• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon A Confession

Full Story

The Walrein

Vicinal Dragging for the Truth
Partners
  1. gulpin
  2. kricketot
  3. bulbasaur
Relationship drama

A Confession

Hey Nida, do you have time for a little chat today? No, it’s not about your performance – you were doing great out there! I know, but the point was to work on practicing your double kicks, and you really are improving with those. They’re called practice matches for a reason.

Come on, don’t be like that! You’re not ‘practicing to lose’, you’re – Hey, look at it this way: even the champs lose half their practice matches. That’s how they know they’re getting the right level of challenge.

Now that’s not… Alright, I admit your recent battles have all been pretty rough. That’s not your fault; it just means we need to find some new people to practice with. You know, Darren’s in town – how would you feel about some matches with Fiona? The seel, remember?

...ah, I think his trainer’s been pretty busy lately. I’m not sure if they’d be- Really? Today, you mean? Oh. Well… look, I know you’re eager for a rematch with Thrasher, but I don’t know if you’re quite ready for that now.

I’m not saying you’re weak, I’m just saying you should get more practice before- Alright, fine! If you really want to, you can fight him. But just look at this video first. See, he knows earthquake now. And- No, you can’t just ‘jump over it’! That’s not how it works.

Look, this isn’t some cheap TV drama. Being angry at someone doesn’t make you fight better. If anything, it’s the opposite! It might sound boring, but what really wins battles is diligent training, careful preparation and good strategy. I hate to say it, but if you rush into a fight with Thrasher now, you’ll lose, and he might not give you another chance after that. Just… give it some more thought, okay?

Wait! Before you go, there’s something I need to tell you. It was why I wanted to talk to you in the first place, actually. This admittedly might not be the best time for this, but I’ve been putting this off for too long, and I feel like if I don’t get this off my chest now, I never will. Nida, I have a confession to make. I… I’ve…

I’ve been training another pokemon!

And it’s very serious between us now.

Yes, Nida, this is the source of all the petty lies, the threadbare excuses, the last-minute changes of plan. The weekend I came down with a nasty case of ‘humanrus’? Really just us working on polishing up her Extreme Speed. Those three days I spent in Saffron ‘helping my dad put together IKEA furniture’? Secretly preparation for a gym match with Sabrina. That time I had to travel to Sinnoh for ‘long-lost Aunt Ethel’s funeral?’ Actually a furious week-long crash workshop developing her routine for a cool contest.

I’m sorry, Nida. I’m so, so sorry.

You have to understand, I never intended for it to go this far. We met during that day you were visiting your family west of Viridian. I was on a walk, preoccupied with my thoughts. Worrying if… If you were going to stay with me, or if you were going to move back into your parents’ den. I was too distracted to notice the alert on my phone about the mankey migration.

They fell upon me like a tidal wave of fur and fury, screeching, scratching, biting. I thought I was done for. But then she came. Strong. Graceful. Brave. With her roar move, she was able to scare most of them away, and then we fought off the last few together. We worked so well with each other that she asked me if I was a trainer. I said yes. She asked if I was looking for a pokemon to train. I told her about you.

She said she didn’t care.

How could I have told her no, Nida? She had just saved my life! Dozens of people die to mankey attacks every year – you have no idea how close I came to death that day. And her eyes, Nida – if you had seen the incredible, soul-deep longing in her eyes when she said she’d been searching for a way out of the wild – a way out of having to kill to eat, a way out of the cold, the rain, the violence… there was no resisting eyes like that.

Of course, I only said that she could stay with me until I found another trainer who’d take her. I just thought I’d give her a few battle tips in the meantime – nothing wrong with that, right? And I did look for other trainers, Nida – I swear I did! But she never seemed to like any of them very much. Meanwhile, we were making more and more progress with her training. She was growing increasingly ambitious, too, and kept begging me to take her to a gym match. I finally acquiesced, intending to tell the gym aide that I was only providing transportation for her, that she didn’t have a trainer. But then the aide said that for administrative purposes, he had to put someone down as her trainer, and I didn’t know it was going to get registered officially-

Huh? What species is she? ...I don’t really think that’s important, Nida. No, she’s not one of the really rare species – it’s not about that, Nida, I would’ve said yes to any pokemon in those circumstances – Look, I really don’t think that’s a helpful comparison to- Okay, okay, she’s an arcanine! Are you happy?...yes, she was a growlithe when we first-

That’s- I- It’s not like that, Nida! I swear, it’s not like that!

Yes, I had to buy the fire stone myself. Yes, they cost about the same as moon stones. No, I didn’t get any kind of special discount on it. But that doesn’t mean I like her more than you! She was just… ready to evolve. As I’ve said before, it’s something that has to wait until the right time, even if feels frustrating in the moment. You know, I think Thrasher might’ve rushed into his evolution – he’s stronger now, sure, but in another year-

You don’t care about fighting Thrasher anymore? But I thought- ...ah. Nida, I- fighting her wouldn’t prove anything. It wouldn’t really be a fair fight, first off, and- wait, let me explain! It’s just – you don’t know any ground-type moves yet, and she’s fully evolved, and- That’s not what I said! I said that evolving too early made you weaker in the long term! Look, even if you won, I wouldn’t stop training her. ...I’m sorry Nida, but we’ve been together for too long now. You have to consider her feelings, too-

Nida, I’m genuinely sorry. I never wanted to hurt you like this when I first started training you. I should’ve told you sooner, I know, but things were already difficult between us then, and-

Nida, please. Please don’t make me choose like this. There are lots of trainers who have two pokemon these days – sometimes more than two, even! We can make it work, I promise! There’ll be no more secrets between the three of us now. You can help each other train, and go to contests together, and- No, wait, come back! I’ll even buy that moonstone for you, I promise!

No, please! I- I still care about you, Nida! Can’t you remember all the good times we had together- winning our first gym badge, that time we stayed up all night in the forest telling each other stories, the- the day we first met- I was too nervous to tell you back then, but- until we met, I had always thought that- that I was never going to get to be a trainer, but you- you believed in me.

Please, Nida, believe in me just one more time! Please…

Forgive me...

Last edited:

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
Hey Walrein! Here for le catnip! I didn’t know what to expect going into this story, especially with the way it was written, but I ended up feeling SO STRONGLY by the end of it, as somebody who’s been cheated on myself. Even though this wasn’t romantic, and I don’t even KNOW WHAT NIDA IS, but I felt absolutely awful for her.

You did really well in appealing to the emotions in this piece, overall. That’s what really stuck out to me here. First i felt like Nida was being kind of impulsive and the narrator was trying their best to speak to them. But then the narrator came out with the confession, and the more they spoke, the more animosity I felt toward them. I feel like they were trying to come from a good place, but the LIES they told, and the way they put so much emphasis on evolving this arcanine and not their first Pokemon, like?? UGH, THE ANGER I FELT WHEN I READ THAT. It was insane. The absolute audacity.

I almost felt bad for this trainer toward the end but I remembered everything they did beforehand, and realized they totally brought it on themselves. Nida had every right to be upset, and honestly, deserves better! Such audacity to be like “You have to consider her feelings” like YOU DIDN’T CONSIDER NIDA’S FEELINGS? Ugh. Some way to treat the Pokemon that allegedly made you a trainer.

I think my only real gripe with this piece was that I don’t know what kind of Pokemon Nida was. I began envisioning a Blitzle or something when the narrator talked about working on “rear kicks” but that could apply to anything tbh. On one hand it almost feels like an extra punch in the gut that I don’t know what Nida is but I know what the Other Pokemon™️ is, but at the same time, I also feel like I’d feel worse for Nida if I knew what she was, especially if she was a Pokemon some might consider “weak.”

All in all, really fantastic short story! I’m so glad I rolled it, and I look forward to reading some of your other work. Until next time <3

The Walrein

Partners
  1. gulpin
  2. kricketot
  3. bulbasaur
Hello Sinderella, thanks for the review. This was kind of an unusual fic for me; I started it with the intention of it being primarily a comedy piece trading on the sillyness of treating training a second Pokemon like cheating in a relationship, but it sort of ended up going in a different direction. I'm happy that it was able to inspire strong feelings, at least, and it was interesting to hear a take on it from someone who's actually been cheated on in real life (although I'm sorry to hear you've been through that).

You did really well in appealing to the emotions in this piece, overall. That’s what really stuck out to me here. First i felt like Nida was being kind of impulsive and the narrator was trying their best to speak to them. But then the narrator came out with the confession, and the more they spoke, the more animosity I felt toward them. I feel like they were trying to come from a good place, but the LIES they told, and the way they put so much emphasis on evolving this arcanine and not their first Pokemon, like?? UGH, THE ANGER I FELT WHEN I READ THAT. It was insane. The absolute audacity.

I intended for it to be sort of ambiguous whether or not the narrator was justified in not having bought a moon stone for Nida yet. The argument about evolving too early being bad in the long run was intended to sound plausible (especially given that this is a stone evolution, and, in the early gen games at least, certain moves were permanently missable for Pokemon who evolved too soon that way). And Nida was supposed to sound somewhat immature, with her impatience for a rematch with Thrasher, demanding to physically fight the Arcanine, and strawmanning the narrator's stance on evolution (I imagined Nida as saying "I thought you believed that evolution makes Pokemon weaker, now" in between the narrator saying "she’s fully evolved, and-" and "That’s not what I said!"). Of course, we are quite literally only hearing one side of the story, here, so there's a lot of room for the narrator to be wrong about Nida not being ready yet, or they could be exaggerating the harm of evolving early.

Such audacity to be like “You have to consider her feelings” like YOU DIDN’T CONSIDER NIDA’S FEELINGS? Ugh. Some way to treat the Pokemon that allegedly made you a trainer.

Yeah, I imagined Nida's response after that line was "Her feelings? What about my feelings?"

I think my only real gripe with this piece was that I don’t know what kind of Pokemon Nida was. I began envisioning a Blitzle or something when the narrator talked about working on “rear kicks” but that could apply to anything tbh. On one hand it almost feels like an extra punch in the gut that I don’t know what Nida is but I know what the Other Pokemon™️ is, but at the same time, I also feel like I’d feel worse for Nida if I knew what she was, especially if she was a Pokemon some might consider “weak.”

I actually intended for it to be clear that Nida was a Nidorina, given that she's named "Nida" and it's implied she evolves via a moon stone. But I can see how the bit about "rear kicks" could've been a red herring - not entirely sure what I was thinking with that, maybe just that it sounded more natural than using an actual move name. I've changed it to "double kicks", which is a move I tend to associate with Nidorina, and also changed the location of Nida's family to be west of Viridian instead of east of Viridian, to suggest that Nida came from Kanto Route 22, which is the first place you can find a Nidoran in Red/Blue.

All in all, really fantastic short story! I’m so glad I rolled it, and I look forward to reading some of your other work. Until next time <3

I'm glad you liked it! Unfortunately none of my other fics are really quite like this one, but if you wanted to check out something similar, the one that comes closest is probably Touch My Tail, Dude, which shares the same structure of having a narrator addressing someone whose words and actions are only implied. See you next Catnip, maybe!

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Sup, Walrein. Hoping to catch up on some of your recent work this week! I figured I'd start with this one, since my impression was it was a bit different than your usual work, and I'm always excited to check out stories where you aren't doing straight humor; I think they're some of your most interesting, although obviously I appreciate the purely humorous stories, too. The stylistic choice of having this story told as one half of a conversation is one I'm fond of, too.

The equation of training a new pokémon on the sly to cheating on a romantic partner is one that I think both has some inherent humor to it but also kind of works if taken seriously. After all, if you're in a world with sapient pokémon, there's often a lot invested in the relationship between a human and their pokémon--a lot of emotion and potentially years of time! Of course, training multiple pokémon is a lot more accepted in the pokéworld than taking multiple romantic partners is in ours, which is something that would make the narrator's behavior here super weird. I'm guessing that's something you recognized, based on the bit at the end where they mention that lots of people are getting second pokémon now. I wonder whether this story's supposed to be set in a different time when it wasn't as common for people to have multiple pokémon for whatever reason. It otherwise reads like a contemporary story.

I think you did a great job conveying both the facts (insofar as we can trust them) of the plot and the personalities of the characters, despite only showing one half of the conversation. In particular I liked the one-sided argument over why the narrator had bought a fire stone for the arcanine but not Nida; at other times it felt like Nida wasn't saying much and was mostly letting the narrator say their piece, but the moon stone bit at the end was more interactive and we got much more of that "negative space" view of Nida and how she's reacting to all this.

This piece overall didn't feel like it knew exactly what tone it wanted to strike. Like I said, you definitely could have played it either straight or humorously, and based on the ending, I think you were going for "straight" (or at least more straight than parody). However, in other places, particularly earlier on, the story felt comedic. For example, when the narrator's referring to their "threadbare excuses" and "petty lies," it's funny, but it's also hard for me to take the story seriously as a heartfelt confession, because that doesn't feel like a genuine way that people tend to talk about their mistakes to me. I think the "Of course, I only said that she could stay with me..." paragraph is where it felt like it switched over from comedy into something more heartfelt (but still humorous). At that point you're done with the direct parodying of cheating tropes and move on to the moon stone argument. You don't want to lose that tongue-in cheek sort of tone, I don't think, but perhaps toning down the narrator's over-the-top speech here and there would heighten the emotional impact of the story a bit.

Dozens of people die to mankey attacks every year
Dozens of them!! (This is making me think of cows being the most dangerous large animal in the UK, for some reason. They do kill a few people a year!)

I was a little confused by your use of dashes in this one; sometimes you go with a longer en(?) dash surrounded by spaces, and sometimes you use what I think is a hyphen with one space after it. I'm not sure how you're choosing whether to go with one or the other, or why you want to distinguish between the different types of usage.

It's always fun to see writers try something a little different, and I enjoyed the results here! Hope you had fun with this experiment as well.

kintsugi

golden scars | pfp by sun
the warmth of summer in the songs you write
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. silvally-grass
  2. lapras
  3. golurk
  4. booper-kintsugi
  5. meloetta-kint-muse
  6. meloetta-kint-dancer
  7. murkrow
  8. yveltal
I meant to drop a review on this back when it first dropped, and I apparently had like 80% of it in the post box already, but I am a silly person. Sorry if it looks a little disjointed as a result.

This is the fun flavor of parody that makes you deeply question the source material. I'm here for it, although I imagine it's a narrow audience and it's definitely a hard line to balance--it's got the same type of "wow this premise is a little absurd if taken at face value" that I find emblematic with a lot of your work, but this time we're laughing at a crumbling relationship where one party is trying to guilt the other into staying after doing atrocious things, instead of like, Birch fighting mecha Groudon or something.

I'm totally here for it, since slapping canon/fanon dissonance in the face is an excellent brand, but it's a rough sell and I see why you'd be expecting mixed results on it. It's more of the "oof, rip" laughter than belly laughs, because at some level this fic also goes really deeply into ideas of trust, hurt, vulnerability, and so forth. It lands for me though, and in particular I like this reframing because, like, it's saying the quiet part that goes unsaid with all the people who cheer for Ash to ditch his shitty and weak pokemon for OG greats like Charizard, Butterfree loses too much--framing it with the terms used more in cheating in a romantic relationship conveys how absurd that kind of mentality is if those pokemon are supposed to be your friends/partners.

Monologue is hard to establish characters in, especially with the central premise that the narrator isn't super trustworthy/has withheld information before, but I think you do a solid job. I like that there isn't really an answer here, how a lot of what they're saying could be real or could be an excuse (is evolution bad for you? was the arcanine really more mature?); it gives a lot of character to the narrator and I don't really think this is the kind of story that needs a hard answer, since fights between characters rarely have one. And based on what the narrator is responding to, their assessment of Nida as a little brash and impulsive does track--but in a scenario where only one side can do the talking, it would make sense that their side of the story is the only one that's heard.

I think the ending also helps lighten things up--there's a violation of trust but Nida's at least free to act on her emotions, and there's consequences that feel satisfying for the narrator's actions.

Interesting new subgenre for you, and I quite liked the result. Thanks for sharing!

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Hey! I skimmed part of this a while back when you posted it and then saw it back on the first page and figured why not properly check it out and drop a review.

I think you do a nice job with the monologue implying what's going on in the opening. We get a sense of Nida feeling weak, wanting this rematch, and the trainer awkwardly trying to dissuade her from a match he knows she's unlikely to win while assuring her that nonono, it's not that she's weak or anything! Undertones that he's kind of more reluctant to lose her battles while trying to make it out to be out of concern for her; after all, no real reason she shouldn't fight losing battles if she really wants to, right? But it's still fairly understandable that he's trying to tell her things like no, being angry doesn't actually help you win.

Yes, Nida, this is the source of all the petty lies, the threadbare excuses, the last-minute changes of plan. The weekend I came down with a nasty case of ‘humanrus’? Really just us working on polishing up her Extreme Speed. Those three days I spent in Saffron ‘helping my dad put together IKEA furniture’? Secretly preparation for a gym match with Sabrina. That time I had to travel to Sinnoh for ‘long-lost Aunt Ethel’s funeral?’ Actually a furious week-long crash workshop developing her routine for a cool contest.
And here's where you take a swerve into some classic Walrein absurdity.

The whole mankey attack image is delightfully silly and lends more absurdity to when the trainer is super melodramatic about how they nearly died. I wouldn't put it past a Walrein fic to have someone actually die to a Mankey attack, but in this context I'm definitely inclined to read it as some over-the-top melodrama on his part.

Of course, I only said that she could stay with me until I found another trainer who’d take her. I just thought I’d give her a few battle tips in the meantime – nothing wrong with that, right? And I did look for other trainers, Nida – I swear I did! But she never seemed to like any of them very much. Meanwhile, we were making more and more progress with her training. She was growing increasingly ambitious, too, and kept begging me to take her to a gym match. I finally acquiesced, intending to tell the gym aide that I was only providing transportation for her, that she didn’t have a trainer. But then the aide said that for administrative purposes, he had to put someone down as her trainer, and I didn’t know it was going to get registered officially-
Enjoy this progression of oh whoops how did this happen I mean I had no control over this

Yes, I had to buy the fire stone myself. Yes, they cost about the same as moon stones. No, I didn’t get any kind of special discount on it. But that doesn’t mean I like her more than you! She was just… ready to evolve. As I’ve said before, it’s something that has to wait until the right time, even if feels frustrating in the moment. You know, I think Thrasher might’ve rushed into his evolution – he’s stronger now, sure, but in another year-
but Growlithe was totally just ready, right

No, please! I- I still care about you, Nida! Can’t you remember all the good times we had together- winning our first gym badge, that time we stayed up all night in the forest telling each other stories, the- the day we first met- I was too nervous to tell you back then, but- until we met, I had always thought that- that I was never going to get to be a trainer, but you- you believed in me.

Forgive me...
Aw, I actually feel this a little bit. Once upon a time they were actually genuine companions. I can believe the trainer did care about her, and doesn't actually want to lose her.

But like any asshole in real life, he's acted inexcusably and is completely unable to face up to that. We get the sense he got frustrated over time with Nida being not that strong and stubbornly insisting on fighting battles she can't win, but instead of really communicating about it he went and found a stronger Pokémon. No matter how he justified his way into keeping Arcanine, which isn't bad on the face of it, the going behind Nida's back on it with an absurdly insistent series of lies is the really shitty part, and he's only cornered into apologizing for that offhandedly when called out, and then goes right back to justifying himself in the next breath. Good on Nida for dumping him.

I enjoyed the amusing analogy being made here to a romantic relationship and cheating. "There are lots of trainers who have two pokemon these days – sometimes more than two, even!" cracked me up. Not quite how we see Pokémon training work in canon, but it definitely is true that a lot of NPC trainers have only one or two Pokémon, so it's easy to buy into this premise nonetheless, even outside of the analogy.

But also, I think you did a good job of showing how these very human sorts of self-justifications and arguments play out in a way that rings pretty true, given acceptance of the slightly exaggerated and absurd premise. Like here:

You don’t care about fighting Thrasher anymore? But I thought- ...ah. Nida, I- fighting her wouldn’t prove anything. It wouldn’t really be a fair fight, first off, and- wait, let me explain! It’s just – you don’t know any ground-type moves yet, and she’s fully evolved, and- That’s not what I said! I said that evolving too early made you weaker in the long term! Look, even if you won, I wouldn’t stop training her. ...I’m sorry Nida, but we’ve been together for too long now. You have to consider her feelings, too-
Just, yeah, this is how arguments go. Reaching for justifications, awkward self-contradiction, swerving to a new topic when this one's lost, new protestations and reasons every time one's knocked down, the other party hitting potshots when they can even when they're rather besides the point. I think it gave this a level of realism, despite the silly stuff like the excuses near the beginning. People do be like that.

Enjoyed this all in all; I think the execution was very well done, on a premise that amuses while still ultimately exploring something real.

bluesidra

Mood
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. hoppip-bluesidra-reup
  2. hoppip-bluesidra-pink
  3. hoppip-bluesidra3
Relationship drama
Hell yeah!
even the champs lose half their practice matches. That’s how they know they’re getting the right level of challenge.
Awwww... the mental images... so precious...
This admittedly might not be the best time for this
No shit Sherlock. What makes you think you can whip out this juggernaut of a confession when the first interaction didn't go too well either?
And her eyes, Nida – if you had seen the incredible, soul-deep longing in her eyes
Ok, so, just out of curiosity: How many trainers die each year by Nidorino attacks? I think for this year it's one and the cops say it was justified.
I’m sorry Nida, but we’ve been together for too long now. You have to consider her feelings, too-
Oh, you gaslighting son of a bitch!

Hello! What an interesting story! Oh, I'm so down for relationship drama, I tell you. And though it was not the kind of drama I expected when I skimmed it, it was really fucking close. It's kinda funny, but once you continue, it gets pretty dark and pretty serious with all the manipulation going on.

The narrative style you chose works perfectly for this one! I always love those telephone-conversation kind of things where you only get to hear one side. Makes it easier for the author and more interesting for the audience. Also, what a dick! He's using all the textbook techniques to gaslight Nida and make her feel like she is the irrational one and the one who is hurting everybody. I'm glad she stormed off and hope she doesn't take it to heart too much. But yeah, big kudos on portraying such a slimy individual. Rare that you get to see those in the wild and get away unharmed. I'll keep this fic in the back of my mind whenever I have to write Chairman Rose. I could almost hear his voice...

The short piece of worldbuilding about how Nida trains for the League is pretty interesting. I love seeing the league set up as other trainers grinding xp to get up there. In the game, everyone just waits for you to pass through, this makes it feel much more alive.

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Heya,

I admittedly mostly stumbled upon this one-shot mostly by accident, and noticed from the first paragraph that it's about a Nida that uses Double Kick. I happen to write for a Nida that uses Double Kick, so I found it a bit of a funny coincidence. So let's take a gander at what's going here and do a blind read (minus checking the disclaimer) and see where this goes...

Hey Nida, do you have time for a little chat today? No, it’s not about your performance – you were doing great out there! I know, but the point was to work on practicing your double kicks, and you really are improving with those. They’re called practice matches for a reason.

Come on, don’t be like that! You’re not ‘practicing to lose’, you’re – Hey, look at it this way: even the champs lose half their practice matches. That’s how they know they’re getting the right level of challenge.

Now that’s not… Alright, I admit your recent battles have all been pretty rough. That’s not your fault; it just means we need to find some new people to practice with. You know, Darren’s in town – how would you feel about some matches with Fiona? The seel, remember?

Yeesh, how many times has this guy been losing with what I presume to be a little blue spike ball? Since... yeah, I can see how a string of Ls would get real old really fast for a Pokémon.
701630550720512120.png

...ah, I think his trainer’s been pretty busy lately. I’m not sure if they’d be- Really? Today, you mean? Oh. Well… look, I know you’re eager for a rematch with Thrasher, but I don’t know if you’re quite ready for that now.

I’m not saying you’re weak, I’m just saying you should get more practice before- Alright, fine! If you really want to, you can fight him. But just look at this video first. See, he knows earthquake now. And- No, you can’t just ‘jump over it’! That’s not how it works.

I mean, if this Nida is what I think she is... I wouldn't be too sure about that. I mean, sure, it probably couldn't work consistently, but bunnies know a thing or two about hopping. :V

Look, this isn’t some cheap TV drama. Being angry at someone doesn’t make you fight better. If anything, it’s the opposite! It might sound boring, but what really wins battles is diligent training, careful preparation and good strategy. I hate to say it, but if you rush into a fight with Thrasher now, you’ll lose, and he might not give you another chance after that. Just… give it some more thought, okay?

Wait! Before you go, there’s something I need to tell you. It was why I wanted to talk to you in the first place, actually. This admittedly might not be the best time for this, but I’ve been putting this off for too long, and I feel like if I don’t get this off my chest now, I never will. Nida, I have a confession to make. I… I’ve…

- Just casually looking over at protag of new story that I've started up as a side project -

701630550720512120.png

I mean, I'm not exactly planning on kicking my Nida to the curb, but boy was that an uncanny mood.

I’m sorry, Nida. I’m so, so sorry.

Nida: "No you're not." >:|

You have to understand, I never intended for it to go this far. We met during that day you were visiting your family west of Viridian. I was on a walk, preoccupied with my thoughts. Worrying if… If you were going to stay with me, or if you were going to move back into your parents’ den. I was too distracted to notice the alert on my phone about the mankey migration.

They fell upon me like a tidal wave of fur and fury, screeching, scratching, biting. I thought I was done for. But then she came. Strong. Graceful. Brave. With her roar move, she was able to scare most of them away, and then we fought off the last few together. We worked so well with each other that she asked me if I was a trainer. I said yes. She asked if I was looking for a pokemon to train. I told her about you.

She said she didn’t care.

You see, this is why you don't spring this news on Pokémon when they're in the midst of doubts about their self-confidence and self-worth. Though this admittedly feels closer to what one would expect from cheating on a girlfriend than training a new Pokémon.

How could I have told her no, Nida? She had just saved my life! Dozens of people die to mankey attacks every year – you have no idea how close I came to death that day. And her eyes, Nida – if you had seen the incredible, soul-deep longing in her eyes when she said she’d been searching for a way out of the wild – a way out of having to kill to eat, a way out of the cold, the rain, the violence… there was no resisting eyes like that.

592603469265764372.png

Yeah, I believe exactly none of the words in this passage and fully support Nida Double Kicking this guy in the shins.

Huh? What species is she? ...I don’t really think that’s important, Nida. No, she’s not one of the really rare species – it’s not about that, Nida, I would’ve said yes to any pokemon in those circumstances – Look, I really don’t think that’s a helpful comparison to- Okay, okay, she’s an arcanine! Are you happy?...yes, she was a growlithe when we first-

If the gender was flipped, that would be quite a mood, since... uh... yeah, that unintentionally aligns with a few things from my writing. o3o;;

That’s- I- It’s not like that, Nida! I swear, it’s not like that!

Nida: "Double Kicking's honestly too good for you. Seriously, what the hell?" >_>;

701630550720512120.png

Boy is this really giving off some vibes, since in the offsite version of Fledglings, this is literally what that Nida is at this point in time.

Nida, I’m genuinely sorry. I never wanted to hurt you like this when I first started training you. I should’ve told you sooner, I know, but things were already difficult between us then, and-

Nida, please. Please don’t make me choose like this. There are lots of trainers who have two pokemon these days – sometimes more than two, even! We can make it work, I promise! There’ll be no more secrets between the three of us now. You can help each other train, and go to contests together, and- No, wait, come back! I’ll even buy that moonstone for you, I promise!

Yeah, this is why you introduce teammates when your Pokémon aren't in a bad spot emotionally.

Forgive me...

I mean, while Nida's probably making decisions out of impulse here... yeah, I don't think any Pokémon would handle finding out they've been quietly sidelined in favor of a newer and shinier model well. Especially at a moment when they're emotionally vulnerable.

Well, that was certainly an experience. I mean, it doesn't fully align with the way I normally see Pokémon training, but I think it works overall. Also, the entire premise was making me
401074476474957834.png
internally at a few points, since thanks to a few coincidences of fate, the way things played out hit unexpectedly close to home.

All I will say is that if Protag actually gets that second chance, he'd do well not to squander it. Since, yeah. Nidorina aren't very nice when they're upset. And can casually poison you. But that's a story for a follow-up if you ever write it, I suppose.

Though kudos on the one-shot @The Walrein , and hope you had fun with the review.

The Walrein

Partners
  1. gulpin
  2. kricketot
  3. bulbasaur
Going to try to respond to reviews within a week from now on as part of my New Year's resolutions!

The equation of training a new pokémon on the sly to cheating on a romantic partner is one that I think both has some inherent humor to it but also kind of works if taken seriously. After all, if you're in a world with sapient pokémon, there's often a lot invested in the relationship between a human and their pokémon--a lot of emotion and potentially years of time! Of course, training multiple pokémon is a lot more accepted in the pokéworld than taking multiple romantic partners is in ours, which is something that would make the narrator's behavior here super weird. I'm guessing that's something you recognized, based on the bit at the end where they mention that lots of people are getting second pokémon now. I wonder whether this story's supposed to be set in a different time when it wasn't as common for people to have multiple pokémon for whatever reason. It otherwise reads like a contemporary story.

Yeah, this is set in a world where only training one Pokemon is the norm, primarily for a reason I'll explain later. I think this is actually the case in the Pokemon Conquest setting too, so I guess this in this timeline, that just never went away as the world modernized.

In particular I liked the one-sided argument over why the narrator had bought a fire stone for the arcanine but not Nida; at other times it felt like Nida wasn't saying much and was mostly letting the narrator say their piece, but the moon stone bit at the end was more interactive and we got much more of that "negative space" view of Nida and how she's reacting to all this.

I imagined that Nida was a bit too stunned by the initial confession to speak for some time after that, which is why the narrator had a string of uninterrupted lines in the middle.

This piece overall didn't feel like it knew exactly what tone it wanted to strike. Like I said, you definitely could have played it either straight or humorously, and based on the ending, I think you were going for "straight" (or at least more straight than parody). However, in other places, particularly earlier on, the story felt comedic. For example, when the narrator's referring to their "threadbare excuses" and "petty lies," it's funny, but it's also hard for me to take the story seriously as a heartfelt confession, because that doesn't feel like a genuine way that people tend to talk about their mistakes to me. I think the "Of course, I only said that she could stay with me..." paragraph is where it felt like it switched over from comedy into something more heartfelt (but still humorous). At that point you're done with the direct parodying of cheating tropes and move on to the moon stone argument. You don't want to lose that tongue-in cheek sort of tone, I don't think, but perhaps toning down the narrator's over-the-top speech here and there would heighten the emotional impact of the story a bit.

Yeah, I originally intended for this to be a purely humorous piece, but then I realized I didn't really have any jokes besides the sillyness of the cheating analogy and the narrator's various lies to cover it up. That in itself would've been much too short, so I just sort of kept going, writing out what I thought would come next, and it ended up switching tones entirely. In retrospect I should've put more effort into maintaining a single tone - I usually think that consistency of tone is overrated, but that's probably more true for longer works than shorter ones, and in this case I think it really hurt the piece.

Dozens of them!! (This is making me think of cows being the most dangerous large animal in the UK, for some reason. They do kill a few people a year!)

"Dozens" is probably true as a worldwide statistic here, but not for just Kanto.

I was a little confused by your use of dashes in this one; sometimes you go with a longer en(?) dash surrounded by spaces, and sometimes you use what I think is a hyphen with one space after it. I'm not sure how you're choosing whether to go with one or the other, or why you want to distinguish between the different types of usage.

The longer dashes were meant to represent the narrator moving from one idea to the next in their speech, without slowing down enough for it to constitute two separate sentences (or because the first part was only a fragment), while the hyphens were supposed to represent the narrator getting interrupted. Looking back, I really did use a lot of those long dashes, and perhaps I was a bit sloppy with that.

This is the fun flavor of parody that makes you deeply question the source material. I'm here for it, although I imagine it's a narrow audience and it's definitely a hard line to balance--it's got the same type of "wow this premise is a little absurd if taken at face value" that I find emblematic with a lot of your work, but this time we're laughing at a crumbling relationship where one party is trying to guilt the other into staying after doing atrocious things, instead of like, Birch fighting mecha Groudon or something.

I'm totally here for it, since slapping canon/fanon dissonance in the face is an excellent brand, but it's a rough sell and I see why you'd be expecting mixed results on it. It's more of the "oof, rip" laughter than belly laughs, because at some level this fic also goes really deeply into ideas of trust, hurt, vulnerability, and so forth. It lands for me though, and in particular I like this reframing because, like, it's saying the quiet part that goes unsaid with all the people who cheer for Ash to ditch his shitty and weak pokemon for OG greats like Charizard, Butterfree loses too much--framing it with the terms used more in cheating in a romantic relationship conveys how absurd that kind of mentality is if those pokemon are supposed to be your friends/partners.

Hmm - I wasn't really intending for this to be a parody when I wrote it, because it's so far from the actual canon. It's definitely true that in most of my universes, you definitely can't expect to go about team-building like you can in the videogames and expect to get away with it.

Monologue is hard to establish characters in, especially with the central premise that the narrator isn't super trustworthy/has withheld information before, but I think you do a solid job.

Hey, thanks! In general I'm pretty worried about my ability to establish characters that aren't one-dimensional comedic archetypes, so it means a lot to hear this from someone as good at subtle character work as you are.

I think you do a nice job with the monologue implying what's going on in the opening. We get a sense of Nida feeling weak, wanting this rematch, and the trainer awkwardly trying to dissuade her from a match he knows she's unlikely to win while assuring her that nonono, it's not that she's weak or anything! Undertones that he's kind of more reluctant to lose her battles while trying to make it out to be out of concern for her; after all, no real reason she shouldn't fight losing battles if she really wants to, right? But it's still fairly understandable that he's trying to tell her things like no, being angry doesn't actually help you win.

Hmm - I didn't actually intend for there to be any undertones about the narrator being reluctant to lose battles. The primary reason why the narrator didn't want Nida to go ahead with the Thrasher fight was that they knew she'd only become even more mopey and bitter after losing. Also, they knew that Nida cared a lot about the fight, and were correct in their assessment that there wouldn't be a second chance - to Nida, Thrasher is her biggest rival, but to Thrasher, Nida is just some rando he happened to fight a few times.

The whole mankey attack image is delightfully silly and lends more absurdity to when the trainer is super melodramatic about how they nearly died. I wouldn't put it past a Walrein fic to have someone actually die to a Mankey attack, but in this context I'm definitely inclined to read it as some over-the-top melodrama on his part.

The narrator was definitely playing up the danger, but in this universe there actually was like a 5% chance they would've died, and a 15% chance of getting permanently maimed. Growlithe's intervention made those odds worse though, by escalating the situation.

No matter how he justified his way into keeping Arcanine, which isn't bad on the face of it, the going behind Nida's back on it with an absurdly insistent series of lies is the really shitty part, and he's only cornered into apologizing for that offhandedly when called out, and then goes right back to justifying himself in the next breath. Good on Nida for dumping him.

I'm not sure why you thought the narrator only admitted and apologized for the 'cheating' after being "cornered into it" and "called out" on it - the entire premise of the fic was about them voluntarily confessing to the cheating and lying, after which they immediately apologize for it. Yes, they do move on to try to explain how it happened, but I generally don't count people's attempts at explaining or justifying their misdeeds as further points against them. I think that that dynamic can lead to scenarios where someone is accused of a bad thing, and then it's impossible for them to disprove it because all attempts to rebut it are only taken as further evidence of their badness.

We get the sense he got frustrated over time with Nida being not that strong and stubbornly insisting on fighting battles she can't win, but instead of really communicating about it he went and found a stronger Pokémon.

I don't think it's fair to say the narrator specifically went searching for a stronger Pokemon, at least assuming their explanation of how they met Arcanine was true. I was trying to imply with the opening that they had been attempting to communicate with Nida, but it hadn't produced much fruit. Also, in this world, breaking off a relationship with a Pokemon because they're too weak would be seen as like ending a relationship with someone because you think they're too ugly. It's not something a "good" trainer would do or even insinuate doing.

"There are lots of trainers who have two pokemon these days – sometimes more than two, even!" cracked me up.

Thanks, this line was one of my favorites when I was writing it.

Just, yeah, this is how arguments go. Reaching for justifications, awkward self-contradiction, swerving to a new topic when this one's lost, new protestations and reasons every time one's knocked down, the other party hitting potshots when they can even when they're rather besides the point. I think it gave this a level of realism, despite the silly stuff like the excuses near the beginning. People do be like that.

I wouldn't say that the narrator ever contradicted themselves here, or that Nida even "knocked down" any of their points about how her fighting the Arcanine would be a bad idea. The narrator was consistent about evolution making a Pokemon stronger in the short term, but premature evolutions being bad for a Pokemon in the long term. What they were responding too with "That's not what I said!" was Nida saying something like "Weren't you just saying that evolution made Pokemon weaker, now?" which was an unfair strawman of their position.

No shit Sherlock. What makes you think you can whip out this juggernaut of a confession when the first interaction didn't go too well either?

Although perhaps it wasn't the best time for the confession, to be fair, there really hadn't been any good times for it recently - Nida's insecurity had been an ongoing issue for a while at that point, and the narrator was right about them perhaps not being able to muster up the nerve to make the confession if they let it go then.

Ok, so, just out of curiosity: How many trainers die each year by Nidorino attacks? I think for this year it's one and the cops say it was justified.

Interestingly, probably less than the number killed by Nidoran, since they're more common, harder to see and therefore easier to startle into sudden attack, and also generally less mature and more likely to respond to situations violently. Also I guess it's worth pointing out that I strongly disagree that murder is called for in this situation.

Oh, you gaslighting son of a bitch!

I realize that the meaning of the term 'gaslighting' has perhaps broadened somewhat besides its original meaning of trying to make someone think they're insane by attempting to convince them their perceptions of events are delusional, but I still really don't see how it applies here? Like, it's not even dishonest to point out that the Arcanine would be hurt if the narrator suddenly broke off their relationship - she probably would be! The original concept of 'gaslighting' was genuinely useful, I think, but it really gets diluted down if it can be used to mean 'any kind of social manipulation'.

The short piece of worldbuilding about how Nida trains for the League is pretty interesting. I love seeing the league set up as other trainers grinding xp to get up there. In the game, everyone just waits for you to pass through, this makes it feel much more alive.

Yeah, I have to imagine that a more realistic version of the games would have most trainers try to schedule matches with particular people in advance rather than just having battles with whoever they bump into while traveling.

I admittedly mostly stumbled upon this one-shot mostly by accident, and noticed from the first paragraph that it's about a Nida that uses Double Kick. I happen to write for a Nida that uses Double Kick, so I found it a bit of a funny coincidence. So let's take a gander at what's going here and do a blind read (minus checking the disclaimer) and see where this goes...

When I was writing this I thought "Hmm, what's a good name for a Nidorina? How about 'Nida'?" and didn't realize I was using the same name from Fledglings until after it was published. I didn't realize the further connection of also having an Arcanine in the story until you pointed it out in this review, though.

I mean, if this Nida is what I think she is... I wouldn't be too sure about that. I mean, sure, it probably couldn't work consistently, but bunnies know a thing or two about hopping. :V

I guess in this world earthquake just lasts too long to avoid it solely by jumping. Also, Nidorina morphology is probably a little less suited for jumping then a Nidoran's would be.

Nida: "No you're not." >:|

This is one of the areas where I think the tone inconsistency hurt the story - I intended for the narrator's contrition to be sincere, but phrasing it in a funny-sounding way for comedic value probably made it come off otherwise.

You see, this is why you don't spring this news on Pokémon when they're in the midst of doubts about their self-confidence and self-worth.
Unfortunately the doubt had been going on for a while at this point, so there wasn't really a great time to do it.

***​

One thing that surprised me a bit with the responses was the level of antipathy for the narrator. They breached Nida's trust and did a bad thing, yes, and I don't think Nida was wrong to leave them at the end, but I had intended for the story to be a bit more ambiguous - almost a tragedy, really. I guess a big reason for the discrepancy was that in my own personal imagining, everything the narrator said was basically accurate - they exaggerated the odds of them dying in the Mankey attack, and laid it on thick when talking about the "soul-deep longing" in Growlithe's eyes, but otherwise were completely honest. Premature evolution really does hurt your potential in the long term, Nida really wasn't ready to evolve while Growlithe was, the narrator actually did make genuine efforts to try to get Growlithe placed with another trainer and did sort of blunder into keeping her almost accidentally, they really did feel obligated to her for saving them from the Mankey, they actually would've done the same for almost any Pokemon in that situation (save for perhaps very odious or difficult to care for Pokemon like Grimer or Onix). Obviously, of course, it was entirely reasonable for anyone to expect that some or all of these things could be false, given the narrator's previous lies, and also the fact that the explanation of how they met Growlithe seemed too perfectly calculated to make them appear maximally sympathetic (which occurred because, in reality, it had been calculated by me to make the narrator more sympathetic and the story seem more tragic).

Another thing is the protagonist's motivation - a lot of people seemed to believe the protagonist had 'cheated' on Nida because they were tired of losing with her and wanted a stronger Pokemon, but that wasn't what I had in mind. The reason the 'new' Pokemon was stronger and rarer than Nida came from a decision by the author, not the narrator - I made the 'new' Pokemon be an Arcanine so that Nida would come to the conclusion that the narrator was replacing her because she was weak, to increase the level of pain and drama. But the protagonist's actual motivation was fear - they were afraid of being alone. The only real hint I gave to this was that the protagonist mentioned being anxious about Nida leaving them during their walk where they ended up meeting Growlithe - so anxious, in fact, that they missed an alert for a life-threatening situation! In my internal canon for this world, which obviously never got mentioned, there's a stigma against not having a Pokemon companion once you're past a certain age - after all, surely only a loser or a terrible person would be unable to get a Pokemon to agree to stay with them. At the very least, it's a marker of being lower class. This is mostly why there's the social rule about only training one Pokemon at a time - to make sure that there's "enough" Pokemon for everyone (although of course few people would actually admit this is the reason).

From the protagonist's perspective, they had no good options after meeting Growlithe. If they told Nida that she was going to be staying with them for a while until they found another trainer for her, Nida would likely have misinterpreted the situation and abandoned them, given her immaturity and that their relationship was already in a rough patch at the moment. Then they'd be left with Growlithe, but - easy come, easy go, you know? Growlithe would likely also leave them soon. If the protagonist had told Growlithe that they absolutely couldn't stay with them while looking for another trainer, and had to either return to the wild or get dumped off at a homeless Pokemon shelter, that would've seemed really cruel to say to a Pokemon who had just saved their life - and people in that society would've agreed with that take, and called the narrator a bad person for having done so. So, unwilling to face either option, they decided to simply keep Growlithe a secret while trying to find another trainer to take her in. But, as the protagonist mentioned, Growlithe didn't like any of the other trainers she was introduced to - what were they supposed to do, force her to join one of them? And then Growlithe kept asking the protagonist to take her to battles and contests - and a good trainer is supposed to listen to their Pokemon's wants, right? They could hardly just leave her at home to rot. And then she asked for the fire stone - and the narrator could see she was genuinely ready to evolve, so how could they deny her?

Yes, the right thing to do would've been to simply explain the situation to Nida at the beginning, and then accept whatever consequences arose from that. But that would've required a certain degree of courage, wouldn't it? It's easy, of course, to say that you would've been brave enough to do the right thing in that situation - and perhaps you would've been. But in general I think people tend to overestimate their level of courage when it comes to doing things which will likely result in a reduction of their social status. It's an understandable flaw, in my view, and I guess I'm inclined to a degree of forgiveness for it given that the protagonist does, eventually, work up the guts to confess their misdoing. They could've, at that point, found a way to break off their relationship with Nida without ever letting her know about Arcanine, by that point secure that Arcanine was going to stay with them. But they did genuinely still care about Nida, and wanted to do right by her.

Naturally, almost none of this was conveyed in the story at all, so it's totally understandable no one else had the same perspective on it that I did. However, I do want to point out that in real life, we rarely see these kinds of events alongside all the context for them, and it's easy to pronounce judgment based on a simplified version of the story that matches to a pre-existing pattern - ah, this person has to be lying, they're obviously an abusive asshole - ah, if true, this would be inconvenient for cause X, so whoever said that must be a terrible person who hates cause X! And then I think there's a dynamic where you feel compelled to give stronger condemnation to these things than you would otherwise, lest someone think that you support an abuser or hate cause X.

***​

However, despite my surprise at how much people's interpretation of the story differed from my own, I'm still grateful to everyone who reviewed. I'm glad the story was enjoyed and I had fun writing it. Your responses were thoughtful and helpful, and made me think much deeper about the story.

...unfortunately, I'm afraid I can't let things end there. For, you see, I have a confession of my own to make: I stole the central joke of this fic from a blog post by My Little Pony fanfic author John Perry, where he 'confessed' that he was cheating on MLP by seeing a different cartoon. The line "And it’s very serious between us now" is something I think I took almost verbatim, although sadly John Perry deleted his Fimfiction account so there's no way to check. I can only hope all of you find it in your hearts to forgive me for this terrible crime.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Interesting! I'm going to try to give some insight into why I interpreted the story the way I did, and why I think other readers had similar takes:

Walrein said:
When this is the paragraph you use to introduce the 'cheating', and the events they describe from there have a humorously exaggerated quality to them, you prime the reader to distrust them! They tell us casually they've been making up just the most ridiculous excuses, and then move on telling us a lot of other things that sound like excuses, all in this parodesque tone - they definitely feel written like a satirical character who is not meant to be sympathetic, whose excuses are meant to sound flimsy, until perhaps at the very end. To a large extent, if that wasn't your intention, that's probably just the combination of it being a monologue and your naturally satiresque writing style - any character written in this sort of tone would sound pretty insincere, I think.

I'm not sure why you thought the narrator only admitted and apologized for the 'cheating' after being "cornered into it" and "called out" on it - the entire premise of the fic was about them voluntarily confessing to the cheating and lying, after which they immediately apologize for it. Yes, they do move on to try to explain how it happened, but I generally don't count people's attempts at explaining or justifying their misdeeds as further points against them. I think that that dynamic can lead to scenarios where someone is accused of a bad thing, and then it's impossible for them to disprove it because all attempts to rebut it are only taken as further evidence of their badness.
Ah, I don't mean apologizing for the 'cheating' at all (which they do do unprompted) - I mean acknowledging that they should have not gone behind her back this whole time. That happens here, with "I should've told you sooner", near the end of the story:

Since they're bringing that up now, after being interrupted at the end of the last paragraph, I assumed that's because Nida just said something to prompt it, calling them out on why they've been sneaking around with it this whole time - I think that's a reasonable interpretation of this?

In general, the narrator spends maybe 5% (generously) of the confession admitting to any sort of wrongdoing on their part or expressing concern about Nida and her feelings, and 95% trying to argue why their actions were actually perfectly reasonable. The brief acknowledgements that they did something wrong are like this one above - I should've told you sooner, BUT...

All in all, that doesn't sound like someone who feels all that bad or sorry for going behind Nida's back. Surely, if they did, they'd spend more of their confession to her admitting that they did make bad decisions and acting like they care about her, and less of it trying to explain to Nida why actually everything they did was totally reasonable and she's wrong to be upset. This is a confession to her, and precisely by what line of reasoning they did everything they did just isn't all that relevant in that context. Why didn't they just say something like, "Nida, I'm really sorry. I went behind your back. I sort of accidentally wound up with another Pokémon through a freak chain of events, and I've been afraid to tell you about it for months because I was worried about how you'd react. I should've told you anyway and I deeply regret that. Are you all right? Do you want to meet her? Do you want to leave? I respect if you do, but - I really care about you, Nida, and I'd like nothing more than to train both of you, if you'd let me. I promise I'll be clean with you from now on - no more lies. I've been thinking a lot about how important you are to me, and I really don't want to lose you"? To me, the clear answer seemed to be, "Because this trainer is a lot more concerned with justifying themselves than with Nida or how their actions hurt her or how to make it right."

Note that this is distinct from somebody who has been accused of a bad thing making a rebuttal to the accusations - in that case, their contention is that they really didn't do anything wrong. I would agree that in that case, explaining themselves and their actions and why they took them thoroughly is what they ought to be doing, and it'd be circular to consider that in itself damning. But the trainer isn't meant to be defending themselves from wrongful accusations here - they're supposedly confessing and apologizing for something they did do wrong, but instead spend almost all of their time talking about why it wasn't really. That makes the apology seem pretty insincere - like really the trainer thinks their actions were all perfectly justified, and isn't really very sorry for it at all.

Does that make sense? I noticed you left a react on Butterfree, so I presume you read it and I can use it as an example - there's a reason the first half of that story shows in painstaking detail exactly how the trainer's actions feel reasonable to them in the moment, in the same sort of manner you seem to have intended here, but in the subsequent scene where they apologize to Butterfree, they don't make a big speech explaining all that. It did all feel reasonable at the time, but that's not really relevant, in that moment; what matters is that they're sorry, that they should have done this years ago, that they realize what felt reasonable at the time ultimately wasn't, that it's up to Butterfree if they're willing to forgive them for it, that if Butterfree stays they'll never let anything like this happen again because they understand what they did wrong and are desperately determined not to repeat it. And at least to me, that's the kind of apology that shows the person has really changed and reflected and probably deserves a second chance, whereas if they'd instead launched into explaining why all their actions made perfect sense, it'd seem more like they hadn't really learned much at all and would probably do the same thing again.

Of course, this is a much shorter story, told as a spoken monologue, so in order to tell the reader what actually happened and why, the narrator must also tell it to Nida! So obviously that kind of restrained you there. I do think that it would still have been possible to make it feel more sincere, though, if they'd spent more time acknowledging what they did wrong, at least wondering if some of the seemingly impossible choices they faced had more possible options they didn't consider at the time, and generally showing they care about Nida more than about being right. (Often acknowledgement of wrongdoing does come with an explanation of why you did it at the time - the main thing is just making very clear that you still shouldn't have done it, and understand why, and wouldn't do it again.)

Hope that helps, or at least constitutes more interesting food for thought on it! I admire the themes you were going for - they're just not what I read into it, as it was.

Last edited:

The Walrein

Partners
  1. gulpin
  2. kricketot
  3. bulbasaur
Hello Dragonfree - thanks for the detailed response!

When this is the paragraph you use to introduce the 'cheating', and the events they describe from there have a humorously exaggerated quality to them, you prime the reader to distrust them! They tell us casually they've been making up just the most ridiculous excuses, and then move on telling us a lot of other things that sound like excuses, all in this parodesque tone - they definitely feel written like a satirical character who is not meant to be sympathetic, whose excuses are meant to sound flimsy, until perhaps at the very end. To a large extent, if that wasn't your intention, that's probably just the combination of it being a monologue and your naturally satiresque writing style - any character written in this sort of tone would sound pretty insincere, I think.

Ah yeah, this was definitely a casualty of the decision to switch from a comedic tone to something more emotional partway through the piece. The narrator of the latter half realistically wouldn't say the things the narrator of the first half did when they began the confession. (Although I should note that even when I'm writing 'satirical' characters, I almost always intend for everyone to still be at least slightly sympathetic, unless they're a really over-the-top cartoonishly evil villain like Malamar in Hitmontop Saves The Day.)

Ah, I don't mean apologizing for the 'cheating' at all (which they do do unprompted) - I mean acknowledging that they should have not gone behind her back this whole time. That happens here, with "I should've told you sooner", near the end of the story:

Since they're bringing that up now, after being interrupted at the end of the last paragraph, I assumed that's because Nida just said something to prompt it, calling them out on why they've been sneaking around with it this whole time - I think that's a reasonable interpretation of this?

Hmm. I thought that apologizing for the lies carried the implication that they thought the lies were bad and they shouldn't have done them, but on second thought, there's certainly a kind of apology where one expresses sorrow that things turned out the way they did while still maintaining that they made the best choices possible, so it's not entirely clear the narrator wasn't doing that at first (although that wasn't what they had intended). What the narrator was responding to with the lines starting "Nida, I’m genuinely sorry. I never wanted to hurt you like this when I first started training you." was Nida saying "Her feelings? What about my feelings?" in response to the narrator saying that she had to consider the Arcanine's feelings. So, I guess you could say it was prompted by Nida 'calling them out', although not in regards to the lying specifically.

All in all, that doesn't sound like someone who feels all that bad or sorry for going behind Nida's back. Surely, if they did, they'd spend more of their confession to her admitting that they did make bad decisions and acting like they care about her, and less of it trying to explain to Nida why actually everything they did was totally reasonable and she's wrong to be upset. This is a confession to her, and precisely by what line of reasoning they did everything they did just isn't all that relevant in that context. Why didn't they just say something like, "Nida, I'm really sorry. I went behind your back. I sort of accidentally wound up with another Pokémon through a freak chain of events, and I've been afraid to tell you about it for months because I was worried about how you'd react. I should've told you anyway and I deeply regret that. Are you all right? Do you want to meet her? Do you want to leave? I respect if you do, but - I really care about you, Nida, and I'd like nothing more than to train both of you, if you'd let me. I promise I'll be clean with you from now on - no more lies. I've been thinking a lot about how important you are to me, and I really don't want to lose you"? To me, the clear answer seemed to be, "Because this trainer is a lot more concerned with justifying themselves than with Nida or how their actions hurt her or how to make it right."

The reason the narrator launched into trying to justify their actions is that they felt it important to explain that they were only the result of a highly unusual circumstance, and therefore unlikely to happen again. Also, they were concerned with their image of themselves as "a good trainer", and more broadly a good person, and were trying to explain how their actions comported with that. Partly they were trying to argue to themself there. It's true that the narrator is rather selfish, and primarily thinking about their own feelings rather than Nida, but I don't think that level of selfishness is so uncommon - 70th percentile, maybe, where 100th percentile is maximally selfish? I also don't think such selfishness is necessarily incompatible with actually caring about someone, too.

Also, realistically the person mature and not self-centered enough to go with the emotionally-mature-and-likely-to-be-effective apology you'd described there wouldn't have cheated in the first place - even more realistically, they probably would've realized their partnership with Nida wasn't working and would've broken it off long ago.

Note that this is distinct from somebody who has been accused of a bad thing making a rebuttal to the accusations - in that case, their contention is that they really didn't do anything wrong. I would agree that in that case, explaining themselves and their actions and why they took them thoroughly is what they ought to be doing, and it'd be circular to consider that in itself damning. But the trainer isn't meant to be defending themselves from wrongful accusations here - they're supposedly confessing and apologizing for something they did do wrong, but instead spend almost all of their time talking about why it wasn't really.

I do think that even if one did something wrong, the reasons why they did it are still very important - murder is very different from accidental manslaughter, after all - and it's fair to let people explain potential mitigating factors. In this case, the "mitigating factors" don't have much bearing on how much harm was done to Nida by the cheating, but I do think they effect the question of "how likely is it for this person to lie again in this way", which might influence whether or not you wish to stay with them (and also the question of to what extent we as a society should consider them to be a "bad person", assuming that someone being "bad" means they're likely to do bad things). Of course, it's often useful to punish people for crimes even if you think they won't commit them again for the sake of deterrence.

Does that make sense? I noticed you left a react on Butterfree, so I presume you read it and I can use it as an example - there's a reason the first half of that story shows in painstaking detail exactly how the trainer's actions feel reasonable to them in the moment, in the same sort of manner you seem to have intended here, but in the subsequent scene where they apologize to Butterfree, they don't make a big speech explaining all that. It did all feel reasonable at the time, but that's not really relevant, in that moment; what matters is that they're sorry, that they should have done this years ago, that they realize what felt reasonable at the time ultimately wasn't, that it's up to Butterfree if they're willing to forgive them for it, that if Butterfree stays they'll never let anything like this happen again because they understand what they did wrong and are desperately determined not to repeat it. And at least to me, that's the kind of apology that shows the person has really changed and reflected and probably deserves a second chance, whereas if they'd instead launched into explaining why all their actions made perfect sense, it'd seem more like they hadn't really learned much at all and would probably do the same thing again.

Yes, this does make sense to me. I never intended for the "confession" to show that the protagonist had 'really changed' - in general I think it's pretty rare for people to actually change very much, but it is usually possible to change the circumstances someone is in so that they behave better. What I had been trying to show was that the narrator had been in a weird circumstance, where it might be understandable why a 70th-perecentile-on-selfishness person could do what they did. I think my primarily failing was that I expected that everyone would take the narrator's description of that circumstance at face value, and evaluate them based on that, rather than just assuming it was a pack of lies. Also, I think I just gave a lot more weight to the fact that they had decided to confess at all than everyone else did.

(With regards to the comparison with Butterfree specifically, I do think one thing that contributes to people's differing reactions is that there's no real-life equivalent to putting someone in stasis for six years (the closest I can think of is putting someone in prison, but that's still pretty different). I think this makes people generally more inclined to forgive it as opposed to something like cheating where some of the readers or people they've known may have had personal experiences with it, or can imagine that it might be something which could happen to them.)

Of course, this is a much shorter story, told as a spoken monologue, so in order to tell the reader what actually happened and why, the narrator must also tell it to Nida! So obviously that kind of restrained you there. I do think that it would still have been possible to make it feel more sincere, though, if they'd spent more time acknowledging what they did wrong, at least wondering if some of the seemingly impossible choices they faced had more possible options they didn't consider at the time, and generally showing they care about Nida more than about being right. (Often acknowledgement of wrongdoing does come with an explanation of why you did it at the time - the main thing is just making very clear that you still shouldn't have done it, and understand why, and wouldn't do it again.)

True, I was constrained by the shortness of the piece. Another factor is that I wasn't optimizing the confession for sincerity - and wouldn't want to do so even if I rewrote the piece - rather, I was optimizing it for drama and conflict (and at the beginning, for humor).

Hope that helps, or at least constitutes more interesting food for thought on it! I admire the themes you were going for - they're just not what I read into it, as it was.

I do think you helped clarify why the narrator's attempt at confessing was as read as completely insincere. That does help, although I think the ultimate question I have is still "how do I get people to read this scenario and feel at least a little sad that things had to turn out the way they did, while still having the narrator be selfish and flawed in a common-ish manner (by which I mean they still wouldn't be making the confession in the maximally kind and mature way you suggested above) rather than just think "yay, an asshole got their comeuppance!". I think it's important that people be able to feel some empathy even for people who've done bad things, even if they go about apologizing for them in a clumsy and self-centered way. Also, I think I'm still a bit surprised at the level of bloodthirstiness/condemnation some people had - joking about how the narrator should've had physical violence done to them - but it may be that I'm just unusually sensitive to such things.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain your thoughts in such detail!

Last edited:

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
Hi Walrain! I’m trying to pick up a few last-minute points for review blitz and realized I haven’t reviewed anything by you yet this year. But reading your stuff is always a treat, so here I am!

To start off, I think the way the story is framed, with us unable to hear Nida’s side of the conversation, works really well. And it works well specifically because, even if we can’t get her exact words, we CAN infer a lot about what she’s saying and about her tone by the narrator’s response. It feels like it flows pretty naturally, and feels almost like we’re a third party overhearing one side of a phone conversation. (Or maybe, in this case, we’re a third party who only hears “Nida Ni-nida!” from the pokemon in question lol.)

On the subject matter itself, I find myself struggling to figure out how I feel, but in a good way. Like. There is some inherent absurdism in the way that the story is about training another pokemon without telling your current teammate, but framed like cheating in a romantic relationship, which gives the story a bit of a humorous tone. But at the same time, Nida’s reaction makes it feel a lot more serious because like. The narrator did lie to her. They did go behind her back to train this other pokemon, when if he’d just been open from the start about adding another member to the team, there probably wouldn’t have been an issue. Or not as much of one, at least. So it almost falls into some form of dark humor to me.

But overall, I did have a good time with it. Whether your intention was to go for something more serious, or to be a little silly, I think it works either way. Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom