• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Spinda Cafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"The food thing? No clue. There are folks from another world here all named after weapons, too. And a fella from another world still, and names from that place get translated as metals or somethin'. We ain't figured it out yet."

Luz shrugged. "More about Brisa? Fair'nough."

"Well, let's see," she mused, scratching her cheek fur thoughtfully. "Her pa was a human. Fella got turned into a delphox when he was young, sent to her world from another t'save it. Ma was a feral of the Escarpa clan, my clan. Not a terribly sociable gal, but tough. That parentage is a recipe fer bein' damn strong, but lonesome somethin' fierce. Bein' sent here to do somethin' useful with that strength is just about the best thing that ever happened to her."

What else? She didn't want to list off the poor gal's problems to a total stranger. Nor to hype her up ahead of a first meeting. And as much as it would be fun to try to play matchmaker, that didn't seem wise, especially with Kate four drinks into the evening. What was it like to know Brisa?

"You'll never meet a gal who gives more of a darn about everyone 'n' everythin'. She'd put herself in front of an attack fer you soon as look at ya. She don't judge fer the darkness in a person's past. An' she'll take ya up on a sparrin' match any time of day or night, no holds barred."

Luz took back her badge and threw up a projected image of her host.

tumblr_cd0b8331f66621eb829e6ebbc26249ea_5882b387_1280.png

Luz's fanged grin grew wider still. "She'll be more'n pleased pleased t'meet yer good self, of that I'm certain."

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
"The food thing? No clue. There are folks from another world here all named after weapons, too. And a fella from another world still, and names from that place get translated as metals or somethin'. We ain't figured it out yet."

Luz shrugged. "More about Brisa? Fair'nough."

"Well, let's see," she mused, scratching her cheek fur thoughtfully. "Her pa was a human. Fella got turned into a delphox when he was young, sent to her world from another t'save it. Ma was a feral of the Escarpa clan, my clan. Not a terribly sociable gal, but tough. That parentage is a recipe fer bein' damn strong, but lonesome somethin' fierce. Bein' sent here to do somethin' useful with that strength is just about the best thing that ever happened to her."

What else? She didn't want to list off the poor gal's problems to a total stranger. Nor to hype her up ahead of a first meeting. And as much as it would be fun to try to play matchmaker, that didn't seem wise, especially with Kate four drinks into the evening. What was it like to know Brisa?

"You'll never meet a gal who gives more of a darn about everyone 'n' everythin'. She'd put herself in front of an attack fer you soon as look at ya. She don't judge fer the darkness in a person's past. An' she'll take ya up on a sparrin' match any time of day or night, no holds barred."

Luz took back her badge and threw up a projected image of her host.

Luz's fanged grin grew wider still. "She'll be more'n pleased pleased t'meet yer good self, of that I'm certain."

Kate tilted her head at the mention of Pokémon from different worlds having different themed names. She supposed that it might be another one of Diyem's doings again, but then again perhaps those worlds were just full of weirdos to begin with. The Sneasel nodded along with Luz's description of Brisa and stared at the projected image from her badge, before cracking a smile back.

"Well I'll be looking forward to it. If her idea of a folk hero's someone who can have a good time like you, I'm sure we'll get along just fine." she said, before leaning on her shoulder.

"That said, who exactly's outfitting you for this whole 'save the world' thing? I didn't exactly come in all kitted out with a scarf and badge in that crater, so who set you all up with your gear?"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Luz shrugged. "All provided by regular merchants and the Guilds courtesy of God Squad's wallet. You should be able to get whatever ya want on their tab. I'll text you the particulars on strategy fer fights 'n' such if you'd care to read up on that when makin' yer purchasin' decisions."

The zeraora-shade crossed her arms behind her head and tipped back on her chair, somehow not falling to the ground despite seemingly balancing on almost nothing. Perks of minor levitation. She pointed with her tail to a spherical object barely-visible inside her faintly translucent chest.

"You'll want one of these, too. Ultra Stone. Get one from Chip's Lab when ya care to. The shade inside will bond to ya, help take care of ya in battle. I lend Brisa some of my power durin' fights, watch her back."

The tail moved to point at Kate.

"You seem like a gal who works hard and plays hard. I like that! It sure suits ya fer this 'job' better'n some. And on that note... how 'bout I see ya in the trainin' grounds sometime? Or maybe even the Colosseum if'n ya fancy a tussle with an audience? How about it, partner?"

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
Luz shrugged. "All provided by regular merchants and the Guilds courtesy of God Squad's wallet. You should be able to get whatever ya want on their tab. I'll text you the particulars on strategy fer fights 'n' such if you'd care to read up on that when makin' yer purchasin' decisions."

The zeraora-shade crossed her arms behind her head and tipped back on her chair, somehow not falling to the ground despite seemingly balancing on almost nothing. Perks of minor levitation. She pointed with her tail to a spherical object barely-visible inside her faintly translucent chest.

"You'll want one of these, too. Ultra Stone. Get one from Chip's Lab when ya care to. The shade inside will bond to ya, help take care of ya in battle. I lend Brisa some of my power durin' fights, watch her back."

The tail moved to point at Kate.

"You seem like a gal who works hard and plays hard. I like that! It sure suits ya fer this 'job' better'n some. And on that note... how 'bout I see ya in the trainin' grounds sometime? Or maybe even the Colosseum if'n ya fancy a tussle with an audience? How about it, partner?"

"Heh, I think I'll take you up on that," the Sneasel replied. "But before we get down into the nitty gritty of getting kitted out, let's take a night off and get sloshed a bit."

The Sneasel clapped her claw onto the counter, before calling off to the Spinda.

"Hey barkeep!" she cried. "Let's put those mixology skills of yours to the test! Let's see you take on making a tall mug of dunkel!"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Sounds good t'me, partner!" replied Luz, heartily, still not letting on that she was incapable of getting sloshed.

Not getting drunk didn't stop her having a good time, though. Kate was good company, she decided. The sneasel rogue was good news, and they sorely needed some good news after recent events. Luz took to the continued drinking with good cheer, and punched some promising sounding numbers into the jukebox. Fortunately it didn't seem the regulars or Spinda themself minded the two of them getting a little rowdy.

Some drinks later and into the night, they'd progressed to singing along to the music. Slurred speech and one hopeless attempt at an arm wrestle later, and Luz knew it was time to walk Kate somewhere warm to spend the night. Thank goodness—and Maple of the God Squad—for the portal to Destiny Village. Kate could rest up at the Guild dorms and be ready to gear up in the morning.

...Assuming she survived the hangover.

Luz, of course, would be ready for the next interesting event when it came.

<><><><><>​

Last edited:
R16 ~ Brisa & Aria

ExplosiveTurkey

gib bludoge pls
Pronouns
him/his
"...Y'know, this place never stops feeling the same," Aria observed, looking around the insides of the 'cafe' with a chuckle in her tone. "Even when it's in a different world."

There was a light limp in her walk, the result of cracked bones from putting in juuust a bit too much effort. They'd heal soon enough, though. And a brief visit to the infirmary had left the staff baffled by her nonchalance, which made it all the more worth it.

"Anyways," she began, glancing at the luxray beside her. Her drawl dripped with dry humor. "I'll be holding you to your word. Drink up till you're spilling your deepest, darkest secrets — you've got me a bit curious by now."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa couldn't help but maintain a crooked grin as Aria displayed the sort of indifference to her own injuries that seemed common to those Brisa got along with best. Perhaps she should introduce Aria to some of them. In a way, wasn't she already a friend of Owen? Maybe, maybe not. Brisa slouched over the table they'd chosen and glanced abut with fondness at fixtures and faces she'd grown used to during the posse's weeks in Treasure Town. This was Aria's third Spinda Café. Must be weird. Gods, everything about Cibus was so weird. She loved it.

"Get hammered and spill everythin'?" she replied. "That's easily done fer me. An' done with pleasure!"

She'd be interested to hear Aria's own Shadow-tinged stories in reciprocation, that was certain.

Brisa gestured to the proprietor and bartender for service, and after a brief exchange in which she confirmed that, yes, she was that same shinx who'd spent most evenings here back in the summer, and that this was not the riolu companion she'd been seen with back then, and it was good to meet again, she ordered drinks. A dark ale for herself and... She cocked her head at Aria.

"What can I get ya?" she asked. "Whatever y'fancy, drink or food, 's'on me."

ExplosiveTurkey

gib bludoge pls
Pronouns
him/his
"Hm... hardest whiskey they've got. The burn's nice," Aria replied, almost offhandedly. There were more important things to focus on, like the brief moment of mistaken identity. Once their drinks were poured and at their table, leaving them in relative privacy, she took a quick little sip before drumming her fingers against the glass. "Ssso, who'd they think I was?"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa ordered two bottles of the whiskey. She'd want some herself after getting through her ale, and she had a feeling Aria could handle it. Brisa certainly could. She took a long draught and set to answering the lucario.

"Back when the posse was stationed at Marowak Dojo, we had a couple members who ended up settin' off fer home early. One was a riolu by th'name of Curio. We, ah, got along. Had drinks here sometimes. Spinda thought you might be her."

Something in Aria's expression made Brisa sigh and roll her eyes.

"An' afore ya ask, yeah, I might've had a thing fer her. Don't you go smirkin' at me, now! I'm seein' one of my teammates, an' since she ain't the jealous type, I've got eyes fer another, so I ain't exactly tryin' fer anythin' here. That much I'll tell ya fer free."

Aria's comment from earlier about being 'irresistible' made Brisa wonder if she'd try to coax a further admission that Brisa would consider her worth pursuing. The answer to that was behind at least another drink or two, though. She paused to down the rest of her ale and let Aria get a word in.

ExplosiveTurkey

gib bludoge pls
Pronouns
him/his
"Don't you go smirkin' at me, now! I'm seein' one of my teammates, an'—"

The humor briefly died in Aria's eyes, though she immediately hid it with a deep swig from her glass. Then, deciding it was much too small for her, she set it aside and reached for the bottle itself.

"All that for free? I'm getting a good deal here, then," she said, smirking in direct response to being told not to do just that. "But don't worry, I'm not really trying for anything here, myself. I'm a one guy kinda gal, and I already mentioned having a partner back home. It's just too much fun being a tease... even if I never really go anywhere with it."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa chuckled at Aria's contrariness and decided to try out being a tease herself. And indulge the poor gal, who wasn't asking to get shot down.

"First time fer everythin'. You sure y'couldn't be a 'one guy, one gal' kinda gal?" she asked, and winked at Aria.

ExplosiveTurkey

gib bludoge pls
Pronouns
him/his
The lucario raised a brow, eyes twinkling with amusement. Two could play at that game, and with their boundaries already established, guilt wouldn't be getting in her way.

Aria leaned forwards, propping her chin up on a paw. With every word, her voice dropped closer and closer to a purr. "Perfectly sure, unless you're willing to try and prove me wrong. In which case… go right ahead~"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa grinned, not minding the vanishingly rare feeling that any advances would be welcome, even if they went nowhere.

"I'll do my best," she said, with a chuckle, "when the opportunity presents."

She sipped at her drink, letting herself forget her present troubles for a while. This could be fun.

"So, I couldn't help but notice durin' our throwdown that you held back at first. I got a feelin' off my Whiplash, like maybe yer strength is more'n equal to what yer world can throw at ya. Am I far wrong?"

ExplosiveTurkey

gib bludoge pls
Pronouns
him/his
Back to more substantial topics, it seemed. Not that Aria minded, dropping the flirtatious tone like it hadn't even existed.

"You're... far from wrong," she admitted with a sigh, idly sloshing the bottle around. "I wasn't meaning to hold back that much, though. It's just second nature by now to keep myself in check, and it's hard to shake that off even when I'm in a different body."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa offered Aria a sympathetic, rueful smile.

"Can y'believe I know exactly what y'mean? I'll just go ahead an' guess that one of yer parents were a former human. That's the usual explanation fer our predicament, it seems."

Her smile widened as Aria's face betrayed the accuracy of Brisa's assumption. Still, maybe she should lighten the mood.

"Pity I can't pay you a visit. My real body is tough enough to Play Rough, if y'know what I mean," she said, barely keeping a straight face.

ExplosiveTurkey

gib bludoge pls
Pronouns
him/his
Aria barely got to process the loaded statement before Brisa threw a curveball at her, wrenching out a reflexive chuckle.

"...And here I thought I'd be getting a break from the awful puns," Aria said, shaking her head with a grin. "But as tempting as that sounds, I prefer to Play Nice in my free time. Fighting kinda stopped being fun for me a while ago. It's different here, since I've got a fresh set of powers to play around with, but back home... it's like having your favorite dish for every meal for the rest of your life."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Sure. I guess I get that. Fer me, fightin' was never a challenge 'gainst anyone 'sides my parents, so Cibus was a dream come true, bein' able to go all-out versus real opponents. I guess in yer position, as an Omen Hero, retirin' from all that must sound appealin' after a while."

She chuckled awkwardly. "Weren't makin' a pun though. More of a double entendre."

She averted her gaze, feeling a little stupid.

"Jokes an' euphemisms aside, I'm curious what it's like fer you, bein' a human's daughter and . . . bein' with a human. 'Cause, you know... That's my position too, an' I get the impression yer own experience is less fraught than mine."

ExplosiveTurkey

gib bludoge pls
Pronouns
him/his
"You're probably right, because I never even knew about it until recently," Aria admitted, giving her a rueful smile. "My parents always kept their past under wraps, even from me. I trusted them not to keep secrets unless they had to, so I never questioned them about it. They were different, and I was different — that much was obvious, but most folks in town respected them enough to not make it feel obvious, which was all that mattered to me. And as for being with a human..."

She trailed off, before shrugging. "Mike and I keep it under wraps as well, but even if we didn't, I doubt anything would change. Someone being a former human doesn't really mean much to the average 'mon in my world. Judging by the way you were emphasizing it though, I'm guessing the same doesn't apply to yours?"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa pawed at her chin a little.

"Well, I only know how local folks took it with respect to my pa an' myself. Which is t'say, he was lauded fer his efforts to save the world, but never taken in like one of their own. His surname is still 'Stranger', even after spendin' twenty-five years there. Myself, well... I took my ma's clan name. 'Escarpa'. Means I'm ostensibly one of the Escarpa, an' they get treated as scarcely people by some."

She chewed her cheek and studied Aria. She'd taken the question to indicate concern with how others treated them. That hadn't quite been the idea, though...

"Aria, what's it like to stay with a human, long term? Does it work, whatever the hell other folks do or don't know about ya? Are you . . . happy?"

ExplosiveTurkey

gib bludoge pls
Pronouns
him/his
Despite the fact that she was halfway through a bottle of liquor, Aria looked the most sober she'd been so far.

"I... don't know."

She struggled to find her words for the next few seconds, before punctuating it with a shrug.

"In terms of our relationship, yeah, we're a good fit for each other. But as far as humans go, Mike's an odd one. He'd probably die if you looked at him the wrong way, but in return, he made my dad's effect on my strength look like a joke. Which was good, because my world would've been screwed otherwise. Problem is, when you've got that much power, you've got a responsibility to use it. Every second I spend doing something that makes me happy is a second I could've spent saving someone, which is a mentality that got in my way often."

A humorless chuckle. "I've learnt how to deal with it by now, but it's still not something I'd recommend."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom