• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Nihil River

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Owen slammed into Brisa next, but Dave's shields, for the second time, protected from another one of the berserk creature's strikes. He beat his wings and kicked up a cloud of void dust, leaving a trail of embers behind.

Then, he formed his own shields, crossing his arms as he stood outright. Behind the light, that manic, hungry smile returned; his muscles twitched; his body tensed. Shadowy orbs formed around him, each one glimmering with stored power, some gold, some orange, some blue. With deft movements, he dodged or parried countless blows. Wishkeeper looked for an opening but could find none.

Owen laughed again, if it could be considered one. A deep, chittering noise, and his chest rose and fell. No words. An empath would sense no higher thoughts. He saw targets. It wasn't even prey. Just targets.

Though, his eyes did longer on Brisa for a little longer than usual, a fleeting blink of recognition in his slitted pupils.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Owen's dark cackling sent a chill down Dave's spine -- but the passing recognition of Brisa made his heart jump, gave him a Radiant certainty that Owen was in there, they could get him back. His mind raced. Owen was preparing stored attacks that'd smash through both his shields easily. He had to get out of the way, just for this attack at least--

And as he bolted away from Owen, he saw Shadow bolting in the other direction. Hold on, what the fuck.

Shadow ran straight towards the Charizard. "Owen!" he yelled, desperation in his voice. "We can't lose you!"

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa snarled, and for a moment the sheer viciousness of the fight—no banter, no team coordination, just brutal attacks amid lifeless desolation—put her mind in a black pit she'd hoped never to enter again.

You might have to kill him, t'save him killin' yer allies. You can die, though. At least then you won't have to fuckin' suffer no more.

"Ffffuckin' let me be," she hissed through her teeth at the thought, reminding herself somehow of Starr.

She darted in and shattered Owen's shields with rapid, low-energy strikes. The exertion to keep up the pace was considerable, but she could handle it. Her mane glowed, and the crackling bindings of Radiant Arrest began to appear around Owen, hemming him in. He dodged them like they were telegraphed—to him, they were—but it would give her allies a chance to get clear.

"Get th'fuck away!" she yowled. "Jus' let me keep him busy!"

Maybe, for a while, she could.

Last edited:

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
"I'm willin' to bet you ain't gonna save that Shadow, right?"

"If it gets hurt, that's its own damn fault," Vix said flatly, glaring at Owen still. "More importantly, he's going after Brisa..." Ally Switch might not work on Owen and that perceive of his. She was close enough to fire her attacks more accurately, but fucking perceive. And as if just to piss her off more, Owen didn't even look interested in Vix.

"Get th'fuck away!" she yowled. "Jus' let me keep him busy!"

Vix winced, then let out a growl. Not only was that Berserk Bastard ignoring her, but even Brisa was underestimating her. "Don't you bark orders at me like I need your fucking protection!" she shouted, her shadow writhing furiously.

"She has a point. You ain't fightin' with all you got, and you obviously ain't--"

"You shut your fucking mouth,"
Vix growled at her shadow, firing her Night Dazes at the attacks stored behind Owen. At least Brisa manage to keep Owen... somewhat restricted in movement.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Shadow jumped as Brisa's efforts shattered the Protect shields. He landed on Owen's neck, where he... just wrapped his paws around him, clung to him. "Please," he muttered, eyes squeezed shut, clutching the Charizard in a hug. "Remember the other day, when we were reading books?"

Oh my fucking God, Dave thought, if this works I swear we are in a goddamn cartoon.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Owen roared. He'd tried to strike Shadow, but had to dodge out of the way of Brisa's attack first. Perhaps he didn't prioritize Shadow's attacks as much because he did not sense an attack coming from him. But in the end, Shadow now only got to Owen, but he also evaded the detonating stored attack that Owen leapt out of the way from.

The rest of them, however, weaved away from Vix's onslaught. Even the stored attacks were under Owen's control, and now a few of them lobbed themselves toward Vix. The ones with blue, dragon fire...

Owen snarled and tried to shake Shadow off, but his grip was too strong.

"Why? Why are you doing this?!" Wishkeeper said. "Let me kill him. I will hunt him down where he appears next in the Voidlands and keep him safe--from you, and you from him!"

Owen snarled back, tail thrashing. Even more stored attacks appeared and his tail flashed black, but the shadows quickly went away. Even in this crazed state, Owen knew to keep those Shadows down...

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
The rest of them, however, weaved away from Vix's onslaught. Even the stored attacks were under Owen's control, and now a few of them lobbed themselves toward Vix. The ones with blue, dragon fire...

Vix tried to quickly cast a wax on herself, but she just wasn't able to use her radiance for some reason. What bullshit! Her second instinct was to destroy those attacks before they got too close. She casted one large Night Daze to counter the incoming attack, only managing to stop them just before they reached her. They still stung like a bitch, but thank fuck she managed to stop the

"Why? Why are you doing this?!" Wishkeeper said. "Let me kill him. I will hunt him down where he appears next in the Voidlands and keep him safe--from you, and you from him!"

"Would you fucking come off it already?!" Vix snapped at the Shadowzard, a few small, shadowy tendrils writhing off her body. "After I'm done fucking up Owen I'll gladly tear you to shreds too if you don't fucking zip it!" Hey, at least Wishkeeper had some use. The more he pissed her off, the stronger she felt. Another Night Daze was on its way to Owen. The fucker would either dodge it, or maybe Shadow was distracting enough to let him get hit.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
No, killing him wasn't the way—he could turn up fucking anywhere! Lose him to this place forever! They had to calm him down if there was even a chnace of doing so! Now. Now. This was Brisa's chance to reach out to Owen. To show him her heart.

She yowled with effort, and lit up the red dust in the air with the glow of Shining Whiplash, the tethers latching onto the charizard, searing his scales. Brisa took advantage of Shadow's distraction (and any effect it might have on Owen's mind) to make the connection—

"Owen, I know y'don't wanna hurt us, goddamnit! Get yer fuckin' head clear, y'ain't a killer—"

He's killed before. In this state. In the world of the livin'.

"—you'd rather die than hurt yer friends—"

He ain't in control. He ain't choosin' this.

"—please, Owen, don't make me hurt you!"

But you're gonna. You're gonna have to fuckin' hurt him. That's what you're good fer. That's what you do. That's yer duty.

You don't get to be happy.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
"Nobody's killing anyone!" Dave snarled. Radiance was crackling in his fur. "Jesus Christ, just nonlethally knock him out if we need to!"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Perhaps the calls would have gotten to Owen, had they connected. Or perhaps his head was too entrenched in the need for battle and blood. That glimmer in Owen's eyes was reminiscent of, perhaps, what Jesse had seen in Brisa so long ago--that monster that Brisa feared she'd been was now facing her directly. The weapon, the beast...

Owen finally reached for Shadow, finding him to be more of a nuisance than anything, but then weaved away from the last of Brisa's Whiplashes. He let go of Shadow--who remained on his neck--and swerved directly for Brisa next, mouth agape with flames.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"You're not a fuckin' WEAPON, Owen—"

He is, though. And he ain't got strength left to act otherwise.

The tethers snapped, and Brisa yelped at the mental shock. She'd had pushback before, but never this kind of no-sell. This is hopeless. You ain't got a chance. Not without her here. She took up a stance ready to dodge the incoming attack and wished with all her heart that Starr was there with her.

You and her t'gether could take on anythin'. Any foe, any challenge, any struggle. Anythin' at all.

"I want you by my side," she whispered, to a friend separated from her by life and death. "I need you."

She ain't here, but she'd fight with you if she could. She ain't here, but you can fight as if she were.

Brisa's body erupted in shadows and electricity, and she cried out from the power running through her, more power than she'd ever felt before, the kind of power that could overcome anything. She surged forward like a living arc of lightning, her heart filled with fear, yearning, desperation—! ...but also with euphoria. With love.

The attack, unknown to Owen from all their many sparring matches, hit him like a luxio-shaped supercell.

Brisa used Void Arcstrike!

Last edited:

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
It caught Owen by surprise. The target did something unexpected, unfamiliar, and so he defaulted to his fallback, crossing his arms to form another Protect barrier. In an instant, the attack was blocked, but it did give him pause. His crazed eyes locked onto Brisa, Shadow still around his neck...

The deep, low growl and his fiery breath was right in front of Brisa, separated by nothing but a thin barrier of gold. If there was any chance to speak to him, it would be now.

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
Vix was already ready to attack again. Brisa and Shadow finally stopped Owen from moving! This would be such a clear shot! A mouthless grin fell upon Vix, more than ready to take this chance.

But her body didn't do anything. Hell, she wasn't even able to melt... "What the hell?! What the hell!"

"Are you seriously ready to attack Owen, right now, with your friends right fuckin' there?"

Did her shadow always have the power to stop her?! Since fucking when?! That didn't make any goddamn sense! "What better chance am I gonna have to beat this fucker?" Vix growled, glaring at the Charizard. "I can't beat him if I don't beat him, asshole!"

"Then leave it for someone that can actually fuckin' think straight to do it. I sure as fuck ain't lettin' you fuck this up more than you already have."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa stared Owen down. She wouldn't show fear. If he didn't listen...

Dyin' is yer reward fer fallin' short. It ain't even like it'll last, here.

Well, then she wouldn't fall short. Not now. Not for her friend.

"...I'm acting like a feral... But I can't help it, y'know? If I get stressed, I kinda fall back on those instincts, which is good for survival, right?"
"Civilised pokémon tend to think they're dangerous, violent, not worth the same mercies they afford each other. Even 'honourable' townies would consider shootin' a feral in the back. I get called 'feral' a lot. ...It can get tough."

"Owen, get a fuckin' grip," she growled, her voice steady despite the blacklight. "I know it's hard, but you're better than this. Y'ain't a violent animal—"

"I don't look at you and see anythin' other than a decent fella I'd be pleased to call 'friend.'"
"I have a lot of people worried that I might lose it if I don't focus. That's why I meditate so much. It helps clear my mind."

"—you're my goddamn friend, and I know you're still fuckin' in there. Clear yer mind. Like we practiced t'gether—"

"I was a monster. An actual, bloodthirsty monster, Brisa."
"I don't feel any less safe around you, knowin' what you just told me."

"—'cause I know I ain't wrong to trust you. ...You won't hurt me, Owen. You'll keep me safe."

Brisa walked forward, breathless, heart thundering, and put her forehead against her friend's scales.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Brisa stared Owen down. She wouldn't show fear. If he didn't listen...

His closest target was coming closer. Beneath that fur he sensed muscles and a beating heart and bones, all of them perfectly within his reach to break and burn.

"Owen, get a fuckin' grip,"

She was strong, and she had an advantage against him. He would have to be careful about electricity, but even something like that could be dodged and neutralized if it originated from a Pokemon. It wasn't fast like the lightning from the skies.

"I know it's hard, but you're better than this. Y'ain't a violent animal—"

Violent animal? Violent... What did she mean? That didn't matter.

There was a flash of contemplation in Owen's eyes, one that made him lost his stance. Wishkeeper took this opportunity to blast him from behind, but a quick and deft movement ricocheted the blast back at Wishkeeper's chest, making him grunt and stumble back.

Clear yer mind. Like we practiced t'gether—"

Meditation... That was right. Did that matter? Why? His target was talking to him, wasn't he supposed to be attacking it? Something... He wasn't supposed to be attacking it, but he didn't know why.

You won't hurt me, Owen. You'll keep me safe.

He knew why.

Brisa walked forward, breathless, heart thundering, and put her forehead against her friend's scales.

Cold silence filled the air. Owen's flame crackled like fireworks far away. Wishkeeper looked for another opening, but even now, he couldn't see one. Brisa was too close to risk an all-out blast... But why did he care? No, that was because he'd hurt Owen too much. And they would retaliate. And then what?

He stood, bringing a hand toward Brisa, reaching down. At first, he held her by the back of her neck, like he was about to pull her for a final assault. But he stopped there, slackening his grip.

Then, he fell to his knees, going on all fours again, and pulled Brisa closer. He was shaking. His flame went down to half its size as his wings wrapped around Brisa. Shadow was somewhere on his back; Wishkeeper grunted, but said nothing.

Finally, the monster spoke. "Brisa..." He squeezed a little harder. "I... why... why here..."

His voice was so deep now. It was like Wishkeeper's, but a little higher. It barely sounded like Owen anymore, but that little light in his words, even now... Owen had returned. He was teetering, he was trying his hardest to keep his focus, but he was there.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Shadow remained glued to Owen, shivering, eyes closed, muttering something, clinging to him for dear life as he tried to shake him off. It didn't seem to be doing anything, predictably enough. Well, whatever, let him do his thing.

That didn't matter. Brisa was approaching, trying, and Owen wasn't attacking. He wouldn't hurt her. He wouldn't. And with every second Owen stared her down without attacking, that pure conviction blazed stronger, Radiance buzzing in his ears.

Y'aint a violent animal.

Yeah. He wasn't. He wasn't.

Dave padded closer again. He might have spoken, but distracting him from Brisa for the moment seemed like a very bad idea even with the Radiance coursing through his veins. He took a deep breath, watched, ready to protect if he had to, either of them, both.

And finally, Owen was back, pulling Brisa in, speaking.

"Owen? You okay?" he said, his voice shaking.

Shadow was still clinging to the Charizard's neck, breathing easier, tears at the corners of his eyes. Good God, could he just get the fuck back here and stop embarrassing himself.

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
"There. It's done. Even if you did attack, it wouldn't have done shit other than keep this bullshit goin'. Now get a fuckin' grip, before you pull some shit you'll regret."

That actually worked. Owen was being brought back down to ear-- hell, and it was all thanks to Brisa. Brisa swooped in and saved the day. Brisa tame a Berserk Charizard. Brisa was a hero. Vix wasn't needed, because there was a hero among them.

Vix clenched her fists tightly, her body slowly starting to melt. She wanted to hit something. She wanted to break something. Some one. But Owen was getting back to normal, and if she fucked that up, Brisa would be on her ass in an instant. And if Vix couldn't beat her in the tournament, she sure as hell couldn't beat her here.

"God... Goddammit..." Vix choked and growled. Her flame felt hot, hotter than. Hot enough for it to hurt. Her body almost entirely blackened, keeping only the faintest traces of purple. Long wispy tendrils of shadows rose off her body, reaching higher than before. "G-God... dammit."

It was all her fucking Shadow's fault, wasn't it? Vix was fine before that piece of shit tried to get in the way! She could've handled this problem by her fucking self if it wasn't for that asshole! That worthless, shapeless fucking mass! Damn it! Damn it!!!

From her shadow, writhing with darkness, Vix's Shadow started to rise. There wasn't a shape to it, it was just a tall dark... thing, and it looked like it was tethered to Vix's actual shadow. The only features anyone could pick up on where the two bright, yellow eyes in a constant state of a fierce glare. It took a deep breath, then shook its head. "This is real fuckin' sad."

Hearing it outside of her head for the first time, it sounded strangely... familiar? It had a weird accent, but... Vix could have sworn she heard that voice before. Or, she would have, if she wasn't literally and figuratively boiling over. "Fuck you," she spat, not even bothering to look at that bastard.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Brisa... I... why... why here..."

"Don't think about it none," said Brisa, her heart still drumming hard. "Jus' keep yer shit t'gether. Y'didn't hurt anyone, focus on that."

It was okay. They were okay. She kept her forehead and one paw against Owen's huking form, and shuddered with... Something. It didn't feel like fear. Adrenaline, relief, something. Not fear.

You were fuckin' terrified.

Not fear.

"Owen? You okay?"

Brisa gasped for air and said nothing more, letting someone else take the duty of speaking to Owen for a moment. It hurt not to do more, but she was just... She couldn't do it.

As the shock went from nothingness, to nausea and a hot chill throughout her body, she realised she'd been hurt after all. Owen's onslaught had struck her, somehow. Judging from the rising pain, he'd injured her pretty badly. She wasn't even sure how. She had to stay upright, hold on, keep her grip on her mind.

It never matters how tired you are. How much it hurts. You'll jus' keep goin' 'til there's nothin' left to do or you die.

Last edited:

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Owen? You okay?" he said, his voice shaking.

Owen shook his head slowly, almost like he was trying to figure out if he was at least slightly okay. He wasn't injured. He'd dodged every single hit. And even now, spending so much time trying to bring himself down, he was so painfully aware of every single thing around him. His Perceive was back and in full force. Every movement, every twitch, every breath in the whole vicinity, he could feel.

He did not miss this.

Owen pulled Brisa a little closer. His muscles relaxed. He reached back and pulled Shadow--with some resistance--until he was cradling the dark Poochyena, too. Wishkeeper seethed in silence, but relented for one reason or another and stepped to Vix.

"Are you satisfied?" he said, glaring.

Owen could talk. He'd demonstrated as much. But he was too tired, mentally, to try it again. He just wanted to rest. He was too ashamed of himself He'd nearly killed them. They were never going to forget that, never look at him the same way again, never--

"Owen," Wishkeeper said. "That's enough."

Owen made a sound somewhere between a yelp and a whine. It was deep but sharp, enough that it startled even Wishkeeper, though he only showed it with a flicker of his golden embers.

"If they aren't going to leave you alone and they won't let me keep you safe," Wishkeeper said, "Then I will just have to make sure you are safe enough with them." He didn't look very satisfied, but something Owen said had resonated with him. To think that it's the truth, and yet... it's wrong. Owen seemed so certain of that.

...And, practically speaking... he couldn't stand up to them all. It would be more dangerous to go against them, for now.

"But am I safe to them?" Owen suddenly said, barely a whisper. "Even now, I... I feel like I could..."

"Tsk..." Wishkeeper glanced off.

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
Owen pulled Brisa a little closer. His muscles relaxed. He reached back and pulled Shadow--with some resistance--until he was cradling the dark Poochyena, too. Wishkeeper seethed in silence, but relented for one reason or another and stepped to Vix.

"Are you satisfied?" he said, glaring.

Vix glared up at Wishkeeper, then shifted her gaze over to Owen and the others. Something burned inside her chest, hotter than her flames. Was it rage or resentment for being ignored all the way to the end? She was the first to go after Owen when he and Wishkeeper went away. She was there when Wishkeeper got aggressive. She was the first to stand her ground when Owen went Berserk, and she was the one trying her damnedest to stop him... to help him...

Putting it like that, what she was feeling wasn't rage at all, was it...

"What? Ain't got shit to say now, huh?"

Vix shut her eyes, her body boiling and sizzling as her emotions burned hotter. There were a thousand things she wanted to shout at Wishkeeper and her Shadow right now; not meeting that asshole's remark with some of her own was unbearable, but she just... couldn't say anything. Every word got stuck inside her. So she did the only thing she could, and left in wrathful silence. She didn't care where.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom