• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon (2023 Drabble Bingo) 💖 Rotom's Charming Angels 💖

Cherry_BombBees

flying in the name of love
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. altaria
Love TrianglePower of FriendshipManzai
Gender Ambiguity-dere TropesThe Chosen One
InvincibleMagical GirlsBadass Pacifist

(for the Fourth Anniversary Drabble Bingo) Bingo: Anime archetypes!
----

Rotom's Charming Angels is an animated Sinnohan superhero action series that aired on Jubilife TV, producing three seasons, 36 episodes and a movie finale that aired in theaters. The series' themes include friendship, justice and reaching new potentials.

Premise

The series revolves around Tsubomi the Lopunny, Erika the Gardevoir and Itsuki the Medicham: three female Pokémon who work for their unseen boss Rotom. The titular Charming Angels explore the Pokémon universe while stopping villainous teams from committing crime.

Starting in season two's premiere episode "Chosen for Going Beyond", the titular Charming Angels obtain Mega Evolution and Mega Evolve once per arc, during the finale of the arc.

Characters

Tsubomi the Lopunny: The optimist leader of Charming Angels. Rotom recruits due to her high compassion for those she cares about, and she usually lands the first kick during battles.

Erika the Gardevoir: The witty intellect of Charming Angels. Recruited for her high intellect and quick determination, she's usually the first Charming Angel to spot civilians in danger.

Itsuki the Medicham: The stubborn warrior of Charming Angels. Recruited for her physical strength and powerful kicks, she learns to not hide her emotions and show that she cares for others.

Charmy Rotom: The "mon behind the mask" of Charming Angels. Known for their ambiguity and desire to see great potential in others. Due to an injury they recieved before the first episode, they are not seen on-screen until the last episode. According to a storyboard artist, Rotom's gender identity is "none".

The Mad Awds: A trio of troublemaking delinquents, and the Charming Angels' main rivals.

Valentine the Weavile: The leader of Mad Awd. Initially introduced as female in episode 4, but was retconned to male in episode 5. He often kickstarts arcs by hurting innocent civilians protecting their goods from thievery.

Adonis the Arbok: The intellectual of Mad Awd. While cruel to most Pokémon, he despises Pokémon with the ability to Mega Evolve.

Dionysus the Drapion: The muscle of Mad Awk. He and Adonis often compete for Valentine's validation, yet put aside their differences to stop the Charming Angels.

Reception

The series' popularity led to several merchandise deals, a manga adaptation, an OVA starring Charmy Rotom, a movie finale and a large fanbase throughout several regions.

A Galarian dub was set to be released five years after the conclusion of the series, but was cancelled due to a lack of interest by audiences. The only official Galarian release was of the manga adaptation, highly criticized for changing character names and removing elements of Sinnohan culture.

Last edited:

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
This is a really cute idea! I love explorations of in-universe media, and I enjoy the idea of mashing up Team Charm with Charlie’s Angels. You’ve definitely captured plenty of the classic anime tropes here—the bit about the Galarian release being criticized for removing Sinnohan cultural references, oof. I also enjoyed references to retcons and other typical features of a serial TV show.

There are a couple places where your paragraphs cut off—looks like you forgot to finish them? E.g. the sentence about the show’s themes and Tsubomi’s blurb.

Cherry_BombBees

Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. altaria
This is a really cute idea! I love explorations of in-universe media, and I enjoy the idea of mashing up Team Charm with Charlie’s Angels. You’ve definitely captured plenty of the classic anime tropes here—the bit about the Galarian release being criticized for removing Sinnohan cultural references, oof. I also enjoyed references to retcons and other typical features of a serial TV show.

Thank you! Also the part about the Galarian release is a reference to Pretty Cure's dubs, which cut out the cultural references :unquag:
There are a couple places where your paragraphs cut off—looks like you forgot to finish them? E.g. the sentence about the show’s themes and Tsubomi’s blurb.
And yeah, I forgot to finish those, heh.

Venia Silente

For your ills, I prescribe a cat.
At the 0-divisor point of the Riemann AU Earth
Pronouns
Él/Su
Partners
  1. nidorino
  2. blaziken
Very definitively an interesting premise of a show to watch. I've followed other takes on Pokémon + Magical Girls before and this one reads like in-universe it would maintain much of the elements that made the charm (punintended lol) of Charlie's Angels in its various releases. I'm especially fond of how the 2000s movies embraced some of the narm inherent to the "investigative dramedy" subgenre and ran with it instead of trying to make it too mature too grim too‑bleak‑stopped‑caring and can already feel from the description how the finale movie could have also gone that route.

Erika and Dionysus sound like they would be to me the more interesting characters in the series.

Oh and let's get real, who'd you say would be the seiyu / VA of Rotom in the original release? Admittedly I could imagine it being Hirotaka Suzouki or a similar voice, but it'd be interesting to hear your voice on this.

Summary: 8.8 / Would Pirate, given the circumstances. f Galar, always ruining anime imports.

Cherry_BombBees

Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. altaria
Very definitively an interesting premise of a show to watch. I've followed other takes on Pokémon + Magical Girls before and this one reads like in-universe it would maintain much of the elements that made the charm (punintended lol) of Charlie's Angels in its various releases. I'm especially fond of how the 2000s movies embraced some of the narm inherent to the "investigative dramedy" subgenre and ran with it instead of trying to make it too mature too grim too‑bleak‑stopped‑caring and can already feel from the description how the finale movie could have also gone that route.

Erika and Dionysus sound like they would be to me the more interesting characters in the series.

Oh and let's get real, who'd you say would be the seiyu / VA of Rotom in the original release? Admittedly I could imagine it being Hirotaka Suzouki or a similar voice, but it'd be interesting to hear your voice on this.

Summary: 8.8 / Would Pirate, given the circumstances. f Galar, always ruining anime imports.
Thank you so much :D!

And yes, it's definitely as narmy as Charlie's Angels (the original series of course). The movie finale would definitely keep up a hammy and narmy spirit.

It's fun that you brought up ideas for seiyus/VAs-- even I hadn't gone that far! But I definitely think Hirotaka Suzuouki would be a good cast for Charmy Rotom! As for the English dub I would say Avi Roque or Casey Mongillo would do great at voicing Rotom.

Top Bottom