• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Overgrow Forest

Status
Not open for further replies.

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
"Not a god," Shaymin said softly, so soft it was barely audible. Her tone sounded resigned, a little sad. She continued to another bush, carefully stepping around a small patch of sickly looking grass with a wary glance. It almost appeared burnt, but not by fire or electricity, but perhaps something like acid. After she'd saved bush and grew out some flowers, she started towards a tree, then paused, eyeing all the assembled pokemon and humans. "...Do you require help?" she asked hesitantly.

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
"Should we maybe keep moving?" Jade asked tentatively. "Since Shaymin wouldn't be hanging around here... is there anywhere more, I don't know... peaceful?"
thinking face.png
"Hmm," Steven hummed in thought. "Perhaps we should."

He checked his watch, and gave a heavy sigh. The forest was so expensive, and the day was getting late. "Chances are slim we'll find anything, but it can't hurt to try--"

Then, as natural as ever, a small white and green hedgehog trotted out from the brush. It barely gave a glance to the abssembled folk, instead surveying the forest. Starting with a half obliterated oran berry shrub, she stepped up to it, a green glow surrounding her. Leaves on the bush began to grow back, new sprouts slowly forming. After roughly half the bush had grown back, she stopped, evidently satisfied, and started to head towards the next detroyed plant.
surprise.png
Aggron's startled snort cut off his trainer, and he was torn between making a scene to get Steven to turn around and look, and staying perfectly still so as to not scare off the tiny Mythical.

It turns out he had to do neither, as Steven noticed his partner's laser focus at something just over his shoulder. Laura's wide eyed stare certainly didn't hurt either.

Slowly, he turned and wordlessly watched as Shaymin restored life to a small shrub, stems growing and leaves forming and small flowers bursting to life.

After she'd saved bush and grew out some flowers, she started towards a tree, then paused, eyeing all the assembled pokemon and humans. "...Do you require help?" she asked hesitantly.
shocked.png
"Y-yes," he stammered, voice low as if he was hesitant to speak any louder than Shaymin herself. "A friend of mine, he said you....you were a healer. And some pokemon, they fell ill..."

He hesitated. No, this was wrong. Shaymin had her own problems restoring the forest, protecting her home from the danger. He couldn't ask her to leave and help them.

eyes closed pensive.png
"I'm sorry," he shook his head. "I can't trouble you when you've got enough to worry about here."

@Flyg0n

Last edited:

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
"Y-yes," he stammered, voice low as if he was hesitant to speak any louder than Shaymin herself. "A friend of mine, he said you....you were a healer. And some pokemon, they fell ill..."

He hesitated. No, this was wrong. Shaymin had their own problems restoring the forest, protecting her home from the danger. He couldn't ask her to leave and help them.

eyes closed pensive.png

"I'm sorry," he shook his head. "I can't trouble you when you've got enough to worry about here."

Shaymin stared at him placidly. The moment stretched on. "Who?" she asked finally. She turned away and started healing the plants again, though her ears remained pricked as she waited for an answer. "Who do you need to heal?"

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
Shaymin stared at him placidly. The moment stretched on. "Who?" she asked finally. She turned away and started healing the plants again, though her ears remained pricked as she waited for an answer. "Who do you need to heal?"
worried.png
Steven drew in a tentative breath. She'd asked. She'd offered in light of her being needed here. This was their chance, to help Clink, to help their host, to help everyone get home.

"Clink," he said, nearly in a whisper. "A Klefki named Clink. And his friend Orzo. A Hoopa. They were poisoned, but we don't know how or by what."

@Flyg0n

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
View attachment 4298
Steven drew in a tentative breath. She'd asked. She'd offered in light of her being needed here. This was their chance, to help Clink, to help their host, to help everyone get home.

"Clink," he said, nearly in a whisper. "A Klefki named Clink. And his friend Orzo. A Hoopa. They were poisoned, but we don't know how or by what."

@Flyg0n

Shaymin perked up at Clink's name. "Clink has been poisoned? Then I will help." She trotted up to Steven and bowed her tiny head, touching her nose to the ground. A soft green light glowed, and then a single pink gracidea flower bloomed. "This flower may be enough to heal them."

She paused and glanced around the area. "A strong poison was used here. Very strong." Her gaze trailed over the patches of grass, flecked with brown and dying. "Whatever caused this poison may be connected."

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
There was no fanfare. With the gentle shuffling of paws, Shaymin had appeared, tending to the destroyed greenery with something like an air of sadness. It was like the world had frozen around it. Jade didn't dare move. Even Nine was just watching quietly.

It was strange to think that such a tiny, unassuming Pokemon was a legend. Even if it shouldn't have been that weird. After all, Mew wasn't much different. But she'd grown up with stories about Mew's power and history, and Shaymin didn't have a big presence in Kanto.

When Shaymin offered to help, Jade let out a huge sigh of relief. But then, something didn't add up. If the poison here was connected to Clink and Orzo being poisoned... then it wasn't from Roserade putting up a defense?

Jade took a deep breath. "Do you know what sort of poison could have affected a steel-type like Clink?" she asked quietly, averting her eyes.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Jade took a deep breath. "Do you know what sort of poison could have affected a steel-type like Clink?" she asked quietly, averting her eyes.

Shaymin turned and looked up at Jade, before letting her gaze drift across the forest, which even now appeared to be healing slowly. She trotted over and sniffed at a patch of grass, her nose wrinkling immediately. She began to examine the other patches of grass, talking softly as she walked, her tone somber. "Steel-types are immune to battle poison. But the natural poisons of a pokemon may still be effective..."

She returned to stand in front of Jade. "The poison here. Its very potent. It appears to be from a Roserade... but it is very strong. The Roserade intended to harm their target."

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
Shaymin perked up at Clink's name. "Clink has been poisoned? Then I will help." She trotted up to Steven and bowed her tiny head, touching her nose to the ground. A soft green light glowed, and then a single pink gracidea flower bloomed. "This flower may be enough to heal them."
Steven waited for Shaymin to move back from the gracidea flower before offering her a bow, hand over his heart.

smile_eyes closed.png
"Thank you," he said, "for offering your aid."

Steven stepped back from the gracedia as Aggron arrived at his side. The big steel type leaned down, studying the delicate petals with what seemed to be reverence. Then, gently, he reached out and plucked the flower from its stem, cradling the bloom in his claws. It looked tiny, fragile in Aggron's cupped palms, but there was no danger of him crushing it. He would protect the flower until it reached its destination.

neutral look down.png
"Forgive me," Steven began, addressing Shaymin once more, "but how familiar are you with Orzo? You knew Clink by name, but not him? He's also one of Mr. Montorzi's partners. Have you met before?"

Last edited:

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
"I have met the Hoopa, yes. But Clink is my friend." Shaymin stepped away from a tree, the eletrical scar now healed. "Orzosquiselin is not my friend." They paused, a lingering silence filling the air. "I am sorry. I should not dislike a fellow mythical pokemon, or speak ill of them. We all have roles to play. I have no reason to dislike him, it is nothing more than a vague, silly feeling."

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
"I have met the Hoopa, yes. But Clink is my friend." Shaymin stepped away from a tree, the eletrical scar now healed. "Orzosquiselin is not my friend." They paused, a lingering silence filling the air. "I am sorry. I should not dislike a fellow mythical pokemon, or speak ill of them. We all have roles to play. I have no reason to dislike him, it is nothing more than a vague, silly feeling."
eyes closed neutral.png
"Thank you again for satisfying my curiosity, and I apologize for prying into your personal matters," said Steven, quietly.

He glanced around the forest clearing, noticing how dark it was getting beneath the eaves of the surrounding trees. A chill traveled up his spine, a tingle of something he would rather not admit was fear.

worried.png
"It's getting late. We shouldn't be out after dark. We'll deliver this flower to Clink first thing in the morning, I promise."

neutral face.png
Aggron took a step back and lowered himself to the ground, low enough that he could touch his own snout to the earth like Shaymin had done.

He breathed in the scent of soil and peat, he felt the cool moisture on his nose. The gracedia was nestled safe against his breast. "Thank you for this gift of life," he said simply. "I will protect it with my own."

He rose, and left the clearing along with Steven, but not before giving one long, last look over his shoulder at where Shaymin continued her work, restoring life to the forest that had suffered so much.

Seren

Lurking
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. sableye
It was a little unsettling that they were talking battle strategies. It hadn't saved anyone so far... but Kimiko supposed if they had to eventually confront this thing, they might still have a chance in a group. "Olivia's my team's heavy hitter, anyway. Got calm mind and shadow ball, and we just learned dazzling gleam. If we're considering the possibility of battling this thing, though, I think we have plenty of competent battlers among our ranks. I'm more concerned about the defensive end of things."

She paused to think. The biggest problem they'd face was... "First, we'll have to figure out a way to neutralize that flash that's been blinding everyone. Olivia could just usually sense any foes, but if this really is a hoopa, I don't know if she'd be able to sense it if it changed forms to a dark-type. And... that wouldn't help anyone else but herself, really."

"A Hoopa?" Steven repeated. "Like Orzo? Or Orzo himself? I hate to suspect one of our host's own pokemon, but Jenny's notes did say the dyes were used to make the same colors that Hoopa are..."

She listened further as they discussed possibilities of who the culprit was; consensus seemed to lean towards orzo himself being somehow involved. Might as well throw her voice in there for consideration, despite generally agreeing with what was being said. "It never made any sense to me for there to be another hoopa involved. If the culprit is pretending to be a hoopa, why would they then poison the pokemon they're masquerading as? That would just blow their cover."

After a moment's pause, Jade realized that she should probably relay what he'd said for the humans who didn't know Pokespeesh. "I... think this is a sign we should practice some new moves. Maybe something like Play Rough? Or something for trapping, like that one electric net move... Or Sleep Talk, in case of sleep?" The options were dizzying.

"A trapping move would honestly be pretty beneficial. I don't think we have access to many of those." Again, she stopped to think... one of the trainers had a nosepass with block, but that had already proven ineffective... not to mention the fact that he wasn't on their ship, so she still had that nagging doubt as to his trustworthiness. "I think the only one on our side with a trapping move that we can trust is possibly that girl with the ninetales. Which means if we got into a battle, they'd be a huge target. Having more than one trapper would be really handy."

Then, as natural as ever, a small white and green hedgehog trotted out from the brush.

Kimiko simply fell into silence and stared as another mythical pokemon just... casually walked into their midst. And then completely ignored them as it went about healing the area. After a few minutes, the shaymin eventually spoke. Kimiko stayed silent; she'd already engaged with one mythic so far, she was content to let someone else have a turn. Even so, Steven was the one to respond to it. She agreed to help Clink, and then...

Shaymin turned and looked up at Jade, before letting her gaze drift across the forest, which even now appeared to be healing slowly. She trotted over and sniffed at a patch of grass, her nose wrinkling immediately. She began to examine the other patches of grass, talking softly as she walked, her tone somber. "Steel-types are immune to battle poison. But the natural poisons of a pokemon may still be effective..."

She returned to stand in front of Jade. "The poison here. Its very potent. It appears to be from a Roserade... but it is very strong. The Roserade intended to harm their target."

"Wait, there's a difference between battle poison and natural poison?" Her voice was loud compared to Steven and Jade, a result of her disbelief. She shrunk back with a slight blush on her face; still, from her perspective, it was a valid question. She'd never heard of such a thing... but perhaps it was just a feature of this particular universe?

"I am sorry. I should not dislike a fellow mythical pokemon, or speak ill of them. We all have roles to play. I have no reason to dislike him, it is nothing more than a vague, silly feeling."

Steven seemed content with Shaymin's answers, but Kimiko was not. As he left the group, she addressed Shaymin again herself. "Sorry, this might not be any of my business, but... I feel it's important not to rule out anything at this point. Could you elaborate on this feeling you have? About Orzo?"
[[ @Flyg0n ]]

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
View attachment 4302
"Thank you again for satisfying my curiosity, and I apologize for prying into your personal matters," said Steven, quietly.

He glanced around the forest clearing, noticing how dark it was getting beneath the eaves of the surrounding trees. A chill traveled up his spine, a tingle of something he would rather not admit was fear.

View attachment 4301
"It's getting late. We shouldn't be out after dark. We'll deliver this flower to Clink first thing in the morning, I promise."

View attachment 4303
Aggron took a step back and lowered himself to the ground, low enough that he could touch his own snout to the earth like Shaymin had done.

He breathed in the scent of soil and peat, he felt the cool moisture on his nose. The gracedia was nestled safe against his breast. "Thank you for this gift of life," he said simply. "I will protect it with my own."

He rose, and left the clearing along with Steven, but not before giving one long, last look over his shoulder at where Shaymin continued her work, restoring life to the forest that had suffered so much.

For the first time that evening, Shaymin smiled properly. "Thank you."

Perhaps there was still hope, Shaymin reflected, watching as Steven and Aggron left.

"Wait, there's a difference between battle poison and natural poison?" Her voice was loud compared to Steven and Jade, a result of her disbelief. She shrunk back with a slight blush on her face; still, from her perspective, it was a valid question. She'd never heard of such a thing... but perhaps it was just a feature of this particular universe?
Shaymin tipped her head. "Yes. I apologize, I should not have assumed you would be aware. I don't know what other universe are like, but here Pokemon here are capable of either channeling energy into attack techniques, such as the one humans call 'Toxic' or 'Sludge Bomb'. However, most poison types are naturally poisonous as well. Poison from a battle is easy to heal for a healthy pokemon. Natural poison is harder. Longer. Complicated," they said quietly. "All pokemon are like this. A Charizard's natural flame will inflict more pain than a simple Flamethrower."

A troubled look crossed Shaymin's face. "A pokemon does not use their natural abilities unless they truly want to harm another. Or if they fear for their life."

Steven seemed content with Shaymin's answers, but Kimiko was not. As he left the group, she addressed Shaymin again herself. "Sorry, this might not be any of my business, but... I feel it's important not to rule out anything at this point. Could you elaborate on this feeling you have? About Orzo?"

"I do not wish to speak ill of the... sick," Shaymin said. "I just don't know him as well as Clink. It's not a feeling I can describe. Just a sense... The plants, the trees and flowers... they draw away when he comes near." She shivered and shook her head. "I apologize, it is silly not to trust someone because of such things. If he's still sick tomorrow, I'll return with a flower for him as well. It wouldn't be right to let him suffer. I need to recover my energy, but if you come back here and need me, I'll find you."

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Shaymin... did suspect Orzo. At least, that's sure how it sounded. Jade hadn't been sure how to ask, but that last answer pretty much confirmed it.

Nine glanced up at her. "*We need to investigate the Hoopa,*" he said in a low voice.

"What? Not while he's sick," Jade whispered back. Nine gave her a skeptical look, and she went on, "Look, that flower can heal Clink and he can tell us more about what happened, and then Xanthian might let us talk to Orzo."

Nine clearly didn't seem to think that permission was necessary, but he nodded anyway.

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Laura watched as the exchange took place, trying to memorise the details. Modest and unassuming as Shaymin was, she was clearly an extraordinary being. 'God', she didn't know about, but extraordinary, most certainly. Malachai remained quiet, possibly disconcerted by Shaymin's response to his private sending to Laura, and Sleet hadn't moved from her rigid stupor. Then the noivern's sensitive ears pricked towards Jade and her pikachu.

<Nine is right,> he sent, softly. <The truth, and everyone's safety, lie with what we may learn from Orzo.>

"Can't hurt to heal Clink and ask what happened," muttered Laura.

She wondered when May and Spirit had intended on carrying out their own plan, and whether they may already be enacting it.​

<><><><>​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom