• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[MAFIA WIN] Second Anniversary Fanfic Mafia - Game Thread

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
This means there's an Arsonist who places psychic marks- which means the Arsonist would most likely be a character with psychic capability.
[[note, I'm using brackets to indicate ooc.

I would caution against believing psychic characters to have a higher chance of having that role. Negrek typically melds the role description to fit the player, and doesn't pick roles based on character.

Higher effort post to come after work]]

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts

Mewtwo had sent this to the Ghost, but--

Hi I'm claiming. I get to pick one of two roles if live to N4 or D4 I can't remember exactly will check in a moment. One of these roles is firefighter (the other is rolestopper- stops all actions targetting a player of my choice) and the flavor for the firefighter role is I remove psychic marks. This means there's an Arsonist who places psychic marks- which means the Arsonist would most likely be a character with psychic capability. Arsonist is usually an anti town third party. Arsonist can also kill a bunch of people at once with almost no warning so we should probay get on that.

Vote: unrepentantAuthor
No strong reason other than being one of the three I think people who might be Arsonist I'll probably change later.

Have migraine going to bed will post more later.

Very valid reasoning.

"What in the distortion world is going on?! Why are you talking about LYNCHING someone?!" Arctozolt shouted at the Mewtwo

For once, I agree. What is wrong with this person?!

Great, this two-minded Pokemon didn't understand the situation they were in. Mewtwo aimed a more forceful jab of telepathy at Arctozolt, but transmitted to all the beings.

Lynching is the only way to end this game. If made anyone feel better, presumably the effects of such weren't permanent, as individuals here claim to have participated in such games before and are obviously still alive.

But now. Don't want to go after the human--here's your alternative. Did anyone have an excuse for not going after a supposed "arsonist"? Even the villains in this game would see them as an enemy--the arsonist would kill regardless of alignment The only possible reason not to is if anyone suspected Nickit was lying, but Mewtwo couldn't see a reason for such a ploy this early in the game.

Gather candidates, for now Mewtwo changed his vote to the Delphox, Jesse.

And--of course. Right. Mewtwo was Psychic, but not the arsonist. He had no desire for that kind of chaos. He would roleclaim if pressures forced him to.

[[Not exactly sure familiar with how arsonists work in Mafia. Did some basic reading for this post, but if anyone has more info or experience, would be much obliged.]]

Inkedust

Harbinger of Sunrise
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. ninetales-inkedust
  2. solgaleo-inkedust
  3. xerneas
  4. zoroark-inkedust
The nickit's claim of there being a potential fire starter was deeply worrying. Not only would he have to worry about getting jumped out of the blue by a scum's whims but now there's a third-party capable of burning everybody out? Phione's tits, this would not be easy.

"Do we even have to though? What's the fun in just getting rid of people already?"

"Aye. We shouldn't be jumping to conclusions so quickly. Our goal is to survive, right? How can we do that if we get rid of folks with little rhyme or reason? They'd probably just be innocent and we'd be in an even worst position to begin with."

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Dave pinched the bridge of his nose. "Okay. Okay. Psychic marks. That's..." He glanced over at the Delphox. "Look, I'm not saying that doesn't make sense. But the way these games work? That seems a bit too fucking easy, doesn't it? Just, from the start somebody learns for free that one of the enemies is a Psychic-type? If they did that for real, that's pretty dumb game design." Not that he had much faith in the board game gods being fair, but this... didn't seem like the kind of shit they'd do.

He cast a glance at Jesse again. Why the fuck did he have to find himself defending him of all people first thing out of the gate. Fucker had better not be the actual arsonist.

AbraPunk

Cosmic Guardian
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. luxio
"Aye. We shouldn't be jumping to conclusions so quickly. Our goal is to survive, right? How can we do that if we get rid of folks with little rhyme or reason? They'd probably just be innocent
"Yeah, what he said. We need, like, actual information before we go blindly accusing. Besides, being so quick to jump to conclusions... I think that's a bit suspicious, honestly." Chappie shuddered at the thought of a fire breaking out somewhere. It reminded her of someone she'd rather forget.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
[[No way is Jesse in any way suspect because of his character thats explicitly stated to not be the case y'all. Like literally thatsd right there, we can't assume anything just because of a character's personality/history. >:( ]]

Rascal glanced at the weird Delphox everyone seemed to want to accuse. Then she smirked maliciously. "I bet its whoever accused someone first. Probably that Mewtwo or whatever, or that guy who accused the fox."

[[I Cast sus on Dawningwinds for accussing so quick. Maybe trying to stir up accusations?]]

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
[Is there any player here with more experience? My first understanding is that DW got leaked the specific ability names, which are tailored for characters. I stand by that this would be... an odd kind of a ploy to deploy an hour into the game. But I'm kind of at a standstill until we can ask DW more questions when they wake up.

I feel like going through players are more likely to have psychic marks. For obvious Psychic types we have Lance/Lucario, Mellow/Lugia, and Jesse. (And me, but just trust me guys no arson here.)

Also there's other possibilities. Actually, I think "psychic marks" could be a broad descriptor that could apply to many characters if you're willing to be creative. Like, Ghosts like Altair could do Psychic stuff, maybe. And idk Fusion or Miyako--not familiar with lore.

I'm... going to keep my vote on Jesse just for a vote but nothing narrows it down that much.]

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Lexx idly flipped a page in the game logs he was reading. “I’m thinking I agree with Dave on that one, yeah. The game wouldn’t be any fun if we could guess things that easy.” He chuckled. “That’d be like the equivalent of me getting the power my sis got when she was here—cause let’s face it, it would’ve been a way better fit for me than her.”

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Lexx idly flipped a page in the game logs he was reading. “I’m thinking I agree with Dave on that one, yeah. The game wouldn’t be any fun if we could guess things that easy.” He chuckled. “That’d be like the equivalent of me getting the power my sis got when she was here—cause let’s face it, it would’ve been a way better fit for me than her.”
Dave narrowed his eyes at him. "Your... sis?"

elyvorg

somewhat backwards
Pronouns
she/they
Tefiren emerged from his night-time hiding place and scampered up his tree to watch the group gather, chortling with glee the whole time. Nobody had been caught on the opening night, again! They were so bad at this!

...No. Not Them. It was something else in this game, something called the "mafia". It wasn't Them. It wasn't Them. That made this game better than his old one.

Buzzing with excitement at the thought that everyone was winning and those silly Mafia idiots were already losing, Tefiren watched the group begin talking. He was delighted to find things were already getting interesting! The tall one who talked by thinking didn't seem to have any reason for the accusation he'd thrown out - silly Pokémon, didn't he know that wasn't how this game worked? - but the small fox had something more intriguing to say. Psychic marks? Accusing the tall fiery fox because he might be able to make those?

Tefiren leapt down from his tree, eager to join in the discussion. Two of the Humans - including that same messy one from before - were already saying what he was thinking.
"Exactly! Exactly!" This Human in particular got it, more than most of the others here seemed to. (He looked frustratingly similar to the messy Human from before - similar skin coverings, similar coloured hair - so Tefiren decided he'd start thinking of this one as 'the fun Human' to tell them apart.) "People's tricks in this game might have nothing to do with what it looks like they can do! That's what makes this game so fun! It'd be boring if it was one of the psychic ones just because the small fox thinks she can help us with psychics. Maybe it's just because she's one of those Pokémon that psychics don't work on, and she thinks that's what she can do."

"And the small fox... it is weird that she told us all of this so soon, but it'd also be a lot of stuff for her to have made up out of nowhere." Hm. Something about the way the small fox had just offered that up out of nowhere with no explanation made Tefiren's leaves itch, like it reminded him of that one Human that had annoyed him so much last game.

[[Honestly, my feelings on DawningWinds' claim and subsequent immediate accusation are, for now, that it's genuine, because this is exactly the kind of bewilderingly blunt and straightforward behaviour they displayed last game. I scumread them for that like crazy back then, except they then turned out to be innocent. This is what their innocent play looks like, as far as I can tell, and as strange as it may seem.

[[And re: the flavour - I would be willing to suspect that DW's role PM only flavours things as "psychic marks" because their character is a Dark-type and that's the sensiblest way to flavour it for her, rather than that the arsonist themselves is flavoured as a Psychic-type.]]

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Dave narrowed his eyes at him. "Your... sis?"
Lexx gave Dave a sideways glance. “Hm? Starr. She was in the first game with you.” His face split into a grin. “She got so mad at you. Someone really oughta tell her to take these things less personally... It’s pure luck that you two were opponents, after all.”

Inkedust

Harbinger of Sunrise
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. ninetales-inkedust
  2. solgaleo-inkedust
  3. xerneas
  4. zoroark-inkedust
[[Hoo boy, OOC time.

I'm going to be real, at this point in time, I do think that DawningWinds is telling the truth due to the amount of detail in their accusation (psychic-marks, a choice between roles on D/N4) as well as general playstyle. Yes, there may be a chance that DawningWinds is lying but that brings up the question of what do they gain by lying about this? For me, there are two possibilities:
  1. DawningWinds is the Arsonist and is redirecting attention.
  2. DawningWinds is Mafia and made or brought up the Arsonist to get heat (ha, get it) off the Mafia as a means of pulling off a mis-lynch.
Neither of these come off as very compelling points to me due to my aforementioned reasons. If they're the Arsonist, why bring up that there is one in the game before any deaths have occurred, putting everyone on high alert. If anything, you're painting a massive target on your back by making such a claim. The second point, while stronger is still pretty flimsy. This type of gambit is high risk, low reward early-game, and once the supposed Arsonist is dealt with, the heat will be redirected back to the Mafia, shooting them in the foot, especially if the desired result was to cause a mis-lynch. As elyvorg said, DawningWinds has a distinct playstyle and this type of claim fits right in to it.

As for who the Arsonist could be: I have no idea. There's very little information to go off aside from character traits but role randomisation takes all the wind out of that line of thinking’s sails, so I'm going to wait for more info to come out before making conclusions here

TL:DR—Lying about this sort of thing is going to cause far more harm than good for DawningWinds. The truth is the only compelling reason to bring up this information.]]

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
The sounds of many voices woke Wes from sleep.

At first he briefly panicked, unsure of where he was, until he remembered the events of the previous day. A strange void. Talking Pokemon. Weird creatures and odd powers, a bodiless voice...

He sat up with a grumble. Damn it. If he was still here, then that meant this wasn't all just some sort of fever dream.

After observing the others construct makeshift shelters for themselves out of nowhere, Wes had decided to give it a try and managed to create a small tent for himself. It wasn't much, but it wasn't like he needed anything more. Though, he wasn't used to sleeping without Neo and Novo beside him. It felt...strange to be without them. Wrong, even.

I gotta get out of here as soon as possible.

He mulled over the information he'd received since last night: he'd found some old logs that held details of previous events like this--games, as they were called. Was this all some elaborate game, then? He had a hard time seeing it as one, since these events involved lovely things like death and murder. Gods. Of course he'd be sent to some bizarre realm and get stuck with a bunch of potential murderers. Really, why would he have expected anything less? At this point, Wes was convinced he was nothing but a magnet for rotten luck.

He pushed his way out of the tent and approached the group. Unsurprisingly, they were squabbling amongst themselves. He scanned each of them and tried to remember what the logs had told him about each player: many of the Pokemon were ones that he'd never seen before, but their species had been listed next to their names. He spotted the little feline from yesterday--a Luxio, he remembered--and decided to stand next to them. At the very least, this Pokemon had been friendly towards him. He also spotted the reptilian Pokemon--what was it again? Oh, yes, Tyrunt--and inched away from it. Sure, it hadn't eaten him, and had even praised him, but Wes was in no hurry to be challenged by that thing again. No thanks.

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
It came to his attention very quickly that accusations were already being thrown, and there was talk of...psychic marks? Wes suppressed a shudder. He couldn't help but think Rui would have been a much better fit for something like this, what with her own psychic abilities. Hell, she'd probably have made friends with half the camp already with that obnoxious charm of hers...

Without realizing it, he found himself wondering what she would do in this situation. Wes listened to the accusations and could practically hear Rui's voice in his mind: We won't get anywhere if we keep fighting each other like this!

Oh, gods, she wasn't even here and yet she had a valid point. Wes pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed. Well, maybe it was best to attempt some damage control before everybody self-destructed.

He cleared his throat and spoke up. "Look, I get you're all nervous, but blindly accusing someone without evidence is stupid as hell."

...Huh. Rui probably could have said that better.

AbraPunk

Cosmic Guardian
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. luxio
Chappie glanced over to Wes. "Oh, hello! Uh, you from yesterday-- I don't think I ever got your name, but I guess that doesn't matter right now."

"Look, I get you're all nervous, but blindly accusing someone without evidence is stupid as hell."
"Oh, yeah! That's what I've been saying. If anything, it just makes the accuser seem really suspicious, right? I mean, you'd figure anyone who just throws accusations out there only wants to get rid of everyone else, and obviously, that's the goal of the, uh... what are they called, the Mafia? Something like that..."

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
Chappie glanced over to Wes. "Oh, hello! Uh, you from yesterday-- I don't think I ever got your name, but I guess that doesn't matter right now."

"Oh, yeah! That's what I've been saying. If anything, it just makes the accuser seem really suspicious, right? I mean, you'd figure anyone who just throws accusations out there only wants to get rid of everyone else, and obviously, that's the goal of the, uh... what are they called, the Mafia? Something like that..."

Wes nearly jumped at the Luxio's voice. Hearing Pokemon talk to him was going to take some getting used to, apparently. He blinked down at--huh. He'd forgotten their name.

"It could be they want to get rid of everyone else...or they just want to stir up trouble and turn us against each other," he growled darkly. He narrowed his eyes at the other group members. "After all, for some people, it doesn't matter who dies as long as they get to live." Too many years at Snagem had taught him that much.

AbraPunk

Cosmic Guardian
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. luxio
"It could be they want to get rid of everyone else...or they just want to stir up trouble and turn us against each other," he growled darkly. He narrowed his eyes at the other group members. "After all, for some people, it doesn't matter who dies as long as they get to live."
"Huh. Didn't really think of it like that... Either way, yeah, I guess it's our job to make sure the 'Mafia' don't get to us." She paused for a while. "Oh! Uh, I don't think I told you my name yet-- it's Chappie. So, uh, nice to officially meet you."

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Rascal kept eyeing Wes as he spoke. Yeah, this guy was good. She was glad he was still here. He seemed to be conversing with... that pokemon Koa talked about sometimes. A Luxio.

Blind accusations were pretty stupid. Maybe biting someone until they talked...

Listening to all the annoying talk gave her a decent idea of what was going on though. Everything was some kind of game, and they had to stop a group called the 'Mafia'. Which she still didn't get why she couldn't just attack everyone now-

She trotted closer to Wes and Chappie. "Name's Rascal," she growled. "You two at least seem sensible."

Top Bottom