• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Wigglytuff's Guild

Status
Not open for further replies.

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"...yeah. After I talked with you I wanted to start on fixin' things with folks. I thought I'd give Curio space first and patch things up with Starr. It, uh... didn't work out."

Brisa really didn't want to have to spell it out. She'd been plenty earnest enough for one interaction already. Hopefully Astrid would connect the dots and figure out that she'd had her teeth in Starr's neck and regretted it. It was an obvious enough conclusion.

TheGOAT

🗿
Pronouns
Him/his
Partners
  1. serperior
  2. alolatales-goat
“Oh. Ohhhh.

Of course—the wounds. Astrid had only caught a glimpse of them before now. Those hadn’t been caused by that, nor by the distortion world. They were too fine, too deep, too… deliberate. Although most of them were fading now, it wasn’t hard to imagine how they got there. And it wasn’t hard to imagine why, either.

Starr.

The sheets underneath her paws wrinkled as she gripped them tighter. She’d try to dwell on that one later. For now…

“The effort is what counts,” she said, easing her grip and resting her paws on the pillow instead. “But, hm. We sure can’t afford to fight amongst one another, though. Not after what we just… y’know. The Shadows.” She flashed her friend a smile. “Either way, I’m glad you’re in one piece after all that, scars and all. You’ve had one helluva week, am I right?”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa nodded and rubbed her head sheepishly.

"I guess so. I don't know who's heard what about the Reverse World. I kinda didn't want everyone crowdin' round me askin' if I was okay. It's, uh. Not like it's the first time I've spent days trapped without food, or anythin'. Not that big a deal."

Except that a strong gust of wind from a landing flying-type that morning had made her flatten her ears back against her head and cower. Except that she hadn't felt at ease until she'd stashed plenty of food and medical supplies in her satchel. Except that when she woke up that morning and realised Starr was absent, she'd become short of breath for a moment before realising that this wasn't the cave, she wasn't alone or trapped, she hadn't killed Starr, she was fine.

She was fine.

"I'm fine. I had Starr with me. Of course I made it out. Stronger than ever."

TheGOAT

🗿
Pronouns
Him/his
Partners
  1. serperior
  2. alolatales-goat
Astrid believed her.

“It won’t happen again.” Her voice was serious, suddenly. All traces of warmth had been extinguished. “Not on my life.”

Radiance flowed through her veins like a river—not violently like before, but gently, uncharacteristically gently, soaking into her aura. There was no more deafening burn; only a soft tingle remained.

Whatever these bodies are… The Vulpix broke eye contact with Brisa and stared out the doorway, where Cibus was waiting. They have great power.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa's heart sank as she watched Astrid begin to burn with purpose from her goddamn sickbed.

Ranger Escarpa opened her mouth to answer.

"We're partners in this posse," she told her friend. "We gotta count on each other. I don't wanna see you in the infirmary week after week, y'hear?"

It'll break my heart.

TheGOAT

🗿
Pronouns
Him/his
Partners
  1. serperior
  2. alolatales-goat
“Eheh… yeah. I guess I really bombed that one, huh?”

Her amusement cut short while the tingling remained. She massaged her own shoulder with tender care, back and forth, as she sought upon memories of the battle. Her brain was taking its sweet time clearing away the fog.

“It hurt. It felt… strange, but it definitely hurt a lot. I don’t think I want to try that again.”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"I hope you don't! But... I'm glad you're safe."

Brisa looked about awkwardly for a moment, unsure of herself.

"Say, Astrid. I'll keep comin' round to check on you while you're restin' up if you like. And after you're free'n clear... how about we make up for lost time a little? I still ain't had the chance to duel you, and... I think I'd like to get to know you better. Maybe we can go on that river da- uh, day out, together. I, ah. Like your company."

That was an understatement. Astrid was kind, brave, kicked ass, and awful pretty. And some kind of ranger, too? If only Brisa could have someone like her as a ranger team partner back home. Oh-

Oh gods, her fuckin' ears were burnin' again. Why. Why today.

TheGOAT

🗿
Pronouns
Him/his
Partners
  1. serperior
  2. alolatales-goat
"Say, Astrid. I'll keep comin' round to check on you while you're restin' up if you like. And after you're free'n clear... how about we make up for lost time a little? I still ain't had the chance to duel you, and... I think I'd like to get to know you better. Maybe we can go on that river da- uh, day out, together. I, ah. Like your company."

Astrid’s nose twitched. In an instant, she was smiling warmly again. “Thanks Brisa. I mean it.”

For being there the moment I woke up. For trusting me.

“And I’d like that.” She poked Brisa’s shoulder and giggled, “Just text me when. I won’t be stuck in here long.”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Shit, Brisa should probably learn how to text. Okay. Okay.

"Yeah, of course you won't! You're tough, I can tell."

Brisa smiled back, and not for the first time, felt a mixture of relief, confusion and pain that for as long as she was in Cibus, she could be happy...

"So it's agreed. I'll check on ya, and when you're out, we take to the river for an afternoon. Sounds swell. I'm uh, really lookin' forward to it. ...um. Is there anythin' else I could do for ya?"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Ah, don't worry about me. I'm a trooper."

She looked at Astrid's worried face, sighed, and relented. "Okay. I'll take care of myself. Just so long as you rest up yourself, Astrid. That's only fair, y'hear?"

Brisa felt herself relax, even though her ears were still warm, and she fell into casual conversation for a while, the sort she wasn't at all used to even after nearly a month on Cibus. But... Astrid was easy to be around. Even with the hot ears. Yeah, she'd think about that later.

"Alright," she said at last. "I'd best be goin'. I told Curio I'd go with her to Destiny Village and see about those new livin' arrangements. Wish me luck?"

She almost didn't want to leave.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Oh, huh. That was... kinda sweet, actually.

Brisa paused and wrestled with her head a minute, before pulling the covers over Astrid's sleeping form, and let herself out.

Friends. They were... friends. And oh, how warm it made her feel.

<><><><><><>​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom