

He swore one of these days he was going to kick Arceus in the balls.

May stopped in front of his table. "Spartan? Was that your Pikachu my Glaceon ran after?"

He had never been so thankful for his mask as right now. "Looks like it."

She clasped her hands in front of herself and bowed her head. "I'm so sorry! She's not normally like this. I have no idea what's gotten into her!"

Bewear snorted. "I can think of at least one thing she wants inside- "

Lilligant smacked the bear upside the head with her vines. "No need to be so crude, Bewear. We should have some sympathy for our poor teammate."

Latias rolled her eyes. "Sympathy… sure."

His Pokemon's conversation went unheard by May, but Ash had to withhold a groan. Really? They were choosing now of all times to do this? He was in the middle of holding back his panic. Damn it!

"It's fine." He told May. "I'm sure she has a good reason."

May grumbled. "She'd better. Running off and chasing someone else's Pokemon. Just what is she thinking?"

Probably that she'd found an old flame, and wanted to reconnect. No doubt figure out if he was a danger to May or not, too. He just considered himself lucky Glaceon didn't outright attack him and chased after Pikachu instead.

Small mercy.

He stood up. "Come on. Let's go get them."

May's sapphire eyes blinked. "What?"

"We can't just let them run off on our own. They'll probably be together when we find them, and we'll cover more ground if we all work with one another." Ash stood up from his chair and gave his team a silent nod. "Assuming you're okay with that?"

"Of course!" She said. "You're right. We'll find them faster working together. Thanks!"

"Don't mention it."

As much as he wanted to get as far away from her as possible, he couldn't just abandon Pikachu. If he and Glaceon got into a fight, Ash would need to help him. Even if he calmed her down, who knew how long that would be? Ash wasn't about to spy on a potential agent of Team Rocket without his partner by his side.

He'd just have to bite his tongue and hope he didn't give away the game to May.

"Let's get going. They can't have gotten far."

Reactions: K_S
Chapter 22 New

TheCouchEffect

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
He/His
Chapter 22: Double Booked

Kanto, Sevii Islands, Three Years Ago

Anabel hated hospitals.

She understood they were meant to be a place of healing and hope. They saved thousands of lives every day. She certainly wouldn't want to go back to a world where they didn't exist.

That didn't mean she had to like them.

Despite their best efforts, the stench of death, chemicals, and stale air permeated the building. Their food was bland and produced en masse, sucking every ounce of joy out of it. Worst of all, depending on what region you were in? It could utterly wipe out what little wealth the average person had built up over their life.

Not to mention the fact that people only ever came here for two reasons: they were either going to die themselves… or someone close to them was.

Anabel was fortunate she was neither.

It had been close. She'd gotten into a nasty fight recently on her vacation. While she'd gotten the leg up on her enemies, it had been far from a flawless victory. Even two weeks later, her body ached at the slightest movements. Sleeping was all but impossible; she could only ever keep her eyes shut a few hours before the doctors would start shouting or a machine would go off.

It was… tiring.

Fortunately, there was a silver lining to all of this.

They allowed her to keep Espeon outside of her ball. While the cuddles were nice, she appreciated having someone she trusted to talk to most of all. The nurses tried, but… it just wasn't the same. Her partner was curled up at her side, resting her chin on Anabel's thigh.

After all, she knew when they were lying, when they were exhausted, and every emotion they felt.

At the moment, Anabel was sitting in her room and munching on a plate of grilled Pidgey. No spices; just salt and pepper with a side of lettuce and week-old tomatoes with a glass of Oran Berry juice. She'd long since given up trying to get anything tasty out of this place.

The purplette stretched her arms above her head and glanced out the window. It was about midday right now. With the TV off and the sun illuminating the room, it was the perfect time to catch up on her reading.

Just as she was about to pick it up, there was a knock at the door.

"Ms. Romanov?"

The voice was rough and gravely, like the owner had smoked a carton of cigarettes a day for the past twenty years. The wrinkled, pale face of an old crone with graying blonde hair and charcoal eyes greeted her. She wore a simple purple dress and a frayed green scarf around her neck. In her hand rested a simple wooden cane.

Anabel frowned. "That's me, but you can call me Anabel. Who are you?"

The woman shut the door behind her and moved forward, her cane clacking against the tile floor. Yet as she moved forward, Anabel saw how flawless her gait was. However old she may have been, her legs worked fine. There was no reason for her to use a cane.

It set her on edge.

The deceptive crone chuckled. "My, my. I know I'm old, but to think I've become that unrecognizable. Used to be I couldn't even step outside without being swarmed." She gave a toothy grin. "Agatha Monad of the Kanto Elite Four."

Her eyes widened. What was one of them doing visiting her? While she may have had a small following as a Frontier Brain, she was small beans compared to Agatha. Members of the Elite Four were the most prestigious people around.

Even someone like Agatha, who was notorious for hating the attention, had a larger following than most Gym Leaders.

"It's nice to meet you, but why are you here?" Anabel asked.

Agatha ignored her, gesturing to the table beside her bed. "Do you play?"

Anabel glanced at the table and the chessboard that sat atop it. One nurse had brought it a few days ago after noticing how bored Anabel was. A kind gesture, but not one she could take advantage of with no one to play with.

Not when Espeon detested board games.

"I know the basics, but I'm not very good." She admitted.

Agatha's toothy grin widened. Predatory amusement rolled off her. "You must not have had a very good teacher, then. Indulge an old woman with a game, will you?"

She had a feeling she was making a mistake, but…. "Alright. Just go easy on me?"

The old crone's eyes twinkled with sincerity. "But of course."

It was a lie.

Soon enough, the board was set, and Agatha sat opposite her. Anabel had chosen the black set while her opponent took the chance to move first with white. She didn't mind. It'd give her the chance to see what the old woman was doing and plan accordingly.

"Black? Interesting choice." Agatha moved her knight forward in her first move. "Do you know why it is black moves second, my dear?"

Anabel frowned, edging one of her pawns forward. "I never thought about it. I just thought that was how things were done."

"You're not alone. Most people don't bother thinking about it much." Agatha said, as they continued their game. "The truth is just as simple, but much more amusing."

She blinked. "What is it?"

"Superstition, my dear." The old crone snickered. "Centuries ago, people believed that black was a lucky color blessed by Arceus itself. It was commonly accepted that allowing the lucky color to move first would be unfair to the opponent. Thus, a compromise was made."

"Letting white move first out of good sportsmanship." Anabel narrowed her eyes at the board. "Wouldn't it have been simpler to just use a different color, though?"

"Ah, but we Humans love our rules. Someone has to move first, and the easiest way to decide is through color coordination." Agatha instructed. "No matter the color, we'd have found a reason to justify it."

"I see." She didn't. "You still haven't told me why you're here?"

Much less challenging her to a game of chess.

"I wanted to meet the hero of the hour."

Anabel froze. Espeon raised her head from the purplette's lap, narrowing her eyes at the old crone. Both of them could feel the guarded curiosity coming from Agatha. It set them both on edge.

"What do you mean?" Anabel asked.

"It was you who saved these islands, wasn't it? From Team… whatever their name was. There's so many of them nowadays it's hard to keep track." The click of a chess piece against the board was heard. "It was mighty impressive, especially for a girl your age."

Anabel scratched Espeon between the shoulder blades, noting the tension in her partner. "It was nothing."

Agatha scoffed. "Oh, come off it. There's a time and a place for humbleness, girl. Stopping the massacre of an entire island chain isn't one of them."

"I didn't do it on my own." She mumbled.

"No, you didn't. A number of Trainers, first responders, and civilians also stepped in to help. They are to be commended." Agatha pushed her queen up and leaned forward. "None of them charged into the lions' den, however."

It wasn't like she was planning on it. She'd come to the Sevii Islands for a relaxing vacation. Some time soaking in the sun and kicking back with her Pokemon. An adventure through the island to practice some of her photography. Maybe even find a local to share an adventure or two with.

She'd barely been here two days when the madness began.

Wild Pokemon driven into a mindless frenzy and devouring everything in sight. Communications with the mainland had been (actually, cutoff is correct). A mysterious group in magenta launching a takeover of the island with their own powerful monsters and weapons.

Worst of all was that most of the people on the island… they hadn't been themselves. While they weren't as ravenous as the Pokemon, they acted more like drones than people. Hunting those unaffected through the streets.

It'd been hours before she found anyone else unaffected by it all. A mismatch of shopkeepers, vacationing Trainers, firefighters, and the local Nurse Joy. There may have been more on other parts of the island chain, but she never met them.

"We were just doing what we had to do so we could survive." Anabel sighed. "None of us wanted to hurt the people of the islands or their Pokemon. Our only choice was to go after the main group."

"And what a stand you all made." Agatha croaked. "While your group set fire to the city center as a distraction, you snuck into their base and fought their leaders. Quite soundly beat them too, if what I hear is right."

Anabel shrugged. "It wasn't too difficult. Most people think having a team of Dark types makes them immune to Psychics."

It didn't take him or his men long to figure out that debris hurtled at sixty miles an hour hurt like hell regardless of what you were.

She hummed, narrowing her eyes at the chessboard. She and Agatha were clashing on the left flank of the board. Anabel had done her best to protect her king, but she'd lost a lot of pawns to do it. She'd need to tread carefully.

"It doesn't end there, though, does?" Agatha prodded. "The chaos didn't end with their defeat. There was something else, wasn't there?"

Anabel closed her eyes and held Espeon close. "An idol."

Agatha's face softened. Her wrinkled hands reached out to hold Anabel's, tracing comforting circles into her palm. "What did you do?"

"There was this… pull to the idol. It compelled me to touch it." Anabel mumbled. "It wasn't like a Psychic. They push and break through defenses, then build them back up afterwards. Trick your mind into thinking everything is alright. This was different."

"How?" Agatha prodded.

"Something inside of me wanted to touch it. To hold the idol and never let it go." Anabel frowned. "My mental barriers were strong; if something had tried to break past them, me and my team would have known."

"What happened when you touched it?"

"I… I don't know how to describe it."

Agatha tightened her grip, but not enough to hurt. "Try. This is important, my dear."

"It felt… wrong." She eventually said. "The colors were too bright – like some artist's nightmare smearing colors all over the darkness. Every sound was like a dagger to my ears. My skin… it felt like a prison that I had to claw my way out of. Then something drew me in."

"Something?" Agatha asked.

She didn't know what else to say. When the world fell away and the idol pulled her in, it was almost like her mind was trying to protect her from what she was seeing. Trying to describe it is like trying to recall a dream you had years ago.

"I don't know how long I was under that thing's grasp, but a headache hit me all at once. There was such intense pressure behind my eyes and inside my head, it felt like I was going to pop."

"You said you were pulled in." Agatha observed. "Pulled where?"

Espeon licked her hand comfortingly. "Somewhere dark, but also not at the same time? It was like… a perversion of reality. Nothing seemed right. Rotten trees that continued to sprout fresh fruit. Deformed faces that lacked a mouth yet still screamed in vain. Even the very air itself was sickly sweet, like it was contaminated with something foul."

"I see…"

Anabel pressed on. "Geometry was wrong. There were circles with sharp edges or triangles with eight angles converging on one another. It was like I was in a place without time or space. I could breathe, but no matter how much I took in, it was never enough. Thinking back, I don't even think I really had a body…."

Agatha leaned back with a frown. "It sounds torturous."

She didn't know the half of it. "It was like I was awake and asleep all at once. Wading through a world I didn't understand. My entire being was under assault all at once. Then… it appeared."

The old crone tightened her grip on her cane. "What appeared?"

"I don't know. A… a deer, I think. Massive – easily taller than most buildings, not to mention as blue and black as an ocean at night. And the smell. Imagine drowning in a sea of flowers all at once. Just being around it hurt."

Agatha's frown worsened. "What did it do when it saw you?"

"It spoke. And everything hurt so much worse."

Anabel shuddered and clenched her eyes shut, trying to block out the memory of what the creature was. A part of her wanted to stop talking about it, but something about Agatha pushed her to keep talking. Like she had to finish the story no matter what.

After a moment, her nerves settled down, and she smoothed out her sheets to rest her shaking hands on Espeon. "It didn't speak like we do, or even how Pokemon speak. It ripped open my mind and beamed everything into me."

"Everything? Could you explain?"

"Thoughts, feelings, concepts, worlds. It was like it was trying to force its existence onto me and… make me part of it."

Arceus preserve her.

"It's a god. I don't know what of or where it's from, but that thing held more divinity than any Legend I've ever met. It was so happy to see me, but that joy? I wanted nothing to do with it." Anabel shivered. "It knows what we are. How we live. It wants to live with us – improve us. But that's not the worst part."

"I find that hard to believe." The elder muttered. "What could be worse than what you've described so far?"

"It knew me." Anabel whispered. "I-I don't know how, but it was almost like… like we had met before? It asked if I'd missed it – if I was ready to become one with it yet. If we were all ready to become one with it."

Espeon growled in displeasure.

"I tried to tell it that I didn't want that. That all it would do is hurt us if it did." She sighed. "I don't think it heard me, or didn't want to hear me. I was an insect compared to it. Then it just toyed with me. Forced itself inside of my memories and lapped them up. I could feel its eyes on my eighth birthday. I could feel its breath on my neck when I got my starter. Hear its voice whispering to me when I got my first crush."

"Yet you survived. Here you sit in the hospital about to make a full recovery." Agatha said. "You must have fought it off somehow."

Anabel laughed bitterly. "You'd think so, wouldn't you? I tried, but it was like it knew what I was going to do before I did. Almost like it had seen it all before." She shook her head. "I got the sense it was laughing. If it weren't for Espeon, who knows what would have happened?"

Agatha glanced down at the purple fox. "What did the lass do?"

She smiled at her partner and scratched her between the ears. "However long I was in there with the thing, Espeon must have noticed my distress. She snatched the idol out of my hands and smashed it into the ground."

The relief she'd felt when she was away from that creature had been unlike anything she'd ever felt before. It was a blessing she'd passed out soon after. Otherwise, she'd have broken down into hysterics and likely kept going when the others arrived.

"The idol must have been acting as a link to the creature, and amplifying its hold over the islands. Lucky us that your team was strong enough to resist and destroy the damn thing." Agatha patted her on the shoulder. "Thank you for sharing."

Anabel glared. "You can thank me by telling me what that thing was. You obviously know what it is."

For a moment, she feared Agatha would deny it. Keep her in the dark and walk out of her life without so much as a second gland. Mercifully, the old crone merely smiled and leaned back, nudging another of her chess pieces into position.

"The creature you met was Xerneas, the so-called Life Pokemon, as far as Kalosian mythology is concerned." Agatha snorted derisively. "That little peek into its consciousness you got? You just saw what its ideal form of life is."

"Xerneas…." She mumbled. "If it's a Kalosian Legend, what's one of its artifacts doing here in Kanto?"

"Bah! Worthless lines on a map are what they are. Do you truly think Legends care what Human cultures latch onto them?" Agatha sneered. "Those things have wandered our world since its creation. Long before mortals existed. It's not hard to believe they did the same for our ancient ancestors."

A fair point. Even in the modern world, Legends still migrated between Regions frequently. Even if they avoided Humans nowadays rather than receive worship, that didn't stop the awe people felt at seeing foreign Legends roaming the land.

"I just don't know what it meant. You'd think a creature that rules over life would be kind and warm, not… not that." Anabel shivered. "What did it even mean by all of that, anyway? Did we miss it? Become one with it? From the sounds of it, the thing is already walking the world."

Agatha hummed. "In a sense. Xerneas takes millennia long hibernations. As for the latter… who knows? Legends are notoriously hard to understand." She said, "If I had to make a guess? It's not nearly as benevolent as our myths lead us to believe. Not that the rest of the world will ever know that."

After what she'd gone through? She didn't doubt that for a second.

"Checkmate. I win."

Anabel blinked and looked down at the board. To her shock, Agatha was right. While she'd been so focused on matching her moves on the flank and forcing all her pieces there, she'd neglected to focus on some of Agatha's own pawns. Her earlier capture of the woman's queen had come back to bite her when a pawn reached her side of the board.

Inevitably ending in her king being attacked from both sides and trapped.

"Impressive. You must have a knack for strategy." Anabel said.

Agatha scoffed. "Please. Chess is hardly a test of strategy, my girl."

She tilted her head to the side. "It's not?"

"Hardly." She drawled. "Despite what the movies may tell you, a skilled chess player is neither a genius mastermind nor a brilliant general. All it shows is someone with basic critical thinking skills and a good memory."

"I thought old kings and queens would play the game in the past to train for war?" Anabel asked.

"Perhaps they did. That was before the advent of modern weapons technology or the Pokemon strengthened to new heights." Agatha instructed. "In real life, battles aren't fought on a 16x16 board of wood; no two armies are exactly the same; and tossing troops lives away hardly wins out in the end."

Anabel chuckled. "It sounds like you hate Chess."

"Oh, I love it. But it's a game just like any other. Those who claim otherwise need a good lesson in humility and a breath of fresh air." Agatha rolled her eyes. "You did well, child. Much better than Samuel ever did. Dumb bastard never could get his head around it."

Anabel and Espeon both shared a look. "Samuel?"

The Elite Four laughed. "No one important, my dear, despite what some may tell you."

"I see."

She really didn't.

Agatha nodded. "Yes… yes, you'll do nicely. I have to admit, you've impressed me. A lot more than I thought you would." She said, "You'll make an excellent agent."

Anabel frowned, shifting in place. "Agent? What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about recruitment, my dear girl." Agatha explained. "You may know me from my time in the League, but I also work for a group called Interpol. Perhaps you've heard of them?"

"Only a little. They're global police officers that work for the United Regions, right?" Anabel asked.

"A very simplistic explanation, but not inaccurate." The aging woman said. "It's true that we hunt criminals, but we also protect our people from anything that might threaten them. Rogue Legends like Xerneas are at the top of our list."

"It sounds important." Anabel looked away. "And you want me to join you? Just because I helped free these islands?"

"No modesty, brat. You saved these islands; no one else. More importantly, you got a glimpse into the mind of a Legend and came out the other side alive and sane." Agatha praised. "We'd be fools not to want you with us. Not to mention your Psychic abilities will be very useful in our line of work."

"I've already got a job, though. I'm a Frontier Brain." Anabel said.

"Bah! The life of a glorified entertainer just like the League's Gym Leaders and Champions." Agatha sneered. "Prestige, wealth, glory; all worthless in the grand scheme of things. All that strength, and they use it for nothing important. What I'm offering you is a chance to do something meaningful with your life."

Anabel didn't want to admit it, but she agreed with Agatha. Battles had stopped being fun for her a long time ago. Nowadays, it was just a job she did to help provide for her family and fill the time in the day. As wonderful as Scott could be as a boss and lovely as the other Frontier Brains were…

Being one of them left her feeling hollow. Like there was something more she was meant to do.

Anabel closed her eyes. "This is a lot to take in. Can I have some time to think about it?"

Agatha stood up and nodded. "I'd be disappointed if you didn't. Rest. Recover from your wounds and enjoy the rest of your vacation. You can give us your answer once you're done."

"How will I contact you? Do you guys have a hotline or something?" Anabel quipped.

"We'll know." Agatha's shadow almost looked like it was laughing and coiling around her. Just as soon as Anabel noticed, however, it disappeared.

Nothing creepy there. Nope. Not at all.

"If I join… can I tell people I trust?" She asked.

"We'd prefer you be discreet, but you're free to tell those you trust. So long as you keep it brief and don't go into detail about what happened on these islands." Agatha sighed. "We're having trouble keeping things under wraps as it is. If news about the true cause of the attack got out, it'd be disastrous."

As callous as it was to hide the truth from the world, a part of her agreed with them. No need to make the rest of the world fearful of the dark. They had enough to worry about as is. They didn't need horrific Legends thrown on top of it all.

"I hope to see you again soon, Ms. Romanov. I believe you have the potential to do great things."

Arceus had a sense of humor.

With how often Pikachu's life went south, they had to. Comedians claimed that every success had to be met with immediate and ironic failure. He didn't know how true that was, but after years of reaching new heights of strength and glorious achievements, he expected fate to punch him in the gut every chance it could.

It was what he got for being partnered with Ash.

All he knew was that if he ever met Arceus again? He'd zap the bastard to a crisp. You know… once he got over the crippling terror that came with facing the creator of everything. Assuming he found a way to actually hurt them as well. He still remembered the attacks of an entire city and the combined forces of the Myth Trio bouncing harmlessly off them.

Those damn plates… they were cheating!

Pikachu's current problem was the perfect example of that bastard's sadistic humor. He and Ash had finally returned to a sense of normality by competing in a tournament again. Sure, they were on a mission with Interpol to draw out Team Rocket, but that wasn't a big deal. If he just didn't think about it, he could pretend they were back in the good old days.

Minus having to stay inside a Pokeball, anyway.

As seemed to be the case for them nowadays, every brief moment of happiness was dashed in an instant.

When the scent of an old friend hit his nose and the sound of her paws reached his ears, Pikachu had given up any hope of a peaceful day. That chill in the air wasn't just his imagination, not when he saw other people's breath on the air.

Glaceon – May's Glaceon – was near and coming straight for him.

So, he did the only thing he could think of that would solve this problem: He turned and ran away as fast as his paws could carry him.

It was cowardly, but he couldn't help it. When he found out they'd come to the festival for the mission, Pikachu had known it was inevitable they'd run into May. Between her orchestrating the festival and Interpol needing them to stand out as contenders? The odds were stacked against them.

Despite this, Pikachu had been hopeful they'd fly under the radar. The whole reason he consented to staying in that Arceus damned ball was to protect Ash's identity. Even if they met May, they'd be fine as long as the mask stayed on and his partner didn't say something stupid.

A tall ask whenever May was involved, but Interpol had taught Ash to think before he spoke. That small flicker of hope was all he needed.

Unfortunately, Pikachu had forgotten one key detail… a Pokemon's nose never lied. The instant Glaceon was let out of her ball and recognized his scent, she must have come running.

Sprinting through the crowds of people walking the street was difficult when you were his size. Most people never looked at the ground and might step on him by accident. With how many Humans and their Pokemon were out today, there wasn't much room to maneuver either. His one saving grace was the gaps between their legs he could dash through.

"Stop running!'

Unfortunately, his pursuer was just as small as him. Almost as fast, too. It was a blessing from above that she wasn't trying to blast him with ice or create obstacles with her attacks. With so many people around them, they could get hurt if an attack missed.

Neither of them was willing to let that happen, and he wasn't going to fight her. He just hoped she could say the same. Otherwise? He'd be in for a rough time if he couldn't lose her.

As the two dashed by a nearby restaurant, he leaped up onto one of the outdoor tables. The family of four sitting there all reared back in shock, followed quickly by shouts of anger as he sent their food scattering to the ground.

He'd already hopped to another table before any of them could do anything. Soon enough, he'd ruined the meals of dozens of people and scampered off. While the Humans tried to give chase, he was gone before any of them were even out of their seats.

More importantly, the suddenly frantic Humans blocked Glaceon's path long enough for him to vanish from sight.

Snickering in triumph, he dashed down a nearby alley behind a garden shop a ways away from the restaurant. All he needed to do now was vanish and he could find his way back to Ash-

He skidded to a stop just short of a brick wall. Instead of a clear path to another street, a dead end greeted him. That was fine. He could still salvage this. All he had to do was keep running until he found somewhere more crowded. Then he could-

"Got you!"

He flinched and spun on his heels, cheeks sparking defensively. The frostbitten fox stood at the entrance of the alley and blocked his escape. A chill ran down his spine and his breath came out in visible huffs. The air was biting, but not yet dangerous.

That would change in an instant if this came to blows.

He'd need to channel all the charisma and wit he'd acquired over the years.

An audible gulp escaped him as he raised his paws placatingly. A nervous laugh bubbled past his lips, and he tried his best to smile. "H-hey there, Glaceon. Long time no see, huh? You're looking good today. New diet?"

She growled.

Pikachu was about to rip out his tongue and stomp it into the dirt.

Glaceon took a step forward, the crystal tips of her fur glinting in the sunlight. "You have five seconds to tell me why I shouldn't freeze you solid."

"My good looks?" He joked.

Arctic energy formed in front of her mouth.

He frantically shook his hands from side to side. "I don't even know what you want me to tell you!"

"You and Ash!" She growled. "Why are you two here?"

Pikachu looked away. "I… I don't think I should say."

"You'd better think again." Glaceon demanded. "Your trainer is a killer hiding behind a mask. If you don't tell me why you're here, I'll make sure everyone learns the truth."

He wanted to refute her. To tell her that Ash wasn't a killer, nor the monster the media made him out to be. But… Alola had taken what little innocence he still had and forced him to sully his hands with blood.

"He was framed, Glaceon." He opted for instead. "Team Rocket took control of his mind and forced his body to kill her."

The Ice type scoffed. "You expect me to believe that?"

Pikachu frowned. "Not the group that followed us. It was the others that were behind it. They're worse than you can imagine." He told her. "Please, Glaceon. You know me and Ash. Do you really think we'd do something like that?"

"A lot can change in a few years. Ash could have become anyone over his journey, and you've always been unflinchingly loyal to him." She retorted.

"And he earned that loyalty by proving to me what a good man he is!" Pikachu all but shouted. "He didn't just save my life, he's saved countless people! Not just friends or people he knows, but random strangers he's never met before!"

Glaceon allowed the arctic energy to dissipate, a frown splitting her face. "That's true…."

"Arceus' sake, he's saved May more times than I can count! He nearly drowned to protect her!" He pressed on. "Doesn't that earn him the benefit of the doubt?"

She glanced away, silent.

He pounced on the opening and took a cautious step forward. "You know what a powerful Psychic can do, Glaceon. How easily they can control someone's mind." He said, "What makes more sense? That someone controlled Ash and forced him to commit the crime? Or that he just snapped out of the blue after achieving his dream and killed a random woman he'd never met before?"

Her eyes were clenched shut as she growled. "I don't know!"

"Yes, you do." Pikachu softly said. "I know you must have heard a lot of bad things about him. I don't blame you for believing them, but please… just trust us? At least until we give you a reason not to."

"I'm insane for even considering this, but…." She sighed. "Fine. I'll trust you two for now."

He let out a breath of relief. "Thank you- "

"Don't think this means I'm letting you two off the hook!" She snapped. "If either of you step one toe out of line, I'll freeze him solid. And as for you? I'll make sure you learn how painful frostbite can be firsthand. Got it?"

He gulped. "G-got it!"

"Good. Glad we got that sorted out." A tiny smile spread across her face. "It is good to see you again, Pikachu. I'm glad you're alright."

He was too. Here he'd been expecting to have lost his tail to winter's icy grip. Looks like fate was finally shining on him!

Pikachu smiled, moving to get around her. "Yeah, it's great to see you, too. Come on, we should probably get back to- "

Her tail swept out and pushed him back. "Oh, no you don't. You're not escaping me that easily." She drawled. "You didn't actually think I was gonna let you walk away before you answered my questions, did you?"

He cringed. "… is it bad I thought I might?"

"I guess it's true that Trainers and their Pokemon take after each other. You and Ash are both dense as a rock." She snorted. "Now, tell me exactly what you two have been up to the past year and why you're here. Spare no detail."

Pikachu sighed. "I guess there's no escaping it. Fine. Just promise not to tell anyone, okay?"

"Who would I tell? May? She wouldn't understand even if I tried."

"I'm so sorry!"

"It's fine."

Everything was not fine.

Ash had been hoping for a peaceful day. With his match behind him, all he wanted was a quick bite to eat before vanishing. Sure, Interpol might have sent him a mission briefing, but that was fine. A little surveillance couldn't hurt. All he had to do was remain unseen, and he could essentially treat it like a day off.

Instead, Arceus decided to have another laugh at his expense and drop the last person he wanted to see in his lap.

Arrogant prick.

At his side, May groaned in embarrassment. "No, it's not." She said, "I don't know what's gotten into her. I swear, she's not normally like this."

Maybe not with other people's Pokemon, but this was par for the course with Pikachu. The two had always been close during their journey together. Even after Ash and May parted ways, their Pokemon never lost their excitement at seeing each other.

Though, if Glaceon was anything like May, then he doubted Pikachu was having a pleasant conversation with her. A part of him worried his identity could be revealed, but he pushed it to the back of his mind. If Glaceon tried to attack him or take his mask off, then there was nothing he could do but defend himself and try to get away.

"I'm sure there's a good explanation." He told her. "As long as Pikachu is alright, there's no need to worry."

May gave him a skeptical look. "You sure about that?"

It wasn't hard to see why she'd be skeptical.

While tracking their path had been easy thanks to his team, it wouldn't have mattered even if he had returned them all. The carnage Pikachu and Glaceon left in their wake would have been impossible to miss. Angry customers screaming at wait staff, children crying, food scattered on the ground, and more than a few upturned tables.

If Petrovic could see this, he'd be laughing.

"… I'm sure that whoever's behind this is long gone by now. No need to cause any trouble by sticking our nose in other people's business." He eventually said. "No one likes a busybody who can't leave well enough alone."

He could feel the collective eyes of every Interpol agent rolling at the thought. Minding your own business was a joke as far as their group went. They were paid to stick their noses where they didn't belong, after all.

She chuckled and nudged him with her elbow. "Normally, I'd be offended you'd even suggest I look the other way… buuuuut I really don't feel like dealing with dozens of hangry customers today."

"Lucky me." His synthesized voice said.

"No need to sound so enthusiastic." She rolled her eyes. "Most guys would be thrilled to spend some time with me, you know."

Most guys weren't international criminals wanted for murder and working for an intelligence agency.

"You can be offended later. Let's just focus on finding our Pokemon first." He said instead.

May laughed again. "Fair enough. At least we know we're heading in the right direction."

Lilligant's laughter reached their ears. "She's not what I expected of a famous Coordinator. I can see why you like her, Master."

Ash ignored her. With his Pokemon leading the way towards Pikachu, they were naturally kept out of their balls. Unfortunately, that meant he was forced to listen to their running commentary on the crisis he was going through.

Latias floated down from the sky, a cheshire grin on her face. "I'd say it's a little more than 'liking' her, if Pikachu is right."

Lilligant gasped in mock surprise. "You can't mean what I think you mean?"

The dragoness nodded gravely. "Afraid so. He wants to… hold her hands in public!"

"Oh, how scandalous!"
Lilligant cried.

They were silent for a second… before immediately descending into fits of laughter at his expense. None of them could see his eye twitching in annoyance, but he knew Latias felt every ounce of it through their connection. Just like he could feel how much his suffering amused her.

No more whipped cream for dinner would sort that out.

Bewear rolled her eyes and held her arms above her head. While most stared in dumb awe of her, those who had traveled to Alola took it for the warning it was and bolted the second they saw it. It was very good at clearing their path, he'd give her that.

"You two are so childish. Let the boy have his fun." Bewear chided. "He's far too serious for someone his age."

"Your team is really impressive, Spartan." May said, completely oblivious to their conversation. "Are they all you have, or are there others?"

"There are others, but most of them are back at the lab."

Or out in the field with other agents. Or training for the job and resting between missions. Probably even a couple getting ready for retirement as they got older. With Interpol's reserves at his fingertips, the variety he had at his disposal was practically limitless.

"Ooh, a lab? Anyone I'd know?" May asked.

Ash side-eyed her through the mask. Not that she could tell. "That depends. Have you ever met a man named Magician?"

She blinked. "Their name is Magician?"

"They're a very eccentric person."

And sadistic… Ash still shuddered when he thought of that man. His tech was second-to-none, but good lord, did he take a strange amount of glee in watching things explode. Arceus help them if he found out Latias could regenerate entire limbs…

"Well, I can't say I have. I doubt I'd forget them if I did." She glanced up at Latias in admiration. "I still can't believe you have a Latias on your team. She must see something in you worth following."

Latias floated down next to May, humming in agreement. When May reached out to stroke her neck and stretch between her shoulder blades, the dragoness moaned in delight. "Oh, that's the spot! Her hands are so soft! Arceus, she has the fingers of an angel!"

May smiled. "I think she likes me."

It was a small mercy Latias was keeping her telepathy a secret.

"You know, this is the first time I've seen one up close. Her feathers are a lot softer than you'd expect." May said. "I wonder if a Latios would be the same."

Ash frowned. "A Latios?"

She nodded. "Yep. You're not the only one with a Legend competing, you know. There's someone with a Latios as well… I think his name is Tobias?"

He remembered. That man was perhaps the strongest opponent Ash had ever faced. Anyone with command over a Legend deserved respect, let alone multiple. That took a strength of character and martial prowess most just didn't possess.

Even at his strongest, Ash wasn't sure he could beat him. It'd taken his entire team just to beat two of Tobias' own, and even then it had come down to luck just to get that far. It was a shame Tobias never competed in a tournament after that one again.

Ash would have given anything to fight him again.

Even if his love for battles had waned since joining Interpol, he couldn't deny that old excitement bubbling to the surface at the thought of it. A battle with a man like Tobias was once in a lifetime. Only someone like the undefeated Leon would be a more exciting battle.

A shame he'd never get the chance to fight him.

"I'll be honest, I'm kind of hoping you and that Tobias guy get a chance to battle. Seeing your Latias and his Latios dancing through the skies." May chuckled. "It might just top the battle you had with Harley. Nice work, by the way."

"You sound happy I won," He observed.

She tapped her chin, humming in thought. "I wouldn't say happy you won so much as glad Harley lost." She shrugged. "Sorry if that makes me sound like a bad judge. I tried not to let it influence me, but… let's just say Harley isn't the nicest of people."

"I noticed." He said.

Latias snorted. "I don't think you have any room to talk, Ash. You've been breaking spirits since the festival started."

It was for his cover, damn it! He didn't actually mean any of what he said!

"That doesn't make it better~" She sang.

Bewear held out her arm and stopped them all in their tracks, sniffing the air. "They're close by."

Ash frowned. "Where?"

Before she could lead them forward, Pikachu and Glaceon stepped out of a nearby alley. Rather than covered in blood or battle wounds, they looked… fine. Almost chummy, even. That wasn't at all what he expected.

May ran over to Glaceon and picked her up by the armpits, hoisting her up to eye level. "What were you thinking? You can't just chase after random Pokemon!"

Glaceon looked away. "You'd understand if I could tell you…."

Ash glanced down at Pikachu. Even through the mask, his silent question was obvious. Pikachu nodded and gave him a thumbs up. He took his partner's word for it and stepped forward, placing a hand on May's shoulder.

"It's fine. They didn't cause too much trouble. No harm, no foul."

May sighed. "You're lucky Spartan here is so forgiving. You are still going to have a long talk about this later."

While May enlarged her Pokeball to return the ice fox, Ash did the same to his own team. He made a point of saving Pikachu for last so May could see him physically returning Pikachu to his ball. Anything to wipe away suspicions about who he was.

"So, I know you said everything was fine, but I still feel bad about interrupting your lunch," May eventually said. "Why don't you let me make it up to you?"

Ash turned to walk away. "You really don't have to."

Her hand wrapped around his arm and pulled him back. "I want to!" She said, "It's the least I can do, really. My parents made sure I learned how to apologize to anyone I inconvenienced."

Ash tried to pull his arm gently from her grip. "Really, it's fine- "

"My brother canceled on me at the last minute to train. I'm not surprised, but just a little disappointed after all the trouble I went through to get the tickets." May went on. "There's an exhibit of modern heroes being hosted by the UR. Do you want to come with me?"

Ash could only stare in silence. Of all the sick jokes that the universe could play on him, this had to be the worst one. Here he was, trying his best to avoid being around anyone that could ferret out his true identity, and what's the first thing that happens when one of them gets him caught alone?

They invite him out to the one place his surveillance target is scheduled to appear. He'd been concerned about blending in before, but if people just thought he and May were out together? Either as friends hanging out or a potential couple on a date?

Pryce would never suspect a thing.

Ash sighed. "… I guess that sounds fun. Lead the way."

She pumped her fist into the air. "Awesome! Don't worry, I'm sure this is gonna be a ton of fun! Just you wait and see!"

This was going to be a long day. Somehow, he just knew it….

He hated when he was right.

It was funny. Back during his journey, Ash loved to be in crowds. The cacophony of voices speaking over one another, the press of warm bodies against each other, and the general sense of life was amazing. No matter where in the world you went, an excited crowd could break down any barriers and spur you on to try new things.

Not so much anymore. Nowadays? He hated it. Just being in one made him feel vulnerable. Too many people all around him made it impossible to protect his back. Any of them could have been tailing him or hiding a knife to slide into him once he let his guard down.

It was times like this that made him miss the old days. Ignorance truly was bliss….

He tensed up when May nudged him with her elbow, barely stopping himself from lashing out. "Hey, you alright? You've been kind of quiet." May asked.

Ash shook his head. "I'm fine. Just focusing on the exhibition."

She hummed in curiosity. "I didn't know you liked history."

He didn't, but it was all part of the job. Most of the world's problems could be traced back through history to some event decades prior. Wars, famines, financial crashes, assassinations; all of them had roots in the past. As an agent, it was his job to learn from the past so he could solve modern problems.

Ironically, it also made him despise the rich. The amount of disasters and suffering caused by unchecked greed and ambition… It disgusted him.

One thing he could always respect, however, was heroes. No matter what walk of life they came from, anyone willing to stand in defense of others deserved his admiration. This exhibition was the perfect place to show off heroes from around the world, regardless of their home Region.

It was an outdoor affair. Rather than hosting it all inside of a sterile room, the organizers chose to do it outside. Various statues, paintings, and booths had all been set up around a stage that allowed the chosen speakers to regale the crowd with tales of heroes.

Pryce was one such speaker. While he wasn't up just yet, Ash could see him sitting on stage and drumming his fingers along the edge of his cane. Given the fanfare surrounding his Spartan persona and the Hoenn Princess at his side, it was almost guaranteed the old Gym Leader noticed him.

No sign he suspected anything, though.

Then again, if he really was a criminal, would Ash even be able to tell? Only the smartest and cruelest criminals made it to old age. Someone like that would have learned how to hide their suspicions with the grace of a master con artist.

Just then, the old man's eyes swept over the crowd. Rather than panic and potentially give himself away, Ash glided through the crowd towards a nearby booth handing out flowers. It was held in honor of some Kalosian hero they'd yet to hear about, but that didn't matter.

All that mattered was it was a convenient way to ward off suspicion.

With May trailing close behind him, Ash plucked a single flower from the booth. It was a beautiful shade of dark purple with a soft, creamy smell that reminded him of the early spring. Memories of walking through fields of these during his journey were clear as day.

He turned and held it out to May.

"Here."

She flushed and hesitantly held it between her fingers, "Oh, um… thank you. They're beautiful." She took a deep breath and sighed in contentment, "You picked a good one. Lilacs are my favorite."

Ash remembered. While most people would normally have gone for a rose or a lily, May had always gravitated towards lilacs. He never did figure out why. All she told him when he asked was that it had something to do with flower language.

All these years later, and he still had no idea what she meant by that.

The surrounding crowd quieted down as the announcer on stage tapped the microphone, drawing everyone's eyes towards them. They cleared their throat, smiling politely for effect. Looming behind them was what must have been a statue beneath a thick red curtain.

"Alright everyone, our next guest speaker is ready to begin. He's- "

Pryce strode forward and took the mic from them, "I can speak for myself." With a dismissive wag of his fingers, the announcer stepped back, "My name is Pryce Willow Harper. Some of you may know me as the Frozen Demon of Johto's Gym circuit. What many of you likely don't know is that I originally hailed from Kanto."

The crowd began to whisper amongst themselves. They'd all come here to hear about modern heroes. As famous as being a Gym Leader made him, Pryce was not that. Everyone knew how harsh he could be on overconfident challengers.

For Ash, however, his mind spun. If Pryce was from Kanto, that strengthened his connection to Team Rocket. If he remembered the history of the group right, they could trace their origins back over two decades to the aftermath of the Great War. Circumstantial, but the man was old enough and in the right area for a connection.

Ash silently cursed his luck. If only the man's file hadn't been classified. Then he'd know for certain instead of having to do all this guesswork.

"Unfortunately, it looks like someone at the UR does know. So, I was unfortunately nominated to tell you all the story of a modern Kanto hero." Pryce yawned and stretched his arms over his head. "Let's get this over with."

May snorted. "Well, he seems like such a peach."

She didn't know the half of it.

Pryce snapped his fingers.

The curtain was thrown off the statue.

And a gasp escaped the crowd.

Up on stage, a marble statue of Giovanni stood before them in all its glory. Rather than an immaculate and imposing image, however, it was anything but. The statue was noticeably chipped and destroyed, with half the man's face missing. Graffiti covered every surface of the statue in vulgar imagery and garish neon orange. The most glaring offense was the word 'LIAR' painted across his chest in big, bold letters.

Pryce turned and smiled wryly. "Oh my. Whoever could have done that?"

Ash could hazard a guess.

Chuckling dryly, Pryce turned back to the crowd. Behind him, the organizers and stage hands were frantically trying to remove the statue as fast as possible. Even as the crowd whispered amongst themselves, the old fossil up on stage pressed on.

"Now, where was I? Ah, yes. Kanto's modern hero." He said. "Giovanni Sakki Cassano. The self-proclaimed strongest trainer in the world; Kanto's Bloody Baron; and, of course, the man with the worst fashion sense in the world. Don't believe me? Ask him why he still wears that horrible orange suit."

"I'm beginning to think there's tension between those two." May whispered.

Ash snorted and nodded in agreement.

"He was your average teenage boy most of his life. Full hormones and impotent rage, more than a few haircuts he regrets, and enough mommy issues to drive a therapist to drink. He was destined to be your run-of-the-mill Pokemon Trainer. The good old days." Pryce chuckled, and the crowd laughed with him. "Then, the Great War happened."

The crowd stood in silence.

"I'm sure I don't need to explain the tragedy to you all. Johto's rebellion and Kanto's refusal to back down kicked off a conflict unlike we'd seen before. Like any good, patriotic Kantonian, Giovanni enlisted to serve his Region." Pryce sighed. "And he was rewarded the same way everyone else dumb enough to fall for it was: by being tossed into the meat grinder."

May shifted uncomfortably next to him.

"The boy got his start as a trench raider along the Johto border. Some would call it bravery, others stupidity that made him choose that. Regardless, he was an effective tool for Kanto. He first gained prominence when he captured a Johtonian general in the second year of the war."

"But that's not where he made his name. Oh, no. That came in the final year of that dreadful conflict." Pryce drawled, twirling his cane in his hands. "Kanto's little alliance had all been crushed under Unova's boot. Their fleets sunk, their army on the verge of mutiny, and a starving populace. Nothing more than stubborn pride kept them from surrendering."

Ash remembered his history lessons. Not much about the war was taught in Kanto schools. It was a period of great shame for the Region, and those alive didn't want to relive everything they went through. To be frank, he only learned more about it since joining Interpol.

Kanto didn't like to admit how crushing its defeat had been. Least of all that Johto had long since surpassed them as a Region.

"Of course, good old Gio couldn't just get with the program and give up like his fellows. No, he still had some fight left in him. He wasn't about to let Johto and Kalos' armies just march into Kanto, not when his home was the first city they'd reach."

"So, the boy crafted a devious plan. While the remnants of Kanto's border defenses retreated inland with their invaders hot on their heels, he climbed to the summit of Mount Silver. And just when they thought victory was at hand… he collapsed the mountain range on them, burying them under an avalanche of stone and snow."

Pryce cleared his throat. "Kanto dubbed him a hero after that, and the papers called him the Bloody Baron. He was a symbol of Kanto's strength, held up as an example of what all good Kantonians should aspire to be." He snorted. "Two weeks later, Kanto gave their unconditional surrender to Unova's alliance."

It didn't take a genius to understand the crowd wasn't as excited about this lesson. They'd come to hear tales of bravery and generosity, not the doom and gloom of wartime. Tourists from Kanto seemed especially unhappy, grumbling among themselves and glaring at Pryce.

The man in question almost seemed to be taunting them with his smile.

"But as some of you may know, little Gio's story doesn't end there. No, like an alley cat dragged out of the rain, he just refused to fade away." Pryce droned on. "After the war, he led the reconstruction efforts. Built a company that revolutionized industry, played a pivotal role in rebuilding Kanto's economy, and became a Gym Leader to inspire the young. A success story if ever there was one."

Pryce walked around the stage, dragging the mic behind him. The attendants didn't seem happy, but no one was going to stop him now.

"Thirteen years ago, Kanto suffered devastating changes in its climate. Thunderstorms that never ended, blizzards in the middle of summer, and infernos that burned entire communities to the ground." He said. "It was a disaster that could destroy the region."

Ash remembered. He'd been about six or seven at the time, but no one could forget how terrified people were that their homes would be next. As a kid, he'd been more concerned about seeing Pokemon and playing with toys, but even he had been scared when he heard what was behind it all.

"Kanto's Legendary Birds were on a rampage. No one knows what caused it, and most were too concerned about evacuating to fight back. All anyone knew was that they were converging on Viridian City." Pryce lifted his cane to point at the statue being carried off stage. "And he rode out alone to face them."

Ash hummed in recollection. While recent events had tarnished his opinion of the man, he couldn't deny he still respected Giovanni. Every Kantonian child heard the story of how the great Giovanni took on the Legendary Birds and won. No matter who you were, Giovanni was everyone's favorite Gym Leader.

The others were all just fighting for a distant second place.

"No one knows quite what happened when he fought them. All anyone remembers were horrible sounds of battle coming from Viridian Forest, darkened skies, and terrible quakes that shook the city for days," Pryce drawled. "But in the end, he drove them off and returned a hero. And all of Kanto joined together to proclaim him the strongest trainer in the world."

May nudged him with her elbow. "That's pretty impressive. I knew he was strong, but not like this. I saw him battle my dad for a charity event once, you know." She whispered. "He wiped the floor with my dad. His Persian took all six of my dad's team out. It was unbelievable."

Ash didn't doubt it. Norman was the strongest Gym Leader in Hoenn, but Giovanni was on another level. Most people thought he deserved to be a Champion with his strength. Before this all happened, Ash would have said the same.

His old Giovanni action figures were probably still in his room somewhere.

"Well, I do believe that's enough out of me. Arceus knows I've gone on long enough. But I think I can speak for all of us when I say I'd love to see dear Giovanni take on reigning Monarch Leon in the upcoming World Coronation Series. Put the questions to bed about who the strongest really is." Pryce tapped his cane on the ground. "I, for one, know who I'll be rooting for."

Once the man left the stage, the crowd's chatter picked up again. Everyone had something to say about the presentation he just sat through. Whether it was admiration for Giovanni's strength and heroics, disdain for Pryce's disparaging tone towards Kanto, or even speculation on how strong Giovanni really was, everyone had something to say.

Ash didn't. Whatever Giovanni may have done in the past, he was still a criminal. A monster. The head of Team Rocket and responsible for all their crimes. All this did was cement his distrust of Pryce. That man had far too much joy in mocking Giovanni when he could.

He was connected. Ash didn't know how, but his gut told him the two knew each other. Whatever doubts he may have had before were gone now. Interpol was right to put the man under surveillance.

Ash reached down to take May's hand. "Come on."

"What the-" She gasped but followed along. "Where are we going?"

Wherever Pryce was. He couldn't afford to lose the man in the crowd.

"Food. I'm hungry. Why don't you let me treat you to something nice?" He said instead.

She chuckled. "Who knew there was a charmer under that mask? Alright, Spartan. Lead the way!"

Max groaned. "Ugh, I feel so full."

"I know what you mean. It's like I'm gonna explode any second now." Rosa held her stomach, but the smile she wore was anything but regretful. "Still totally worth it."

Kirlia groaned, bobbing her head in agreement.

Max glanced at his partner. "You okay? Wanna get in your ball until you feel better?"

Rather than answer, her Pokeball telekinetically lifted off his belt. She bopped the button and was sucked inside. He snatched it out of the air just before it fell to the ground, rolling his eyes and clipping it back onto his belt.

She could be so dramatic sometimes.

"I wish I could do that." Rosa complained. "Just retreat into my own little world where I can't feel any pain. That's the dream."

He could see the appeal. Despite what some conspiracy theorists believed, Pokeballs were completely safe for Pokemon. They didn't just create the perfect environment for them to live in. They also kept them from aging, prevented the spread of deadly diseases or wounds, and completely numbed all pain while inside. Even the most potent of toxins could be treated given enough time inside one.

"You know, you wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't eat so much." He pointed out.

"Don't you use your logic on me!" She groaned. "I couldn't help myself! What were those puff pastries called? The ones with the cream and that glaze on top?"

He blinked. "The carbayones?"

"YES! Gods, they were so good!" She moaned just remembering the taste. "I can still taste them even now."

Max chuckled. "Fair enough. I just wish I had the recipe for their gazpacho. I could eat that all day."

She scrunched up her nose in disgust. "I still don't know how you could eat that stuff."

"You didn't even try it. How would you know how it tastes?"

"Max… they shoved a bunch of veggies in a blender and stuck it in the fridge for a couple hours, then charged you through the nose for it." She said, "They sold you a smoothie with a fancy name and some bread sticks. You got scammed."

"Can it really be called a scam if I enjoyed it?"

"That depends. How much are you going to regret it once you come down from your food high?"

"Better than you when you get hit by a sugar crash."

They held each other's gaze for a moment, sparks flying between their eyes. Neither of them was willing to back down. They waged a silent war of attrition and judgment, fueled by pettiness and differing opinions on food.

Max snorted. Rosa chuckled. Soon, they were both laughing together at the absurdity of it all. Even if they hadn't known each other that long, they got along surprisingly well. It was easy to tell when they were joking, and when they were serious.

He wondered why.

Rosa's Xtransceiver dinged with an alert. She blinked and glanced down at it, raising it up to see what the alert was. After a moment, her face split into a massive smile and she pumped her fist in the air.

"Aww, heck yeah!" She cheered, drawing confused stares from those around them. "This is gonna be amazing!"

"What's got you so excited?" He asked.

"I just found out who the opponent for my match tomorrow is gonna be!" Rosa said. "Go ahead, guess!"

Considering how excited she was? It could only have been one person. "Spartan?"

"Yep!" She confirmed. "We've got a match scheduled for tomorrow once he's had enough time to rest from his Contest today."

"I guess that makes sense." Max said. "It'd be pretty bad if you force people to battle with a weakened team."

She scoffed. "Bah! Let him get all the rest he wants. Tomorrow's the day I knock him out of the tournament. He had a good run, but it's about time he saw what a real Trainer is capable of!"

"It's always refreshing to see young Trainers so confident in themselves." A harsh voice cut through the air.

Rosa froze, her fist suspended in the air.

Max blinked and turned to see one of Johto's Gym Leaders, Pryce, standing behind them. His scarf blew in the gentle breeze of the day, and he balanced himself atop his old wooden cane.

He smiled and stuck his hand out. "Pryce! It's good to see you again!"

Pryce chuckled, smiling brightly as he returned Max's handshake. "You too, Max. How's your father doing?"

"He's doing good, sir. He really appreciated that gift you sent him for his birthday last year." Max said. "The Togepi is doing really well under his care. He says it's close to evolving and should be good enough for Gym battles soon."

"I'm glad to hear it. If anyone could raise it right, he'd be the one." Pryce said. "I'm hosting an art gallery in a couple of months. Ice sculptures mainly, but the proceeds will go to Pokemon preservation efforts. If you could mention it to your dad?"

He nodded vigorously. "Of course! I'm sure he'd love to go."

"Excellent. Now, would you care to introduce me to your friend, my boy?" He gestured to his side.

Shoot. He'd completely forgotten about that. He turned to Rosa, but paused before he could say anything. She still hadn't moved from her spot, as motionless as a statue. He couldn't even be sure she was still breathing. When he reached out to touch her, she suddenly gasped and flinched away.

"Hey, are you alright?" He asked. "You look a little pale."

Rosa gulped and licked her lips. "I-I'm fine. Just a little hot, you know?" She mumbled, her voice strangely husky.

Max frowned. She was sweating now that he looked closer. Her eyes seemed smaller, too. "It's all these clothes you're wearing. You should really take some of them off."

Who wore two sweaters and a scarf in the middle of summer? It just didn't make any sense. None of it did.

She shook her head, her buns bouncing as she did. "I'm fine. Don't worry so much, four-eyes." She straightened her back and held her hand out. "Hello there, Mr. Pryce. I'm Rosa."

The elderly Gym Leader shook her hand. Despite her prior words, she seemed to shiver at his touch. It almost looked like Pryce's smile grew, but Max's eyes must have been playing tricks on him.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, my girl." He drawled. "So, you're planning to beat that Spartan fellow tomorrow?"

She nodded. "Yes, sir. I won't let anything stop me."

"Glad to hear it." Pryce tapped his cane against the ground twice. "A word of advice? Don't get distracted by that Latias of his. It's nothing special."

"It's a Legend, though." Max pointed out.

Pryce jabbed Max in the chest with his cane. "And this is made of mahogany. That doesn't make it special." He snorted. "If you approach an enemy believing they're unbeatable, then you've already lost. I would hope whoever trained dear Rosa would have taught her that."

She flinched. "O-of course. Don't worry! Nothing'll get in my way! You can count on it!"

Pryce chuckled. "Glad to hear it." He placed a hand on her shoulder, leaning down and whispering in her ear. She looked like a deer caught in the headlights, but slowly nodded. He pulled back and nodded. "Well, it's about time I head off. Enjoy the rest of your day, kids."

Rosa kept silent.

Max frowned and narrowed his eyes, watching Pryce go. "Yeah… you too."

He took a few steps forward. "Oh, and Rosa? I'll be watching your match tomorrow. I look forward to seeing your victory."

Max watched the man walk into the crowd. People flowed around him like water, unconsciously moving out of his way. Soon enough, he'd vanished from sight completely. Before he could figure out how he did it or why Rosa seemed so strange, something else drew his attention.

"Max! What are you doing here?"

His heart sank. He slowly turned around, as if was about to face a firing squad. Rather than staring down the barrel of a gun, however, his sister's sapphire eyes flared daggers into his own. He audibly gulped.

Spartan was at her side, but Max didn't have the time to think about that right now!

"H-hey, May. I was just um… uh…."

Dang it, brain! Don't fail him now!

"He's on a date." Spartan's synthetic voice cut through his stammering.

In that moment, Max swore a blood oath of vengeance against this man.

May gasped and clapped her hands together. "A date!?"

Max and Rosa locked eyes. Their cheeks flushed red, and they leaped away from each other. She refused to look at him, and he coughed into his hand.

"It's not a date!" Max all but shouted.

"W-we were just getting some food. Paldean. As friends, you know?"

May's grin only turned more predatory. "Mhm. Sure. Just a couple of buds grabbing a bite to eat. I see how it is." She ruffled his hair faster than he could pull away. "I'll forgive you for lying about training. I can see you had something more important on your mind."

What he wouldn't give for a meteor to strike him right about now….

Rosa moved past them both and jabbed Spartan in the chest with her finger. Up until then, he'd been staring past them into the crowd. Now, he was focused on the Unovan Trainer.

"Is something wrong?" He asked.

"Have you seen the roster for tomorrow's battles?" She demanded.

Spartan stared emotionlessly at her from behind his mask, "No."

"Guess I get to break the news to you, then. We're facing each other tomorrow." She narrowed her eyes and clenched her fist. "I'm going to trounce you."

"I see."

Rosa scowled. "You don't believe me. Well, I don't care! You better go all out against me, you hear? I'll make you regret it if you hold back!"

"She's intense." May whispered into his ear. "I had a feeling you'd take after dad in that department."

Okay, no. He was not doing this!

"What are you and Spartan doing together?" He frantically asked. Anything to divert the conversation. "Isn't it weird for a judge and a contestant to be seen together?"

May rolled her eyes. "He helped me find Glaceon when she chased after his Pikachu. I figured I'd pay him back by showing him around the festival for a little bit." She flicked him on the forehead. "Besides, I had an extra ticket and needed someone to go with me since you bailed on me."

Max frowned, staring at Spartan again. Glaceon had chased his Pikachu? That was odd. She didn't normally chase down random Pokemon for no reason. The only one she ever really did that with before was Ash's Pikachu, so why would she do it with Spartan's?

Why….

"Anyway, I don't want to interrupt the not-date the two of you are having." May teased. "I think Spartan and I should get going. Let you two have some fun."

He thanked every god watching that he'd returned Kirlia before May showed up. If he hadn't, he already knew the sheer suffering they'd put him through would be unimaginable.

"Ooh, I'm too fired up to just relax now!" Rosa snatched his hand and dragged him behind her. "Come on, Max! You and I have some training to do!"

He yelped. "But I-"

"No buts! Only train!"

May's laughter echoed in his ears. "Have fun with your girlfriend, Max!"

Sometimes, Max hated his sister.

This was just another one to add to the pile.

Arceus was laughing at him.

Some people liked to call him paranoid, but Ash knew better. There was no way his luck was just naturally this bad. It just couldn't be!

As panic-inducing as May's presence had been, it had been useful. It let him follow Pryce around without arousing too much suspicion. While everyone was looking at them, no one looked beneath the surface. In their eyes, it was just two people having fun at an interregional festival.

Anyone who took one look at May would know she wasn't a spy. She didn't care about how many exits were in a building or check her surroundings. Her body language was too open, and she wore her emotions on her sleeve. Most would just discard her as any other civilian and move on.

Something had tipped Pryce off, though. Ash didn't know what, but one moment the man acted like he didn't know they were following them, then the next he acted like he was trying to shake a tail. He'd lost them in the crowd, but Ash might have been able to find him again… if it weren't for the woman at his side.

He'd already messaged Looker to let him know. Hopefully, he or some other agent would find Pryce and continue the surveillance. There was no chance Ash could find him now.

The one mercy of the day was that Max hadn't stuck around. He didn't want to think of how stressful it'd have been if he were with them as well. He'd have to go easy on Rosa tomorrow as a way of saying thanks.

At the moment, he was leaning over the railing and looking out at the ocean. The waves crashing against the docks accentuated the laughter of the children and the chatter of the adults. It was… reassuring. For all the stress and horror he'd seen since joining Interpol, this was proof that their work mattered.

If people could live carefree lives and enjoy their happiness? Then all the pain was worth it.

"You know, most people come to festivals to have fun."

He glanced behind him to look at May. She still had the lilac tucked behind her ear from earlier, and two candied apples in her hands.

"I was wondering where you went," He said. "And I am having fun."

May grinned. "Could have fooled me. You really pull off the silent, broody persona well." She leaned against the railing with him and extended an apple towards him. "Want one?"

He looked back out over the ocean. "I can't."

"What, you not have a mouth or something? Afraid to take off your mask?" She teased.

Thankfully, Ash had spent the entire afternoon coming up with the perfect defense for just that sort of question.

"I have severe third-degree burns all over my face."

Her eyes widened, and a soft gasp escaped her. "Oh! I-I'm so sorry." She lowered her candied apple. "Is it… alright if I ask how it happened?"

"When I was younger, I took in a Fire type. Their former Trainer had abused them to make them stronger. Constantly doing the bare minimum to tend to their wounds and pushing them harder than the others. All so they could take advantage of their Blaze."

She scowled. "That's despicable. I can't believe there are Trainers willing to hurt their Pokemon like that just to get an advantage in a battle."

"Lots of Trainers don't care about anything but winning. Some will even intentionally poison or burn their Pokemon just to take advantage of a useful ability." Ash shrugged. "And the League is split on how to handle it."

From a practical point of view, Ash could see the advantages. If your Pokemon could grow stronger from those afflictions or being hurt prior to the battle, then there was no reason not to if they agreed to it. The issue was some Trainers didn't care about what their Pokemon wanted or the pain they went through.

Interpol trained him to prioritize victory at any cost, but if that cost didn't need to be paid? Then there was no reason to be so heartless.

"Anyway, eventually they were abandoned. Tied to a signpost on the side of the road and told to wait. Despite everything, they were loyal enough to believe in their Trainer's word. By the time I found them, they'd nearly died from standing in the rain."

"That's horrible." May mumbled.

It was more common than she thought. The sad reality was he had taken in more than one Fire type with the same story. All of them were abused and abandoned by Trainers who either didn't know how or didn't want to raise them right. Any Pokemon could go through it… but Fire types seemed to go through it more than most.

He felt dirty using their stories like this, but it needed to be done. The best lies were mixed with the truth. This was no different.

"I did my best to raise them. Help them heal and grow. For a while, everything was going well. They trusted me, they were getting stronger, and I couldn't have been prouder of them." He sighed and held his head in his hands. "But they couldn't control their Blaze. One day, it got bad. They nearly hospitalized their opponent from how uncontrollable they were."

"I tried to help them. Calm them down and get their fire under control. It… didn't work." He continued. "After I woke up in the hospital, I realized I couldn't give them what they needed. So, I left them with someone who could. And I've been wearing the mask ever since."

"Do you know what happened to them after you left?" May softly asked.

"I still keep in touch when I can. They're doing well. Much happier now that they aren't battling anymore."

It should have concerned Ash that he could lie this easily to an old friend… but it didn't. It just seemed natural.

"I'm so sorry." She bowed her head. "Are you worried about what people will think if they see your face?"

Yes, but not for the reasons she believed.

"People would be disgusted. They either wouldn't want to look at me or wouldn't be able to stop staring." He shrugged. "It's better for everyone if I keep the mask on. And that I eat in private when I can."

"Then why did you say you wanted to grab something to eat?" She asked.

Because he needed a way to convince May to tag along with him while he tailed Pryce.

"I am hungry. I was planning to let you eat, then take my leftovers back to my room." He shrugged. "It seemed like the polite thing to do after you took me to that exhibition."

She socked him in the shoulder. "That was a gift for your help earlier, you dunce." She said, "You can't repay me for my repayment. That's like… way too much repayment! You don't want to start an endless cycle or something, do you?"

He rolled his eyes. Not that she could see. "Fair enough. No food, then?"

"Nope." She popped the P. "Don't worry. These candied apples should be enough for me."

That was a relief. He didn't think he could sit through an entire meal with May without slipping up. Something about her always made his tongue loose.

"Huh. Well, would you look at that?"

Ash blinked and followed May's gaze. A pair of Luvdisc breached the surface of the water and looked up at them. May hummed and tossed them her spare candied apple to enjoy. While one caught it in their mouth, the other chirped in thanks before they both dived back below the water.

"You know, Luvdisc have some pretty fun folklore here in Hoenn." She said, "They say that any couple who sees one is destined to have eternal love. Some people even go out of their way to catch one as a gift for their partner."

Ash looked away. "Sounds like an interesting tradition."

She shrugged. "I never put much stock in it myself." She admitted. "Relationships take a lot of work. It's not as simple as seeing a single Pokemon and making all the problems go away. If you love someone, you need to work for it."

He chuckled. "That's a mature way of looking at it."

"It's the only way that works." She laughed. "Not that I can't appreciate romantic gestures and fairy tales, mind you. I love them as much as anyone else. But let's just say that if that worked? My life would be a lot different."

It was best Ash not dwell on that. They'd run into Luvdisc many times during their journey together. Once, they'd gone swimming with a school of them. Digging into what that implied wouldn't do either of them any good.

Not now.

The two stood in silence for a moment. Neither of them knew what to say. What could they do? As far as May was concerned, she hardly knew him beyond what little he'd told her. As for Ash? Every time he spoke, he risked tipping her off about who he was.

A gasp from his side drew his attention back to her. "Oh no! Where did it go?"

Ash frowned. "What happened?"

"I lost something!" She dropped her candied apple to the ground, frantically looking for whatever it was she lost.

He put a hand on her shoulder. "Calm down. Tell me what it is, and I can help you find it."

She sighed. "It's a gift from an old friend. Half of a ribbon that we split before parting ways." She told him. "I just don't know where it could have gone."

Of course… it had to be that. The last gift either of them had given each other. A tangible reminder of their journey together and all they'd been through. Why did it have to be that?

"It must have fallen out of your pocket. No one would steal half of a ribbon." They were worthless unless they were whole, after all. "As long as no one threw it out, we should be able to find it. Where did you last have it?

"I could have sworn I had it when I went to get the snacks."

"Then let's check there."

With how focused everyone was on having fun, he doubted anyone would go out of their way to pick up random bits of trash they saw on the ground. The cleaners especially wouldn't come out unless it was a big mess.

May grumbled, but followed his lead. While he could have worried about backtracking everywhere they went today, Occam's Razor said that the simplest solution was often the correct one. If she last had it at the candy apple cart, then chances were it was somewhere over there.

If not? They'd just have to retrace their steps.

Sure enough, it was exactly where he thought it would be.

The vendor nodded and reached beneath the cart, pulling out the half ribbon. "Yeah, it fell out of the lass' pocket when she was walking away. Damn near threw it out before I realized it was a Contest ribbon."

May gingerly took it from the man, rubbing the back of her head. "Thank you… I don't know what I'd have done if I lost this."

"No problem." They shrugged. "Not sure why you keep that thing, though. It's worthless cut in half. I'm sure if you brought it to some officials, they could issue a replacement."

A bitter smile worked its way across her face. "It's alright. This one is… special. I can't replace it."

As they walked away, May glanced back up at him. "Thank you, Spartan. You have no idea how much this thing means to me."

He refused to look at her. "You don't need to thank me- "

"No, I do." She stressed, poking him in the chest. "This ribbon is all I have to remember an old friend. If I lost it? All I'd have are my memories."

And memory was a fickle thing. More than anyone knew until it was too late.

"I see. Well, I'm sure he appreciates knowing you value it so much." Ash said. "I'm sure that wherever he is, he's thinking of you, too."

She laughed sadly. "Yeah… I hope so." She grabbed him by the wrist. "Come on. We may not be able to grab lunch, but there's still plenty we can do! Now I've gotta pay you back twice as much for all your help!"

He didn't protest. He knew it was pointless by now. Instead, he let her drag him behind her and snaked his hand into one pocket of his trench coat. Inside, he traced his fingers over the other half of the ribbon he'd split with May.

It was one of the few things from his old life he'd been able to keep. A constant reminder of all he'd lost… and everything he had to fight for.

"Thanks for walking me back to my hotel room."

Ash glanced back at May. The sun had already set a while ago; the moon having long since replaced it. After they'd found her half of the ribbon, they'd spent the rest of the day enjoying the festival. Watching exotic performances, listening to music, and even finding a few fun games to try out.

It was a waste of time. Interpol and Looker would have wanted him to focus on finding Pryce. Anabel would have told him to get some rest back in his room. Petrovic… well, he'd probably have just mocked him for failing or not saying no to May.

It didn't matter. It was… nice. Even if it was only for a few hours, just being able to relax and pretend things were normal helped. No international crime syndicates to stop, no life or death struggles, and no potential rampaging Legends. Just an afternoon spent with an old friend.

You never knew what you'd wind up missing until it was gone.

"It was no problem." He told May. "Thank you for spending the day with me. It was more fun than I thought it would be."

"Of course it was. You had me with you." She chuckled and unlocked her door. "I had fun too. I'd say we should do this again, but I'm still a judge for now. We should probably wait before hanging out again."

That wasn't going to happen.

"That's fine." He told her. "I should let you go. I still need to get back to my hotel."

"Alright. Good luck with your match tomorrow. I'll be watching." With one final wink, she stepped into her room and shut the door behind her.

Once the door clicked shut, Ash stuffed his hands in the pockets of his trench coat and started walking back down the hall towards the elevator. Just as he turned the corner, he found Drew leaning against the wall with his arms cross.

"Have fun today?" The Coordinator asked.

So, Drew had been following them? That was concerning, but nothing to really worry about. Not tonight, at least. Ash ignored the greenette and kept walking down the hall. He stepped inside the elevator, but seconds before the door could close, Drew stuck his hand in the door and stepped inside.

Drew stood against the far wall and chuckled. "Man, you pull off the brooding, silent type really well. I didn't think you had it in you… Ash."

Ash froze. His heart hammered in his lungs. His instincts were screaming at him to prepare to fight. Instead, he slowly turned to look at Drew. Rather than hostile or arrogant, however, a comforting smile was on the Coordinators face.

"Good. Now you're listening." His smile was confident but tense. He was more than prepared to fight if it came down to it. "I think it's time you and I had a little talk, Ash."

Top Bottom