• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Poppin' Arms ~ Dorm Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
The sign on the dorm halls saying NO SURFING IN THE DORMS loomed ominously on the wall. It gave off a menacing aura.

Sudmensch

Professional Procrastinator
Pronouns
he/him
Dill chuckled nervously as he took notice of the sign looming over him.

"Heh, good thing that didn't work, right? Imagine... if..." he trailed off. The Feraligatr's crocodile smile faltered as he heard a quiet, low roaring sound getting progressively louder.

"...hey, uh, Petram, was it? D-does there happen to be any sort of body of water nearby?" he asked, his voice tinged with dread.

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Petram pouted and stared at the sign defiantly. “Rules are meant to be broken…” he whispered in annoyance, tapping his paw.

"...hey, uh, Petram, was it? D-does there happen to be any sort of body of water nearby?" he asked, his voice tinged with dread.

“…Eh?” Petram turned back to Dill. “Yes to both: I am Petram and there are many bodies of water.” He wagged his tails. “What do you prefer? Saltwater or fresh water? The beach is closer, but there is a lake… somewhere, if you prefer that.”

Sudmensch

Professional Procrastinator
Pronouns
he/him
The Feraligatr's face fell as the roaring reached a crescendo, presumably from the direction of said beach.

"Oh, berries-"

A horrible crash sounded from inside the dorms before the doors and windows burst open, giving way to a raging wall of saltwater. As Dill gaped at the sight, putting a clawed hand to his head, the torrent slowly subsided, carrying furniture and sea gunk out onto the street from inside the inundated dorms.

He'd used Surf after all, it seemed.

"...crud."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Awkward and hopeless silence passed in the dorm halls as the water poured through them and down the stairs to the lower floors. Someone shrieked from down below. Then, a rushed pitter-patter of some large Pokemon.

There was a gasp--and, at the entrance to the dorm hall was Croviknight Toffee, the Guild receptionist. "Wh... what... have you... done?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Toffee was trembling and her eyes were wide. "Did you not... read the sign? Or did you... ignore it... Do you have any idea... how much damage this causes? How much work goes into cleaning it out? Have you... even... THOUGHT?"

Toffee shook even more and the winds were picking up. A nearby bed flopped out of one of the rooms, and that tore it. Toffee let out an unholy screech and flew toward Dill.

Toffee is attacking!
HP: There is no escape.

<><><>​

R11 ~ Interview with Brisa

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
After the somewhat rough encounter with Toffee and the following cleanup of battle debris and the water that started the whole mess, the lounge was back in working order, and Cream wasn't any the wiser to what might have happened there.

Instead, the Luxray smiled at the other. "Well, this seems like a good spot, like you said."

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Uhuh."

Brisa returned the smile, and her ears only burned a little bit. Cream was only member of her line she'd ever met whose voice was soft. Brisa bit her cheek and pushed the thought away. She found a comfortable cushion to loaf on, and inclined her head to the lounge fridge.

"Help yerself to refreshment if y'care to. Don't mind folks that pass by, but we ain't likely to see many this time of day in any case."

Her tail gently flicked from side to side.

"So, uh. I ain't done this sorta thing before. I'll have to follow yer lead, Cream!"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"That won't be a problem," Cream said, and it looked like she was already getting her supplies ready, particularly her recording badge. She'd prompted Brisa about it prior and it being standard procedure to take notes later.

"I think I have a good starter," she said. "Now, that's all set... Okay! This is the interview with Luxray Brisket of Team Spectrum, known formally as Brisa Escarpa." After taking the notes down, she smiled at Brisa and asked, "And with that... Tell me a little about yourself! What do you do back home?"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Alright, here we go...

"Back home, I'm a frontier ranger. That's partway law enforcement, partway rescue services. Not too different from what y'all have here in the form of Guilds, though the Ranger Union operates a lil' differently. I work solo, though not by choice, so it can be pretty tough. Most of my duties are patrols an' keepin' an eye on vulnerable travellers, but every now an' again some outlaw with ambition decides to make my town their target. That's quite the change of pace, I can tell ya."

She smiled, a little wistfully.

"When I ain't workin', I guess y'could say I'm a big reader. I have the time. I guess most of my downtime back home was spent with a novella or a manual of some kind, read by th'light of a campfire 'neath the stars. Spent a lotta nights that way."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa nodded, and bit back a sigh. That follow-up was inevitable, huh.

"Yeah. My parents were the Omen Heroes of their generation, an' when they retired, they became the ranger team of Frontier Town. Pa left home one night, an' Ma went to become clan chief after that, leavin' me to take on ranger duties. I've tried applyin' to the Union fer a partner, but they won't send anyone 'less I get a reference from the local government, an' the mayor won't give me one 'cause I turned down his son's advances when I was thirteen."

