• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon A Little After Hours

RJR Basimilus

Arceus is nice I suppose...
Partners
  1. arceus-fighting
  2. lurantis
  3. arceus-poison
  4. haxorus
Awakening from a junk food haze brought on by post-Butler enlightenment, I found that I had somehow written one of those one shots that's in vogue these days.
It doesn't really mean anything and it doesn't particularly say anything. At heart, it's a little narrative about things that I don't explain well in the context of things I don't understand. It's kind of funny I guess.

Anyway, it sucks, but here it is.

---- A Little After Hours -------

Every time I passed someone on the street, I reached into my pocket, feeling the pink slip as if it suddenly it would disappear. I couldn’t tell what the reminder of my former job meant to me, nor what it would mean to a pickpocket. But somehow the feeling remained that the little sheet of paper with my full name meant something, that the empty pleasantries thanking me for years of work were a good luck charm for an uncertain future.

I realized that I was not really wandering aimlessly, I was in front of the deli. Everyday after work I spent two dollars and forty seven cents plus seven cents sales tax on a pickle and egg sandwich. It had taken me five years to learn the tax on my meal, but only three days for the pickles and the eggs to entrench themselves in the back of my head like a delicious symbiotic worm. I loved it’s taste and simplicity, it loved my money.

There was even a pattern in the preparation. On Wednesdays, Mondays, and Fridays, Peter would make the sandwich, his gnarled hands betraying years worth of culinary grit, but none of the associated age. I learned to appreciate the unwavering elegance, another constant in the process that I followed to the letter. The singular spice in my life came from Tuesdays and Thursdays. Busy with a particular regular who changed his order so often that I had long since learned to block the cadence of his voice from my mind, the task of my sandwich fell to his assistant, a perpetually drowsy Chesnaught named Walt. Walt’s slow, deliberate movements were maddening. There was no reason to his movement. Would the pickles come first, or the egg? Peter often joked about my inane attention to meaningless things as he made my sandwich pickles first, then egg, never changing. Routine was my savior. People would often be astounded by the rote and form by which I conducted myself. Even I could recognize how ridiculous I was with my oddities. But it was a vice I accepted because without it, I would have nothing.

Walt looked at me strangely as I sat down, his eyes flickering to the clock on the wall. I couldn’t bring myself to look at the time.

“The usual, right?” Peter called from the other end of the counter. I nodded hurriedly, fearing the question that would follow.

But it never came. Snapping out of my panic, I looked down at my sandwich. Bread, egg, pickles, bread. I felt nothing for a moment, then a small, nearly intangible fear washed over me.

“Thanks,” I said, trying to sound casual. The wait was eating away at me, my imagination going wild. I finally decided to answer the unsaid question myself. “I’m a bit early today.”

“I guess you are,” Peter replied nonchalantly. He stared at a freshly brewed decanter of coffee as he gathered a small pile of jam packets.

I ate my sandwich, the savory taste of the pickles mixing with a growing unease. Wasn’t he going to comment on how strange I was? I had broken the routine, I was committing a violation of the known and accepted. I looked over to see Walt making a worried expression. I stared back at the Chesnaught until he turned away to carry off a stack of plates.

I sat in silence for the rest of my meal.

[]

I’ve never had a pokemon in my life. There was an uncomfortable uncertainty in the relationship that I had feared since my mother’s Finneon bit my finger. What did pokemon do for people? What was the difference? The bread was the same. The pickles were the same. The egg was the same. The only thing that was different was me. I ate when I shouldn’t have, and now I walked a road I would never walk. People passed. I clutched the pink slip, thinking of pickles.

“Hey mister!” a voice called from my left. I looked over to see a young man standing under an umbrella in the sun. He leaned on a small kiosk filled with brochures for far off places that I had only heard of in passing, places that had never interested me that might as well not exist at all. My insular world was as large as the distance from my house to my work. Some days I hated it with a passion, the sameness, the simplicity. But I could never leave it, pickles never let you down. Until they did that is.

“Hi-” I said uncertainty as I faced him, “How are you?”

“Great, thanks,” he said with a peculiar aplomb. “Are you interested in seeing some of our deals? We have the lowest rates on this side of the seaboard!”

I could never say no. It was a job, a profession. He didn’t truly care about whether or not I was interested, but that was a fact I could never admit to myself.

“Sure, what do you have?” I looked over them, my eyes glazing over at the multitudes of names and places. I realized that I desperately wanted to travel. I looked up, my eyes tracing the sky. For so long I hadn’t let myself consider the possibility because it would be a litany of unknowns. The thought of filling out a request for time off terrified me, actually handing it in was a nightmare in and of itself. So I forgot about it. Over and over again, believing in my routine.

“What do you think?” the man said hopefully.

“Some of these places look interesting,” I said truthfully, feeling a strange giddiness. “I’ll look into it.”

“Alright! Do you want to spin the wheel before you go for a prize?” I looked up, seeing for the first time a large partitioned wheel. In the back of my mind, the allure of a free t-shirt was just funny enough to make me smile. I nodded to him, and grasped the edge of the wheel, pulling it downwards with the most force I had used in years.

I watched the spinning, thinking that I would be at the diner about now, eating the sandwich I had eaten half an hour ago. The unknown scared me, but now I felt almost a little excited. Slowly the wheel stopped, landing on a tiny purple spot that I imagined would win me a lifetime supply of pickles and eggs. The man looked at the wheel and suddenly became very excited.

“Oh congratulations! You won the special prize.” He walked around the back of the kiosk, rooting around in it for a moment before returning to me and extending his hand.

I didn’t recognize the object at first. Small and round, it was completely alien to the world I had known.

“A pokemon?” I asked, looking at him slightly panicked. “Can you really give this to me?”

“Don’t be shy, take it,” the man goaded, gesturing with his other hand. “I’ll be frank with you, the vast majority of people book on the internet these days, so we had to step up our game. It’s a really exotic pokemon, I think you’ll enjoy it.”

“Right,” I said slowly. I thought of a Finneon’s teeth and a Chesnaught’s sandwich technique. The fear felt silly yet achingly real, a reminder of my small world. Fighting the imagination of a forlorn future, I reached out and grabbed the pokeball.

“Thanks,” I said, putting it in my pocket. I felt the pink slip again and my hand froze, caught between the past and the future. An uncanny heat raced across my face, a maddening prickly itch covering my chest and arms. I walked away as fast as I could.

[]

I sat in front of my television. The screen was dark, my hand opening and closing around the objects in my pocket, unsure of which one to pull out first. My schedule was in ruins at this point, when I arrived home, I would watch my favorite show. But the figures on the screen were foreign and happy in a way I could not comprehend; I was home early, the light streaming through the window a brighter yellow than I had ever seen.

Eventually I pulled out the pink slip. It had never left my pocket once during the day. Again and again, I had been afraid that it would. But I realized that as I walked home, the urge to grasp it had faded. Reaching into my pocket, I had found myself grabbing the pokeball repeatedly. I was scared of it, but it was mine, and in that I could not let it go. I let the piece of paper fall to the cushion, pulling out the pokeball. Turning it over and over again in my hands, I felt a chill. The pokeball fell to the cushion like the slip. I couldn’t open it yet.

I watched a show I had never seen before about a man searching for ghosts, only to run screaming when a brick flew through the air. It was strange, but I smiled.

The light was fading when I looked at the pokeball again. It was still there unmoving, and I felt relieved. I stared at it for a moment. Then another. In an instant, I suppressed the sinking feeling in my chest and grabbed the pokeball, pressing the button on the front. In a flash of light, the pokemon was released.

I sat on my couch, feeling my breath. A single eye attached to a colorful wheel with a hanging grimy anchor stared at me. I wondered to myself what was supposed to happen next.

“What is your name?” I asked.

The anchor blinked, not seeming to have an answer.

I thought for a moment. “Am I supposed to do that?”

It bobbed in the air, it’s expression unchanging. I felt lost and confused.

“Uh- your name is Pickle?” I said, shrugging slightly. For the first time the anchor moved, leaning slightly forward before returning to its position. Did it approve?

“Alright Pickle, nice to meet you,” I said, making a small smile. Pickle seemed to tire of me, it floated idly around the room. I couldn’t think of anything else to say, so I returned to watching the show.

After a while, a small clink distracted me from the television. Pickle was pressed up against a small table, it’s singular eye staring intently at a line of framed pictures I had. It was a litany of the usual stuff, graduation, vacations from my youth, a formal family picture. I watched Pickle curiously as it moved from picture to picture, grinding against the side of the table as it moved. For some reason, I wasn’t annoyed, I simply watched. Once it reached the end, it turned to look at me, the same inscrutable expression on its face.

It occurred to me that maybe Pickle was lost like I was. I didn’t know where Pickle came from, and Pickle didn’t know where I came from. We were strangers, together for no reason, expecting nothing. I had spent my life waiting for sandwiches, but now I was waiting for Pickle.

“Do you want to watch a movie?” I asked, gesturing at the screen. Pickle made no indication, but it floated over to the couch. After a moment, it lowered onto the cushion, crushing the pink slip that I had left there. It looked at me, as if it were waiting.

I was at a loss for words for a moment. “How about a documentary?” I finally said.

There was no response, but strangely I felt like Pickle agreed.

[]

We watched four movies late into the night. Occasionally I glanced over at Pickle; it was engrossed in every movie we watched, looking at me after each one as if to tell me to put on another. I realized with a start I was having fun with someone else, the first in a long time.

“It’s late now so I’m going to sleep. We can uh- we can watch more tomorrow. Do you want that?”

Pickle repeated the gesture that I had come to recognize as a nod. As I slowly walked to the bedroom, I turned to see it hovering in place, still staring at me.

“Do you need to sleep?” I asked. Pickle didn’t respond. “Are you gonna come with me or are you going to stay out here all night?”

After a moment, Pickle floated towards me, and I was sure it was looking at me expectantly. I walked down the hall, Pickle following silently. Sitting on my bed I let the day wash over me. I didn’t know what to do next. I had more than enough saved up that I didn’t need to worry about money for some time. But my life had come apart at the seams, I was out of work, and now I had an anchor that was my own. Pickle was looking at the bed, its eye slowly making its way from the base to the head. A funny thought occurred to me then, maybe Pickle thought about fixtures and routine the same way I did. I smiled to myself.

As I pulled the covers over myself, I looked at Pickle, who was hovering over the bed.

“Don’t you lay down or something?” Pickle looked at me as I said this, and eventually lowered itself onto the base of the bed. I watched it for a moment.

“You’ll get cold like that,” I said. Pushing the covers off, I reached down and gently grabbed Pickle. It’s eye flickered to me, but it didn’t protest. I placed the wheel down on the pillow next to me, pulling the covers back over us.

“That’s better isn’t it?” I said quietly to Pickle. It’s eye looked at me for a moment longer, then closed. I felt a sense of tension leave the air, and found myself marveling at where I was.

Turning out the light, I still felt confused. I still felt uncertain about the direction my life would take. Years of the same thing that had engraved itself upon my mind had been shattered in a single day, and I wasn’t sure if it would turn out to be a good or bad thing. But deep down, I knew above all else that I couldn’t ignore that it had happened, and so here I was. With Pickle.

What came next was a mystery. But in the darkness, among my fear and my doubt, I could feel a little excitement, and even a little hope. What happens happens.

That night I dreamed of ripping apart long sheets of pink paper.

Pronouns
He
Surprisingly, I kind of enjoyed it. How people become creatures of habit. How we fear breaking our own routine. Draw safety within it. Him reaching out to accept change and how he found he enjoyed someone else's company. Even the part where he named it pickle, felt like he was trying to create a link to his old routine.
Unless, you know... I'm just reading to much into it and it actually is about a guy and his sandwich.😜

Last edited:

NebulaDreams

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. luxray
  2. hypno
I stared back at the Chesnaught until he turned away to carry off a stack of plates.

I wonder how long he's had to practise doing that without breaking any of the plates with those claws of his.

“Oh congratulations! You won the special prize.” He walked around the back of the kiosk, rooting around in it for a moment before returning to me and extending his hand.

I didn’t recognize the object at first. Small and round, it was completely alien to the world I had known.

“A pokemon?” I asked, looking at him slightly panicked. “Can you really give this to me?”

This was a little odd, seeing how we have Walt who seemingly has agency of his own, so I wonder how common it is for the layman to give away Pokemon like that. Oh well, it's an anchor, I'm sure nobody else would've had it anyway.

---

Alright, so here we have a story I can relate with quite well; a guy finding solace through the power of friendship and Pokemon! Well, more like a guy down on his luck and also quite a few personal issues.

It was easy for me to get invested in the story, since we're thrust right away into this guy's life and him dealing with being sacked for whatever reason and the sense of loss that comes with that. There was a understated sort of sadness to the narration as the protagonist is reflecting on his routine and his pickles (the last of which makes sense in context, I swear), as well as a gentle sense of humour in the mundane things that happened like with Walt's own routine and the imagery of the anchor Pokemon (what I assume to be Dhelmise).

It did strike me as a bit odd that the protagonist was nameless, and yet all those side characters had names of their own. The main thing I'd argue is that it would've been nice to see more of the story, since it does feel like it stops rather than ends, like there should've been an additional third act to wrap up certain threads. It didn't take long for it to stop as soon as it hit the ground running. But then again, the story was never meant to be that big in scope, and it did a pretty good job at telling something effectively while being subtle. While by the end, the protag hasn't made any significant changes to his life, again, he does find solace through his Pokemon, and through that, he presumably starts to enjoy life and starts to break away from his routine, step by step. The last line implied as much in my opinion. Wow, now all I need is a Manic Pixie Dream Anchor in my life.

As amusing as it was to see a Subway Chesnaught, while it was minor, it also got me thinking what place he had in the world and how people view him working at the same sort of job as humans. I guess for the protagonist, it wasn't that different (the pickles were the same, after all, human or Pokemon), but if seeing Pokemon at jobs like that were commonplace, then obviously, that would bring up a lot of questions about the world. It's a world I'd like to see more of to be honest, and hey, maybe Walt would've felt something similar to what the protagonist did, just being another thankless cog in the corporate machine. Now all he needs to do is bring on a Starter Pokemon uprising and overthrow the human bourgeoisie.

Anyways, thanks for posting this little story, and I'll probably check out your other works at some point as well.

kyeugh

you gotta feel your lines
Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
i read this quite a while ago and meant to review it, but somehow never got around to it... but now seems as good at time as any, right?

i'm going to reread this now so i can give you a better review for it, but some thoughts real quick before i jump in: i remember being very impressed with this. there's not a TON going on here, but you write in such a way that sweeps the reader up in the little things and gets you feeling like the things going on in the main character's head are just as important as the character thinks they are. it brings to mind some classics like the secret life of walter mitty—fairly low stakes, low action pieces that still manage to be legitimately interesting. it takes a skilled writer to put the reader in the head of the viewpoint character like that, and you really do take us there with your cognizant and conscientious delve into the mind of a troubled and unconventional protagonist.

anyway! onward into the story itself:

Every time I passed someone on the street, I reached into my pocket, feeling the pink slip as if it suddenly it would disappear. I couldn’t tell what the reminder of my former job meant to me, nor what it would mean to a pickpocket. But somehow the feeling remained that the little sheet of paper with my full name meant something, that the empty pleasantries thanking me for years of work were a good luck charm for an uncertain future.
coming back to it a second time, i think this is a very strong introduction to the one-shot. we get the impression of the viewpoint character as someone who lives inside his own head and attaches meaning to things where meaning doesn't really exist. here he's doing it with the pink slip, but this is a recurring theme throughout the story, and you impart that right away.
I realized that I was not really wandering aimlessly, I was in front of the deli. Everyday after work I spent two dollars and forty seven cents plus seven cents sales tax on a pickle and egg sandwich. It had taken me five years to learn the tax on my meal, but only three days for the pickles and the eggs to entrench themselves in the back of my head like a delicious symbiotic worm. I loved it’s taste and simplicity, it loved my money.
you want *its here.

on a personal note, i live with my uncle, who's in his mid-sixties and man he acts EXACTLY like this guy. he's so stuck in his ways, not in a bad way but in the sense that like, he's got his favorite places to go and he goes there religiously, on a rigid schedule, and gets the same stuff every time... it's almost a ritualistic way of living. and again, the main character here seems to have so much attention to detail and emotional investment attached to things that others might not notice, such as the preparation of his relatively mundane sandwich. he truly does live in his head, corresponding unerringly to habit, and has put so much thought into these recurring factors in his life. we don't know why he got fired, and we're maybe wondering why at this point, but this description of his unusually meticulous and arguably deleterious behavior starts to give us an idea of maybe how he ended up here. he's tortured by things that don't really matter, and obsessed with adherence to routine. in setting him up from the beginning as this staunchly conventional and established guy, we're sort of led naturally into an expectation for him to change, and when you deliver on that, it's pretty satisfying. even though his world changes in a small way, it feels like a HUGE change due to how small and unchanging his world had been before, and it feels big to us as the reader, too.

i think part of why i enjoyed reading this so much is just that it's so cathartic. like, even the best of us often feel trapped by the unending cycles that make up our lives—wake up, go to school/work, come home, "unwind," go to bed, repeat. your viewpoint character here takes that feeling to the extreme, and then shows him escaping his prison of habit all at once. acquiring a pokémon, which serves simultaneously as a companion and a gateway into a new branch of activities, is something we can never experience as readers, but in a way that feeds into the wish fulfillment that this fic achieves so well. again, nothing of cosmic importance is going on here, but it just feels real and satisfying to read. maybe it's paradoxically the predictability of a character arc well-executed and concluded that makes it satisfying, or maybe it's the feeling of catharsis that i described before. either way, i walked away from this fic with an odd feeling of contentment that i don't think i've ever gotten from another fic before, so way to go! i'll definitely be checking out some of your other stuff.

Top Bottom