• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[INNOCENTS WIN] Grand Opening Fanfic Mafia - Game Thread

Virgil134

PMD Writer
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. weavile
  3. kommo-o
  4. noivern
  5. mothim
Cabot listened to Mia’s story, and while the idea of there being two versions of her sounded a bit peculiar, she did sound genuine. Besides, given everything that already happened, was it really that strange? Though there was something he still wondered…

"So… if you and Dave are from different worlds, then what happened to your Dave? And how did you end up here if the Mafia didn’t take you?"

As the words left his mouth, Cabot heard Hecto talking to him and turned to the Zygarde to respond.

"Well, ideally I don't wanna vote for anyone if we don't know for sure that he's guilty, but…" Cabot began, as glanced at Loki and Lachlan who were still silent. "I think I will. I mean there's nobody here who clearly seems like a bad guy, but Loki and Lachlan are the only ones I know nothing about. I get that we have to jail somebody today, so in that case it seems better to imprison someone who refuses to talk than accuse someone of lying when there isn’t any real evidence. I mean if Loki and Lachlan don't have anything to hide, why would they act so mysterious and refuse to tell anything about themselves? And they did try to imprison Dave."

((Gonna wait until the end of the day to vote, so that way Umbra and qva still have time to RP and maybe change my mind. Though I will say that if nothing happens, I’m voting for Lachlan for the simple reason that Loki at least said something. I read qva’s post and while I’m glad she understands where I’m coming from, it didn’t really convince me that Lachlan and Loki are innocent. My rationale for suspecting them was that they were both quiet, and voted for Dave. The arguments qva made in her post seem to assume they’re only suspects for being inactive, which is false. So the arguments don’t really hold up in my opinion.))

kyeugh

you gotta feel your lines
Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
(( i really, genuinely do not have time to write an rp post today. like i said, if you want to lynch me for that, more power to you i guess, but it's a bogus reason and i don't feel like i really need to defend myself against it.

that said, i don't really see how my argument "doesn't hold up" when the case against me is that i'm quiet and voted for dave, the latter of which i did because i'm averse to abstaining day zero, which no one took issue with at the time. i continue to find it scummy, honestly, that you're pushing this hard on me and labelling my "arguments" as unconvincing when the reasoning implicating me in the first place is already weak, particularly when it's been stated that i'm busy/won't be able to post in detail today. i said this already but pushing on town who hasn't spoken much (ie has generated the least amount of potentially implicating information, and whose alignment reveal upon death would contribute the least information to town) is a VERY easy move for scum to make, especially when you don't expect the person you're casting suspicion on to be able to respond soon.

so i have a very bad feeling about you just based on this, tbh. i've read through the thread a bit and i would agree that walrein seems somewhat suspect as well— certainly psyduck has SAID a lot and some of it has the appearance of being useful, but walrein also strikes me as an experienced player, so i definitely think it could be just a lot of words to appear towny without any real substance.

one last note: you guys are apparently suspect of everyone who voted on dave, i guess, because it holds up that mafia would of course WANT to get a free townie kill. however, all the scum piling on someone would flip villager day one, ESPECIALLY when the thread majority is voting to abstain, is glaringly heavy-handed and obvious. not saying it's worthless to look into, but i don't think it's that incriminating.

tldr: i think pushing on quiet members, especially ones who have indicated they won't be able to defend themselves, is kind of scummy, and i definitely think the suspicion on umbra and i, while partially valid, is also a convenient diversion and is kind of weird to double down on. tentative psyduck vote.

rp later? maybe? i don't know. i will try my best but i really can't make any promises. just writing this is kind of a pinch. imagine layering it behind a narrative, lol. also i didn't proofread pls no judge.))

The Walrein

Vicinal Dragging for the Truth
Partners
  1. gulpin
  2. kricketot
  3. bulbasaur
I was going to post that M&F's theory seemed silly to me because I didn't think anyone would take that joke post into consideration at all, but apparently not. Still, I'm pretty sure that if someone wanted to try to cast suspicion on me, they'd would've simply eliminated M&F or Namohysip, so I'm pretty sure M&F's theory is incorrect. And I think that having a heuristic of being suspicious of anyone who uses humor seems like a good way to make the game a lot less fun.

If we're going to vote for one of the people who haven't been doing much, I think the metric we should use is "who hasn't been contributing any actual analysis", instead of just who hasn't been posting much. So I think that we should consider Sike Saner, Nebula Dreams, and Virgil134 as suspicious as Umbramatic and qva in that regard. And actually, reading qva's last post, it seems like they're starting to do real analysis. I still sort of think my 'splitting the vote' theory as as to why Delirious Absol was chosen might have some merit, so I'm a little leery of voting for them. Of the three that remain, I guess I have to admit that 'amount of any kind of posting' might be a good tiebreaker. So right now I'm casting my vote for Sike Saner.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Starr’s boots hit the ground again, chair clattering so hard it might have broken this time. “Yep. That settles it. I was waiting for something, and it happened. I am now dead convinced that Psyduck is guilty.”

M&F

emerald girl
Mia raised an eyebrow. "How did you end up here?"

[[ooc: I'm in a bit of a rush so that'll be all the RP, but now onto the meat of it:

I'm not really convinced by qva/Lachlan's defense of being inactive there -- like, being inactive is definitely not alignment indicative, which is also what makes it a tempting (if incorrect) move for scum in the first place, but lynching inactives is really not just a convenient mislynch. it's, at best, a way to catch mafiosi who otherwise won't talk enough to offer an opening, and at worst, a relatively low-impact mislynch. and for someone who is purpotedly pro-lynching someone, I find it strange to be assuming that picking one good reason to lynch is indicative of being mafia attempting to push a mislynch. I really figure that, as a town player, the likeliest response to this situation would have been to be like "sorry, guys, I haven't been able to stay active for X reasons", without the whole thesis on why not inactive mislynch.

I still really don't think Virgil's judgement of alignment based on quantity of RP is on the money -- and as Walrein pointed out, RPing a lot and contributing little can be a pretty functional smokescreen for scum -- but it strikes me as an error instead of intentional misplay.

also, guys, when I point out something the mafia may have been trying to get the town to do, the correct response is not to go ahead and do it]]

kyeugh

Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
[[ ummm. all right. i'm just going to lay down the sequence of events that is occurring here as clearly as possible, because i don't really understand how this implicates me in any way that actually makes sense.

- i start out inactive/uninvested because i am in the middle of a move and the amount of text in this thread is enormous. i don't really say anything about it but try to pitch in where i can because i don't want to just sit silently through the game.

- eventually and somewhat suddenly, i'm being called out for inactivity (okay, makes sense), and that it makes me a prime candidate for getting chopped (uh, okay.). also, i voted for dave the previous night. (for the record, i'd like to point out that laying under the radar and appearing only to vote noncommittally on a bandwagon is a very BAD way to play mafia, and is kind of too obvious to be realistic, hehe.)

- i respond that, sorry about that, i just haven't been around because i'm in the middle of stuff and this thread is kind of an investment to get through. additionally, i say that i don't think going after inactives is really a productive route to take anyway, for reasons i have already iterated but will reiterate momentarily.

- reiterating that the only arguments against me are a vote that half the board made, and the fact that i haven't been active. piping up apparently isn't enough to dispel this scumread that people are getting on me, i guess. i respond that, no, i'm actually busy, don't have time to rp (and think that rp volume is a really bad metric of towniness in the first place), and still don't think that lynching inactives is a productive course of action.

this (i think?) leads into the present, where we have an MF vote on me apparently because she disagrees with me that lynching inactives is bad, which i guess makes me scummy? i still honestly don't see how i'm more suspect than, like, anyone else at this point... LOTS of people made a dave vote, and i'm being active NOW even if i wasn't before. why exactly am i being sused at this point...? none of these arguments i'm hearing about why i'm scummy really hold up under scrutiny, as far as i can tell.

also, MF, you say that the likeliest town response would be to just say "sorry, busy, haven't been keeping up" and to leave it at that. if someone is being suspected for not contributing, how is copping out as easily as possible without providing any accountability or analysis actually a good town player move?

anyway, moving on from that, i'm going to go back over why lynching inactives isn't great. it seems like the feeling is that lynching inactives is okay because, like, you know, it's no major loss if it's a mislynch, right? they weren't talking that much in the first place. which, okay, true, it probably won't have much of an impact on the total amount of discussion being generated, but this is exactly why it's a bad idea. broadly speaking, the reason you elect to lynch someone is because you think there is a decent chance they may be mafia. (currently my understanding is that the reasons i might be mafia are that i was inactive [i am no longer inactive atm hehe], and that i voted dave, which many other people did. so i'm not really understanding that aspect of the train.) anyway, there are two possible outcomes of a lynch:

- the person lynched flips mafia, and their previous messages can be reanalzyed to discern connections between them and potential scum partners;
- or the person lynched flips innocent, and the messages surrounding their bandwagon can be analyzed to discern likely wolves pushing it.

lynching an inactive just because they're inactive does neither of these things, because there is not much discussion coming from or at them to pick apart. so, okay, maybe there is a minimal chance that i am actually mafia, but it doesn't seem to me like any of you ACTUALLY believe that beyond just thinking i'm your "best option" or whatever... and idk, i'm hearing "yeah, inactivity isn't necessarily alignment indicative" and "yeah, i don't think we can say anyone is scum for voting for dave," but somehow both of these things are incriminating when applied to me, since i'm already on the spot here.

so yes, lynching an inactive has minimal impact. that is exactly why it's bad. you don't WANT minimal impact lynches, because they generate the smallest amount of information to analyze. THAT'S why they're advantageous to scum— lynching inactives seems appealing even to true town because it's "no real loss," but the aftermath doesn't really provide very much useful information. free kill.

so, uh, yeah. idk. going for players you have barely information on vs players who have lots of spew to analyze is not that advantageous. minimum impact is not what you want, because it generates the smallest amount of information. and honestly? shooting in the dark is always your worst option. i think there is enough information to work with here that it's not our only one, too.

anyway. chibi, i'm interested in what you have against walrein. i think i could use some of your certainty about scumminess, lol.

once again, no proofreading here, pls no judge.]]

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
"Look, are you seeing that fucking Loki thing ignoring me, continuing to say nothing of worth and dodge all questioning, and, like, suspiciously specifically denying seeing Infinite last night? No?" Dave scratched at his scalp. "I don't know, it's at the point where they're so obviously dodgy it kind of can't be real, but God, if we fucking jail somebody else and it turns out it really was them I'm going to strangle somebody."

He threw a glare towards Loki and then sighed as the discussion continued, drumming his fingers in agitation as people discussed the targeting of Infinite and who voted which way, mostly ignoring the grinning troll of a legendary shapeshifter. Meanwhile, Mia started to stare uncomfortably at people. "Hey, Mia, cool down."

At Cabot's question to her, though, he spoke. "Yeah, uh, it definitely wasn't the fucking mafia that got her over in my universe." Then, an uncomfortable glance at Mia as she started to make threats; he gritted his teeth. "Mia, if you even are her. Please just fucking stop."

Finally, at Cabot's speech, he sighed. "I don't know that the whole mafia would've voted for me yesterday. Seems a bit fucking obvious. Wouldn't they try to split themselves up a bit? And Lachlan may have voted for me, but he voted for the same reason Starr did. Like, I'd fucking love it if anyone who suspected me were inherently suspect, but that's not how any of this works. Lachlan hasn't been the most talkative person here, but what he's said sounds mostly reasonable to me - frustrated, but you know, that's normal."

He paused. "Meanwhile, I'm not sure I buy that Psyduck's necessarily trying to distract us by being fucking bonkers and wanting to jail the Sobble or anything. But her logic's just been all over the place and I don't like it, randomly fixating on shit like how the mafia'd try to incriminate her by killing Mia or Hecto, and saying Cabot hasn't been giving any analysis when he's been doing that, and treating it like the less talkative people are an interchangeable group, ignoring what everyone else has been saying about them. It's like she's not really repsonding to any of what people have actually been saying, even when she's being suspected by people, and that feels like she's trying to shallowly appear to be helping while directing the discussion elsewhere, without looking too defensive. I'd really like to see her actually respond to the ongoing discussion here and defend herself."

He looked up at Starr. "That being said, I'm not sure I quite follow you here. What were you waiting for?"

((OOC, I find qva's frustration and defensiveness here quite similar to how she acted in another game I recently played with her, where we lynched her and she turned out to be town, which makes me considerably less inclined to vote for her.

M&F, not sure I follow the logic of "theoretically it'd be convenient for the mafia to push this player, therefore this clears them"? Is there an extra step in your reasoning that I'm not getting?))

kyeugh

Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
[[ also that was a giant fucking wallpost, lol. i am unexpectedly free for the rest of the day. will probably write up an rp post later. sorry i'm being difficult about the writing aspect here, i kind of bit off more than i could chew with this game and thought the rp was going to be significantly lighter. still going to try my best here. ]]

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
((Out with friends for the day, will have WORDS later (thank you dragonfree for pointing out some things that bothered me tho))

((lmao I’m gonna get knifed tonight but hey I’m having fun.))

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
((Wait, to be clear, do you mean you'll be able to post before the end of the day or not?))

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
((Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the day is going to end in about 2 hours and 40 minutes as of this post))

the reason you elect to lynch someone is because you think there is a decent chance they may be mafia

The words on the wind made Hecto's ears twitch. "I'm curious what your subconscious thoughts mean, Lachlan," he said. "I imagine that most of us are simply stating that your silence on the matter--well, your previous silence, I suppose--was all we had to go by. I'm eager to go for someone more overtly suspicious, but I'd rather not vote to try to rid someone who has been helpful in terms of their advice... or seemingly helpful.

"But... I must agree that I am a tad... irritated, at least in retrospect, at being accused so suddenly by Psyduck the day prior. And in fact, Psyduck seems quite eager in general to... accuse others very quickly. I'm not much of a fan of such a scattershot method."

But Hecto looked at Starr. "What has you convinced that Psyduck is guilty? What were you waiting for?"

Virgil134

PMD Writer
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. weavile
  3. kommo-o
  4. noivern
  5. mothim
((Whew, things sure are getting spicy in here! I sure hope nobody is taking anything personal, since that would be rather silly, now wouldn’t it? After all, we’re playing a party game where suspecting and accusing each other is the whole point!

Now then qva, lemme get to your post first. To be clear, this is the one you made in direct response to mine, since when I started writing this I hadn’t read your current one yet. First off, I’m sorry to hear you won’t have the time to write an RP post today. However, when I signed up for this I told Negrek that I’d strictly choose who to vote for based on what made the most sense from Cabot’s perspective. After all, this is fan fiction Mafia and not regular Mafia, so my decisions will be made depending on what I see from others while RPing and not the OOC stuff. I know that’s not how everyone plays this game, but it is how I personally approach this. Because of that, I won’t be taking any meta stuff into account when it comes to deciding who to vote for. Especially since there’s no way for me to tell how truthful people even are when talking OOC. These OOC posts are a good place to lie to your fellow players and from what I’ve seen it’s what typically happens during regular forum Mafia.

Second, the reason I said your arguments don’t hold up is because they were based on an incomplete assumption. In that post, you talked multiple times about why it’s a bad idea to jail people simply because they’re inactive, but you never mentioned the fact you had Lachlan accuse Dave. This is important, since you’re not being suspected for being inactive, but you’re being suspected for being inactive and voting for Dave, which is not a trivial difference. I know you have acknowledged it now in your post where you replied to me (I’ll get to that in a bit), but you didn’t in your first one, which is what that comment about your arguments not holding up was in respond to.

Also I wanna ask you something before I go on What did you mean exactly when you used the word “scummy”? You see, English isn’t my native language so sometimes I tend to read things the wrong way. I'm trying to assume the best, but if I didn’t know any better I’d read it as you essentially calling your fellow players scumbags because one of the reasons they suspect you is of how inactive you’ve been. That would be more than a little disrespectful and uncalled for, so I doubt that’s what you meant, but that confusion is the reason why I’m asking. Are you referring to something that seems “Mafia-esque” or something? Again, I just don’t want there to be any misunderstandings.

Anyway, let’s talk a bit more in detail about the arguments you’re making in your post responding to mine. Assuming “scum” means “Mafia-esque”, one point you raised as to why you’re not guilty is that Mafia members are more likely to vote for someone who has been quiet because it’s easier for them. I don’t agree with this for two reasons. The first reason is that it would actually be harder for them and not an obvious move at all. Or at least, not this early on in the game. With how little info we got and the fact that RPing does play a big role in this version of Mafia, a more obvious move would be to react to what an Innocent does say and accuse that person based on that. There’s a reason why Dave got so many votes during the previous day. We had nothing to go on, but Dave acted kinda like a douche, so it was as good of a lead as any to some. A similar thing is happening with Walrein (will talk more about how I feel about this theory in a bit), who is being accused because of jokes he made. My point is that it’s easier to convince others to go along with you based on what someone has said rather than something someone hasn’t said. I think it could definitely work later on in the game, but at this point it wouldn’t really make sense for the Mafia to do. The second reason I don’t agree with your argument is that for a Mafia member it’s actually easier to eliminate a quiet Innocent during the night, than try to jail him. Like you said yourself, when a quiet person gets eliminated very little information gets revealed to the town. So rather than trying to convince everyone to vote for somebody based on stuff that person isn’t doing, it’s much easier to just kill that person during the night and give the town as little info as possible the next day. It’s essentially a free kill.

Your second argument about how a Mafia member would more likely not vote for Dave to avoid suspicion is certainly valid, but not one I agree with. You see, while at the end of the day the majority did vote for not jailing anyone, during the voting process things were quite close and there were moments where things were not looking in Dave’s favor. Because of that, voting for Dave is something the Mafia could easily do without seeming suspicious. Looking back at it in retrospect and knowing what the final results are, yeah you can argue that not voting for Dave is an obvious choice to avoid suspicion. But if you take into account the circumstances around the time the votes were cast, it’s not that obvious at all. That’s why I don’t agree with your argument and do think it’s likely the Mafia voted for Dave. I admit it can go either way and my argument isn’t foolproof either, but with what little info we got I do think there’s a greater chance that the Mafia voted for Dave during the previous day.

The third thing of your post I wanted to comment on wasn’t really an argument you made, but still something I thought was worth responding to. Namely the “imagine layering it behind a narrative, lol.” part. As I explained earlier in my post, I personally make my voting decisions based on what makes sense from Cabot’s perspective. I also mentioned that I understand not everyone plays the game this way. To me, the purpose of the game is finding out who the Mafia members are through RPing, but if there’s other players who don’t care about the RPing to that extent and prefer to mostly theorize OOC, then that’s perfectly fine. But the way I read that sentence of yours, you make it sound like you’re making fun of how other people are playing the game, which I honestly think is kinda rude.

To briefly touch on your most recent post, I will say that the way you describe how things happened does not really match up with how you came across to me in your first reply. You never made it clear how busy you really were, never mentioned anything about a move, and your tone definitely did not match up with “sorry about that, i just haven't been around because i'm in the middle of stuff”. If that’s what you intended, then alright I believe you, but I hope you understand that’s not how I perceived you when I responded to your first post. I still haven’t made up my mind who to vote for, and it’s true that you’re active now so maybe you can change my mind. Dragonfree is certainly not doing a bad job at it, but I think acting a little less defensive would do you good… or at least when OOC. If Lachlan’s the type of guy to act defensive in these sort of situations, then that’s perfectly fine of course. Just remember that this is a game, okay?

Anyway, enough about that. Moving on to the Walrein/Psyduck theory! I think it’s actually quite interesting, and if it’s true it would have been a brilliant move from Walrein. I do think it sounds like a bit of stretch, but honestly the same could be said about my theory lol. That said, I think it’s something I rather explore during the next day, since I’m obviously a little biased towards my own theory and rather try that for now.

And to briefly comment on your post M&F, I can definitely understand why you think my judgement isn’t on the money. I’m honestly not 100% sure myself haha. But with what little info we got, we have to do something and I still think my theory is our best bet. Being quiet seems like a pretty good Mafia strategy to me, and it’s something I personally would have done if I was part of the Mafia. So if you combine that with people who have voted for Dave during the previous day, you got a theory based on two potentially suspicious conditions, which I think is more than anything else we got right now. Of course I could easily be wrong about all of this. After all, it’s only Day 2 and we still know so little. If that does happen, then oh well I guess. It’s not something that can really be helped since everything’s a bit of a stretch at this point really. That’s how Mafia works.))

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Day ends in five and a half hours, and I'm pretty sure I'm actually right about that this time, haha.

And yeah, "scum" is sometimes used as another word for Mafia, so in this context "scummy" simply means "something that reminds a player of the Mafia/something a Mafia member might do."

kyeugh

Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
haha, seems like mostly you're just misreading my tone a lot here, i guess. will address things case-by-case but i'm not really intending to be rude here and sorry if it came off that way, this is just the way i'm used to playing mafia, hehe.
Now then qva, lemme get to your post first. To be clear, this is the one you made in direct response to mine, since when I started writing this I hadn’t read your current one yet. First off, I’m sorry to hear you won’t have the time to write an RP post today. However, when I signed up for this I told Negrek that I’d strictly choose who to vote for based on what made the most sense from Cabot’s perspective. After all, this is fan fiction Mafia and not regular Mafia, so my decisions will be made depending on what I see from others while RPing and not the OOC stuff. I know that’s not how everyone plays this game, but it is how I personally approach this. Because of that, I won’t be taking any meta stuff into account when it comes to deciding who to vote for. Especially since there’s no way for me to tell how truthful people even are when talking OOC. These OOC posts are a good place to lie to your fellow players and from what I’ve seen it’s what typically happens during regular forum Mafia.
mm. this explains some of the things you've said a bit better, i guess, although i think it's just fundamentally not how i'm looking at the game. i'm sort of curious how many people are playing the game this way now that you mention it, actually? i hadn't considered it. my understanding was that this is just a normal mafia game with some fanfic-related flavoring for funsies. for me, rping is a bit difficult here because i haven't written lachlan in ages and he's a bit underdeveloped (and some other reasons i'll bring up later, since you mention it later), so i'm really not reading into that stuff so much, and am basically just taking things at face value. if OTHERS are also only taking ic things into account then, uh, this is even more layered than i thought, and i'm going to need to read the thread again with that in mind, hahaha. would anyone else who's playing the game this way mind sounding off? definitely something vital to forming opinions, i think.

Second, the reason I said your arguments don’t hold up is because they were based on an incomplete assumption. In that post, you talked multiple times about why it’s a bad idea to jail people simply because they’re inactive, but you never mentioned the fact you had Lachlan accuse Dave. This is important, since you’re not being suspected for being inactive, but you’re being suspected for being inactive and voting for Dave, which is not a trivial difference. I know you have acknowledged it now in your post where you replied to me (I’ll get to that in a bit), but you didn’t in your first one, which is what that comment about your arguments not holding up was in respond to.
makes sense. kind of. i still don't really agree, but i got into that in the previous post, so i'll leave it there, haha. definitely hearing you loud and clear there, though.

Also I wanna ask you something before I go on What did you mean exactly when you used the word “scummy”? You see, English isn’t my native language so sometimes I tend to read things the wrong way. I'm trying to assume the best, but if I didn’t know any better I’d read it as you essentially calling your fellow players scumbags because one of the reasons they suspect you is of how inactive you’ve been. That would be more than a little disrespectful and uncalled for, so I doubt that’s what you meant, but that confusion is the reason why I’m asking. Are you referring to something that seems “Mafia-esque” or something? Again, I just don’t want there to be any misunderstandings.
yeah, "scum" means "mafia," basically. i might have also referred to them as "wolves" at some point? not sure. sorry if that was unclear, definitely seems like something easy to misread as derogatory, haha. no offense intended.

Anyway, let’s talk a bit more in detail about the arguments you’re making in your post responding to mine. Assuming “scum” means “Mafia-esque”, one point you raised as to why you’re not guilty is that Mafia members are more likely to vote for someone who has been quiet because it’s easier for them. I don’t agree with this for two reasons. The first reason is that it would actually be harder for them and not an obvious move at all. Or at least, not this early on in the game. With how little info we got and the fact that RPing does play a big role in this version of Mafia, a more obvious move would be to react to what an Innocent does say and accuse that person based on that. There’s a reason why Dave got so many votes during the previous day. We had nothing to go on, but Dave acted kinda like a douche, so it was as good of a lead as any to some. A similar thing is happening with Walrein (will talk more about how I feel about this theory in a bit), who is being accused because of jokes he made. My point is that it’s easier to convince others to go along with you based on what someone has said rather than something someone hasn’t said. I think it could definitely work later on in the game, but at this point it wouldn’t really make sense for the Mafia to do.
don't really agree here. forcing suspicions onto someone who can argue back is quite a lot harder than sort of going for inactives instead, since inactives are less likely to argue back, of course. plus, lots of earnest town players don't see why lynching inactives IS bad for town (this conversation is kind of indicative of that, even), which makes it easier for that train to be pushed. depending on how many people are playing the game from a pure rp perspective like you are, you might have a point with dave there, but my feeling is that dave is kind of just understood to be douchey because It's Dave, and the suspicion on him came from somewhere else. honestly, i'm not really sure where, and retrospectively i'm glad we didn't lynch him, because dragonfree is probably my strongest townread at the moment, lol. but yeah, generally speaking, sussing people who are actually present is certainly NOT easier than sort of just shoving on inactives, especially if you're in a game where many players have no qualms about lynching inactives just because they're inactive.

The second reason I don’t agree with your argument is that for a Mafia member it’s actually easier to eliminate a quiet Innocent during the night, than try to jail him. Like you said yourself, when a quiet person gets eliminated very little information gets revealed to the town. So rather than trying to convince everyone to vote for somebody based on stuff that person isn’t doing, it’s much easier to just kill that person during the night and give the town as little info as possible the next day. It’s essentially a free kill.
valid point. i don't think you're wrong about the fact that inactives are also ideal nightkills, but i don't think it precludes trying to get them lynched during the day, either, especially if you think there's a good chance a lynch train on them would succeed. mafia is always going to be going for the cleanest and most convenient kill possible. even if inactives are good night targets, they're still quite good to focus on during the day, too, because people are willing to vote in that direction, so i don't think your argument here really rules it out.

Your second argument about how a Mafia member would more likely not vote for Dave to avoid suspicion is certainly valid, but not one I agree with. You see, while at the end of the day the majority did vote for not jailing anyone, during the voting process things were quite close and there were moments where things were not looking in Dave’s favor. Because of that, voting for Dave is something the Mafia could easily do without seeming suspicious. Looking back at it in retrospect and knowing what the final results are, yeah you can argue that not voting for Dave is an obvious choice to avoid suspicion. But if you take into account the circumstances around the time the votes were cast, it’s not that obvious at all. That’s why I don’t agree with your argument and do think it’s likely the Mafia voted for Dave. I admit it can go either way and my argument isn’t foolproof either, but with what little info we got I do think there’s a greater chance that the Mafia voted for Dave during the previous day.
agreed. it is almost certain that some mafia voted for dave, if not all of them. still, because of how close the call was, i still think that's incidental, and i don't really believe the fact that anyone voted for dave is really a mark against them on its own. basically, even though i agree that scum probably did vote on dave, i don't think the act of voting for dave on its own is alignment indicative in its own right. reading too much in to it isn't going to lead to any seriously strong leads, i don't think, though it is a convenient diversion...

The third thing of your post I wanted to comment on wasn’t really an argument you made, but still something I thought was worth responding to. Namely the “imagine layering it behind a narrative, lol.” part. As I explained earlier in my post, I personally make my voting decisions based on what makes sense from Cabot’s perspective. I also mentioned that I understand not everyone plays the game this way. To me, the purpose of the game is finding out who the Mafia members are through RPing, but if there’s other players who don’t care about the RPing to that extent and prefer to mostly theorize OOC, then that’s perfectly fine. But the way I read that sentence of yours, you make it sound like you’re making fun of how other people are playing the game, which I honestly think is kinda rude.
nah, wasn't making fun of anyone here. my point was just that it took me ages to write up that post even when i was just cutting to the chase and speaking plainly, and it would've taken me ages longer to bury that behind narrative... probably impractically long. the rp aspect is cool and but since i was pressed for time at the moment, it was a bit yeesh wrt to actually writing an rp post, and it's definitely some work to sift through it all, haha. not making fun of anyone about it though. i did sign up for a rp mafia game here :p

To briefly touch on your most recent post, I will say that the way you describe how things happened does not really match up with how you came across to me in your first reply. You never made it clear how busy you really were, never mentioned anything about a move, and your tone definitely did not match up with “sorry about that, i just haven't been around because i'm in the middle of stuff”. If that’s what you intended, then alright I believe you, but I hope you understand that’s not how I perceived you when I responded to your first post. I still haven’t made up my mind who to vote for, and it’s true that you’re active now so maybe you can change my mind. Dragonfree is certainly not doing a bad job at it, but I think acting a little less defensive would do you good… or at least when OOC. If Lachlan’s the type of guy to act defensive in these sort of situations, then that’s perfectly fine of course. Just remember that this is a game, okay?
i know it's just a game, haha. this is just the way i'm used to playing it. i am a bit defensive because getting threatened with a lynch for being quiet, and then getting doubled down on once i actually started talking was fairly alarming. i did not mention a move because i didn't think it was pertinent until i was getting pressed even harder. didn't mean to come off as rude there— again, i think we're just used to playing this game sort of differently from one another, hehe. sorry about that.

Anyway, enough about that. Moving on to the Walrein/Psyduck theory! I think it’s actually quite interesting, and if it’s true it would have been a brilliant move from Walrein. I do think it sounds like a bit of stretch, but honestly the same could be said about my theory lol. That said, I think it’s something I rather explore during the next day, since I’m obviously a little biased towards my own theory and rather try that for now.
never played with walrein, but they seem quite experienced, so i wouldn't put it past them. chibi definitely seems to have some sort of mechanical confirmation, i guess? so we will see where that goes, haha.

anyway, yeah, broadly: sorry if i came off angry or rude or anything like that. i am not angry, i'm just playing the game the way i know how, haha. i still really don't believe that lynching inactives is a smart move at all, though, and we should avoid it if we can... and i think we can. i'll be very interested to hear what chibi has to say. don't really want to say too much more until we get word on that.

kyeugh

Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
The words on the wind made Hecto's ears twitch. "I'm curious what your subconscious thoughts mean, Lachlan," he said. "I imagine that most of us are simply stating that your silence on the matter--well, your previous silence, I suppose--was all we had to go by. I'm eager to go for someone more overtly suspicious, but I'd rather not vote to try to rid someone who has been helpful in terms of their advice... or seemingly helpful."
Lachlan's eyebrows basically shoot up off his forehead. "Eh? You can hear my thoughts!?" Suddenly he looks quite sheepish. He shoves his hands into his pockets. "Uhh... Well, if that's the case, you probably know what I'm thinking, I guess? Literally. Haha." No one laughs. "Uh, anyway, yeah. It would suck to jail someone who's spoken up a lot, but I also think that's the only real path to success. I mean, throwing people away just because they're quiet doesn't really make sense to me. We have some wiggle room here, I think... Who knows what anyone's reason is for being quiet? Maybe they're afraid? I guess it's possible that one of the culprits here is laying low, but if that's true, well... Aren't quiet people prime targets for being eliminated, themselves? So if one of the quieter among us continues sticks around abnormally long, I guess we'll have reason to be suspicious then. It's pretty early for that, though, isn't it?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
((Just to be clear, any time Hecto makes a stupid reference to "hearing thoughts" or "words on the wind," that's just my ic interpretation of the ooc chatter happening in the interdimensional plane. I imagine that's what everyone hears to an extent.))

"Hmm... that much is true," Hecto agreed. "It is fairly early, all things considered. But I am beginning to suspect the winds are changing." He looked to Starr, awaiting an explanation for why Psyduck had triggered such an abrupt and immediate reaction.

NonAnalogue

Losing her head
Pronouns
she/her
((Just to put this out there, I'm also rolling with this as "Mel plays Mafia," not "NonAnalogue plays Mafia." That said, I do take into account OOC stuff; I just try and figure out how to work that into an IC response.))

Top Bottom