She scoffed, but it was a sad sound.

"I ain't even kiddin'. That's a seven year grudge. So, yeah, I only got myself to depend on. That's okay, though. Someone's gotta do the job, and the job is more important than I am."

Was it, though?

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
You wanna be adored, right? Yer desperate t'be told 'well done', 'you did a good job', 'I'm proud of you, Brisa'. Y'just want people to love you.

"Appreciation, I guess?" she said, hesitantly. "I don't mean, like, accolades. I mean folks' thanks. The sense that I made a difference to 'em. That the time I put in was worthwhile. Whether they're someone I saved, or a colleague I helped, I wanna feel like I'm doin' what I'm meant t'be doin' . . . and doin' it well at that. It's somethin' I mostly got back home in the form of rote platitudes, but on Cibus, I get the sense I'm wanted. Workin' in Team Spectrum makes me feel like I belong. That's more'n worth every effort I can give."

Brisa looked at Cream, and tried not to think too hard about how she'd probably done countless interviews like this with famed heroes of Cibus. How can I compare to that?

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"That's a very noble thing to desire if your whole job is helping," Cream said. "I see that in a lot of people in forces like the one you're part of--both as a ranger and as part of Team Spectrum. But... I need to ask, Brisket. It sounds as though back home, you don't get that same thanks despite all the work you surely do to help. What's different in your world compared to Cibus?"

There was no doubt that the people of Cibus were intensely curious about the worlds their heroes had come from.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa smiled ruefully. It wasn't in her nature to spill folks' failings to other people's faces, but hey, who from Cibus would ever meet the inhabitants of Frontier Town? There was no actual reason to keep quiet.

"Y'all on Cibus have the most wonderful hospitality. Me an' the rest of Diyem's posse were strangers, an' strange ones at that, with strange auras an' strange behaviour. We've made social missteps, we've taken advantage of yer generosity, we've been good enough cause to feel some mistrust. But we've been made welcome here nonetheless, given homes, food, an' thanks.

"Back where I'm from, politeness is everythin', but compassion is ill-afforded to anyone who ain't been raised in the community. I'm not considered 'one of the local folks', 'cause my ma is from a nomad clan an' my pa is a human. Folks'll do business with me, but I ain't never been invited anywhere, been offered anyone's time, or given anythin' fer free. I gotta work twice as hard as a townie just to get a fair price fer my services, an' I have to do that, 'cause I can't charge innocents what need protectin' but ain't got coin t'pay fer it.

"That's the difference between this world an' mine. When you do the right thing here, even if you try to do right by people but fail, people will see you as someone with a good heart. Where I'm from, it don't matter how good yer intentions or how impressive yer results. If y'ain't the right type of person, you'll never be trusted. On Cibus . . . I feel like people treat each other fairly. People give me a chance."

Brisa decided to leave it there, on a positive note, rather than talk about the hangings.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"That's awful," Cream remarked. "A thankless world like that... I do hope there's a way you can turn things around. But a society like that could take time... I can't even imagine. Does your world have any leaders that could possibly make that change? If you're so strong and so prominent... do they simply take you for granted? What would happen if you simply... stopped helping them, if they mistreat you so?"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa blanched. The thought was... No, she'd never considered it. Could never. Just not help people? No, no, that was plain wrong.

"Come live with us. We're your people. More than they are."

"Someone needs to look after them! The town needs a ranger. At least until they find someone else—"

"They won't. So long as you do the work, they will give you the least they can afford. This is their way."

"Well it ain't mine. I'm keepin' them safe, even if you're leavin'!"

"Oh, daughter. I am leaving."

"Well, I used to think that without me, innocent folks would suffer, and it would be my responsibility fer leavin' 'em defenseless. I still feel like I could never turn down a person in need. But I guess if I quit..."

Her stomach lurched at the very notion.

"Well, then they'd have no choice but to appoint a new ranger. An' it ain't like I couldn't keep helpin' the truly needy, just 'cause I'd be a civilian. I could even become some other town's ranger..."

Her whole body was racing, her heart thumping wildly at the forbidden idea. The town needed her. Didn't it?

"I've never felt I could turn my back even on folks that don't respect me. But... Maybe I oughta."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"I imagine there would be many places that would be more grateful of your help," Cream said, though she said it delicately. Not like she knew the whole story, after all, and this interview was going to be part of a series of them with Team Spectrum. There was a lot to talk about.

"I heard," Cream said, "that your team as a whole might lose their memories of here when they return. Your leader, Diyem, mentioned that there was only a chance that any of this would remain, at least until this... hero's aura goes away. But if you're one of the ones who might be able to retain some of this when you return... What would you tell yourself? What is one thing in your mind you'd want to bring home?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom